Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:45:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Noob questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noob questions  (Read 206799 times)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: December 21, 2011, 02:50:49 AM

It's the special XP stuff that I was interested in. Is that implemented? Does it retrospectively get added for any levels alts are at? (Yeah, I'd search the official forums for this info but, hey, no search function!)

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #106 on: December 21, 2011, 03:26:49 AM

It's the special XP stuff that I was interested in. Is that implemented? Does it retrospectively get added for any levels alts are at? (Yeah, I'd search the official forums for this info but, hey, no search function!)

It starts counting from the moment one of your chars finishes Act 1. Any quests your chars do from that point forwards increase your legacy XP.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #107 on: December 21, 2011, 04:22:31 AM

So someone in general said there's a respec guy and Rattran just mentioned he "switched over" to a full healing merc. 

Did I miss a spec-swap option being added-in?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: December 21, 2011, 04:31:13 AM

I largely ignored all the frothing on the subject, but I thought skill swapping was always in...it was just that AC swapping was verboeten.  No? 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #109 on: December 21, 2011, 04:41:15 AM

AC Swapping was verboten and Spec-Swapping was "Soon (TM)"   I didn't know if it had made it in for launch or not.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: December 21, 2011, 04:42:40 AM

Dunno the past, but I can also confirm that I saw such an NPC as well.  Didn't click far enough to see what it cost (if anything). 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: December 21, 2011, 04:48:12 AM

I know the first time is free. I assume it scales after that both with repeated use and level. If anyone is looking for the NPC there's one in Kaas City beside the commendation vendor and in the combat skills area on the fleet beside the guild registrar.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: December 21, 2011, 05:10:25 AM

Would be curious if anyone knows how much it increases as you scale up.  Wouldn't mind trying a damage spec for my Jugger.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: December 21, 2011, 06:18:37 AM

Would be curious if anyone knows how much it increases as you scale up.  Wouldn't mind trying a damage spec for my Jugger.

There were some reports that it scales with frequency of use not number of uses and that if you don't use it for a while the fee drops.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #114 on: December 21, 2011, 06:20:41 AM

Is there anything you can do with old commendations?  I recall that in beta there was a way to trade some in for one of the next tier.  Specifically I got the Tython commendation robe but have a bunch of commendations left that I would like to do something with.

You can't trade them in anymore.  People would never really spend them and just sit on them all the way to cap, or at least that was my plan.  lol

As I discovered last night, the Fleet has Commendation Vendors for all of the planets (far left on Imperial). I actually went back to DK, because I was a few commendations short for a nice orange gun for Vette. Picked up five in a PUG Heroic, bought the nice gun, promptly stole the orange crystal for my sabre.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #115 on: December 21, 2011, 06:51:27 AM

You can reset the points you have spent in your advanced class but not the class itself, it is done at the "Skill Mentor", so if you have a healing tree you can switch to that if you need to heal.  The cost does go up, there was a thread yesterday about someone who said his next respec would cost over 40k credits...

Edit: Oh, and I'm not really a prude or anything but I would not let a five year old play this game, especially not as sith.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 07:02:42 AM by Miasma »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: December 21, 2011, 06:59:13 AM

Once you hit 50, 40k credits isn't really that huge of a deal.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #117 on: December 21, 2011, 07:07:44 AM

Also, 3-4 people from my wife's work (branch manager, librarians) are all playing. Would anyone have a beef with me pointing them to Shien and the BC guild?
Only if they rp dark side librarians collecting overdue fees (jk I love librarians....literally!). If they can put up with you, they can probably put up with us :) For anyone bringing people into the guild, have them mention your f13 name in the Member Notes, as you will be responsible for them  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
I think the only person to get kicked out of Bat Country guild has been NiX.  awesome, for real
Duse was kicked out of the EQ2 guild after a day, iirc. As far as disruptions go, it's been pretty pleasant. I hope people keep any negativity here on the boards.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: December 21, 2011, 07:13:18 AM

Is there anything you can do with old commendations?  I recall that in beta there was a way to trade some in for one of the next tier.  Specifically I got the Tython commendation robe but have a bunch of commendations left that I would like to do something with.

You can't trade them in anymore.  People would never really spend them and just sit on them all the way to cap, or at least that was my plan.  lol

As I discovered last night, the Fleet has Commendation Vendors for all of the planets (far left on Imperial). I actually went back to DK, because I was a few commendations short for a nice orange gun for Vette. Picked up five in a PUG Heroic, bought the nice gun, promptly stole the orange crystal for my sabre.

I use those vendors to plan out my upgrades for the next 2 planets or so. "Okay, so he sells weapons + pants, but next dude sells pants+boots, so we're buying everyone pants this time, and boots next planet!"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: December 21, 2011, 07:39:10 AM

Only if they rp dark side librarians collecting overdue fees (jk I love librarians....literally!). If they can put up with you, they can probably put up with us :) For anyone bringing people into the guild, have them mention your f13 name in the Member Notes, as you will be responsible for them  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Don't you mean... Literarilly?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: December 21, 2011, 08:35:16 AM

Is there any special bonus for completing the Codex entries for a planet like bonus XP or title or something?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #121 on: December 21, 2011, 08:48:58 AM

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: December 21, 2011, 09:50:30 AM

Edit: Oh, and I'm not really a prude or anything but I would not let a five year old play this game, especially not as sith.

Ditto. The game is rated T (teen) though I would think as long as you are actively parenting/supervising it's your call. And the Sith quests do have "light" choices, even if they are choosing whether or not to sleep with someone for less-than-honorable reasons...

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #123 on: December 21, 2011, 10:25:31 AM

A quest I did last night on my sith warrior had me poisoning the water supply of slaves to kill them, this was the light side option.  The dark side option was to poison them in another way that made them die in pain over weeks.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: December 21, 2011, 10:28:01 AM

A quest I did last night on my sith warrior had me poisoning the water supply of slaves to kill them, this was the light side option.  The dark side option was to poison them in another way that made them die in pain over weeks.

Well yeah.  Poison to kill was a mercy thing, thus Light side

/martha "It's a good thing."  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #125 on: December 21, 2011, 02:14:04 PM

A quest I did last night on my sith warrior had me poisoning the water supply of slaves to kill them, this was the light side option.  The dark side option was to poison them in another way that made them die in pain over weeks.

That won't be the last time you're thinking "oh my God, this is the light side option?" as an Empire person.  awesome, for real

God Save the Horn Players
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #126 on: December 21, 2011, 08:42:15 PM

Well, another noob question:

If I group with a friend while doing my classquest, is there a way to let him watch the cutscenes/conversations?
When I helped a fellow Sith on Korriban exactly that happened: I got pulled into something called "spectatormode" and was able to view (but not effect) his conversation with Khem Val.
Trying the same in reverse does not work. I speak with the class-questgiver yet my smuggler partner stays in the "gameworld" unaware of what's going on.

The only differences I am aware of is that the former was within a story-line instance and the latter conversation was triggered in the open gameworld.

Apologies for the clunky wording. It's 6 am and having sleeping problems  sad
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:44:24 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #127 on: December 21, 2011, 09:11:05 PM

I think you can only spectate mode inside story instances, yes.

God Save the Horn Players
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #128 on: December 22, 2011, 12:18:31 AM

If I group with a friend while doing my classquest, is there a way to let him watch the cutscenes/conversations?
When I helped a fellow Sith on Korriban exactly that happened: I got pulled into something called "spectatormode" and was able to view (but not effect) his conversation with Khem Val.
Trying the same in reverse does not work. I speak with the class-questgiver yet my smuggler partner stays in the "gameworld" unaware of what's going on.

The only differences I am aware of is that the former was within a story-line instance and the latter conversation was triggered in the open gameworld.

You need to enable "Allow access to same-class story areas" (which doesn't make sense but that's BW UI for you) in your preferences. Don't remember which panel it's in and servers are down right now so I can't check.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: December 22, 2011, 07:00:00 AM

You need to enable "Allow access to same-class story areas" (which doesn't make sense but that's BW UI for you) in your preferences. Don't remember which panel it's in and servers are down right now so I can't check.

Pretty sure it's in the social tab. I don't find the preferences menu very intuitive. I'm always hunting for stuff.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #130 on: December 22, 2011, 08:47:56 AM

Thank you very much   smiley

Having to wait until tomorrow to test it, but I'll report back about the results.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: December 22, 2011, 08:55:14 AM

I'm kind of bummed out by situational moves like SW's Retaliation.  With no macroing and no flytext notification that the ability is available, I'm stuck staring at the action bar.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: December 22, 2011, 08:56:32 AM

I'm kind of bummed out by situational moves like SW's Retaliation.  With no macroing and no flytext notification that the ability is available, I'm stuck staring at the action bar.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Nope, that's how it is.  Again, this game took inspiration from WoW Vanilla and BC with pretty much every mechanic and feature, but left out macros and add-ons.  So, yeah, it sucks :(

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: December 22, 2011, 08:58:23 AM

If that's the same as the Jedi's Riposte, then the notification is the quick flash of "Parry" or "Deflected" on the screen.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  

But yeah, I see that like one out of ten times.  
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: December 22, 2011, 09:28:32 AM

I put retatliate at the right edge of my top bar for best visibility, and I can usually see it out of the corner of my eye at this stage.  Although I admit, in general, I spend a good amount of time looking at my hotbar regarding cooldowns.  They are so vital to how your attack chain will work and some are kinda long so it's not super intuitive.  But I've gotten the hang of retaliate at least.  Love retaliate.  Alongside deadly saber (annihilation spec) you have two big dps boosts off the gcd.  Tears through shit like whoa.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: December 22, 2011, 12:16:22 PM

I buckled last night, and made it to level 8 as a BH.  I'm so weak.   Cry
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: December 22, 2011, 12:53:27 PM

So what's the verdict thus far?

Is it just a shinier WoW or is there a compelling reason I should rush to sub up?

Not meaning to start a war, just genuinely interested and hoping to get a tl;dr blurb or two.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #137 on: December 22, 2011, 01:00:15 PM

It's a shinier version of WoW from four years ago, if that makes sense.  If you liked kotor and didn't hate WoW you will probably like this.  I think it's pretty fun and am enjoying the storylines and seeing all the planets.

I imagine they will start free trials once the initial chaos dies down in a month or two.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: December 22, 2011, 01:08:36 PM

It is precisely WoW mixed with Mass Effect dialogue options and a modern bioware story done pretty well (although not quite as good as their single player games).  Game plays well, it's polished, but it takes NO chances other than the 'story' bit.  Everything gameplay/gameworld wise is pulled directly from WoW.  Except for companions.  Companions rule.

Negative side:  Crappier version of KOTOR with kill 10 rat quests cutting up the story.  The gameplay/story split lacks cohesion and doesn't really make sense.
Postitive side:  A high-quality WoW clone with 8 modern bioware quality stories to play through.

I'm in the middle, but the game plays well enough that I'm enjoying it decently.  I'm very critical of WoW-clones, but this one is working for me right now.  The gameplay is key:  It's fun and responsive.  I find the story/gameplay split sometimes lacking, especially with side quests which I just spacebar through since the dialogue is basically WoW-esque with voice acting.  But the main storylines are well done and compare to their single player stuff pretty well.  Not quite as good, but close.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: December 22, 2011, 01:12:43 PM

The crafting system is superior to WOW by a long shot.  I hate crafting.  I love crafting in SWTOR.
This is incredibly subjective, but I think the leveling is 100x better than WOW just based on story, voice over, and moral anguish on how I'm going to kill people (slow or fast). 
Combat is the same mechanically, but I really enjoy the animations and sound effects.
Groups are 4 people.  Raids are 8 and 16.
You always have a companion, you can have up to 6.  They are awesome.

It's a DIKU game at the heart, but it's star wars and fun.

The only bad thing about this game is that the UI is fucking down right awful.  I'm surprised the chat system works.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Noob questions  
Jump to: