Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:08:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Patch Notes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch Notes  (Read 177670 times)
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #840 on: April 24, 2012, 08:44:47 AM

I just browsed a bit on the current info on threat mechanics, since I wasn't really sure myself. It looks like it's really screwed up... You need to be super-close, clipping way into the body of the mob for most bosses for the melee effect to trigger. Which is not really a threat bonus but a switch in AI behaviour to make it easier to grab aggro. Taunts on the other hand give more of a threat bonus when you trigger them from outside that reduced melee range.

So your perfect tank would stand within the enemy most of the time, then move away to taunt then move into the enemy again. swamp poop
edit: or just spam taunt at max range at all times. should finish reading before posting.

Found it here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=341126
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:50:56 AM by cironian »
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: April 24, 2012, 09:09:19 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure who was the bright spark that thought Taunt doing anything when you already have the most threat was a good idea, but I'd like to smack them with a newspaper.

E: Missing word was missing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:13:04 AM by caladein »

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: April 24, 2012, 10:23:38 AM

Seems they finally fixed the spaaaace combat sync issue.

...by dropping you into the spaaace battle 10-15 seconds before the mission officially starts.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #843 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:45 AM

I've heard that's not really a problem anymore but I haven't tested it recently myself.

EDIT: Oops, missed a page. Was replying to Lanty.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:20:27 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #844 on: April 24, 2012, 12:04:08 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure who was the bright spark that thought Taunt doing anything when you already have the most threat was a good idea, but I'd like to smack them with a newspaper.

E: Missing word was missing.

To be fair, tanking has been fucked up since release. They are just trying to put some duck tape on it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: April 24, 2012, 12:25:38 PM

I don't think the taunt thing is duct tape, it has been like that since release. It just took players a long time to figure it out since we all just assumed it would work the same as WoW.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #846 on: April 24, 2012, 12:43:52 PM

I don't think the taunt thing is duct tape, it has been like that since release. It just took players a long time to figure it out since we all just assumed it would work the same as WoW.

Do you believe it's a good mechanic that should exist?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #847 on: April 24, 2012, 01:12:50 PM

When you say it's duct tape, you make it sound like they added this in to fix a problem. Stupid mechanic or not, it's not something they randomly threw in to fix a problem.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #848 on: April 24, 2012, 02:04:06 PM

When you say it's duct tape, you make it sound like they added this in to fix a problem. Stupid mechanic or not, it's not something they randomly threw in to fix a problem.

That's a really dumb thing to argue over. It's a stupid mechanic. Call it whatever you like.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: April 24, 2012, 02:23:00 PM

Electrical tape.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: April 24, 2012, 02:25:43 PM

I don't know if it is stupid or not, really - games have done it both ways and I'm not sure if I have a preference. It isn't the way WoW does it, so yeah, if you think WoW's version of taunting is the best way to do it, then this probably looks stupid. I do find it kind of hard to get used to thinking about it this way, but that's tons of years of WoW warrior affecting me.

In any case my original point was this is not some change they made flailing around trying to fix the taunt system, this is their actual design. Better tooltips and a working combat log would have made us figure out how it works a lot faster, that's the part I would criticize myself.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: April 24, 2012, 02:26:22 PM

The only thing truly stupid about it, is them not telling us how taunting worked right off the bat. That would of saved a lot of Guardians a lot of Grief.

It's not that different then just increasing the threat mod by 5000% or whatever happens in WoW now.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #852 on: April 24, 2012, 04:37:40 PM

The only thing truly stupid about it, is them not telling us how taunting worked right off the bat. That would of saved a lot of Guardians a lot of Grief.

It's not that different then just increasing the threat mod by 5000% or whatever happens in WoW now.

Spamming a look at me button, to me, seems a lot different than increasing a threat mod.

I agree the tanking tooltips were horrific. If memory serves, only one or two actually referenced threat at all.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #853 on: April 24, 2012, 04:44:33 PM

would of

Would HAVE, you sonofabitch.

That said, I don't have a huge amount of trouble holding aggro on something I intend to hold aggro on, and this is without spamming taunt. The only time there's a problem is when Ingmar or his companion (not so much mine, as I usually have the healer pet out) decide to focus on something that isn't my main target, which is ... pretty much the same it's always been, really. HOWEVER, I haven't actually tanked a flashpoint since level 30-ish (maybe even earlier) because Slap has pretty much no healers.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: April 24, 2012, 04:47:33 PM

Transfer your Paladin over.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #855 on: April 24, 2012, 04:50:20 PM

I already have TWO level 50 healers on the Republic side (and one on the Imperial side, now!). My point is if Slap does a flashpoint, I have to be the one healing it.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #856 on: April 24, 2012, 06:01:03 PM

I'll just die and be done with it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: April 24, 2012, 06:36:47 PM

I already have TWO level 50 healers on the Republic side (and one on the Imperial side, now!). My point is if Slap does a flashpoint, I have to be the one healing it.

My point is you enjoyed Paladin healing waaaaaaaay too much.   why so serious?

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #858 on: April 24, 2012, 06:39:58 PM

The trooper is close enough.  why so serious?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: April 24, 2012, 07:02:29 PM

Spamming a look at me button, to me, seems a lot different than increasing a threat mod.

I agree the tanking tooltips were horrific. If memory serves, only one or two actually referenced threat at all.

Not when they increase the threat mod so much that EVERY button a tank pushes is a "look at me" button.  why so serious?

It's once every 15 seconds off the GCD for single target, if you hit it as much as possible. It's a non-issue.

FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: April 24, 2012, 09:04:00 PM

It's a bit weird to have the look at me button be the same as the get back on me button.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #861 on: April 24, 2012, 09:13:25 PM

It's stupid. The idea of a taunt is to get something to notice you when it's not currently focused on you. Your other abilities are supposed to keep it on you.

I will give Blizzard credit for reworking shield block and heroic strike because it was getting spammed on every available cooldown by tanks. That's not what I would consider to be the purpose of tanking. They removed things which were no longer optional for tanks, and made them more situational. The taunt should be that, a situational ability, not a spamhole.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #862 on: April 24, 2012, 10:23:54 PM

It isn't, though, not really. It CAN be, but I'm pretty sure most tanks aren't doing that, and doing fine.

I like that if you use it on something already on you, it does something instead of nothing more than making me go "shit, whoops" and it being on cooldown.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #863 on: April 25, 2012, 07:01:10 AM

That's not what I would consider to be the purpose of tanking.
You should turn your ideas into gold!

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=22056.0
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: April 25, 2012, 12:26:52 PM

I don't really care one way or another about the concept of "Taunt", what I do care about is that is by far and away the best threat button one can push as a tank.  And almost as importantly, that the game doesn't do one thing to explain that, either through tooltips or exposing threat data through the UI.

As a napkin math exercise, here's a graph!  Y is threat, X is time in seconds.

The red line is sort of the worst case scenario from switching a non-taunting to a taunting rotation: only 500 TPS, no increase in APM, and the taunts are replacing "average" threat generating abilities.  Realistically, taunts aren't on the GCD, it's only four or five extra APM, and I'm pretty sure raid tank TPS goes a good deal higher, but I'm not in a position to look at others' logs right now.

E: Added link to sheet.
E2: Grammar...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:34:50 PM by caladein »

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #865 on: April 28, 2012, 10:21:13 PM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: April 28, 2012, 11:05:39 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #867 on: April 29, 2012, 09:34:53 PM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #868 on: May 01, 2012, 02:37:40 PM

They fixed the companion implant stat bug last night!  Heart

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.2.2/512012

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #869 on: May 01, 2012, 03:15:27 PM

Target Markers can now be bound to keys in the preferences menu.

That should please some of the people of Slap.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: May 02, 2012, 02:33:27 AM

Target Markers can now be bound to keys in the preferences menu.

That should please some of the people of Slap.

I missed that in the notes. Brilliant! Will make targeting healers in warzones so much easier!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: May 08, 2012, 10:47:33 AM

FWIW, it looks like there's a notable mission item bug that they're patching tomorrow AM after last night's patch.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: May 08, 2012, 01:57:20 PM

Disappearing trinkets, nice.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: May 08, 2012, 04:37:39 PM

Please note, logging in to the game counts as entering a new area. awesome, for real

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Patch Notes  
Jump to: