Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:27:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Item Modifying and You: End-Game Gear Change 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Item Modifying and You: End-Game Gear Change  (Read 57916 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #140 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:24 AM

I assume it mimics WoW why so serious?

..."Of B.C. Era."

Because I'll put money down that it doesn't mimic the current per-boss lockout scheme or the WOTLK addition of rolling-over a lockout to continue it the next week.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #141 on: December 07, 2011, 09:20:36 AM

Dunno... even LoTRO had the per-boss locks like year+ ago iirc? So it's not that impossible they'd have them too.

Of course, LoTRO also had the appearance tab, so...
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: December 07, 2011, 09:24:32 AM

I do not understand the thought process with this raid level loot.  Instead of fixing the distribution at end game they have to change an unbroken system?  

Here are a couple of ideas.  Have the gear drop with no mods and distribute the various mods through end bosses to ensure your content is consumed.  Have the gear come with some small static bonus (and full available mod slots) to entice players into wearing your ass ugly endgame stuff.  
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #143 on: December 07, 2011, 09:26:46 AM

How would you feel if the drummer were doing that in the middle of a practice session or gig?  why so serious?
Guess why I don't play in a band anymore, and now play solo classical guitar with the occasional PUG for a half-hour blues set at an open mic?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS I can do this all day!  why so serious?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #144 on: December 07, 2011, 09:37:33 AM

Ah so you're the problem then.  Get some ADD meds!  Heart

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #145 on: December 07, 2011, 09:38:33 AM

I am getting a shipment of Spice at some point in the game even if it kills me.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: December 07, 2011, 09:40:50 AM

I assume it mimics WoW why so serious?

Which does what?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: December 07, 2011, 09:40:58 AM

You can, kind of.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: December 07, 2011, 09:42:49 AM

How would you feel if the drummer were doing that in the middle of a practice session or gig?  why so serious?
Guess why I don't play in a band anymore, and now play solo classical guitar with the occasional PUG for a half-hour blues set at an open mic?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS I can do this all day!  why so serious?

You were in a band where the drummer would arbitrarily stop to eat wings? I mean, sure, drummers... but even so...

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: December 07, 2011, 09:48:26 AM

Which does what?
http://www.wowpedia.org/Raid_lockout

tl;dr: if you kill a foozle and leave the dungeon, the foozle stays dead when you return until the dungeon resets which happens every X days. You aren't forced to re-visit with the exact same group.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #150 on: December 07, 2011, 09:51:30 AM

You can, kind of.

Spice is illegal, therefore you would need to get it smuggled.

Wait a minute. Are you sort of suggesting that a Smuggler in this game actually gets to smuggle something?!? In a Star Wars game?  ACK!

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #151 on: December 07, 2011, 09:52:41 AM

Which does what?

tl;dr: if you kill a foozle and leave the dungeon, the foozle stays dead when you return until the dungeon resets which happens every X days. You aren't forced to re-visit with the exact same group.
Well, it's a little more complex than that but that's good shorthand.

To answer the next question:  Which bosses are dead or not was determined by the raid leader.  

We're also assuming that they've gone ahead and fixed the Raid-ID-Theft exploit that Vanilla WoW had, allowing said exploiters to kill end-level bosses more than once per lockout period.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: December 07, 2011, 09:53:18 AM

Because I'll put money down that it doesn't mimic the current per-boss lockout scheme or the WOTLK addition of rolling-over a lockout to continue it the next week.

They have said at least that you can join another raid instance if it has all the bosses you've killed down already.    No idea if it has WoW's crappy restriction to normal mode on that idea.   Trying to find where I read that but this was in the current patch notes:

- The Operations lockout window now displays the current boss lockouts for your group members.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:58:30 AM by Amaron »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: December 07, 2011, 10:05:50 AM

Which does what?

Well, it's a little more complex than that but that's good shorthand.

To answer the next question:  Which bosses are dead or not was determined by the raid leader.  

We're also assuming that they've gone ahead and fixed the Raid-ID-Theft exploit that Vanilla WoW had, allowing said exploiters to kill end-level bosses more than once per lockout period.

Why would it not reset everything once the last boss is dead regardless?

Not that I would want to go there, but I gather mindless repetition gives some people a hard-on?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #154 on: December 07, 2011, 10:09:15 AM

Because DIKU endgame is all about gating the content so your hardcore don't totally burn themselves out AND so they don't blow through and gear up in the most elite gear within a week (if not a few days) then whine that there's nothing else to do.   They're too stupid to pace themselves so the devs have to.

As always, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and people with that kind of time to burn can be very vocal in very embarrassing ways.   Surely you've witnessed the same in EvE.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: December 07, 2011, 10:34:11 AM

Not that I would want to go there, but I gather mindless repetition gives some people a hard-on?
Well, "mindless repetition" is at the MMO core, so... yes. Yes it does.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #156 on: December 07, 2011, 10:48:13 AM

As for armor animation; I haven't messed with many of the Jedi/Sith robes, but for some reason a nice chestpiece I picked up for my trooper during the beta gave him an ass-skirt for some reason. It was either really well animated or physically simulated because it definitely didn't do that weird "transforming tube" thing someone mentioned that like 90% of games with robes/etc do.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: December 07, 2011, 10:50:12 AM

Surely you've witnessed the same in EvE.

The people in eve who want to mindlessly repeat missions/mining/whatever do so and we just let them get on with it.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: December 07, 2011, 10:56:00 AM

There is plenty of things you can do on a repeated basis.  However Hardmode flashpoints and operations have limits to them so you can artificially throttle character progression.  If you follow the standard DIKU model of the last 7+ years, then raids are your major content item.  You want them to last the average raider months and not weeks.

The only EVE analogy that I can think of is if players were allowed to research, gain skill, gather and build a top end POS or Ship in the space of a few weeks.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:58:28 AM by Draegan »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:37 AM

The only time enforced limitation in there is skill gain, and only if you choose to gain skill by training a character rather than buying one.

If you wanted to poopsock the market instead, nothing stops you.

I'm not pretending to understand the mind of a dikumud raider so I'm not saying you are wrong (except in the EVE analogy) - just that raiders are strange people.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: December 07, 2011, 11:11:15 AM

As for armor animation; I haven't messed with many of the Jedi/Sith robes, but for some reason a nice chestpiece I picked up for my trooper during the beta gave him an ass-skirt for some reason. It was either really well animated or physically simulated because it definitely didn't do that weird "transforming tube" thing someone mentioned that like 90% of games with robes/etc do.

From the videos it seems everything except the long skirts animates well enough.

Terrible skirt animation:

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes/sith-inquisitor
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/sith-inquisitor

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: December 07, 2011, 11:16:23 AM

for some reason a nice chestpiece I picked up for my trooper during the beta gave him an ass-skirt for some reason. It was either really well animated or physically simulated because it definitely didn't do that weird "transforming tube" thing someone mentioned that like 90% of games with robes/etc do.
The ass skirts definitely feel like cloth simulation, even on the robes. They're the one part that looks right to me. (and also contributes to the swamp poop for the tube parts, by contrast)

edit: That said, the inquisitor is so campy that dress actually fits her, somehow, and adds to the effect.

Unlimited.. power! DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:21:28 AM by tmp »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #162 on: December 07, 2011, 11:22:47 AM

I'm not pretending to understand the mind of a dikumud raider so I'm not saying you are wrong (except in the EVE analogy) - just that raiders are strange people.

They don't understand sitting around at a gatecamp shooting POSes for hours any more than you understand raiding, so it's a mutual view you hold of the "other."

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: December 07, 2011, 11:27:50 AM

The only time enforced limitation in there is skill gain, and only if you choose to gain skill by training a character rather than buying one.

If you wanted to poopsock the market instead, nothing stops you.

Doesn't it take a long time to build a Titan or whatever the biggest ships are?  Doesn't it take years or someshit to be able to fly one adequately?  Same thing here.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: December 07, 2011, 11:28:06 AM

The people in eve who want to mindlessly repeat missions/mining/whatever do so and we just let them get on with it.

The deadspace complexes don't reset as soon as you kill the final target, do they? Could swear they didn't when i played but that was quite few years back.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #165 on: December 07, 2011, 11:29:13 AM

I'm not sure EVE even has an equivalent to raiding, just an equivalent to dungeons. (Which are not on the long lockouts described.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: December 07, 2011, 11:31:31 AM

The lockouts were shorter, but it's combined with no instancing, meaning you compete with rest of the playerbase for the access. Imagine it was the weekly lockout and that only one person/group was allowed to do that content per week...

(why yes, some MMOs did try that, too  why so serious?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:33:27 AM by tmp »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: December 07, 2011, 11:35:08 AM

I'm not sure EVE even has an equivalent to raiding, just an equivalent to dungeons. (Which are not on the long lockouts described.)

The closest would probably be wormholes, you go into uncharted space with a bunch of ships, put up a POS, and stay as long as you like with group only PvE/mining all around.

Oh and surprise PvP if anyone ever finds you and probes you out.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: December 07, 2011, 12:12:16 PM

The closest would probably be wormholes, you go into uncharted space with a bunch of ships, put up a POS, and stay as long as you like with group only PvE/mining all around.

Oh and surprise PvP if anyone ever finds you and probes you out.

What about Incursions?

Over and out.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: December 07, 2011, 12:18:02 PM

Incursions start with instances that take 6 minutes each. Once enough of them are dead another instance that takes about 20 minutes spawns, following which everyone goes home for tea and medals.

Incursions are PQs.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: December 07, 2011, 12:19:04 PM

Talking of which, I assume SWTOR doesn't have PQs?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: December 07, 2011, 12:19:27 PM

Incursions start with instances that take 6 minutes each. Once enough of them are dead another instance that takes about 20 minutes spawns, following which everyone goes home for tea and medals.

Incursions are PQs.

*blinks* Incursions?  Why have I not heard this discussed before?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #172 on: December 07, 2011, 12:25:36 PM

Talking of which, I assume SWTOR doesn't have PQs?

Sadly, no.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: December 07, 2011, 12:26:53 PM

The deadspace complexes don't reset as soon as you kill the final target, do they? Could swear they didn't when i played but that was quite few years back.

They reset pretty quickly, but could appear anywhere in the constellation. Part of the thing with deadspace pockets is finding them in a prober.

They also have more in common with an EQ LDoN style dungeon than an actual raid.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: December 09, 2011, 02:21:22 PM

And here's what they have to say about match color to chest:

Few of our systems seem to have generated as much passion as our 'Unify Color to Chest Piece' system. So, I'd like to shed a bit of light onto exactly what this system is, what happened to it and what is in store for it in the future.

Pretty much from the start of the project, one of our goals was to solve the 'mismatched color' issue that exists in many MMORPGs. This initiative has actually been driven directly by James Ohlen, our Game Director, as this is an issue close to his heart.

Now, it is useful to understand that when artists create a new piece of armor, they always create it as part of a set. A certain pair of pants, for example, is thematically meant to go with a specific chest armor, gloves, boots, bracers and helmet. If the players always put on full sets, they would look very good indeed and the colors from the different pieces would complement each other. Of course, at any given level, players have access to many such sets and wear bits and pieces from multiple sources. Now, in Star Wars: The Old Republic, we have created sets that, in many cases, are quite compatible with each other. You'll notice that, for example, Jedi Knight outfits use a lot of earthy colors that work quite well together regardless of which set they come from. Unfortunately, this is not always true – the Trooper is a good example of a class that does not look its best with mismatched pieces.

To solve this we created an option called 'Unify color to chest piece', which we also called 'Color Match'. Once turned on, the option automatically matched the color of any equipped piece of armor to the color scheme of the chest piece. This option was very popular with our testers and did solve the color clash problem, but not without introducing some issues.

While we have a policy not to give details on a system in progress, I do want to talk a little about the worst design issue we encountered with this system. As implemented, Color Match had a subtle but ultimately perverse effect: from the moment it was turned on, the player would perceive far less diversity in their loot. In some cases, to be honest, there are only so many differences we can create between two pairs of boots apart from their color scheme. Take away their color differences - thanks to the Color Match system - and you are left with a game that feels a bit less rewarding; where, sometimes, putting on your exciting new gear barely changes the appearance of the character. Depending on your personal preferences and your play style, this may or may not seem like much... but an MMO is a complex system of challenges and rewards and, as designers, we must stay vigilant in that regard.

So, anyway, the good news is that we are not only committed to solving the color clashing problem, we want to actually improve on the Color Matching system players experienced during Game Testing.

The bad news is... well, this won't be in for launch. The system we are currently working on isn't quite done yet and has many dependencies. After taking a hard look, we decided it would be preferable to keep Color Matching turned off for launch rather than try to do a potentially messy post-launch conversion. If anything, the live changes we made during testing to other systems (like the cover system or the item modification system) have shown us how confusing switching things under people's noses can be.

This wasn't exactly an easy decision – we know how popular the feature is and how eager and vocal the community has been for its return. So, I humbly ask for your patience. The feature (or, to be exact, something I consider a better version of the feature) will return. The next time you find a particularly bad combination of armor pieces, take some screenshots - and hopefully in a few months (as always, no deadline is guaranteed), you’ll be able to tell new players "Back in my day, we had to wear those orange pants with purple boots! Uphill! Both ways! In the snow!"

As always, I’m very interested in hearing from you... I have (so far) managed to read every single post on the Item Modification system and will hopefully be able to post a follow up clarifying many of the concerns and questions that you have.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Item Modifying and You: End-Game Gear Change  
Jump to: