Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:22:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch... 0 Members and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  (Read 202739 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: December 22, 2011, 07:29:42 AM

People that wait until the last minute get kicked in the teeth. Film at 11.  awesome, for real

I entered my code days ago.  There was no waiting until the last minute here.   They basically just didn't tell anyone and then cut everyone off all at once.   Almost nobody has entered their info early like you because of this and the results are what you'd expect.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: December 22, 2011, 07:31:15 AM

No, they announced "grace period to enter your code", I think, but what they meant was "grace period to enter code AND credit card."  It's stupid, because you should be able to play for 30 days w/o a CC, and the game should just stop letting you in once that expires in January.  And it's rated G so it's not like they need your CC to verify your age or whatever.

I have a feeling the real reason why they've done this was to confirm to the suits how many actual subscriptions they actually had, as a way to justify the more servers they added.  Riccitiello must be terrified that it'll be a flop like WAR, or something.

I'm fine with admitting it's my mistake. I thought the grace period was to input my code, and if they needed more the code entry page would have said "now do this, bitch"

I should have read the notices more carefully, but I'll still laugh about the idea that they are blocking access even though their system clearly knows that the account has game time remaining.

edit: All of the long form communication I see says "sign up for a sub", so it's entirely my own fault. I only read the headlines of "dude, activate your accounts", and did what I assumed was activating my account. My bad, but still kinda funny to me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:34:40 AM by kildorn »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #457 on: December 22, 2011, 07:38:20 AM

People that wait until the last minute get kicked in the teeth. Film at 11.  awesome, for real

I entered my code days ago.  There was no waiting until the last minute here.   They basically just didn't tell anyone and then cut everyone off all at once.   Almost nobody has entered their info early like you because of this and the results are what you'd expect.

Almost nobody logged into their game when they got it and updated their accounts? Really?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: December 22, 2011, 07:40:54 AM

No, they announced "grace period to enter your code", I think, but what they meant was "grace period to enter code AND credit card."  It's stupid, because you should be able to play for 30 days w/o a CC, and the game should just stop letting you in once that expires in January.  And it's rated G so it's not like they need your CC to verify your age or whatever.

I have a feeling the real reason why they've done this was to confirm to the suits how many actual subscriptions they actually had, as a way to justify the more servers they added.  Riccitiello must be terrified that it'll be a flop like WAR, or something.

I'm fine with admitting it's my mistake. I thought the grace period was to input my code, and if they needed more the code entry page would have said "now do this, bitch"

I should have read the notices more carefully, but I'll still laugh about the idea that they are blocking access even though their system clearly knows that the account has game time remaining.

edit: All of the long form communication I see says "sign up for a sub", so it's entirely my own fault. I only read the headlines of "dude, activate your accounts", and did what I assumed was activating my account. My bad, but still kinda funny to me.

No, you are exactly right.  When I dutifully entered my code yesterday, I only by happenstance noticed some vague wording to the effect: "might be a good idea to give us your subscription info."

In no way did I think that it was necessary, but since I was there I figured I'd save a trip and click on the camouflage grey icon that they definitely were not highlighting as IMPORTANT.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: December 22, 2011, 07:42:08 AM

Almost nobody logged into their game when they got it and updated their accounts? Really?

You don't have to "update" your account.   You have to ENTER credit card info.   Obviously a lot of old vets had the forethought to add CC info with nothing telling them to do so.   That's a pretty freaking small percentage of players though.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: December 22, 2011, 07:42:21 AM

People that wait until the last minute get kicked in the teeth. Film at 11.  awesome, for real

? I think what we're saying is that we DID. I got my live code, logged in immediately and redeemed it. I've been chilling on my Digital Deluxe Segway for most of the week. However, when I entered said code, the site at no point said "Now enter your credit card information and pick a subscription plan"

I thought I had activated my account by entering the live code with it's 30 days of gameplay attached. Let's consider it a game time card and product code in one, in my mind. According to bioware, this is not true and I have 30 days of pre-paid game time on my account, but I am not able to log in as I have not selected a payment plan. I find this silly, but it IS documented.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #461 on: December 22, 2011, 07:47:45 AM

Hate to break this to you guys, but when you got done with the key, there was this box right below that which said "Enter your CC info here!"

I think the order was:

Pick your security questions!
Enter your key!
Enter you Subscriptions CC!
Download the client!

Anyway, they will figure it out. No big deal.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: December 22, 2011, 07:50:06 AM

Hate to break this to you guys, but when you got done with the key, there was this box right below that which said "Enter your CC info here!"

Maybe they added that by the time you got around to entering your code or something.   There was no such box on my page.   Talking to like 20 people in vent right now who don't remember such a box either so it must of been pretty hidden if it was there.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: December 22, 2011, 07:50:33 AM

Enter your key!
Download the client!

This was my experience as well.  I entered the key and then a new placard appeared that wanted me to subscribe, and I was like "Oh yeah, subscription based game...duh!"

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #464 on: December 22, 2011, 07:51:05 AM

I thought I had activated my account by entering the live code with it's 30 days of gameplay attached. Let's consider it a game time card and product code in one, in my mind. According to bioware, this is not true and I have 30 days of pre-paid game time on my account, but I am not able to log in as I have not selected a payment plan. I find this silly, but it IS documented.

This really is an issue. You drop in your game code and at no point does it automatically force you over to the sub page, which it should. We all have been around the block and know this is how it happens, I can't imagine what these MMO virgins are going through wondering why they see they have time but can't log in. Luckily, after I punched in my number 2 days before launch, I thought it odd that I didn't set up a reoccurring sub at that point.... 2 days later. Yesterday, I realized I should probably look into it and luckily got on the website to put in the info. Very strange to structure your pay-to-play game without funneling the masses through the process automatically. I'd put on my tin foil hat and suspect BW did it on purpose to shave a few play days off people's accounts but don't see how they'd profit off of it, so I just assume it is the same clownshoes operation that actually puts you into a queue to visit the god damn forums....

speaking of which, are those official forums going bye bye? I heard rumors. If so...  roflcopter

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: December 22, 2011, 07:55:14 AM

speaking of which, are those official forums going bye bye? I heard rumors. If so...  roflcopter

sinij, is that you?   why so serious?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: December 22, 2011, 07:57:06 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

ACK!

Sometimes I wish there was a way to kick my own arse really hard...  

I connived an afternoon off work to play... thinking last night "all my registration is done, I'll put in my card details tomorrow...".

Facepalm

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #467 on: December 22, 2011, 08:03:19 AM

Maybe they added that by the time you got around to entering your code or something.   There was no such box on my page.   Talking to like 20 people in vent right now who don't remember such a box either so it must of been pretty hidden if it was there.

Well, I guess Luckton and I were the only ones in the galaxy  awesome, for real

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: December 22, 2011, 08:11:35 AM

I think the order was:

Enter your key!
Download the client!

It may be a different method of redeeming the code, but I had no such page.

I hit redeem code, had one box to put in a code. When entered, it dumped me to a single page that said "activated DD code" and had no other text beyond a button that would return me to my account settings. At that point, I closed my browser because I was done there.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #469 on: December 22, 2011, 08:12:44 AM

There was a continue button on that page.

The account setting had the boxes.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: December 22, 2011, 08:15:23 AM

I'm looking at the page right now.   The "button" or plaque or whatever you are talking about doesn't actually appear even now.  I've to scroll down about a page worth to see it.   So congrats for scrolling I guess?  Why are you being a dick about it?  Their method of doing this was clearly retarded and there's no reason to defend them.   I've no problem with them requiring CC info I just think they should of bothered to send me to the subscription page earlier.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: December 22, 2011, 08:17:28 AM

Their twitter feed says the login page for their website has been turned off, has been for 3 hrs ... and no, I didn't put my CC info in when I redeemed my game code. It didn't ask me to.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:19:05 AM by Viin »

- Viin
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: December 22, 2011, 08:19:08 AM

I'm looking at the page right now.   The "button" or plaque or whatever you are talking about doesn't actually appear even now.  I've to scroll down about a page worth to see it.   So congrats for scrolling I guess?  Why are you being a dick about it?  Their method of doing this was clearly retarded and there's no reason to defend them.   I've no problem with them requiring CC info I just think they should of bothered to send me to the subscription page earlier.

Hurt fanboys need to channel their passions somewhere when their old games no longer satisfy.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: December 22, 2011, 08:19:16 AM

Their twitter feed says the login page for their website has been turned off, has been for 3 hrs ...

They turned it on about 30 minutes after that message.    People have been getting in randomly.  About 30 minutes ago they seem to have throttled the queue further to at least let the account server not die.  Just got in a bit ago.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: December 22, 2011, 08:19:49 AM

We'll see! I've been in "queue" for 10 mins now.

- Viin
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: December 22, 2011, 08:22:28 AM

Once you get through the queue and get to the page where you can click "subscription" open that in a new tab in case it blows up on you.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: December 22, 2011, 08:31:27 AM

Yeah got in and it worked OK using PayPal - no issues - just took a min for the paypal transaction to finish.

- Viin
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: December 22, 2011, 08:32:14 AM

Was speaking to some friends on FB... some have been in the queue for 2-3 hours.

ACK!

VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: December 22, 2011, 08:32:56 AM

Yeah got in and it worked OK using PayPal - no issues - just took a min for the paypal transaction to finish.

wtf... are you in EU?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: December 22, 2011, 08:34:36 AM

How are you people having these issues? I got on last night at 5PM and had zero problems with the site to enter in my info or my CC or my keys?
Probably because I entered my key a week ago.  I didn't know they needed my CC info.  Nor did the other million pre-order folks who already entered their codes.

So their websites are exploding.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: December 22, 2011, 08:36:35 AM

I think the order was:

Enter your key!
Download the client!

This is pretty much exactly how it looked to me.

Set up security questions
Enter game key
Enter subscription
Activate authenticator

Though, to be fair it didn't say you HAD to set up the last two steps and would let you continue without.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: December 22, 2011, 08:39:46 AM

There wasn't, a week ago, when we entered our codes.

They didn't have the subscription option up until launch day.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: December 22, 2011, 08:41:55 AM

Shrug, I entered my key and CC info just now. I sat in the web queue for maybe 10 minutes. Such a non-issue.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: December 22, 2011, 08:57:58 AM

I set up a paypal subscription 2 days ago and I've been in this queue for 2 hours.  They're just not ready for prime time.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: December 22, 2011, 09:01:28 AM

The website queue? Really?

Or did you mean a queue for your server?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #485 on: December 22, 2011, 09:09:18 AM

I set-up my code 2 days ago and there was a box then.  It's a failure of the system being turned on right when they allowed early sales if it wasn't there prior to official launch day.  Silly EA, you're so big your right hand never knows what the left is doing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: December 22, 2011, 09:11:30 AM

The sub option was definitely there by the 18th at least, since that's when I did mine.

So I guess all this explains why there's only 33 people in Nar Shaddaa right now.  I'd hate to be one of their web techs right now.  They must be hating life right now.  Merry Christmas!  awesome, for real

Over and out.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: December 22, 2011, 09:14:32 AM

On the bright side: Think about all the experience they're getting that they can apply to launching Mass Effect Online  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #488 on: December 22, 2011, 09:30:26 AM

Well, I guess you can either take this as a learning experience to put in your CC info when you sign up for a game that has a subscription, or blame the company.

I can guess which most people will do.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: December 22, 2011, 09:35:12 AM

Are you guys really stuck in the website queue for hours? I waited under 15 minutes, input my code and CC#, and was good to go. I suppose I may have just been lucky, but given my karma, that just seems so unlikely.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  
Jump to: