Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:38:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: [EVE Online] Bat Country Recruitment Thread 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [EVE Online] Bat Country Recruitment Thread 2012  (Read 58201 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: January 16, 2012, 06:02:30 PM

Shit, they found out the real reason I quit!  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 16, 2012, 11:43:00 PM

<--- still confused

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: January 17, 2012, 06:43:36 AM

Come play and find out (my spacelord).
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #108 on: January 17, 2012, 06:53:28 PM

So today, I turned on the Youtube Beatles mix, which eventually brought along "Let it Be". Bitter vets will recognize that listening to that song inevitably leads to listening to "Little Bees". There is no way in hell I will be resubbing, but I did have a good long nostalgia-soaked think about it.

For anyone who hasn't tried it, though, I endorse this product and/or service wholeheartedly.

Witty banter not included.
Junkogen
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: September 19, 2013, 03:21:30 PM

Do you guys still recruit?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:05:06 PM by Junkogen »
schild
Administrator

Reply #110 on: September 19, 2013, 11:15:51 PM

Well that's a bump. >_>
Junkogen
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: September 20, 2013, 06:03:34 AM

Well that's a bump. >_>

Don't worry.  It's not cancer.

Yeah, I know, right?  I feel like I'm that guy that had to work late and I'm getting to the party when the keg is down to the swill, all the girls are passed out, and there are just a couple blacked-out guys sitting around mumbling about pizza.  I figured this was a long shot, but I thought I'd give it a try.  Bat Country probably doesn't even come here anymore.  Oh well, we'll see.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: September 20, 2013, 06:18:26 AM

We still recruit.

But applications that happen less than 24 hours after registration and with 2 of your 3 posts bumping an eve thread that's been silent for 18 months are just going to result in an awkward moment.

Or not. I have studiously avoided any responsibility whatsoever in my 5 years playing eve so I certainly don't decide these things.

If you are a spy I'd suggest posting in politics for a while. Or make a post explaining why mechs are superior to tanks. Alternatively a treatise on the impact of PvP on MMOG subscription numbers is always good. With charts.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: September 20, 2013, 06:32:27 AM

If the guy is an honest-to-newbie then he probably doesn't understand how important it is to filter out spies. I suggest that he should join a corp.  Check out the official EVE forum and look for one that specializes in training newbies.  That way you make some friends while you learn this crazily difficult game.  Post on F13 for a while and then ask again in a few months and you'll have a better chance.

Seriously though. Join a corps. Soloing in this game is dire.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: September 20, 2013, 06:44:51 AM

Half of bat country is people kicked put of enemy corps for spying. I'd guess half them are probably spying on us. Stopping spies is near impossible.

But everyone looks like an idiot if you turn out to be bruschettas after joining the forum solely for corp access. (Free bruschettas)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Junkogen
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 20, 2013, 06:56:02 AM

Wow, this is like a job interview.  "Come back when you have more experience."  Fair enough, I guess.  I just didn't want to get too involved with one corp and then switch later and seem like a traitor.  I wanted to just start out in a corp that I liked from the beginning.  But it sounds like I might be getting in over my head here with all this spy stuff and what not.  

I've been playing Eve now for about a month.  I signed up in August.   I got accepted into the training corp of one group, but I didn't really like my avatar (I just sort of threw something together to start playing) and again, I wasn't sure if I would like the group long term, so that's when I started looking at other corps and discovered Bat Country.  Like I said in a different thread, I was just really drawn to the corp name since it references Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.  I figured there would be some like-minded people in the corp.  Also, I read the recruitment post at the beginning of this thread and it sounded like Bat Country would be a lot of fun. 

The only things I know so far are the basics of flying around in Eve, a cursory understanding of tackling and using my directional scanner, and that's about it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:04:12 AM by Junkogen »
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: September 20, 2013, 07:47:02 AM

Well, from the security point of view, the game is different from other MMO's in that:

- Any newbie can potentially steal the whole guild bank, fucking Bat Country over big time.

- Anyone can spy on PVP channels and tell the enemy, and not just spy but also actively bring the enemy on top of the fleet at a moment when we're unprepared.

- The game is ALL about epeen, killboard stats, bragging, backstabbing and betrayals, you're with us or against us, everyone is a spy, that kind of stuff.  Wars are started just because someone is bored, or wants to be richer, or has been insulted by smack talk, or just because why not.  It's about PVP performance, "we don't care about your shit excuses," figure stuff out yourself and just do it, that's the type of game it is.

- You're not a unique snowflake or special in any way.  To you, this looks like an interview, but to be blunt do you have any killboard stats?  A history of at least trying PVP and not being useless?  Anything that you've accomplished that's better than us just using an alt to fly the extra ship we may need in a fleet op?  Because the alt is less of a spy than a random person asking to join.

- Bat Country isn't a newbie training corp.  EVE University is, and Brave Newbies, Rifterlings, or other PVP groups are newbie-friendly enough that they'll accept newbies and teach them combat.  You may want Bat Country, but their fleet ops involve the bigger / advanced ships that you won't be able to fly for at least a few months, and fleet coordination and tactics that they expect you to already know from the above-mentioned training corps.

- Nobody cares if you join and leave other corps.  "I left them because they sucked at PVP and I wanted a better experience, and to learn from someone who didn't suck" or just "because they sucked" are the best excuses to explain a longer corp history, especially if you have PVP kills and deaths that show that you improved at the game in the process.

- You can't create the perfect character.  You didn't like your avatar, that's fine, but what happens if you mis-click and shoot someone and get a negative sec status?  What if you refuse a mission and get negative faction standings?  What if you don't like your name anymore?  What if you get a bounty placed on you?  If you're going to restart whenever the smallest blemish hits your character, this game will burn you out.  The way to fun in this game is to jump in and DO all the "wrong" things.  Piracy is fun and is PVP.  Pull a smart scam and win a cool billion, shows you're intelligent.  Shoot the target even if it lowers your sec. means you're with the team you're with no matter what.  And so on.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:58:05 AM by ajax34i »
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: September 20, 2013, 07:56:00 AM

Wow, this is like a job interview.  "Come back when you have more experience."  Fair enough, I guess.  I just didn't want to get too involved with one corp and then switch later and seem like a traitor.  I wanted to just start out in a corp that I liked from the beginning.  But it sounds like I might be getting in over my head here with all this spy stuff and what not.  

I've been playing Eve now for about a month.  I signed up in August.   I got accepted into the training corp of one group, but I didn't really like my avatar (I just sort of threw something together to start playing) and again, I wasn't sure if I would like the group long term, so that's when I started looking at other corps and discovered Bat Country.  Like I said in a different thread, I was just really drawn to the corp name since it references Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.  I figured there would be some like-minded people in the corp.  Also, I read the recruitment post at the beginning of this thread and it sounded like Bat Country would be a lot of fun.  

The only things I know so far are the basics of flying around in Eve, a cursory understanding of tackling and using my directional scanner, and that's about it.

If you are an earnest EVE newbie then you really need to join/stay in one of the training corps, they do a good job at helping you not suck.  Nobody that plays EVE is going to trust you, probably ever. Post here (Meaning post around the entire forum but, avoid the Politics Forum) for a while and contribute to show where your motivation is, and then laugh while everyone points and calls you a spy when you try to join again.  Keep repeating latter process until they are tired of harassing you and you have actually figured out what you want from EVE.

Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot...SPY!!!!!

Edit 2: Oh yeah, if any of this process makes you butthurt, you will NEVER fit in.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:00:19 AM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #118 on: September 20, 2013, 08:05:36 AM

You're not really considered a "traitor" for switching corps in EvE.  Only exception might be the corps that start on message boards like something awful and reddit.  Corps come and go, merge, dissolve, re-merge, splinter and get disbanded by spies.    Most pilot employment histories, which you can view in game, are over a page long as they bounce from one corp, back to the newbie corp, then to a different corp.  There are corps specifically geared just to train you so that you can go off into a bigger corp.  I don't know if that EvE university corp still exists, I think they got scammed by a spy.

If you decide to join a 0.0 pvp corp your decisions will follow you though, if you join one side of a conflict the other side and all their friends will have a dim view of you if you ever want to switch to them after they crush your alliance.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:16:56 AM by Miasma »
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: September 20, 2013, 10:09:48 AM

Since this thread is active, I'll drop in a brief "small world" anecdote:

Last weekend I was watching TheMittani.com's EVE Twitch stream. DaBigRedBoat (IIRC) was leading a stealth bomber op. At one point he opened a killmail, and I happened to note the victim's corp was "Bat Country."

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: September 20, 2013, 02:56:08 PM

Since this thread is active, I'll drop in a brief "small world" anecdote:

Last weekend I was watching TheMittani.com's EVE Twitch stream. DaBigRedBoat (IIRC) was leading a stealth bomber op. At one point he opened a killmail, and I happened to note the victim's corp was "Bat Country."

Shoot blues every day!

I'm pretty sure I never learned to use my directional scanner in the three years I played Eve. You may be overqualified for Bat Country.

You need to get an avatar, by the way. That's taken into account when applications are considered.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:59:12 PM by palmer_eldritch »
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: September 20, 2013, 02:57:35 PM

Can I add here that Eve is the best MMO and Bat Country is the best corp in Eve, so you should probably all play Eve and join Bat Country.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: September 20, 2013, 05:25:40 PM

Wait, you need an avatar?  I do not want a new one!  My EVE comeback is ruined!

Eve is 2 or 3 different games.  You can mull about in high sec running missions and mining with little risk(PvE).  You can throw your hat in with the serious business 0.0 crowd and the risk goes up (PvP).  Outside that you can build things or play spreadsheet market.  Just be aware that EVE is populated by malicious manchildren who delight in your slightest discomfort. 

EVE is also a terrible game that will burn you out rapidly if you do not find a serious goal or find a place to fit in.  Trust no one.  Also, hello spy! 
Junkogen
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: September 20, 2013, 10:35:22 PM

DUDE (Junkogen)
        Come on, man, I'm not trying to scam
        anybody here, I'm just--

LEBOWSKI (Bat Country)
        You're just looking for a handout
        like every other--are you employed,
        Mr. Lebowski?

DUDE
        Look, let me explain something.  
        I'm not Mr. Lebowski;  you're Mr.
        Lebowski.  I'm the Dude.  So that's  
        what  you  call me.  That, or Duder.
        His  Dudeness.  Or El Duderino, if,  
        you know, you're not into the whole
        brevity thing--

LEBOWSKI
        Are you employed, spy?

DUDE
        Employed?

LEBOWSKI
        You don't go out and make a living
        dressed like that in the middle of a
        weekday.

DUDE
        Is this a--what day is this?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:27:12 PM by Junkogen »
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: September 21, 2013, 06:45:36 AM

Obvious spy is obvious.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #125 on: September 21, 2013, 10:59:08 AM

That was probably from the Vile Rat Memorial Not Purple, Shoot It op.  Basically everyone not in your fleet was fair game for a few hours.
schild
Administrator

Reply #126 on: September 22, 2013, 12:07:20 AM

Locking this. Reason coming in Eve forum.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: [EVE Online] Bat Country Recruitment Thread 2012  
Jump to: