Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:12:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Path of Exile  (Read 453670 times)
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: August 02, 2012, 02:02:34 PM

but my melee guy felt just...off. My cleave skill would miss enemies right in my face and hit enemies that were pretty clearly out of its range, planting with shift and trying to normal attack enemies usually resulted in 90% miss rates for some reason, I shield charged through geometry sometimes, etc.
I don't know if these gripes were really related to the game as much as to the Stress Test, because the only one of those I've ever had happen that wasn't lag related was the Cleave hitting enemies that were out of range.

That and the armor is all clownsuit shit so far, and the environments while I'm sure achieving the "Shithole Medieval Fantasy Prison Colony" motif in their eyes all looked a lot a like with vaguely differing levels of vegetation.
How far exactly did you get? This doesn't sound like you actually got that far, because the levels are anything but look alike, especially once you leave Act 1. The armors looking "clownsuit" also has me wondering whether we were playing the same game, because I actually think the different models look pretty good, and had no garish colors or disturbing looks from my perspective.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: August 02, 2012, 05:56:24 PM

Better to have a game with good mechanics that is in need of polish than a polished game with bad mechanics I guess. I'm hopeful that the PoE guys can fix the game's issues, which feel mostly cosmetic, before it launches.

Mostly cosmetic except for the horrible animation system where you have to wait until your char stops performing the last animation to do anything. That's what gives combat it's horrible janky feeling and apparently the devs have claimed it's an engine limitation so difficult to fix. I play a duelist who uses a spell that teleports me to the enemy, (sort of like the shield charge which also suffers) except if my char is in the middle of the walking animation then it ignores my keypress. Horribly annoying. Didn't notice this limitation playing my witch but it sucks ass horribly for melee.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: August 03, 2012, 05:56:42 AM

Yeah, i love everything i read about this game but every time i try to play it i get frustrated and quit.

I am the .00000001428%
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #143 on: August 03, 2012, 06:12:22 AM

but my melee guy felt just...off. My cleave skill would miss enemies right in my face and hit enemies that were pretty clearly out of its range, planting with shift and trying to normal attack enemies usually resulted in 90% miss rates for some reason, I shield charged through geometry sometimes, etc.
I don't know if these gripes were really related to the game as much as to the Stress Test, because the only one of those I've ever had happen that wasn't lag related was the Cleave hitting enemies that were out of range.

That and the armor is all clownsuit shit so far, and the environments while I'm sure achieving the "Shithole Medieval Fantasy Prison Colony" motif in their eyes all looked a lot a like with vaguely differing levels of vegetation.
How far exactly did you get? This doesn't sound like you actually got that far, because the levels are anything but look alike, especially once you leave Act 1. The armors looking "clownsuit" also has me wondering whether we were playing the same game, because I actually think the different models look pretty good, and had no garish colors or disturbing looks from my perspective.
I was into act 2 by the time the weekend ended. Still muddy dingy-ass outdoor areas only now there's some trees and a bit more grass. Not many of the environments looked different outside of a couple specific ones (the cliffside was kinda nice).

And the armor looked bad IMO; I tried to see if I could coordinate a look for the hell of it at the end of the beta even using lower level items than I should have and nada. I think this might go away at high levels though since I saw high level players who looked a lot less silly.

I mean, it makes sense from the perspective of the game though. You're a fucking castaway on a hellish medieval penal colony island that is home to a collapsed civilization. All the stuff looks appropriately scavenged.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: September 25, 2012, 04:38:29 AM

I played the open Beta and ponied up 10 dollars to move into closed.

This. Game. Is. Amazing.

I haven't been this into a game since Diablo 2 (and this game is incredibly similar to Diablo 2).  I love the skill tree and build variety.  A few minor nits, but this is going to keep me busy for month. They out diablo'ed diablo.  This thread really doesn't belong on MMOG though, it should probably be on the PC forums.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #145 on: October 04, 2012, 05:41:52 AM

This looks as if it might be fun but I'd be willing to give it a go but I'm confused as to why I can't be a female thief.  I'm almost very nearly always a thief and I'm absolutely never ever a man, except in games like Borderlands which also annoys me though I loved the game.  Also, is the game okay without buying shop items ever?  Are they just cosmetic or things like character slots, server changes, inventory space, etc?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: October 04, 2012, 07:33:44 AM

Disclaimer: I haven't logged in in a long time (the game is great; there's just too much other good stuff to play right now) so any of this may have changed.

The microtrans is character slots and inventory space at least but honestly you start with a ton of each; I never ran out of either and I think I had like 15 characters. They've also said they'll never sell direct power increases like items and such.

Unless the passive tree revamps have made it way more restrictive, you should be able to build a perfectly thiefy type character out of a ranger or even a witch, depending on what "thief" means to you.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #147 on: October 04, 2012, 08:41:12 AM

Yeah, I just made a witch and a ranger (which is always my second fav character) and looked at the skills and it'll be a piece of piss to make a thief out of either of them, especially the ranger.  I probably won't spend a lot of time in it either at the moment since I have Torchlight 2 and Guild Wars 2 for rpgs.  Just thought I'd give it a look see.  Looksie?  Evs. 

Sigh.  I'm having a confused day today.   swamp poop

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: October 05, 2012, 05:33:48 AM

Yeah, I just made a witch and a ranger (which is always my second fav character) and looked at the skills and it'll be a piece of piss to make a thief out of either of them, especially the ranger. 

Exactly. The skilldrassil is very flexible and many people have made melee witches and other odd classes. The skill layout is done well enough that it's not a huge stretch to veer into other territory and experiment a bit.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #149 on: October 05, 2012, 11:18:20 AM

It's pretty good fun, in that sort of mindless DB3/Torchlight way where you don't have to think too hard or fiddle with things too much.  The things that sort of frustrate me a bit is my wobbly connection to the Euro server and targeting.  I mostly run around in silly circles when I'm killing stuff.  I get embarrassed for me.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: October 05, 2012, 10:50:09 PM

It's pretty good fun, in that sort of mindless DB3/Torchlight way where you don't have to think too hard or fiddle with things too much.  The things that sort of frustrate me a bit is my wobbly connection to the Euro server and targeting.  I mostly run around in silly circles when I'm killing stuff.  I get embarrassed for me.

One pointer. Don't invest in avoidance. It's underpowered. Armor or Energy shield are the only sensible choices atm.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #151 on: October 06, 2012, 02:02:37 AM

Thanks!  

By the way, what is corpse targeting for?  There's nothing in them, I can't eat them or wear their bits... it seems useless although somewhat satisfyingly creepy.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:04:51 AM by Signe »

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: October 07, 2012, 12:55:00 AM

Thanks!  

By the way, what is corpse targeting for?  There's nothing in them, I can't eat them or wear their bits... it seems useless although somewhat satisfyingly creepy.

There's a spell that you can raise specific corpses with. Raise Specter.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:29 PM

Just getting back into this after a few months off playing guild wars 2. New patch has added some pretty cool stuff. Is anyone else still playing this? My friends list has been empty for weeks.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: December 21, 2012, 01:31:30 PM

Did it ever actually release? I played it a bit in beta and loved it, but wanted to wait for a proper release so as not to risk having characters wiped.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: December 21, 2012, 02:49:55 PM

I think it still says beta last i played a couple weeks ago. 

I am the .00000001428%
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: December 21, 2012, 05:09:41 PM

It's going into open beta jan 28 I believe. It will be like world of tanks in that there will be no difference or wipe between open beta and release.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: December 21, 2012, 05:54:04 PM

Will there be a wipe before open beta? because i was going to start playing again but i'll just wait the month if i would be wasting my time.

I am the .00000001428%
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: December 21, 2012, 07:26:48 PM

The final character wipe will happen at open beta launch, yes.

I've been going through spurts where I play religiously and then stopping altogether. I'll probably be back into on mode when OB rolls around.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: December 22, 2012, 10:01:24 AM

I love the game, but am waiting for the final wipe to fresh.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: December 22, 2012, 09:28:23 PM

It's going into open beta jan 28 I believe. It will be like world of tanks in that there will be no difference or wipe between open beta and release.

Good to know; I'll fire it back up then.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: January 16, 2013, 08:32:03 AM

New trailer for open beta:  http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/eehtnb/path-of-exile-exclusive-open-beta-trailer

Gotta say that I love this game.  Recently got a dual claw shadow up to level 55, which probably isn't the best build but still lots of fun.  Really looking forward to the end of character wipes and act 3. 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #162 on: January 16, 2013, 08:34:09 AM

So everyone is saying that Torchwood 2 is better than Diablo 3, and I still have to figure out why exactly. How would you say this fares, compared to those two? And I am not talking about the visual style.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: January 16, 2013, 08:53:29 AM

I wasn't a big Torchlight 2 or Diablo 3 fan.  Both Diablo 3 and TL2 aimed for a streamlined experience for the player.  Simplicity was favored over complexity for the sake of a smooth gameplay experience in D3.  But even in TL2 there isn't much going on in the way of interesting systems.  If you want classes that were designed to play a certain way, and polished over and over with that in mind play Diablo 3.  If you want a slightly looser but, honestly, probably dumber version of this play TL2.

PoE says screw that.  Complexity is embraced, and the game forces you to think about it in order to play it successfully.  The passive skill tree is of course a big example of this.  But the game features other interacting systems:  Skill gems which socket into armor (armor which has random sockets which are alterable through items), Uniques which enable builds, an economy based on 'currency items' which are useful in and of themselves in altering items. 

The gameplay is basically what you want it to be.  It depends entirely on your build.  That said, it won't be as polished or as smooth as D3, and it will take a bit of getting used to after coming from other games.  The first few levels will make you wonder why anyone plays this game, but it gets exponentially more interesting as you develop your character, which is certainly not something I'd say of D3 or TL2. 

PoE has a different goal than TL2 or D3.  Yes, it has the same focus on loot and randomness.  But it envelops that core in a web of systems that makes the game a playground for anyone that likes playing within such a structure.  A perfect example of this is white (non-magic) items.  In other games, these are absolutely useless.  In PoE, when I see a white claw drop (not a magic item) with a quality level +10% and the 'right' socket structure for my build, I get really happy.  I know I can spend some items that I've saved up to make that sucker into a magic or rare item, to raise the quality higher, and to build a new upgrade for myself.  And different players with different builds will have this same experience with different types of items, and it's all within a space that the player has created him or herself, not something that has been made on rails for them.

TLDR:  I like it because it has fun interacting systems and doesn't baby the player.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: January 16, 2013, 09:08:56 AM

Kripparrian gave up Diablo 3 and WoW for it, so I was curious. Thanks for the explanation, it's very informative.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: January 16, 2013, 02:13:27 PM

The only negative I can say about PoE is that you can't interupt annimations, other than quaffing potions. Everything else has to wait for the previous animation to finish, which makes it feel a bit jerky imo. There is a teleport to the enemy skill for example which won't work until your character has finished the run cycle animation plus the game doesn't appear to buffer keystrokes either.
Strangely dispite that, and owning d3 and t2 I still play PoE when I'm in the mood for a arpg.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: January 17, 2013, 07:43:24 AM

This game is pretty amazing if you ask me. My only complaint that combat isn't as smooth as D3/TL.  Everything else from the gems, to the talents to character design and gear is done perfectly. 
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: January 17, 2013, 07:13:47 PM

The only thing stopping this game from completely dominating my time is the final wipe. Soon as the characters are permanent I am back into this with the zeal of an addict.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #168 on: January 22, 2013, 12:20:21 PM

I have two one spare closed beta key if anyone wants to check it out before open beta opens tomorrow (at 3pm CST - 10pm CET, I think), or, you know...just in case it gets delayed for whatever reason :P. PM me (first come, first served basis)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:35:48 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: January 22, 2013, 12:30:09 PM

I'd love one, if still available.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: January 22, 2013, 01:05:28 PM

The Lead Designer and Producer of PoE just posted this news item, detailing what will happen tomorrow:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/70299

At the time of writing, there are 24 hours to go until we enter Open Beta. This post briefly explains how that transition works and what to expect. Please click through to read the whole post.

The countdown timer on the game login screen and on the website news page is counting down towards the time when the deploy will be finished and the game will be playable. It is not counting down towards the start of downtime.

We will bring the game servers down for deployment of the 0.10.0 patch two hours before the start of Open Beta. The website may be down for approximately 10-20 minutes while we perform database migrations. At this point, access to the game servers will be disabled until the countdown hits zero and the patch will be available to download. Just run your existing Closed Beta client to update to the open beta version. We're sorry that this doesn't give much time to download the 1.5gb or so, but we'd rather have some people playing than leave the servers off while giving people on slow internet connections a chance to patch fully.

Once you're patched, if you try to log in, you'll be put in a queue. At the point the servers open, you should then be logged in.

All characters will be reverted to level 1 and moved to new Default and Hardcore leagues. Their items will be destroyed, other than Demigod's Presences and pets. This is the final wipe the game will ever have.

Note that due to a bug in the current version of Beta where it's possible to create more characters on your account than you are allowed, any additional characters over your allowance (which defaults to 24 unless you purchase more) will be deleted. If you are over this limit and have special names that you want to keep, you should manually delete characters to get under the limit. If you are truly paranoid, please move your Demigod's Presences to your stash so that they're not accidentally stored on characters that are deleted.

There will be a further news post today with full Patch Notes, explanations of our reasoning behind balance changes and information on how the new cosmetic microtransactions work.

Traffic to the site has been absolutely insane over the last few days. We've been aggressively ordering more servers, but it's quite possible that we'll have long queues and general server unstability on launch day. We may be operating under player load levels far above what we've tested to. Needless to say, there are a team of dedicated people here who will try to make sure you have the best possible experience.

Kiwi packs become unavailable two hours before the countdown hits zero (i.e. when the servers go down). If you want to upgrade yours while it's still possible, you should consider doing that as soon as possible. Thanks again for your continued support!

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: January 22, 2013, 03:00:43 PM

I've been playing this for a week now. My only gripes are not being able to choose gender on creation and a lacklustre start to the game. Once it gets going it's great. It's actually the reverse of Diablo 3 where the levelling to the Skeleton King are great... and that's it. I do think D3 has the edge in combat "feel" but certainly not in the game as a whole.

Just realised that I haven't checked to see if you can have surnames on characters - I hate it when my choice is taken.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: January 22, 2013, 03:54:30 PM

Was very interested until I heard there are no respecs.  Fuck being locked into bad choices you made while learning the game or post nerfs.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: January 22, 2013, 04:41:21 PM

Was very interested until I heard there are no respecs.  Fuck being locked into bad choices you made while learning the game or post nerfs.

Yep, unless they are going to unveil full respec during open beta or later, for now we only have these:

http://templeofexiles.com/recipes/currency/orb-of-regret

1 orb = 1 skill point respec ; guess they'll become quite valuable :P

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: January 22, 2013, 09:21:29 PM

Was very interested until I heard there are no respecs.  Fuck being locked into bad choices you made while learning the game or post nerfs.

First of all, they refund all your points if they make significant changes to the passive tree.

Second, by the time I was level 50 (not too far) I had used about 15 refund points from quest rewards and orbs of regret (that I came about naturally while playing the game).  So as long as your build isn't absolutely horrible, it's fairly easy to correct small mistakes.  No, you won't be able to totally change your character at a whim, but you aren't locked into every point you've spent. 

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:23:13 PM by trias_e »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Path of Exile  
Jump to: