Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 453554 times)
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #210 on: January 27, 2013, 05:26:32 PM

I have to say I love the skill web thingy.  The options available are all neat and give you lots of shit to look forward to.  I've liked this kind of thing since Final Fantasy did it back in 10?  I think it was. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #211 on: January 27, 2013, 06:44:13 PM

I have to say I love the skill web thingy.  The options available are all neat and give you lots of shit to look forward to.  I've liked this kind of thing since Final Fantasy did it back in 10?  I think it was. 

Very similar.

I guess the only difference in the classes is starting stats and where they start in the passive skill web.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: January 27, 2013, 07:18:53 PM

Someone got a link to a good build for a shadow?

I am the .00000001428%
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #213 on: January 28, 2013, 04:09:09 AM

I built this sight of game unseen based on the theme of dual wielding sword lightning mage

derrrrrrrrrrr

someone tell me how terrible it is.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #214 on: January 28, 2013, 05:37:50 AM

I built this sight of game unseen based on the theme of dual wielding sword lightning mage

derrrrrrrrrrr

someone tell me how terrible it is.
It looks like it'd work just fine; if it's broken or not I have no idea since you're not using any keystone passives.

I kinda wish they had a bit on the talent tree builder where it summarized the total stat/damage/etc boosts you had by the end.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: January 28, 2013, 05:54:58 AM

1) Most of your passive nodes need to be spent on defense if you want to survive beyond normal difficulty. Either lots of life or lots of energy shield is a must.
2) "Spells" and "Attacks" are mutually exclusive, and all abilities associated with weapon damage are attacks. So to keep your concept of hitting things with swords, you'll want to drop any nodes that say "spell" on them.
3) There is one weapon attack (Lightning Strike) that does lightning damage at range, but based on your melee weapon. It's a good fit for your concept and being at range would ameliorate some of your survivability issues, however Lightning Strike requires some Strength to use. Without any strength passives you'd have to get it all from gear, which would be extremely limiting.
4) You'll never get 110 passive points. Playing through all three difficulties you'll end up with 85-90. Those last 20 levels are quite the grind.
5) Crit nodes aren't very good unless you invest a LOT into them. However, going high crit actually helps with survivability because you can get flasks that refill themselves every time you crit something. Plus the effect for critting with lightning damage is fucking terrifying, so it's something you might consider.
6) You don't have any accuracy bonuses except for what you're getting from your dexterity. However you can offset this somewhat with the "Improved Accuracy" support gem, and if you invest into strength you can use str/dex swords which have an inherent acc bonus and would work fine.

Basically I would rework it into either a glassy crit/energy shield build with dex swords and Dual Strike that gets its lightning from gear, auras, and support skills; or a more balanced build with str/dex swords and Lightning strike to do good damage at range or in melee.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #216 on: January 28, 2013, 06:55:51 AM

I wanna make a tanky sword-n-board Marauder that focuses on using fire-support gems and molten shell, supported by blood magic and a fuckton of life.

Here's the build, but I'm just kinda stumped on where to go with all of the non-life points. I went for endurance charges, elemental resists since those are useful, and some +fire/one-handed damage but it really seems like if you're going to go for passives you need to go fairly whole-hog to get a sizable benefit.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:00:53 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: January 28, 2013, 08:19:45 PM

So, I was one of the people kinda rolling my eyes at the people singing TL2's praises, how it was what D3 should have been, etc.  I thought D3 was the best ARPG I'd played (with the major caveat that its flaws were both extremely damaging and seemingly easily avoidable. )

I was also one of the people ignoring this game because it looked ugly as fuck, and seemed obnoxiously, intentionally "too cool for noobz".

I have now played it.

1) It isn't gorgeous, but it actually is pretty decent for a limited budget.  Extremely importantly, I think it actually "feels" quite good, has a good sense of impact, etc.  Doesn't feel as good as D3, but that's a ridiculously high bar to reach.  PoE is good enough.  Significantly better than TL2 imho in terms of feeling like you're hitting things hard.

2) It actually is quite accessible given the level of depth.  The skill tree is designed well enough that it seems to naturally guide you to decent builds, and all other choices are reversible.  INCLUDING GEMS.  I cheered aloud when I realized you can freely swap them around.  YES.  Also, skill gems.  YES.  The loot flows freely, but not annoyingly so like in TL2, where you have a bank overflowing with set items after one hour.  I find this game significantly less intimidating than TL2, yet it feels way more complex and interesting.

So basically, whoops, I was totally wrong. 
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: January 28, 2013, 11:03:19 PM

That's ok, so was Blizzard and the D3 devs in particular  awesome, for real

It seems that GGG, a company that had no input in the development of D2 was able to take a Blizzard game and make it deeper (ok, plot is a bit "meh") and as much if not more fun.

Blizzard on the other hand, threw WoW lite Diablo 3 at us instead and slagged off at the D2 devs.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #219 on: January 28, 2013, 11:33:34 PM

1) Most of your passive nodes need to be spent on defense if you want to survive beyond normal difficulty. Either lots of life or lots of energy shield is a must.
2) "Spells" and "Attacks" are mutually exclusive, and all abilities associated with weapon damage are attacks. So to keep your concept of hitting things with swords, you'll want to drop any nodes that say "spell" on them.
3) There is one weapon attack (Lightning Strike) that does lightning damage at range, but based on your melee weapon. It's a good fit for your concept and being at range would ameliorate some of your survivability issues, however Lightning Strike requires some Strength to use. Without any strength passives you'd have to get it all from gear, which would be extremely limiting.
4) You'll never get 110 passive points. Playing through all three difficulties you'll end up with 85-90. Those last 20 levels are quite the grind.
5) Crit nodes aren't very good unless you invest a LOT into them. However, going high crit actually helps with survivability because you can get flasks that refill themselves every time you crit something. Plus the effect for critting with lightning damage is fucking terrifying, so it's something you might consider.
6) You don't have any accuracy bonuses except for what you're getting from your dexterity. However you can offset this somewhat with the "Improved Accuracy" support gem, and if you invest into strength you can use str/dex swords which have an inherent acc bonus and would work fine.

Basically I would rework it into either a glassy crit/energy shield build with dex swords and Dual Strike that gets its lightning from gear, auras, and support skills; or a more balanced build with str/dex swords and Lightning strike to do good damage at range or in melee.

how dis

duooop

I can adjust that further if shock time increases can be slotted out.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: January 29, 2013, 01:16:37 AM

Here's the build I'm going with my Witch, focused mostly on Fireball and Firestorm. Looking for pointers in case I fucked something up.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #221 on: January 29, 2013, 06:44:50 AM

Heh.

So currently my highest level character is the one I completely eschewed defense on and went pure attack.

Ranger with bow.  That's it.

God damn, this game made me remember how much I love hardcore.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: January 29, 2013, 08:53:46 AM

how dis

duooop

I can adjust that further if shock time increases can be slotted out.

gonna need some health just so you don't get one shotted by chaos damage.  Or you could take CI, which is a perfectly reasonable solution to that given your build.  If you want to use your weapons to attack, remember that spell damage doesn't help but +elemental damage does.  Elemental/lightning damage helps both your weapon damage (assuming you are using lightning strike) and your spell damage, so it's the best if you want to cast lightning spells and use weapons.  

Here's my attempt for lightning strike/lightning spell hybrid build with CI:   here.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:57:07 AM by trias_e »
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: January 29, 2013, 09:07:32 AM

Useful links and various tips/thoughts:

Exchange rates of orbs baseline (helpful baseline to make sure you don't get ripped off in trading):  http://www.poeex.info/

PoE vendor recipes:  http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Vendor_Recipes

Due to these recipes, I pick up and keep 20% quality items, all gems (duh), any flask that has +% quality, any magic item that has +% quality, and all rares.  At least if you've bought stash tabs.

Gemcutter Prisms are very valuable.

Also, I pick up anything with 4 links (4L) or better. 
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: January 29, 2013, 10:05:11 AM

I am also back to playing this in small doses, when I can tolerate sitting at the computer. Am actually enjoying the "Duelist" archer I created, but compared to a "Ranger" accuracy is shit. This has led to me gaming magic items to get more accuracy. Really trying to get the teaming and hardcore desire going, and have former EQ/Wow-holic RL friends who were interested with limited time. (Name's Kerplink lol *ok to add me for short gaming sessions as pairs/groups)

The item system is actually what I really like, and combined with the gambling/random aspect to most of them, it actually makes me want to create many characters, with various builds and gears. I already am getting stash space overload, and have like 4 of my returning to around level 9. The item Tetris is strong with this one too (which is my only real gripe).

Saw other hints, and agree/thank everyone for sharing. My hints are: 1. If you're going to use the item system to random some decent gear, try and use "Quality" improved items (example use whetstones to improve a blank weapon with nice gem spots, then use an alchemy orb to turn it into a Rare)....2. Get a suit of Rarity find items, or try and improve/create ones with it (which +quality helps immensely in getting added/multiple rare/useful powers). AND 3. Always check the vendor for weapons, items, and especially jewelry/flasks, you will find great blank and also magic ones there -sometimes super cheap- and this is also a way to game the item system
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:06:52 AM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #225 on: January 29, 2013, 11:36:07 AM

About 1/2 way through Act3, and BOY IT SURE WOULD BE NICE to have some Chaos Resist.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: January 29, 2013, 01:51:07 PM

One of the game's flaws is that the stats that look good at low levels and the stats that are good at high levels are not at all the same, so character builds can be pretty opaque at first. In this light, I feel the need to reiterate how important defensive stats are. To wit, defensive passives generally multiply whatever's on your gear, so every 8% you take is making you 8% more survivable no matter where you are in the game. Offensive stats on gear are more likely to come in additive increases, and all those 5% and 6% nodes are going to start to look pretty puny by the time you're dual-wielding wands with +100% spell damage each.

I'm certainly no build expert, just hoping I can make someone's trip to late-game a little more palatable. For reference, here is my level 47 ranger in late Act 2 Cruel. Sum total offensive stats: 10% attack speed that I pick up because they are on the way to other things. I also lose all my ES by converting it to mana but I use most of that to maintain three different defensive auras. My next pickups are going to be the big 16% Chaos res node, then a bunch more life and probably accuracy. Granted, I'm hardcore and spending a lot of time in melee so most people will be able to get away with less.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 03:02:26 PM by ezrast »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: January 29, 2013, 02:08:00 PM

But defense is no fun :(

I am the .00000001428%
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #228 on: January 29, 2013, 02:12:48 PM

I beg to differ.  My Marauder is going tanky fun.  I Keep hearing Heavy Weapons Guy Voice laughing in my head.  "Which one of you should i hit next?   You?  You!??  Perhaps I eat Sandvich while I decide!"

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #229 on: January 30, 2013, 11:43:56 AM

Minion build attempt may end up being bad.  More info later.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: January 30, 2013, 11:59:09 AM

There are a lot of good things in this game, but I can't get past the skill web.  What a mess of needless complexity and false choices, with tons of builds that are wrong but look right and vice versa.  Complexity isn't the same as depth!  It really seems like the positive aspects of the skill web (build flexibility, a fun choice to make every level, is there something else I'm missing?) could have been accomplished without all the negatives.

Oh yeah, and no respecs.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: January 30, 2013, 06:29:52 PM

I'm doing a full on minion build, and I don't give any fucks about late game survivability. If it sucks so bad I cant stay alive then I will load it up with as much +item rarity i can find and make it a dedicated early game farmer for my alt obsession.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:09 PM

Hot damn, I'm really liking this game.  The business model seems a little naive, especially given they actually have servers to support, but if it works, hey, that's pretty great.  I like having great games for free.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: January 30, 2013, 09:08:36 PM

Hot damn, I'm really liking this game.  The business model seems a little naive, especially given they actually have servers to support, but if it works, hey, that's pretty great.  I like having great games for free.

I'm actually really worried about their business model, I don't want to see them collapse due to lack of income. That's why I bought in at bronze supporter. I'd happily pay a D3 price for this game. They need to churn out more effects/item enhancements especially as they only have witch spells in the store. That dragonling fireball enhancement would look great as a ranger's arrow.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #234 on: January 30, 2013, 09:22:38 PM

I'm doing a full on minion build, and I don't give any fucks about late game survivability. If it sucks so bad I cant stay alive then I will load it up with as much +item rarity i can find and make it a dedicated early game farmer for my alt obsession.

This is what I'm thinking.  Not afraid to roll up a new character after I've learned about things.  Apparently I get 24 characters at a time, which is great.

I'm going to have to give them some money.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: January 30, 2013, 09:51:39 PM

They made $2.5 million in supporter packs and have around 200 diamond supporters ($1,000 each). No idea what the costs are for a small business maintaining servers worldwide, but it seems not bad? Hopefully they can sustain it once they are able to focus more on creating and driving microtransactions and less on finishing the game. I do know gender swaps are one of the most requested features, and will very likely be purchasable in the near future.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: January 30, 2013, 11:23:06 PM

Hopefully they'll add name-changes if they allow you to gender-swap existing characters.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: January 31, 2013, 12:58:09 AM

Just finished Normal on my Witch, level 36. Each Act's end boss seemed easier than the last, but maybe I'm just getting better. Died a TON at the end of Act 1 (almost ran out of Portal scrolls), a few times in Act 2 and killed the Act 3 boss with no deaths. The skill gem system has finally gotten interesting too, now that support gems and multi-socket items are plentiful. I'm using Fireball supported by Added Chaos Damage/Increased Rarity/Increased Quantity, and Firestorm with Chance To Ignite/Increased Duration. I've also got Ice Nova/Added Lightning Damage for when I get surrounded, and Clarity (at level 9 which I think is too high; might buy another one and keep it at 5-6).

Anyone know how gem quality translates to damage? Is 10% quality 10% more damage?

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: January 31, 2013, 01:43:30 AM

Every gem has a different quality bonus. Fireball gets a bonus chance to ignite, Firestorm gets more projectiles, etc. See the wiki for all of them.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: January 31, 2013, 07:16:06 PM

Are there enough people playing this to warrant an item/trade thread?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: January 31, 2013, 08:20:50 PM

Seems to be. I've got a ton of skill gems and a handful of rares I'd be willing to swap.

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: February 01, 2013, 03:47:46 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #242 on: February 01, 2013, 07:09:57 PM

How does friending work, is it by character or account?  We can put names in the trade thread, I suppose.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: February 01, 2013, 08:42:15 PM

You can add someone with either their character name or account name, which adds their entire account. I guess I'll go ahead and start the trade thread since no one else has.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:15 PM

Anyone make an F13 member list for this game yet?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: