Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:01:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Stocks, bonds and investing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stocks, bonds and investing  (Read 102689 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: May 19, 2012, 08:50:02 PM

No, it's an option for the return. Ye Olde paper bonds, even. They've otherwise done away with paper bonds almost completely.

I did a bit of quick homework and they seemed decent (if ultra-conservative, but that's me) to stash some money in to hold some value vs stashing it in a mattress. I really don't want to invest in stocks, but I won't get into my crazy coot rant about how the stock market is destroying 'merica.
Hey, I'm still pissy my company match is all in their stock. :( I don't buy my company stock otherwise, and I'd divest of it if I could.

I've got my 401 split between bonds, large-scale indexes (stock portfolios designed to mimic the S&P 500, that sort of thing), and one of those retirement-date funds. I've got more in company stock than I'd like, but they're matching a sizeable amount a year, so...*shrug*.

Right now I'm deciding if I want to bump from 16 to 17% withholding next year. 16 is probably enough, though. I haven't actually seen a real raise in five years. It's eaten up by bumping my 401 a full point and benefits increases.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #106 on: May 20, 2012, 09:42:50 PM

A match is a match. Assuming the stock doesn't drop to 10% of the value you got it for, you're going to make out like a bandit on any match you get.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #107 on: May 20, 2012, 09:56:50 PM

Yeah, I miss the matching Walmart used to give when I was there. Both 401k and stock. The library, it matches nada, though I am vested in the NYS retirement system through an old loophole, so that's cool. If there's any money in it twenty years from now.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #108 on: May 21, 2012, 07:53:28 AM

Facebook sinks ~15% today.  That didn't take long.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #109 on: May 21, 2012, 03:33:18 PM

Here's why.  Essentially, Facebook is past it's exponential growth phase and is now at best linear, if not completely plateaued (there's another chart out there that plots Facebook growth against Friendster and MySpace growth, that essentially says plateauing is the best case scenario now, the historical record would call for a slow death).  The monetization it might manage on its existing userbase does not justify a $100B valuation, no matter how you spin it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #110 on: May 21, 2012, 04:15:10 PM

Their quarter over quarter ad revenue growth was even in the negative a couple of times according to that graph.  Interesting stuff.

I'll stand by my theory that the big time shareholders (including Zuckerberg) were cashing out at just the right time with the IPO because they knew that it was going to be a slow declining platform. 
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #111 on: May 21, 2012, 04:20:29 PM

Their quarter over quarter ad revenue growth was even in the negative a couple of times according to that graph.  Interesting stuff.

I'll stand by my theory that the big time shareholders (including Zuckerberg) were cashing out at just the right time with the IPO because they knew that it was going to be a slow declining platform. 
It does kind of remind me of the AOL/Time Warner merger, they're converting hype to money before the reality sets in.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #112 on: May 21, 2012, 09:38:50 PM

Fuck, Zuckerberg is already richer than the Google guys.  It's insane. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: May 22, 2012, 09:22:53 AM

Well, sure, but is he happy ?

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: May 22, 2012, 12:24:54 PM

Doubtful, you ever see how the man ties a tie?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #115 on: May 22, 2012, 03:51:18 PM

Happiness is having no idea how to tie a tie, trust me.

Well except for about 20 minutes before that job interview you need to make it to on time, and then you suddenly realize you can't remember.  Not that I speak from experience.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #116 on: May 22, 2012, 08:14:19 PM

I can tie a tie and I'm quite happy.

Then again, I wear one a lot now that I don't have to more than I ever did when I was a banker.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: May 22, 2012, 09:31:02 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #118 on: May 23, 2012, 07:09:44 AM

Don't be shocked when Zuckerberg screws over a bunch of people to make a buck. Again.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #119 on: May 23, 2012, 08:54:18 AM

Paul B. Ferrell feels that Facebook may be the Black Swan that kills us all.  

Now we've gone the other way.   ACK!

Addendum-  maybe this guy's right.  It is alleged that Morgan Stanley was doing some pretty shady business in covering up the weaknesses of Facebook prior to the IPO. 

The report, and now the lawsuit, raises questions about whether Morgan Stanley, one of the underwriter companies that handled Facebook's IPO, or other banks knowingly offered certain investors privileged information that should have been made public. Other underwriters targeted by the lawsuit include Barclays Capital, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase and Merrill Lynch, a unit of Bank of America.

It is possible that Morgan Stanley may have signed off on a price that was too high or agreed to sell too many shares in the deal, CNNMoney.com reports. Then, Morgan Stanley analysts are alleged to have told certain people they had a negative assessment of the social network's offering.

"If true, the allegations are a matter of regulatory concern to FINRA and the [Securities and Exchange Commission]," Ketchum said in a statement via a spokeswoman.

The New York Times reported Morgan Stanley did more than just quietly share a negative outlook; they actually "held conference calls to update their banks' analysts on business."

"Analysts at Morgan Stanley and other firms soon started advising clients to dial back their expectations," the article says. "One prospective buyer was told that second-quarter revenue could be 5 percent lower than the bank’s earlier estimates."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:26:41 AM by ghost »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #120 on: May 23, 2012, 11:16:47 AM

Ah, there goes the Morgan I used to know and loathe.

Glad to see that they're still up to the same shit years later.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #121 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:06 AM

But wait.  It gets better........

Morgan Stanley and other underwriters have made a profit of about $100 million stabilizing Facebook Inc. stock since trading began on Friday, people familiar with the matter said.

As the lead underwriter responsible for Facebook’s IPO, Morgan Stanley would receive the largest chunk of those profits, the people said. The bank would receive the money on top of millions of dollars in IPO fees, the people added.

Let's see......support IPO, drive up prices as high as possible, short sell shares.....Boom!  There's a hundred million dollars.  This is amazing. 
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #122 on: May 23, 2012, 04:29:24 PM

Business as usual.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: May 23, 2012, 04:42:48 PM

Indeed. This is only unusual in how publically brazen and obvious it is.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: May 23, 2012, 05:11:21 PM

The asshats on Wall Street have been given free reign for so long that they have lost any need to hide their shenanigans anymore because they know they will never be held accountable.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 23, 2012, 06:54:00 PM

They scammed *rich people*.  That's still a crime that gets investigated (but not necessarily prosecuted, see Jon Corzine/MF Global).  The ones that are going to get seriously pissed are the ones that Goldman hooked on the last round of private financing that can't sell until 6 months after the IPO, while the earlier investors got to cash out immediately (much of why the IPO fizzled is because it was just too big, and it was so big because of the insiders cashing out).

This is the top 1/10th of one percent turning on each other because there's nobody else left with enough money to be worth scamming.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #126 on: May 23, 2012, 07:13:59 PM

They scammed *rich people*.  That's still a crime that gets investigated (but not necessarily prosecuted, see Jon Corzine/MF Global). 

How do you think I made my money? They only investigate it if you don't make those rich people a modicum of profit, or at least allow them to break somewhat close to even.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: May 24, 2012, 02:33:05 AM

I was gonna guess hooking.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #128 on: May 24, 2012, 04:29:45 AM

Hooking is more honest.  awesome, for real

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #129 on: May 24, 2012, 11:23:40 AM

How do you think I made my money? They only investigate it if you don't make those rich people a modicum of profit, or at least allow them to break somewhat close to even.
Funny, a guy I know said the same thing in a chat we were having yesterday.

I mean that a) the underwriters are going to get sued and pay up, b) the stock is dropping like a rock, and c) I would not be surprised to see a lot of short interest in FB.
on point c… Zuck annoyed wall street by wearing his hoodie and not sucking up to them. I would not at all be surprised to see tons 'o naked shorting going on.
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/is-this-the-real-reason-behind-facebooks-plunging-stock.html/

Wall Street likes to fuck people who annoy them.  Just ask Jeff Citron.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/soesbandits.asp#axzz1vcjj2Oq6
http://blog.themistrading.com/soes-bandits-revisited/
Today we are going to do a little electronic trading history lesson.  Who remembers Sheldon Maschler?  Harvey Houtkin?  They were the original SOES Bandits.  Sheldon headed up the infamous Datek Securities.  In 1989, with the help of two boy wonders, Jeff Citron and Josh Levine, they created Watcher, a software program that allowed day traders to take advantage of a weakness in the SOES system–relatively slow updating of price quotes.
Sound familiar to anyone? One thing I have learned.  If you fuck the big boys they will fuck you back sooner or later.  You only get to play by their rules.

(Question by another guy) Isn't that type of thing what got cartine beat down in the currency markets?

No, they were playing the currency markets differently. they were doing exchanges from A -> B -> C -> D -> E -> A where the marginal differences between them gave you a profit on going back to A
The problem was that some of the C and D currency markets were so small that their trades were causing them to deflate precipitously over a short period of time
Cartine basically exploited arbitrage loopholes in currency but didn't have the backing of the big boys. So what he did was viable and 'legal', but because he wasn't sharing, they came after him
Stealing is fine, as long as you are sharing with the right people. That's the lesson in both cases

That's the reason that they weren't charged with anything. What they were doing was totally legal.

My comment was "If Jeffy is considered fucked, bend me over. He still got hundreds of millions". And he did. And he bought a huge yacht with it. It's a pretty nice looking yacht.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:25:54 AM by bhodi »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #130 on: May 25, 2012, 10:53:39 PM

Bingo. I get to run around New York, the Hamptons and the Bay Area like I own the places I hang mostly because I and my group at MS fucked people enough to make us some cash, but not enough to cause them any real pain.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: February 23, 2015, 08:07:10 PM

We haven't had a good investing discussion lately, so maybe we should stir one up!

What's your strategy for 2015? Day trading? Dump it all in S&P 500 and don't look back? Buy gold bullion?

A family friend convinced me to put some money into super special fund via a 401k rollover, but this is what you get when you don't do what you know you should:

- Viin
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #132 on: February 23, 2015, 08:16:38 PM

Yeesh. Those F-Squared yahoos just got hammered by the SEC for 35M in penalties for fraud. Get your money out of there if it is still sitting in there.

I'll do what I have been doing for 20 years, bi-monthly dollar-cost average buys of broad based index funds in tax-deferred or tax-advantaged accounts and then don't touch it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: February 23, 2015, 08:28:04 PM

Yeesh. Those F-Squared yahoos just got hammered by the SEC for 35M in penalties for fraud. Get your money out of there if it is still sitting in there.

Ahh hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing that out. Now to start yelling.  awesome, for real

- Viin
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #134 on: February 23, 2015, 08:33:44 PM

http://www.sec.gov/litigation/admin/2014/ia-3988.pdf

http://fortune.com/2014/12/22/sec-f-squared-fraud/

They basically back-analyzed their data using time-shifted and cherry-picked dates to wildly inflate a non-existent performance history.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: February 23, 2015, 09:00:06 PM

Diversified 401k, 16% of my salary up to the cap. I try to keep company stock below 15% (company match is in stock). All passively managed. The bulk is a target date retirement fund, the rest is index funds and a large-cap and small-cap company funds.

I check it quarterly to make sure the percentages haven't gotten all out of whack (mostly to trim company stock back every few years) and ignore it otherwise.

I've been doing this since I was...21 or 22? Anyways, it tends to make more money a year than I actually put in, so it's hit self-sustaining pretty nicely.

Other than that -- I have a kid (who is 18 and thus his mistakes are aggravating AND expensive), and student loans and shit. Like I have money for investment. When I get that bullshit 6.8% student loans for my wife's master's degree paid off, then maybe.

Admittedly, as a hobby I play around with day-trading futures using machine learners. But only, you know, simulations Because I'm not exactly the risk-taking sort and day trading futures is a good way to go so freaking broke even a loan shark would take pity on you.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #136 on: February 23, 2015, 10:04:12 PM

What's your strategy for 2015? Day trading? Dump it all in S&P 500 and don't look back? Buy gold bullion?

I only have the stuff my Great Uncle bought. It's all utilities along the Northeast Coast, oil companies, and and a bunch of other similar stuff like distilling companies. Most of it pays dividends and does okay. I don't really pay any attention to the details and I don't particularly care to. If I did I'm pretty certain I'd fuck it all up and let some dickass trader talk me into something stupid so he could get a bunch of commissions. My Grandpa said that his strategy was to invest in stuff people absolutely had to have no matter what else was going on and that stuff you had to sell to make money off of was no good because you had to kill the goose to get the egg.

In all honesty, if you aren't already wealthy with and from stocks, forget it at this point. The system is so fucked and rigged now and designed to take your money and give it to rich people. So I guess I would suggest you sit on your pile of money in a corner until you get pissed enough to start killing our capitalist and executive classes.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #137 on: February 23, 2015, 11:41:45 PM

So I guess I would suggest you sit on your pile of money in a corner until you get pissed enough to start killing our capitalist and executive classes.

And here I've been thinking I was crazy.  Thanks for the validation.

why so serious?

I have a 401k that I contribute to regularly and periodically reshuffle it according to the latest and greatest strategy from our investment advisor at work, but on some level I don't believe that money is real since I know a big chunk of it could evaporate in an instant.  My main retirement plan is to pay off my house.  If you can live rent-free in the Bay Area you've pretty much got it made.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:46:03 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #138 on: February 24, 2015, 12:28:53 AM

Been piling the maximum Im legally allowed to into the TSP (federal governments 401K).  Have that split between an account that invests it with the assumption you are retiring in 2040, and a straight stock index.  Both have done pretty good over the last two years.

Well, I should say that's how I normally keep things.  Currently transferred all of it into bonds till the Greece situation works out, just in case they fail to make an agreement, Greece does something drastic, and the stock market decides this is the end of the world (as it seems to periodically do).  I'll move it back into stocks once we are past that, heh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: February 24, 2015, 05:31:15 AM

I would be lying if I said that some of us who exist in the same competitive space as F-Squared and Good Harbor aren't watching their troubles with some amusement.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Stocks, bonds and investing  
Jump to: