Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:26:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch... 0 Members and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  (Read 202747 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1015 on: January 09, 2012, 03:28:21 AM

No, seriously ?

That's fucking stupid.

No, this is stupider.

If they ever make authenticators mandatory, I will quit the game. If you want an authenticator, then go buy one yourself. I won't stop you from getting one just as much as you shouldn't stop me from refusing one. One of the main reasons why I preordered the Digital Deluxe Edition was for environmental reasons. I didn't want any of the material stuff.

swamp poop

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1016 on: January 09, 2012, 04:29:25 AM

This 0.10 pounds of plastic and paper is killing our earth mother, I have more respect than that!

*plays TOR for 10 hours a day on a computer that consumes enough power for a household of 2*

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1017 on: January 09, 2012, 08:26:57 AM

Put me down as also not understanding why they split off Techblades/Techstaves as their own weapon classes apart from Vibroswords/Electrostaves and/or didn't bother itemizing them fully.
I think they wanted Qyzen to have trooper looks rather than jedi knight looks, and the trooper armour is aim oriented. So his weapon had to match that.

Of course, why they just didn't use the techstaves then which are also based on aim is anyone's guess.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1018 on: January 09, 2012, 08:31:22 AM

The worst "whoops, overlooked that" to me is a lot of companions actually come with moddable weapons and whatnot, but they're still colored green. You have to mouse over them to see that oh hey, you can slot shit into these!

WHAT?Huh  ACK!

I think I may have already vendored Corso's original weapon after "upgrading" it with something new. Facepalm

I think all the first companions come with non-moddy weapons but I honestly am not completely sure because I only noticed the coloring error recently, and I still forget sometimes, because I am dumb.

I looked closer and found every single weapon my companions came with is in fact moddable. I can't check Khem because I long since threw his sword away.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Balmorra and Alderaan

They are the earliest planets that don't use obvious design tricks to reduce draw distance, how was Tatooine and Hoth?

I'm pretty sure the weapon vendor at the Dromund Kass spaceport has a green vibrosword that actually has a full set of mod slots.  I THINK that's where I picked it up.  It's been awhile though. 
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1019 on: January 09, 2012, 10:12:16 AM

I just noticed that if you level up Armstech there's a bunch of named orange schematics you get at 400 that level 48 characters can use--the ONLY item that does NOT have one is the Techblade.  swamp poop
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1020 on: January 09, 2012, 12:46:01 PM

2.  Whenever the game tries to exit normally, when I alt-tab, or when I load new zones, it spends 30 seconds creating page faults.  I guess 2 GB RAM is not enough (but I run WinXP so can't do more, for now).  Ctrl-Alt-Delete and killing the two swtor.exe processes magically restores my desktop and functionality immediately, rather than after 30 seconds of page faults.
XP can use up to 4 GB.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1021 on: January 09, 2012, 07:28:24 PM

XP (32 bit) can probably only use 3 GB by default even if you have 4 GB in it. You need to keep some space for OS functions.

Saw someone on the forums complaining that the game is "dead" off-peak and laughed. Sort of inevitable if you only sell in two regions with diametrically opposed time-zones. Though local EB has apparently been importing US copies to satisfy pre-orders.

I figure by the time it's out here I probably will have read so many spoilers and negative posts I'll feel like I'm done with the game before it even releases.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1022 on: January 10, 2012, 03:43:09 AM

I figure by the time it's out here I probably will have read so many spoilers and negative posts I'll feel like I'm done with the game before it even releases.

On the other hand, maybe it'll actually be ready for release by then.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: January 10, 2012, 05:23:12 AM

I think we've been pretty good here about not spoilering the storylines, which are what matters in this game.  Like someone said, it's ok if you play it as 4-8 KOTOR's (solo) in succession.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1024 on: January 10, 2012, 05:31:31 AM

Up to a point, having to repeat the world quests starts to drag once you are into the mid twenties and above.

EA urgently need some alternate quest lines, make them legacy unlockables if neccessary.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1025 on: January 10, 2012, 07:55:22 AM

Don't let the plethora of negative twats ruin your fun imo.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1026 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:54 AM

If you enjoy story-driven, single-player games like KOTOR you'll enjoy it.  If you're looking for a Star Wars MMO, don't bother.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1027 on: January 10, 2012, 08:30:12 AM

I think it's a fine Star Wars MMO for the first month of launch. Crafting is fun, leveling is fun, and flashpoints are fun when you choose to do them. I haven't encountered any CTD or falling through the world, or getting stuck on a rock bugs yet.

For me, focusing on the leveling experience for the first 3 months of their game was the right way to go. They can weed out the min-maxers and content devourers right at the beginning.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1028 on: January 10, 2012, 08:54:16 AM

I've had quite a few 'stuck on rocks' errors, but those are all attributable to my need to go 'offroading' and drop-down or otherwise take shortcuts to get from A to B.  Hoth was the worst in this regard, trapping me between rocks or glacial pockets with no path to get out.

It makes you realize just how well-designed some of Blizz's areas were that doing the same type of exploration there didn't ever cause you to be trapped in the environment with no hope of escape except /stuck or burning your QT cooldown. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1029 on: January 10, 2012, 08:54:26 AM

I think it's a fine Star Wars MMO for the first month of launch. Crafting is fun, leveling is fun, and flashpoints are fun when you choose to do them. I haven't encountered any CTD or falling through the world, or getting stuck on a rock bugs yet.

Not to be argumentative, but what exactly is fun about crafting other than the fact that you don't really do anything and get stuff in the process?  I like the automation, but only because the craftign process is so benign.  I'd much rather crafting as a minigame (a la ATitD).  That would be more fun/interactive to me.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1030 on: January 10, 2012, 09:16:56 AM

Not to be argumentative, but what exactly is fun about crafting other than the fact that you don't really do anything and get stuff in the process?  I like the automation, but only because the craftign process is so benign.  I'd much rather crafting as a minigame (a la ATitD).  That would be more fun/interactive to me.  

I still prefer EQ2's crafting, if I want to have it interactive and stuff. Since crafting in MMOs can fuck right off these days, I like the fire and forget x4 companions option.

"You three go out and get shit and you asshat, you start building me shit... in fact build me 5 of that thing. I'll be out killing shit. Get back to me when you are done."

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1031 on: January 10, 2012, 09:18:41 AM

Whereas I pretty much want the opposite. It's the better end of the standard DIKU crafting stuff. In WoW I had to go back to a capital or hub if it had a crafting area, queue up a bunch of stuff, and proceed to not do anything with my character until I was done and then I had to go back to where I was. SWTOR, I send my companions to do it and get back to blasting shit.

I'd be for a minigame if I could really customize my items appearance (the one thing I kinda liked about Horizons, where you could make say, a shitty iron dagger but you could mix and match blades/hits/handguards to make something you liked).

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1032 on: January 10, 2012, 09:25:00 AM

I like that it doesn't interrupt my gameplay, it's pretty simple but you can work it if you want and that I can use my vault to craft from.

The last one is a much bigger deal then I thought it would be in practice. It went from "oh that's neat" when I first experienced it to now I can't imagine doing it any other way.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1033 on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:03 AM

I like this crafting system a lot.  I imagine it'll be even better when I have more companion and don't have to choose between sending Mako (I have the droid almost constantly doing something) out and questing.  Would be even better if you could queue up missions and had a larger crafting queue.

If I want mini-game style crafting, I'll play a crafting MMO.  

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1034 on: January 10, 2012, 09:58:46 AM

What I'm saying is that crafting in SWTOR isn't really crafting (to me).  You're just deciding which area your avatar gets to resource trade in. 

I'm fine with the system as far as the service it provides, but calling it "crafting" really seems like a misnomer.

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

Reply #1035 on: January 10, 2012, 10:03:49 AM

And then making finished goods out of individual components.  Sure seems like crafting.  You can choose not to make anything, but you could do that in WoW or other games as well.  This is somewhat of a ridiculous nit.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1036 on: January 10, 2012, 10:06:09 AM

And then making finished goods out of individual components.  Sure seems like crafting.  You can choose not to make anything, but you could do that in WoW or other games as well.  This is somewhat of a ridiculous nit.

It's pretty much identical to crafting in WoW with the exception of not having to sit and stare at the completion/harvesting bars.  I know this.  I didn't really feel like the crafting in WoW was "crafting" either. 

I'm allowed to be as ridiculous as I like.  It's how I fit in around here!!!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-  Mark Twain
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1037 on: January 10, 2012, 10:07:30 AM

The crafting system is very much like EVE crafting with its task delegation. If that means EVE crafting doesn't count as crafting either... Ohhhhh, I see.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1038 on: January 10, 2012, 10:08:44 AM

More like Fallen Earth.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1039 on: January 10, 2012, 10:10:44 AM

Also SWG.

Anyway, you click a button - watch a progress bar, which game did it different?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1040 on: January 10, 2012, 10:11:14 AM

No. SWG was way more involved. Between materials, and experiential points and such, you could have 500 variations of the same blaster.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Rasix

Reply #1041 on: January 10, 2012, 10:13:07 AM

Gather shit. Make shit from shit. Make shit from that shit.  Possibly slice shit afterwards.

-Rasix
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1042 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:43 AM

Anyway, you click a button - watch a progress bar, which game did it different?
Puzzle Pirates. It was large bag of fun too, at least the mini-games they had as the base for their crafting.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1043 on: January 10, 2012, 10:21:00 AM

Big difference for me on the crafting is the reverse engineering. In WoW, to find recipies beyond those that you could buy, you had to look up which mobs in which zones could potentially drop which schematics, and then actively farm the crap out of them, assuming you fit the level. ToR's system just seems more elegant? Take base schematic, RE it to get back matts and a chance at an upgraded version. Make the upgraded version and RE for a chance at the uber version.

There are still random recipes around, but the game never forces you to farm mobs to get decent options.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1044 on: January 10, 2012, 10:21:37 AM

I was an awesome crafter in Puzzle Pirates. It was always some random shopowner's lucky day when Sjofn rolled into town, with the urge to DISTILL SOME RUM.

God Save the Horn Players
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1045 on: January 10, 2012, 10:24:22 AM

There are still random recipes around, but the game never forces you to farm mobs to get decent options.

It does in a way.  Many of the better recipes and their components are only obtained from heroics and raids.

-  Mark Twain
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1046 on: January 10, 2012, 10:50:37 AM

They are saying that reverse engineering might have been nerfed, you have to destroy a lot more stuff to get the schematics now, that would suck.

Tooling around the GTN I accidentally found out that you can buy crafting missions, I had no idea.  I can buy a purple quality mission that will get me both level four bio samples and compounds at the same time.  Not sure how it works, maybe once you buy it it has a chance to pop up in the mission list.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1047 on: January 10, 2012, 10:52:37 AM

They are one-shot thing, which makes them bit less practical purchase :/
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1048 on: January 10, 2012, 10:53:11 AM

We should probably wait a few months before taking a view on what counts as "decent".

I'm perfectly happy in my inquisitor's Orange quality circulation restricting scarlet jumpsuit of doom. But who knows what will be considered acceptable by the summer.

---

Regarding missions bought on GTN - you get to run them once, then they disappear forever.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1049 on: January 10, 2012, 10:57:13 AM

They are saying that reverse engineering might have been nerfed, you have to destroy a lot more stuff to get the schematics now, that would suck.

Tooling around the GTN I accidentally found out that you can buy crafting missions, I had no idea.  I can buy a purple quality mission that will get me both level four bio samples and compounds at the same time.  Not sure how it works, maybe once you buy it it has a chance to pop up in the mission list.

This is how it works exactly. The missions are double the time and I think my scavenging ones that Domo gave me yielded 28 of one metal and 36 of a compound...  I want to say grade 5 or 6. Oh yeah, you can fail them as well, so go with someone that can do the gathering well... a companion that likes you a lot or someone with +15 to the mission.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  
Jump to: