Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Noob questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noob questions  (Read 206763 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: February 04, 2013, 12:44:09 AM

I don't have a shadow, but I did play a tank-spec vanguard in pvp pretty extensively. Basically you need to identify whoever is being focused (in an unorganized pug match this'll probably be a healer), put guard on them, stay near them so they benefit from guard, and use taunts on enemy damage-dealers trying to burst them down (single-target taunts on ranged, AOE taunt on melee train). Then beat on stuff that gets close, and annoy people with pulls / stuns / interrupts while making sure you stay in guard range most of the time.

My damage as a tank-spec vanguard was pathetic* and - like said before - my mitigation was nonexistent against most damage; I could probably do better using all damage gear and a hybrid damage spec, but eh, I wasn't going to ditch my pve tanking capabilities for that (dual spec, wru?). You can do OK as a harasser / interrupter -- I could keep a sorc healer locked down almost completely by chaining my interrupts / pulls / stuns. This also generates more pvp aggro than taunts, btw awesome, for real Problem is, a dps spec can do the same while also putting enough damage into the healer / caster to kill them in a relatively short time.

* I did end up near the top of 'total damage' on the scoreboard quite a few times, but that's just due to high survivability and long uptime -- ultimately the damage I did was predictable and easily healed through, even if the healer was under pressure.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:48:18 AM by Zetor »

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: February 04, 2013, 12:50:48 AM

Whenever I do PvP on my Juggernaut tank, I pretty much stay defensive. Find a healer, Guard them, and stay near them while guarding a held point Taunt folks who peel off you to try and kill your healbot, interrupt captures, and try to stay alive. In Huttball, a tank is pretty much the best ball carrier.

Doing damage and actually killing people is pretty low on my priority list (though if it's a DPS that isn't a Marauder/Sentinel, even my tank will eat them for lunch), though I hear some hybrid builds with some DPS-ish gear can do some pretty killer damage while still being tanky.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: February 04, 2013, 01:25:08 AM

Taunt ?  In PvP ?

Really ?

How's that work ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: February 04, 2013, 01:25:54 AM

Similar to WAR, taunted target(s) get -30% damage reduction on everyone except you. It's not a bad implementation, actually...

e: as for tanks doing damage, it's all about smash (sweep for JKs) doing 8k crits as an instant aoe move. Or so I hear.  awesome, for real

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: February 04, 2013, 01:30:10 AM

Hmm, that's even on the tooltip.  I just didn't think they'd put it in PvP.

I like the idea.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: February 04, 2013, 01:52:24 AM

Smash/Sweep crits on a tank-specced (and tank-geared) Jugg/Guardian does like 2k, tops. Maybe 3k if you have DPS gear. Non-crits will be for something along the lines of 800-1200. You need to be pretty deep (if not full) Rage-spec and nearly best in slot geared to pull off the insano 6-7k Smash/Sweep crits.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:57:05 AM by koro »
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: February 04, 2013, 01:59:50 AM

Yeah, which is why I think it's better to go in as a full dps spec / build (maybe going into tank stance to guard the ball carrier or a healer -- is a dps'r in tank stance still capable of those 7k smashes?), but otherwise lolsmashing to victory.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #672 on: February 04, 2013, 02:34:20 AM

Yeah, a Rage Jugg in tank stance can put out the 6k Smashes. The only thing Shii-Cho is required for is the talent that lowers the cooldown on Smash by 1 second when you do pretty much anything damaging.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: February 04, 2013, 03:24:08 AM

Noob PvP related question:

What is a "hard target switch" and why should I care?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: February 04, 2013, 03:54:18 AM

A hard switch is basically an "all-in" switch to a target (switch meaning that the damage-dealers stop attacking whoever they are hitting and focus their attacks on the switch target) after making sure that it is sufficiently vulnerable; in a hard-switch, the attackers typically pop their cooldowns and trinkets to hit even harder. In this context, "sufficiently vulnerable" means the target is out of position, burned their CC breaker or other major defensive cooldowns, has some relevant debuffs on him, etc. I heard the term first in WOW arena circa 2006, but I'm sure it's been around longer than that. During a hard switch it's usually important to not let the target's teammates bail him out, so it's usually called only when they're out of LOS / CC'd / otherwise unable to help.

tldr: hard switch basically means "one of our enemies screwed up, guys! Pop everything and roll your faces across the keyboard EXTRA hard". Most of the time, the hard switch target will be the enemy healer.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:02:58 AM by Zetor »

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: February 04, 2013, 11:41:17 AM

I like the idea.

It's only effective in PvP actually. Not that it would matter in PvE since its a taunt.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: February 04, 2013, 12:09:00 PM

I like the idea.

It's only effective in PvP actually. Not that it would matter in PvE since its a taunt.

It would matter a lot on AoEs, which is exactly why it only works in PvP.

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: February 04, 2013, 01:01:39 PM

True enough.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: February 05, 2013, 05:57:45 AM

Back on the equipment and sub 50 pvp question: I've noticed since I've hit 41 that my stats are decreasing. Someone said it has to do with the level of my equipment. At first I thought that meant item mods but is it also the level of the armor itself? Most of my armor is level 20ish but I have level 40 item mods. Do I need to buy new armor?
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: February 05, 2013, 07:05:54 AM

Back on the equipment and sub 50 pvp question: I've noticed since I've hit 41 that my stats are decreasing. Someone said it has to do with the level of my equipment. At first I thought that meant item mods but is it also the level of the armor itself? Most of my armor is level 20ish but I have level 40 item mods. Do I need to buy new armor?

Not sure I follow: are you asking if Orange gear has an effect on PvP scaling? If so, then to the best of my knowledge, no it doesn't - provided, as you say, you keep your mods and armoring up to date. (If your Orange gear still says it's got a level requirement of 20 then make sure your Armoring mod is up to date as that should affect the level requirement of the item).

Or are you saying that a lot of your armor is level 20 but the mods in some pieces are level 40? In which case, you should try to upgrade the level 20 armor to match your level.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: February 05, 2013, 07:06:43 AM

In sub50 PvP your effective stats with given armour will fall every time you level, then rise again when update your mods.

Changing the armour model you plug mods into won't make any difference, assuming it is all moddable equipment.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: February 05, 2013, 07:17:16 AM

My companions are simply not levelling as fast as I am.

(Yes, I get that they're the same level as me, but the gear progression is a massive pain in the arse.)

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: February 05, 2013, 07:34:30 AM

I'm sure the Cartel will be happy to sell you gear to outfit them to a more suitable level.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: February 05, 2013, 08:05:21 AM

Actually, I doubt it.  Cartel doesn't really sell shit that doesn't require ME to upgrade it.

It's just the personalised drops come once a blue moon and are usually in fits and starts.

"Here are Mako's SUPER SNUG PANTS.  They replace the NOT SO SNUG PANTS you've been using for 20 levels.  They're also shit."

And I can't be fucked remembering to outfit them.  I'd LOVE IT if they had gear like heirloom stuff that levelled up with them, even if it wasn't optimal.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: February 05, 2013, 08:11:44 AM

I find I can keep one or two companions in decent gear, the rest get to rot on the ship.

If you want to use the cartel to update companion gear, buy whatever, sell it for credits, then buy gear.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: February 05, 2013, 08:20:04 AM

It's not the end of the world, it's just that I've found that Mako is really, really, really not keeping up with the healing anymore.  She has a shitton more healing abilities, but for some reason they now all suck.

I think I'll do a splurge of cash to get her to a good item level and then see if it helps.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: February 05, 2013, 09:06:40 AM

We can probably come to some arrangement - I've got loads of spare gear plus all pertinent crew skills levelled.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: February 05, 2013, 09:14:37 AM

Then stick all that shit in the GB.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: February 05, 2013, 09:29:27 AM

If you're having Mako/Elara healing problems, be sure to disable the autocast on the carbonizer ray; she's content channeling it for 8sec at a time while you die. Especially against enemies that are immune to it  why so serious? (has this been fixed yet?)

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: February 05, 2013, 09:32:26 AM

Then stick all that shit in the GB.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I so far haven' even been arsed to stick it in the rep GB, let alone mail it over to Imp side. But as you ask so nicely...!

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:41 AM

Not sure I follow: are you asking if Orange gear has an effect on PvP scaling? If so, then to the best of my knowledge, no it doesn't - provided, as you say, you keep your mods and armoring up to date. (If your Orange gear still says it's got a level requirement of 20 then make sure your Armoring mod is up to date as that should affect the level requirement of the item).

Or are you saying that a lot of your armor is level 20 but the mods in some pieces are level 40? In which case, you should try to upgrade the level 20 armor to match your level.

Yeah, I meant that the original level of my orange gear (sans item mods) was in the 20ish range. I've been upgrading my armor (blues) and it's going down. It went up at 39 but down at 41. I was at 5k armor and now 4.9ish.

Tried to pvp with my scoundrel this morning. I managed to suck horribly lol. I kind of played him like a dps when he's pretty much pure heals soo fail right there.

In hindsight I wish I hadn't bought so many WZ adrenals and heals. I need to buy more level 42 weapons so I can strip out the enchantments lulz.

Seriously considering buying more slots so I can do sub50 with a sage/sorc; maybe both.  why so serious?

eta: So I caved and bought one of those fancy mmo gaming mice. It's perfect for a guy like me that can't handle ctrl+ anything. My only problem now is with targetting. Pvp is just too fast for me, so I end up hitting capslock a lot and/or never getting the right target. I'm thinking about moving target to another button like 'a' or something. It would be hard to screw that up, but I'm sure I'll find a way.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:22:52 AM by Raguel »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: February 05, 2013, 10:29:46 AM

If you're having Mako/Elara healing problems, be sure to disable the autocast on the carbonizer ray; she's content channeling it for 8sec at a time while you die. Especially against enemies that are immune to it  why so serious? (has this been fixed yet?)

I don't think so, not that I ever have that ability on to know.  why so serious?

Troopers have the easiest time in outfitting their companions. All Trooper companions use the same +aim gear Troopers wear, so you can just constantly dump off your old shit to them.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: February 05, 2013, 11:29:29 AM

And if you want to be really frugal, you can just keep a single companion (minus Liberty Prime) kitted out and just swap the gear around if you need to switch to someone else.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:58 AM

If you're having Mako/Elara healing problems,

I feel bad for you son.

Ahem.

Yeah, I've turned that shit off and also all her damaging abilities, but she still just lacks.  It's glaringly obvious these days, so clearly she's just wearing shit or I need presence or something.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #694 on: February 05, 2013, 11:38:31 AM

Note you can buy cheap 30 minute presence buffs from cantina vendors, that stack with stims (there are also presence stims, those are a bit more expensive IIRC.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: February 05, 2013, 11:47:17 AM

If you're having Mako/Elara healing problems,

I feel bad for you son.

Ahem.

Yeah, I've turned that shit off and also all her damaging abilities, but she still just lacks.  It's glaringly obvious these days, so clearly she's just wearing shit or I need presence or something.

Turn her two damage attacks back on, NPC healers don't have enough healing GCD's to actually fill all the space, so your just denying yourself a little bonus damage.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: February 05, 2013, 12:07:31 PM

Yeah, I figured that one out too.  I just wanted to check.  It's clearly the gear.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: February 05, 2013, 12:12:19 PM

Are you on Ebon Hawk? I can make a lot of blue stuff (armor. mods, enchantment and medpacks, level 20 augs if you're into that sort of thing)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: February 05, 2013, 01:31:06 PM

Yeah, I meant that the original level of my orange gear (sans item mods) was in the 20ish range. I've been upgrading my armor (blues) and it's going down. It went up at 39 but down at 41. I was at 5k armor and now 4.9ish.

That's to be expected. Here's the maths (based on Endurance)

Given that base End at 49 is 221 and a bolster multiplier is applied to your stats to get to that figure then:
at 39 base End is 185 - bolster mutiplier = 1.19
at 41 base End is 192 - bolster multiplier = 1.15

So, if you have an End bonus from armor of, say, 500 then you'll have bolstered values of:

lvl 39: (185+500)*1.19 = 815
lvl 41: (192+500)*1.15 = 795

So bearing in mind that mods only go up every two levels, you are going to get a slight stat drop every other level. But...  how that pans out in terms of actual performance is probably negligible if you're within a couple of levels.

I'm sure, if it came down to it, I could do graphs.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:33:17 PM by DraconianOne »

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: February 05, 2013, 04:52:06 PM

Yeah, I quit using Mako because I felt her heals fell off.  So I used Gault or Blizz and she was my main crafter anyway.  I agree with the above poster, just keep the gear current on one or two companions unless you like staring at the AH all the time.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Noob questions  
Jump to: