Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:11:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch... 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  (Read 202720 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #70 on: December 14, 2011, 04:59:32 PM

One minor hiccup I've found: They forgot to disable the debugger  ACK!

If you open your Task Manager, you may see two copies of SWTOR.exe running.  One's the game, the other (the one using less memory) is the debugger. The work-around right now is to set the debugger to a lower process priority (right click it, Set Priority, Low).  If you have a multi-core system, set it to only use 1 CPU core (right click it, Set Affinity, uncheck everything but one CPU core).  I noticed an ok boost when doing this.  A little less studdering and whatnot.

I'm not really compent with that kind of stuff but...Are you sure? That would be quite an oversight, wouldn't it? Have you tried to write a topic on the forums or something?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 14, 2011, 05:17:26 PM

My computer is utterly stumping me.  I didn't have time in November to play beta, but I cannot download the client.  Every time I click on the launcher, it just hangs for eternity (nothing pops up) until I go into my taskbar and shut it down.

I've tried playing in network-enabled safe mode, deleting patch directory, deleting all appdata temporary files relating to SWTOR, running as administrator, opening all dev-recommended ports on my wireless router, shutting down windows firewall and antivirus software- nothing.  Can never get anything to pop up when I click on the launcher.  Having a Japanese OS that I mostly can't read doesn't help.

Not worried yet since I haven't gotten in (didn't preorder until very early December) but this is worrying me....

Are you still in Japan? I thought I read that China, Japan and Korea are all IP blocked from SWTOR, but not 100% sure.

Not in Japan (in America), but I wonder if it detects the Japanese OS somehow.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #72 on: December 14, 2011, 05:19:32 PM

Their stated policy is no IP blocking by region last I checked.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 14, 2011, 08:31:55 PM

I hate crafting.

I love crafting in SWTOR because I don't have to actually do it.

This is great.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 14, 2011, 09:22:45 PM

Also note you can keep all your crafting shit in your vault and it will use that too.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 14, 2011, 10:04:36 PM

Only complaint I have after a couple of days is that my server (Terentatek, East Coast PvP) is so heavily titled towards Sith that we're getting Huttball 90% of the time as it's the only one that supports same-faction battles.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 14, 2011, 11:00:29 PM

Not worried yet since I haven't gotten in (didn't preorder until very early December) but this is worrying me....
Doublecheck you don't have anything like peerblock etc running by accident.

I thought the login servers were down for hours and was wondering why nobody on the forum complained.  swamp poop

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 14, 2011, 11:37:33 PM

Also note you can keep all your crafting shit in your vault and it will use that too.

Seriously?  Awesome.  I've been carting stuff around. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #78 on: December 14, 2011, 11:56:28 PM

That's a really nice feature.

I got lucky with reverse engineering and netted my first purple recipe. Unfortunately, I was just shredding some old belt, so I have a lvl 9 purple heavy belt recipe for the BHs :) Ras got the first one. Got quite a few blues, enough to keep me in pretty good gear. The anti-clown button would be nice, though. Red/blue/white/orange.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: December 15, 2011, 03:18:17 AM

I got lucky with reverse engineering and netted my first purple recipe. Unfortunately, I was just shredding some old belt, so I have a lvl 9 purple heavy belt recipe for the BHs :) Ras got the first one. Got quite a few blues, enough to keep me in pretty good gear. The anti-clown button would be nice, though. Red/blue/white/orange.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Well, those belts shour be worth quite some cash once everyone is leveling their 2nd/3rd whatever alt.

So, let me see, do I understand crafting right. You can only reverse enginer crafted items, they give a bluebrint one tier above the original, then you craft that one, deconstruct it again and get a purple one ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 15, 2011, 03:40:20 AM

So, let me see, do I understand crafting right. You can only reverse enginer crafted items, they give a bluebrint one tier above the original, then you craft that one, deconstruct it again and get a purple one ?

Bazinga.  Though it's not a guarantee that you'll get an upgraded schematic everytime.  More like a 1/10 chance.  So be prepared to craft and break a lot of shit if it's your intention to learn every recipe out there.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 15, 2011, 04:08:04 AM

It's a great way to raise your skill while trying to get schematics though.  I tend to focus on the items I would use, then alts/companions, then when I have spare mats everything else.

You have to be careful to balance it though since blue and purple material missions can really eat into your starting cash.  There was this time I couldn't afford training because I spent it all on missions.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 15, 2011, 06:48:31 AM

Yeah, that happened to me in my first beta weekend. Right now my PURPZ will come from happy accidents. I am shooting for blues, I like the variants you can get...so even if you get one blue recipe from an item, there are alternates you can get. I got one that was +Power and another that was +Crit.

And of course if you're really looking to be a master crafter, you must craft it until you crit it so it has a mod slot!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Enjoying the system so far, my only gripe is that it's slow with only one companion. 5 blues can take Mako out of circulation for 15-25 minutes!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 15, 2011, 07:45:39 AM

The crafting system is a little weak until you have two dudes to send out (one to play with, one to craft) imo. But I really like it. And I get far too much of a kick out of the fact that YOU, the HERO would never actually loot a crafting node. MINIONS! PICK THAT ROCK UP!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: December 15, 2011, 08:12:21 AM

I'm focusing on purple stims and medpacs right now.  I LOVE how they are all reusable.  Fantastic!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 15, 2011, 08:32:25 AM

Yep, I had a REAL hard time between armormech (arpee, mandalorians and their armor) and bio stim goodness. Purples are only usable by the creator or someone with biochem, though, right?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #86 on: December 15, 2011, 08:49:57 AM

Reusable stims and medpacks?  It's day three and I've already screwed up my choices!  I didn't know what to do so took all harvesting in the hopes of making money later, harvesting always seems like the moneymaker.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #87 on: December 15, 2011, 09:41:01 AM

I took cybertech but now I'm beginning to think I didn't want to.  I can't remember for the life of me.

I know I wanted slicing, though.  So slicing, cyber and scavenging it is.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 15, 2011, 10:01:51 AM

My beta impression was Arms and Armor techs were largely useless.  If you get multi slot items as drops and you can unslot mods at will why bother with gear that only has one slot, and that one slot you have to crit for!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 15, 2011, 10:05:13 AM

My beta impression was Arms and Armor techs were largely useless.  If you get multi slot items as drops and you can unslot mods at will why bother with gear that only has one slot, and that one slot you have to crit for!

You can make the orange gear with armortech and armstech.

I took cybertech but now I'm beginning to think I didn't want to.  I can't remember for the life of me.

I know I wanted slicing, though.  So slicing, cyber and scavenging it is.

I took Cybertech because you get to make droid gear, two of the mods for gear, vehicles, some cybernetic implants.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 15, 2011, 10:14:55 AM

Ok, but you get orange gear all the time anyway, and they come with mods!  I have 3 orange guns.  What is the incentive for crafters?  If it is appearance only that is fine, but it will hurt the market value.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:38:01 AM by Pezzle »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #91 on: December 15, 2011, 10:15:38 AM

Ah I did want cyber then.. I knew I was waffling between bio and cyber. The vehicles & droid gear were what swayed me, even though the mods will likely useless once you have a few crafted and raids are happening.

Thanks for the reminder!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 15, 2011, 10:40:02 AM

Cybertech gets custom vehicles, so at least you can appeal to collectors.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 15, 2011, 10:54:00 AM

Who gets droids and or what are the parts used for, is that just pets?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 15, 2011, 10:59:15 AM

Droid parts are cybertech, if that is your question.

Everyone gets droid companions
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #95 on: December 15, 2011, 05:38:58 PM

My sound's weird and I'm stuck in a queue listening to the same ship go by over and over.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 15, 2011, 06:35:56 PM

Ok, but you get orange gear all the time anyway, and they come with mods!  I have 3 orange guns.  What is the incentive for crafters?  If it is appearance only that is fine, but it will hurt the market value.

Armstech is still good because you make the rating mod for weapons yourself, the barrel.  Artifice is even better making a rating mod, hilts, and two general mods, enhancements and color crystals.  Armortech/Synthweaving really are just all in on appearance with is okay with what I enjoy most with crafting.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #97 on: December 15, 2011, 07:19:30 PM

If you open your Task Manager, you may see two copies of SWTOR.exe running.  One's the game, the other (the one using less memory) is the debugger. The work-around right now is to set the debugger to a lower process priority (right click it, Set Priority, Low).  If you have a multi-core system, set it to only use 1 CPU core (right click it, Set Affinity, uncheck everything but one CPU core).  I noticed an ok boost when doing this.  A little less studdering and whatnot.

this seems important.   Mob
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #98 on: December 15, 2011, 07:56:29 PM

Bloom effects caused a huge framerate problem on my machine. I had to turn that off. Runs like a charm now.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 15, 2011, 08:27:02 PM

I am right now wondering why I bothered to preorder it at all.   I understand what they are doing.  I understand why they are doing things in the manner in which they are going about it with early access.  However from their advertising, I thought when I paid that $5 fee that I was going to get in on the 15th (I also don't want to hear about Origin saying up to because it didn't when I preordered).  I am right now wondering what the hell that $5 fee is for.  Also I am wondering about whether or not I am going to get to play with my guild at all.  From what they are telling me the queues are hideous and I am fully expecting that by the time I get to play I will not have the ability to choose the server they are on.  

I really regret paying EA anything in advance at all.  Had I waited, I would get access cheaper.  I would have the certainty of an access date.  I would feel more at peace with the anxiety of not being able to play with the same people I have been playing MMO's with since AC2.  I would be more at peace with it since it would be by my decision.  Right now certainty is better than limbo.

So speaking only for myself as a gamers perspective, launch or prelauch such that it is or is not is not going well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:29:51 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #100 on: December 15, 2011, 08:43:55 PM

this seems important.   Mob
Seems to be either computer-dependent or some freaky accident (double clicking the launch icon twice or smth?) because i'm not experiencing that. Tabbed back and forth a few times, didn't see anything like that in the task manager.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: December 15, 2011, 10:14:41 PM

I do have 2 running.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 16, 2011, 12:05:06 AM

I am right now wondering why I bothered to preorder it at all.   I understand what they are doing.  I understand why they are doing things in the manner in which they are going about it with early access.  However from their advertising, I thought when I paid that $5 fee that I was going to get in on the 15th (I also don't want to hear about Origin saying up to because it didn't when I preordered).  I am right now wondering what the hell that $5 fee is for.  

It's a deposit.

No really, it's a deposit. You should read their pre-order FAQs and the bit about "what happens if I cancel my pre-order" where they say they'll refund it to you. I linked it to Numtini in another thread - I CBA to find it again.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 16, 2011, 12:06:21 AM

From what they are telling me the queues are hideous and I am fully expecting that by the time I get to play I will not have the ability to choose the server they are on.  

Did you not sign up for the guild preplacement thing?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 16, 2011, 02:34:24 AM

The game is down for maintenance while they add more PURPLZ.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: What's going right/wrong with launch...  
Jump to: