Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch... 0 Members and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  (Read 202752 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #805 on: January 01, 2012, 10:11:16 AM

Your quote is all fucked up. And auto follow still does not work properly.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: January 01, 2012, 10:41:37 AM

Your quote is all fucked up. And auto follow still does not work properly.

I said it was buggy.  Head scratch

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #807 on: January 01, 2012, 07:22:24 PM

I don't know if it was mentioned, but those auto generated emails BW sends once you hit  level 10 is a great touch.  Never seen that before. 
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #808 on: January 01, 2012, 11:24:48 PM

I don't know if it was mentioned, but those auto generated emails BW sends once you hit  level 10 is a great touch.  Never seen that before. 
I levelled all eight classes to ten and have never seen such a thing.  Did this email ask for your account info...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #809 on: January 01, 2012, 11:40:58 PM

I think he means the story related emails.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: January 01, 2012, 11:46:54 PM

Wrong: No Launch in Australia :(

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #811 on: January 02, 2012, 02:06:22 AM

I think he means the story related emails.

Yeah, those are a great trick to make the world feel somehow deeper, and that your random questing actually has meaning.

"Remember that thing you did three hours ago? Well, here's how things went on from there in your absence."

Plus, putting small random rewards in the attachments is an excellent hook to get your attention.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: January 02, 2012, 06:39:22 AM

I'm waiting for the Bioware(cough mythic) billing issues to crop up, cancelled for now so lets see what happens.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: January 02, 2012, 06:51:25 AM

Plus, putting small random rewards in the attachments is an excellent hook to get your attention.

Unless they promised to make me rich and then hand me 100 credits. 

I am the .00000001428%
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #814 on: January 02, 2012, 07:18:45 AM

I'd kill for 100 credits. In fact, i lost count how many times i'd done that already.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #815 on: January 02, 2012, 08:46:22 AM

Unless they promised to make me rich and then hand me 100 credits. 

"Congratulations, that piece of experimental tech you stole has sold for an amazing price, we are both going to live like kings, here is your cut"

37 credits.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: January 02, 2012, 09:55:05 AM

So, unsurprisingly, pvp design has trouble accounting for human behaviour

On the upside, exploit tears the sweetest tears.

edit: there's a spoiler for early imperial agent story arc in the loading screen so some might want to skip that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:04:25 AM by tmp »
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: January 02, 2012, 10:10:27 AM

So, unsurprisingly, pvp design has trouble accounting for human behaviour

On the upside, exploit tears the sweetest tears.

edit: there's a spoiler for early imperial agent story arc in the loading screen so some might want to skip that.

I don't get it.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: January 02, 2012, 10:22:09 AM

From what i gather flipping the pvp conflict lead respawns resource(?) nodes. So people basically get a group, then use lowbie alt on other side to flip control back and forth, getting high end resources at vastly accelerated rate.

A guy shows up and starts killing the alt (i.e. technically playing the pvp part as intended) stopping the respawns cold.

Hilarity ensues as the participants take offense.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #819 on: January 02, 2012, 10:51:11 AM

They really go out of their way to make sure you have to run to the back end of nowhere to continue missions, don't they?

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: January 02, 2012, 11:05:26 AM

The Illum thing will sort itself out once people actually hit 50 in any real number and go do it.

Then it will come right on back once server populations make it so one side always wins or whatever.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: January 02, 2012, 11:38:10 AM

From what i gather flipping the pvp conflict lead respawns resource(?) nodes. So people basically get a group, then use lowbie alt on other side to flip control back and forth, getting high end resources at vastly accelerated rate.

A guy shows up and starts killing the alt (i.e. technically playing the pvp part as intended) stopping the respawns cold.

Further reading suggests that the guild in question is from the Darth Hater site?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: January 02, 2012, 11:49:47 AM

There's both a daily and a weekly available at 50 that requires you to capture a Battle for Ilum node (5 for the daily, 15 for the weekly). Obviously you can't capture any nodes if you own them all, and they don't reset or anything, you have to wait for the opposing faction to take one back. Ilum doesn't have a level requirement to go there and the taxis are automatically granted to you so there's no mob dodging or anything required. It makes the offending party in the video a little more defensible as those dailies/weeklies are basically impossible for them unless they resort to stuff like that.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: January 02, 2012, 12:05:41 PM

Ilum will never be anything but a distraction and farm site until they give more of an incentive for world pvp ... which they won't.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: January 02, 2012, 02:03:44 PM

Mouth-breathers pushing back on LFD sound like the forum-dwelling mongoloids arguing against mods because recount exposed their brain damage.

Besides it would be no difficult feat to just not expose the combat log data to any modable interface. I don't think it's written anywhere that mods need access to everything.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: January 02, 2012, 03:14:33 PM

Those tools are popular because a certain hardcore segment of the population likes to use them to play a certain way and beat the rest of the population upside the head with the data.  LOTRO has neither an advanced LFG mechanism, damage parser or extensively modifiable UI and it is a terrific game.  The fact that folks prefer this model to WoW does not mean they are "forum-dwelling mongoloids": they just have a different opinion than you.

Honestly your post illustrates precisely what is wrong with WoW and why casual and friends and family groups are fleeing that game in droves.  

Damn now we're pointing at failed mmos' as prime examples of how to do things. This discussion is even better than a Trameil thread. Gonna post charts next?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:27:28 PM by Phred »
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: January 02, 2012, 03:33:50 PM

I'm not sure you can actually point at LotRO and call it a "failed MMO." From all reports they weren't doing that badly before they went free to play and going free to play has made them more money than ever.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: January 02, 2012, 04:19:57 PM

They had maybe 200k subs. If you define success as keeping your doors open then yeah, they didn't go out of business. Thing is, Turbine took one of the most valuable licenses in the world, a licenses that had just been mainlined to a new generation by three hugely popular and successful movies that captured everybody's imagination and were part of the cultural zeitgeist for several years, and delivered a MMO that barely managed to hold on.

I'm sure it's doing better now, although obviously we have no data, and F2P accounts aren't comparable to subscriptions. That's the only real lesson we should take from LOTRO, and Turbine in general, really. They know how to do F2P right.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: January 02, 2012, 05:23:39 PM

Though the lack of /follow seems a bit bizarre.

There is a follow. But its a bit buggy. Right click someones portrait.

That's not even the important /follow.

There desperately needs to be a /follow mob function, like in City of Heroes or Guild Wars. The melee combat in SWtOR is punishing without it, as maneuverability is at a premium in many situations, and the ability to two-button target/follow a mob would massively improve melee life. You never needed it in WoW because WoW's melee combat was never as multi-target oriented outside of a raid (in which case multiple mobs were usually dealt with via AE). Big mistake to leave it out of this game.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: January 02, 2012, 06:09:09 PM

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: January 02, 2012, 06:23:09 PM

Wait, so all these people did was camp a container and loot it every X minutes all day long? Did they use an exploit to make the container spawn more frequently or offer better loot? I guess I just don't understand why that's bannable behavior, particularly a perma-ban. No other MMO would ban for that. I must be missing something. Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:25:14 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #831 on: January 02, 2012, 06:30:02 PM

Wait, so all these people did was camp a container and loot it every X minutes all day long? Did they use an exploit to make the container spawn more frequently or offer better loot? I guess I just don't understand why that's bannable behavior, particularly a perma-ban. No other MMO would ban for that. I must be missing something. Am I missing something?

They were warned first.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: January 02, 2012, 06:32:07 PM

Oh. Fair enough, then.

Edit: Actually, all the permabans were goldfarmers farming credits for real money. The warnings and tempbans weren't linked to out of game transactions. Smells fine.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:52:48 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: January 02, 2012, 06:53:59 PM

None of the Ilum account were banned it says, still seems really, really stupid though.

Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum. To be completely clear, while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them, in the cases of those customers that were warned or temporarily suspended, they were systematically and repeatedly looting containers in very high numbers resulting in the game economy becoming unbalanced.

So, people that weren't exploiting anything, or breaking anything or disrupting anyone else's gameplay are being suspended for not playing the game the way Bioware wants them to?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:57:08 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #834 on: January 02, 2012, 06:59:37 PM

The way it was described earlier in the thread, they were exploiting poor game mechanics to respawn the containers.   When the zone flipped sides all containers respawn, instead of the timers being independent of the zone control.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: January 02, 2012, 07:01:14 PM

Gold spammers have started, apparently.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: January 02, 2012, 07:02:15 PM

Oh, sure. I got ingame mail from them last week, even.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: January 02, 2012, 08:30:56 PM

Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum.
So, people that weren't exploiting anything (..)
Not according to BioWare.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #838 on: January 02, 2012, 09:05:26 PM

Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum.
So, people that weren't exploiting anything (..)
Not according to BioWare.

Well, that's the point.  I could understand if they were botting, or maybe even if they were abusing something that spawns them really quickly.  But from the way they wrote it, it seems more along the lines of if they had suspended people that were farming Slicing missions repeatedly before it got nerfed.  Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: January 02, 2012, 09:22:11 PM

Well, that's the point.  I could understand if they were botting, or maybe even if they were abusing something that spawns them really quickly.  But from the way they wrote it, it seems more along the lines of if they had suspended people that were farming Slicing missions repeatedly before it got nerfed.  Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Ehh, i think it's pretty normal that as long as the exploit in question isn't patched they aren't going to post in their "some people have exploited" announcements the exact details that'd allow anyone who can read to replicate it. I mean, like MMO 101 normal.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  
Jump to: