Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 453609 times)
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1190 on: March 16, 2019, 07:47:42 PM

I'm levelling a Marauder again. I started with a ranger but couldn't handle the synthesis events. I'll make that my second character instead once I build up my gear resources.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1191 on: March 16, 2019, 08:04:47 PM

Heh, I'm leveling a ranger to get gear so I can handle synthesis with a marauder.  awesome, for real
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #1192 on: March 17, 2019, 08:38:39 AM

Reinstalled and fired it up for the first time in years (back when it was 4 or 5 acts?)

It’s still shit at explaining much of anything.  Having some fun though, so whatev

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1193 on: March 17, 2019, 03:00:40 PM

Vortex is one of those builds that's quite marginal until suddenly all the pieces are in place and you realise you're just a non-stop fuck monster.

So there's that.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: March 17, 2019, 07:28:00 PM

This league sucks.

Divine Ire is fun.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: March 18, 2019, 12:02:51 AM

I have no idea what I am doing with synthesis... but I love the mob density so I just don't care. It's great for levelling

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1196 on: March 18, 2019, 01:24:48 AM

Yeah, the actual mechanics for Synthesis, both the memory stuff and the crafting are just fucking stupid and clearly pointed at end-game spergers.

But the good thing is there's a huge breadth now ;  you can temple, delve, bestiary, synth or map depending on how you feel. 

What bothers me most is the fact that I STILL have to play through the game first.  They should have done away with that shit ages ago.

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #1197 on: March 18, 2019, 09:17:00 AM

Yeah, the actual mechanics for Synthesis, both the memory stuff and the crafting are just fucking stupid and clearly pointed at end-game spergers.

I used to wonder how a company could design and release systems that are sooo poorly designed and implemented that data mining replaces actual game play for understanding how the systems work; now I understand that this is just "on-brand" for them and something they think is cool.  Mostly I now just treat their mini-games as MOB repositories that sometimes provide something of marginal value... by accident.  Some of their mini-games I just ignore forever (Pyramid is auto-skip for me; if there's a rhyme or reason to Besiary, I have no idea; Delve is almost ok by POE standards; and I stopped trying to figure out Syndicate ages ago... execute everyone and hope for a crafting drop)  There's no way I'd "invest" in trying to play the game how they imagine we'd should.  That way madness lies.

And I'm ok with a talent building sim for a couple/few weeks every few months.

Synthesis impresses me with two stupid systems... the map building system *and* the crafting system are both so stupid that if you gave me the answer in one sentence, I still wouldn't try to understand.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: March 18, 2019, 10:55:45 AM

For what it's worth, Reddit has been shitting on Synthesis haaaaaaaaaard and there's also a vocal contingent pointing out that the game pulls you in too many directions at once with all the newer leagues going core (Incursion, Delve, Betrayal, and Synthesis all *force* you to stop mapping if you don't want their league-specific resources to overflow and waste encounters). Chris Wilson (lead designer) has previously entertained the idea of rotating out league mechanics once the game gets saturated, so hopefully GGG will decide we're at that point and start axing things - or at least giving them the Bestiary treatment - soon.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1199 on: March 18, 2019, 12:38:26 PM

I felt that way last league; I find mapping fun, but FOMO made me go into Delve (which I really don't like and where 90% of my deaths came from) whenever the Sulphite (Azurite?) filled up. The Betrayal safehouses and Incursion temples are at least fairly quick, but burning through all your Delves could take a while. I wouldn't mind if all of those mechanics ended up in Standard, but for the shorter leagues they should either rotate on a league-by-league basis or on a weekly basis within the leagues.

I haven't touched the new league yet. Not sure if I'll keep my 'every other league' habit or hop in later on.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: March 18, 2019, 12:42:11 PM

What bothers me most is didn't the release private leagues ?  So why bloat the main game if you have the CHOICE to make your own ?

I don't get it.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1201 on: March 18, 2019, 01:35:41 PM

It'd be nice if there was a bigger degree of separation between all these mechanics.  If you could just pick and choose which ones you wanted to play it wouldn't be such a mess.  For example, I enjoy Delving.  I'd be perfectly happy just running maps and Delving, but I can't really do that.  I have to punch myself in the dick repeatedly to get enough sulphite to Delve.  Since sulphite is so limited I'm basically forced to venture into the other mechanics in order to get the gear/resources I need to keep advancing in the game.

most often known as Drevik
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1202 on: March 18, 2019, 03:17:51 PM

For what it's worth, Reddit has been shitting on Synthesis haaaaaaaaaard and there's also a vocal contingent pointing out that the game pulls you in too many directions at once with all the newer leagues going core (Incursion, Delve, Betrayal, and Synthesis all *force* you to stop mapping if you don't want their league-specific resources to overflow and waste encounters). Chris Wilson (lead designer) has previously entertained the idea of rotating out league mechanics once the game gets saturated, so hopefully GGG will decide we're at that point and start axing things - or at least giving them the Bestiary treatment - soon.

I've been following these debates and I agree the end game design is real shit. This game dies for me once my build is basically done. I can't be bothered grinding rng maps for end game bosses.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: March 18, 2019, 03:19:30 PM

It'd be nice if there was a bigger degree of separation between all these mechanics.  If you could just pick and choose which ones you wanted to play it wouldn't be such a mess.  For example, I enjoy Delving.  I'd be perfectly happy just running maps and Delving, but I can't really do that.  I have to punch myself in the dick repeatedly to get enough sulphite to Delve.  Since sulphite is so limited I'm basically forced to venture into the other mechanics in order to get the gear/resources I need to keep advancing in the game.

Get rid of maps and sulphite and just let me delve and dig my way to the elder fights.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1204 on: March 18, 2019, 05:13:02 PM

I love Delving but I want them to rework Sulphite instead of ditching it completely. The select reward, follow tractor, collect loot gameplay loop is intensely satisfying in small-to-medium doses but it's a pretty transparent numbers treadmill in the big picture, much like D3's rifts. The system needs an occasional layer of friction to keep it engaging.

Mapping adds friction by making you craft maps and shape your atlas. Delve adds friction by making you map. I'd like them to loosen this dependency and let Delve find its friction elsewhere - even though I understand why they probably never will. All just my opinion of course.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1205 on: March 18, 2019, 05:32:36 PM

I like the "select reward, follow tractor, collect loot" bit of Delving, but the fact that a lot of it's rewards are hidden off in the rapidly-killing darkness coupled with an XP penalty really turns me off the mode. Even on badass characters who clear maps easily, I find Delve to be the new Lab in terms of bullshit that kills my character excessively.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1206 on: March 18, 2019, 09:05:13 PM

Mapping is a stupid mechanic to base a whole end game on.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1207 on: March 19, 2019, 12:38:45 PM

Anyone else having tech issues with Memory areas ?  Wife got there finally and her machine shat the bed and turned into PowerPoint.

It's ok in 'normal' areas, but they must have put something graphically heavy in the new areas, 'cause it's just fucking unplayable for her.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1208 on: March 19, 2019, 01:30:29 PM

I've had that issue.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1209 on: March 19, 2019, 01:39:25 PM

Anyone else having tech issues with Memory areas ?  Wife got there finally and her machine shat the bed and turned into PowerPoint.

It's ok in 'normal' areas, but they must have put something graphically heavy in the new areas, 'cause it's just fucking unplayable for her.

I haven't run into anything frame rate related. I have had the issue where a memory has instantly collapsed on me. That was a tad annoying.

I'm starting to get the "there's way too much shit going on" feeling as well. I'd really just love to not have some of this shit pop up all of the time. I feel somewhat compelled to do it, because I'm an insane completionist at times. Just give me the intro quest and go the hell away.

-Rasix
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1210 on: March 19, 2019, 01:54:37 PM

I've had something like that where it just starts stuttering like crazy for 30-60 seconds, typically ending with me getting kicked out to the log-in screen.  Previously, it took 20 - 30 minutes of playing before it'd happen, but I tried playing last night, and it happened as soon as I logged in. 

This is a new issue as of this league.  Last league it was my flasks, items, etc. taking a minute or two to load in whenever I'd start the game, but it otherwise ran smoothly no matter how much was going on on-screen.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: March 19, 2019, 07:49:54 PM

I have had the issue where a memory has instantly collapsed on me. That was a tad annoying.

I hit act 5, and realized there were only 3 acts last time I played, so clearly I know fuckall about shit but that collapse hit the first time I tried a memory and I almost quit again.  Now I’ve been skipping them since act 3 since I get annoyed at it telling me I’m full on bits and need to go drop them on the map or whatever.  For jack shit in the way of loot, mostly.

I don’t remember the game being this stingy with 6-socket items.  Wrong color or links was common enough back in the day but the base items weren’t that uncommon.  Is that a function of level —I’m only 48– or do I just have to burn the orbs when I’m levelled up? Or does the RNG hate me?

Oh, also I occasionally get like a 5-second pause for no discernable reason but not a steady slideshow or anything.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:51:55 PM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1212 on: March 19, 2019, 07:54:32 PM

If I remember right, I didn't really start seeing 6 socket drops until somewhere in the 50s, and then once I was in the 60-70s they were relatively common-ish.  Not sure what act(s) that correlated to, though.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: March 19, 2019, 08:16:34 PM

6 socket items require item level 50+.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1214 on: March 20, 2019, 03:21:03 AM

I'm 80 and there's a shitload of 6 sockets dropping.  I just vendor them for the sweet, sweet currency that I can make fusings with tho. Most 6 sockets are pointless if they aren't linked, with some cool exceptions.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1215 on: March 20, 2019, 08:38:30 AM

Don't you guys use currency to forge links? If I have something really good I bring it up to 20 quality and craft the link in myself.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1216 on: March 20, 2019, 08:59:54 AM

For 4s and 5s, sure; I've never found a 6s item that was good enough to blow 1k+ fusings on.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1217 on: March 20, 2019, 09:03:12 AM

I havent really been playing long enough to know whats worth blowing money on I think. But I'm having fun so that's good enough.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1218 on: March 20, 2019, 09:12:38 AM

Don't you guys use currency to forge links? If I have something really good I bring it up to 20 quality and craft the link in myself.

I do, which is why I sell the 6links for....currency.

Literally not worth keeping 90% of the 6l that you find because they'll be subpar for your build.  You want to get the right item at the highest level and then craft after that.  You're usually just finding shit.  Even 5 links are probably best crafted yourself rather than settling for shite.

When you look at the auction house, you usually find that some other fucker will sell you a nice 6 link for a lot less than you'd spend on your own currency trying to get it right.  These chaps go by sheer volume that you can't compete with.

I have used the link crafting recipe ONCE for a Impulsas, which I thought worthwhile, but I wouldn't do it again.  Saving up the required fusings is insane and you usually get bored and try it yourself, sending you right back to square one....

Case in Point :  I have a Fur Shawl that I'm wearing 4l.  Currently in my bank I have a 5 socket, which I will link and replace.  Only  then will I try and get it 6linked, hoping in the meantime to find a suitable ready replacement with enough ES on it to be worth it.

Edit :  as a better example, the 6 link I want is currently on sale for 4 exalt.  1 exalt costs 176 fusings.

So why would I fusing craft ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:25:08 AM by Ironwood »

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1219 on: March 20, 2019, 02:29:12 PM

Hah I've seen better stuff than I currently use for a few alchs or alts. I think have maybe 2 exalted to my name. But I've pissed away a lot on bad crafting decisions.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1220 on: March 20, 2019, 03:29:08 PM

You get better at shopping as you play.

Alas, you can also get bored of it.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1221 on: March 20, 2019, 03:55:57 PM

Shopping is all peer-to-peer, right? They haven't found some way to automate it yet?

I think I just started seeing 6 links at around 60 something. Nothing good yet. My gear has remained largely unchanged for the past 20 levels it seems.

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1222 on: March 20, 2019, 04:04:52 PM

Some people complain about the trading, but I find it quick and slick.

Find something on the site, copy the whisper, whisper the guy, get the invite, trade the shit, say thanks, use the shit.

It could be nice, I guess if you could just post up your Public Tabs and then money came in and items went out, but I find the trip to see someone's house sometimes inspirational.  Especially when they've gone to the effort of making the portal hole look like ur mom, coupled with corpses spelling out the obvious 'Ur Mom' joke.

You can't pay enough for good service like that.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1223 on: March 22, 2019, 04:03:55 AM

So they added a uniques collection tab to the $ shop.  why so serious?

...now just to fill it.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1224 on: March 22, 2019, 04:04:09 AM

My marauder is at 78 and mapping.

So of course the question is what is a good build for a ranger? :D

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: