Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Update 5 with ..... wait for it... LFG! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update 5 with ..... wait for it... LFG!  (Read 23808 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: November 15, 2011, 02:12:27 PM

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/14/instance-finder-coming-to-lotro-in-update-5

When Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard launched, it did so with the understanding that it wasn't quite completed. The expansion had no new instanced content apart from a 24-person raid, and Turbine promised that this would be rectified by the end of the year. Enter the redemption of Update 5, where a new instance cluster will be introducing five additional dungeons into the game. These instances include a walk through Fangorn Forest and a personal encounter with Saruman.

Ten Ton Hammer got a chance to talk with the devs about Update 5 and discovered a few previously unreleased details. The biggest of these is word of an instance finder feature -- AKA a "dungeon finder" -- that is similar to those found in World of Warcraft and RIFT. Through the instance finder, players will be able to queue up for level-appropriate runs and be matched up with other eager adventurers.

Update 5 will also include the next book of the epic storyline titled The Prince of Rohan in which players will part with the Grey Company for new vistas.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:56:14 PM

Will it be cross-server? I play on a low-pop server (Silverlode), and there's barely any people around in the 'who' list; maybe one other person my level and a couple 75s.

Regardless, good news. Maybe I'll finally get to see some of those dungeons now - so far the only ones I've seen were old GB, old GA, fornost (ugh), and grand stairs (at 60). I also assume this will work with skirmishes?

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:03:11 AM

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:38:00 PM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:05:48 PM

not really worths its own thread, but as there are a lot of changes which can be seen here:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?431112-Update-5-Armies-of-Isengard-Release-Notes-Bullroarer-Only-(B1)

some interesting PVP changes:

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:29:11 AM

Apparently this went live today?

Isn't this the first time they've actually had any sort of dungeon finding system? That was the most frustrating thing to me about LOTRO. They had these absolutely incredible group instances and were dumbing them down to solo because, in my opinion, there were no tools to find groups, not even a global lfg.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:47:46 PM

It is live. Have not done a dungeon quite yet.

The book is amazingly short. Not bad, but... short. Jesus it's fucking short.

I don't know what's going on over there.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 04:22:54 PM

It is live. Have not done a dungeon quite yet.

The book is amazingly short. Not bad, but... short. Jesus it's fucking short.

I don't know what's going on over there.

Best.  Update. EVER.

LOTS towards Quality of life.  I logged in to find I had completed my epic class quests- they updated them and removed the insane cock block.  Then hit up the skirm vendors - the prices are much, much, much more equitable.  Same with the armor vendors in Galtrev (near rep dudes).  Wow, I can get some of that fancy teal stuff now???  And without the poop sock raid stuff?

Then I grabbed a horse and hit up the camp south of Galtrev- and BAM.  You can now finish the nifty whatyamacallit quest.  The one where if you completed the final step there was no going back, thx for playing reroll and try again.

Would love to see Worn Seals for sale on skirm vendors.  This, right now, is my only gripe.  I REALLY do not want to work on a 75 LI weapon only to replace it after all that investment (going from third age to second age).  I cannot wait to fire up the LFG tool- unfortunately going out of town and will not have time until Thursday at the earliest.   Heartbreak

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 05:12:57 PM

So three mans. The claim seems to be that you need a tank OR a healer, not both. I don't actually feel like that's the case.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 05:15:25 PM

Am I reading things right or as a former sub the gold cap and bags are waived, so I just need to buy content packs?

(Maybe this is obvious, but after the poison pills of EQ2 and COX I just can't imagine it's actually possible to play for free.)

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 05:16:26 PM

DDO/LOTRO are definitely a bit friendlier on the free players than the other ones out there IMO, although you'll still run into annoying things.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 05:32:27 PM

Am I reading things right or as a former sub the gold cap and bags are waived, so I just need to buy content packs?

(Maybe this is obvious, but after the poison pills of EQ2 and COX I just can't imagine it's actually possible to play for free.)

Yes.  And, depending on your initial purchase, you may already have a bunch of this content.  RoME has had a couple people play for free and not spend a single cent.

Though they did grind to open everything.  A lot.  Grind.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 08:06:06 PM

Reputation items are now edible!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 07:55:52 AM

I'm really in shock at how playable the game is free. They apparently relented at some point on the swift travel stuff and now if you ever subbed, you get it free forever on all the characters (the same is true for backpacks, traits, and the gold limit) that were played while you were VIP. And I owe it all to my irritation at EQ2's F2P model or I'd never have checked out others!

The Instance Finder really needs to have a system to do specific runs, not just random, along with a few other tweaks.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 12:01:36 PM

I'm really in shock at how playable the game is free. They apparently relented at some point on the swift travel stuff and now if you ever subbed, you get it free forever on all the characters (the same is true for backpacks, traits, and the gold limit) that were played while you were VIP. And I owe it all to my irritation at EQ2's F2P model or I'd never have checked out others!

The Instance Finder really needs to have a system to do specific runs, not just random, along with a few other tweaks.

The dev journal on the Instance Finder said that functionality would be coming next patch.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 08:04:00 PM

Might as well wait then. 

I heard from a buddy some LotRO devs did an interview promising more content?  Like monthly releases?  any hear that?

Have to wonder -- WTF are they working on, since the last "expansion" and releases have been so light.  They're going to lose a lot with SWTOR.  They should've been shovelling stuff for months leading up to Dec.  I mean, if they replace furniture hooks with SWG style decoration, MONEY.HATS. 
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 05:51:33 AM

So, like, LFF Tool is only useful if people use it.  Which they are not.

Tried joining groups on both my Burg and Guard - nada.  /LFF is still alive and well, though!   Heartbreak

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 07:31:36 AM

I'm not sure with as old as their engine is whether screwing with housing at all is worth the risk. If they break house decor it will be a shitstorm.
Perhaps they think the f2p crowd won't leave for SWTOR and are simply soldiering on with their 'just enough content to level (almost)' ideas.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 09:11:34 AM

I found an instance group in about ten minutes on my 50 minstrel. Someone's using it.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 11:05:26 AM

I found an instance group in about ten minutes on my 50 minstrel. Someone's using it.

I imagine healer will have an easier time getting a group.  Was this during primetime?

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 12:23:10 PM

It was during primetime. I don't think it's just healers because we had a second minstrel who was queued as dps/heal and assigned dps.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 10:56:27 AM

OK Changed paramaters to 3 man instead of 6 man and have had good success.  I like it!

edit.  OK, liking the tool more and more.  Great for grabbing a quick 3 man skirm or instance.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:43:47 PM by Cheddar »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17:07 AM

Having the most awesome fellowship-finder in the world isn't going to increase my tolerance for other people.  I'll consider joining some PUG to get past something but the fewer strangers the better.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 07:10:28 AM

Update 5.1 is up. Patch notes are here.

In the realm of "best fix for something that I didn't notice aggravating me:"

You will now be automatically dismounted if you try to collect a crafting resource node while mounted.

EDIT: And here are the Known Issues.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 08:36:16 AM

That's really funny because I was playing yesterday for the first time since I gave up on SWTOR and thought, "Jesus FUCKING Christ, why won't tapping a node dismount me?!?!? WHYYYYY!?!?"
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 09:20:04 AM

This used to annoy me greatly, but I've developed an automatic habit of dismounting as I get close to them.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 03:01:40 PM

Damn I like that. 

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 05:11:11 PM

How does this work?   You flag the specific instance you want, your role, and press the "join" on the first tab?  Im confused since it seems to launch a group instance otherwise.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 05:58:31 PM

Yeah, it works similar to dungeon finders in wow/eq2/rift/coh - you select your role, (optionally) select specific instances to queue for, then hit the queue button and wait. When the queue 'pops', you get a pop-up window and if everyone accepts, the group is formed and automatically ported to the dungeon.

Unfortunately it's not cross-server, and LFD groups are basically nonexistent on my server (Silverlode) -- I was in queue for 3-4 hours at a time as support/heal/damage (captain) with all relevant instances+skirmishes around my level unlocked, no dice. Oh well!

edit: actually, I have a question related to this -- has anyone levelled up a character purely through instance finder from level 20 onwards on a more populated server such as Brandywine? Alternate levelling paths have always interested me in games, and e.g. in WOW I have a character who levelled 100% via LFD, another who levelled 100% through xp from pvp, etc.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:07:41 AM by Zetor »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 07:14:06 AM

No, that sounds horrible.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Update 5 with ..... wait for it... LFG!  
Jump to: