Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 10:24:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Little Peeves 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Little Peeves  (Read 158494 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: January 12, 2012, 10:35:11 AM

Did this game have a beta test?

You mean a free-play pre-release marketing campaign?  Yes.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #176 on: January 12, 2012, 11:32:00 AM

Did this game have a beta test?

You mean a free-play pre-release marketing campaign?  Yes.

And it was gorgeous.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #177 on: January 12, 2012, 11:34:11 AM

I'd really like the option to sell back the piece of armour i mistakenly bought with commendations while trying to preview it.

This too... especially when the god damn light sabre I bought it for OFFHAND only. What the shit is that about? How is it OFFHAND ONLY?   Ohhhhh, I see.

Your avatar answers that!
I actually rerolled my JC, Sky, because the way light works in the game his lower lip looked white (he was a black Miralukan). All I could think of in cutscenes was goddamned Dave Chappelle. Thanks, you bastard.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: January 12, 2012, 11:37:48 AM

I'll add a pet peeve. Changing the graphics options to Low and High and calling medium a bug, then some tech shuck+jive about how difficult it would be to enable high quality textures.

Just be honest and say you turned them off for performance reasons because most people would turn them on and bitch because their computers can't handle them, rather than switch back to medium. Then people with decent PCs (hi there) are fucked because of the average whiny forum-dwelling moron. I am so sick of whiny motherfuckers (yes, it's ironic as I whine about graphics and whiny motherfuckers).

I KNEW something was up in the 2nd beta weekend I was in, I'm almost certain the first one ran with high res textures.

Dammit.

Ok, back to the happy place. Because I still like the style of the graphics (sub 40 BH helmets notwithstanding).
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #179 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:08 PM

I found a nice orange Jugg helmet I pulled the mods out of and am using for my BH at 50. Looks better than any of the helmets I've found thus far.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: January 12, 2012, 01:02:13 PM

I like the look of the Foundry helmet, at least while I was in my gold-themed armor set. I've recently looted a couple nifty looking greens. Wish I could RE non-crafted stuff for recipes, even just for empty oranges for cosmetics.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #181 on: January 12, 2012, 01:12:27 PM

I like the look of the Foundry helmet, at least while I was in my gold-themed armor set. I've recently looted a couple nifty looking greens. Wish I could RE non-crafted stuff for recipes, even just for empty oranges for cosmetics.

I've managed to RE non-crafted stuff that would be made via synthweaving. I've not yet received a schematic from doing so, but my sample set of one is kinda limited.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #182 on: January 12, 2012, 01:15:25 PM

I think you can only get materials from those items, not recipes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: January 12, 2012, 01:17:30 PM

Yeah, the Foundry helm is one of the better ones that I've found. There's some really good looking Jugg orange helms that I'll probably go with next.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: January 12, 2012, 01:18:09 PM

I'll add a pet peeve. Changing the graphics options to Low and High and calling medium a bug, then some tech shuck+jive about how difficult it would be to enable high quality textures.

....and then keep using the high res textures in screenshots and videos circulated to the media claiming it as 'in-game' footage.  (EA gains +100 Dark Side Alignment)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: January 12, 2012, 04:17:29 PM

The mods/items that have the same stats but different names thing is utterly, 100% baffling at this stage in the design of these things. Or more importantly, depressingly, it's not. Because what it means to me is that people doing itemization were a: multiple and b: didn't talk to or share documentation of their designs with each other. Or c: they auto-generated a bunch of shit where parameter a was "need X items" and b: "need the following range of values to level qualifications" and then didn't edit or examine the results. All of which spell seriously trouble for the longer term.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #186 on: January 12, 2012, 05:37:06 PM

It was pretty much the same for Mass Effect. BioWare solved that in ME2 by not having that many weapons.

Did this issue raise its head in Dragon Age?

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #187 on: January 12, 2012, 05:45:31 PM

Did this issue raise its head in Dragon Age?
Not that i can think of; runes in DA only added single effect each, so that was easy enough for them to keep under control. Armour pieces were done by hand, but generally carried also manually picked seemingly random combinations of bonuses on them. So if there was repetition, it'd be accidental and the items affected would at least look different.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #188 on: January 12, 2012, 06:07:20 PM

Okay - guess it depends who was in charge of itemisation for SWOR then.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: January 13, 2012, 07:41:23 AM

It really doesn't matter how good the people doing itemization are (except for the people making the call to keep changing it) if the base system changes every week.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: January 13, 2012, 07:59:43 AM

Some more random peeves:
- If you die after a warzone ends (because you were grappled into fire/acid or you were falling off the voidstar bridge as the WZ was ending, f'rex), you are dead when exiting the WZ and have to take a durability hit. Not sure if this screws with xp rewards.
- If you are on quest where you need to enter a group phase and talk to someone (this is typical as a 'bridging quest' between later flashpoints, e.g. Taral V -> Maelstrom / Battle of Ilum -> False Emperor) and someone in the group rushes in ahead of the group to initiate the conversation (aka. typical pug behavior), the others are locked out of the group phase entirely even after the guy finishes the conversation - they will be locked into 'spectator mode'. Have to drop group / reset phases in order to be able to go in and talk to the guy in the group phase.
- I wonder whoever designs elevators in the SWverse watched this movie. Protip: don't try to jump while standing on elevators, esp in Cademimu.  awesome, for real

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: January 13, 2012, 08:17:10 AM

I am so damned tired of the 'Cannot see target' error despite sitting adjacent to whatever I'm trying to shoot - it happens to me most often in fights right after a cutscene, and drives me up the damned wall.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: January 13, 2012, 09:30:02 AM

- I wonder whoever designs elevators in the SWverse watched this movie. Protip: don't try to jump while standing on elevators, esp in Cademimu.  awesome, for real
Cademimu final elevator is especially a thing of beauty. A crawl down something like 5 unmarked stops, and then you have 3 seconds to get off or it sprints back to top again.

Usually half of the group doesn't make it. Good thing the first mob group can be soloed why so serious?
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: January 13, 2012, 09:32:23 AM

Cademimu final elevator is especially a thing of beauty. A crawl down something like 5 unmarked stops, and then you have 3 seconds to get off or it sprints back to top again.

Usually half of the group doesn't make it. Good thing the first mob group can be soloed why so serious?

I managed to die to both elevators on Cademimu.   awesome, for real

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #194 on: January 13, 2012, 09:34:36 AM

Those elevators in that instance are fucking hilarious. I run them solo to grab the orange heavy armor and regularly screw around with my companions on them. The first one you come to is full of lulz if you get your companion on it. Nadia and I start down and up go the robes followed by Nadia setting sail for parts unknown. Get to the bottom and she is still technically in your group, but no where to be found on the map.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #195 on: January 13, 2012, 10:22:55 AM

Nadia and I start down and up go the robes followed by Nadia setting sail for parts unknown.
My twi'lek companion Vette has the same thing happen but with whatever those long head tentacles are called, they point straight up as though she were falling, it's disturbing awesome, for real.

Had a perfectly fine elevator ride yesterday and as we gently glide to a stop at the bottom Quinn just up and dies.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #196 on: January 13, 2012, 12:48:42 PM

There was no repair droid on the floor the flashpoint we were doing was on. It was also really hard to tell wtf was going on with the boss that was killing us, so let me mention again that no combat log is stupid.

The final boss was a hoot though!  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: January 13, 2012, 01:25:55 PM

There was no repair droid on the floor the flashpoint we were doing was on. It was also really hard to tell wtf was going on with the boss that was killing us, so let me mention again that no combat log is stupid.

The final boss was a hoot though!  why so serious?

I don't see what's so complicated about that boss. You just have to not stand in the invisible fire.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I like that he has a note in the 1.1 patch about doing too much damage. Nothing about adding the missing graphics though!
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #198 on: January 13, 2012, 01:38:42 PM

It's a high-texture graphics, it's too awesome for players!
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: January 13, 2012, 01:46:24 PM

Anyone tackling end game content should've gotten enough training how to avoid invisible exhaustion zones, by that point Ohhhhh, I see.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: January 13, 2012, 02:03:18 PM

I do love how many of the mechanics just don't work right. I just did Cad with the invisible rocket engine and all. "Okay, move to this zone! Wait, why am I taking massive damage? I must be too close *moves further into empty zone, dies* OhISee.jpg"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: January 13, 2012, 02:07:42 PM

I am so damned tired of the 'Cannot see target' error despite sitting adjacent to whatever I'm trying to shoot - it happens to me most often in fights right after a cutscene, and drives me up the damned wall.

YES HOLY FUCK this can be bad sometimes.

There's a Heroic mission on Balmorra, for example, called Trash to Treasure (I think)--you're in a salvage yard, you fight droids, you eventually end up making a superdroid that you have to kill. Well, superdroid forms in this little depression or box, and you get the "cannot see target" error if you're outside the little box, whether you're targeting the mob or any player who is inside the little box with him. But there's no walls to the box--it's just a flat little ridged depression. You have to go get right on top of the mob in order to not get a targeting error, which is just great if you're a ranged DPS of some kind.

It happens a LOT in contexts where it absolutely shouldn't--boxes, low objects, that kind of stuff.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: January 13, 2012, 02:09:25 PM

Anyone tackling end game content should've gotten enough training how to avoid invisible exhaustion zones, by that point Ohhhhh, I see.

Exhaustion Zones on Tatooine and Hoth are sufficient justification to punch a designer in the mouth. Fucking terrible implementation.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #203 on: January 13, 2012, 02:12:35 PM

I'm not sure I understand why they're so horrifying. Don't go that way?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: January 13, 2012, 03:04:19 PM

IN THE MOUTH

Ohhhhh, I see.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: January 13, 2012, 04:49:54 PM

Frequently you'll run into them at (slight) angle rather than straight on. Since the game seems to take a few second to actually turn the damage on, not only doing the most logical thing like hitting the back button won't take you out immediately but instead it will be some long seconds of "GET OUT GET OUT" spammed all over your screen as you effectively trail along the zone's edge. If you try to turn around manually, or have this crazy idea of maybe going back at some angle, you can quite easily wind up staying in the zone longer than it's healthy, unable to figure out just where the fucking thing ends.

All easily avoided if they simply showed on your map. Because hell, why not?
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: January 13, 2012, 06:12:06 PM

1.  You run into them riding a speeder (at high speed) and they dismount you, so you have to hoof it back to the zone the slow way.  Annoying.
2.  They do show on the map, but you have to look at the color of the hexes, and it's a barely discernable difference between dark blue and slightly lighter blue.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: January 13, 2012, 07:34:01 PM

You have to micromanage having a map open in areas where in fact it's quite important that you continue to explore or be active. We're not talking, "They're so far beyond the action that you'll get bored trying to find where they start", we're talking "Right beyond the last mob you have to actually fight, a few feet on that side." No visual cues, no "you are nearing an exhaustion zone". You get the warning, if you don't turn around, you're dead. If you hit on a speeder, as noted, you'll have to go back on foot without hesitation.

It's just dumb. Have visual cues. Have a 'you're not dead but the dead zone is comiing' buffers. Do your best to make the edges of playable space inaccessible anyway.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: January 13, 2012, 07:56:44 PM

Fascinating.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: January 13, 2012, 09:50:09 PM

- Khem impaled on his own virbosword
- Khem too stupid to not use AE when I have something cc'd
- side acion bar icons going into drag mode when all you do is mouse between multimon screens
- no day/night cycles or dynamic weather, really? Every planet should have its own cycle, and not 24-hour based. I want to see the twin sunset on Tattoine, and speeder across the desert in the black of night.
- no official server forums
- GTN UI sucks period
- the sheer number of places to get stuck (and /stuck doesn't always work)
- shitty rail shooter they call space combat, ever heard of free-fly like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter?

#1:
- the uselessness of General chat; it set a new MMO record for how fast I remove global chanels from my chat panes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:55:12 PM by Redgiant »

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Little Peeves  
Jump to: