Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 06:59:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 132 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 1019065 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: July 26, 2012, 02:17:25 AM

No, they've made it clear that they're going to have it, but all the shots of the mechlab and even the video don't really show how it's classified.  In the Microsoft version, it was all different colours and sizes and was quite clear.  I'm just not seeing the differences here.

Never mind, I'll find out soon.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #596 on: July 26, 2012, 02:37:46 AM

I've read a lot about it and I am pretty sure it does have it. How does it look like in the UI I have no idea and I can't figure it out from the video either. But it does have it. Different variants should have different hardpoints so you can't just buy "a" Marauder and fit whatever you want on it based on weight, money and criticals, you have to actually get the variant that has the hardpoints you need/want to apply your changes.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: July 26, 2012, 02:41:20 AM

You can't buy a marauder.

Heartbreak

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #598 on: July 26, 2012, 06:54:29 AM

No, they've made it clear that they're going to have it, but all the shots of the mechlab and even the video don't really show how it's classified.  In the Microsoft version, it was all different colours and sizes and was quite clear.  I'm just not seeing the differences here.

Never mind, I'll find out soon.

IIRC in the mechlab video he says if you can't equip something in a slot it never even shows up on the list of parts on the right.  So no need for the color-coding of "this is a missile/ this is energy".

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: July 26, 2012, 10:23:13 AM

You can't buy a marauder.

Heartbreak
Blame Harmony Gold.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:38 AM

OH, I DO.  I BLAME THEM WITH THE HATRED OF A THOUSAND SUNS.

Not really.  Who are they ?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #601 on: July 26, 2012, 11:59:45 AM

They have the US rights to Robotech/Macross from which various of the original Battletech mech designs were taken from.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:02:03 PM by Trippy »
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #602 on: July 26, 2012, 12:10:33 PM

Eh, people have been blaming them for 30 years now. It's time for people to move on and realiize that FASA did in fact just use pictures directly lifted out of anime art books and that the original official Battletech "miniatures" were literally 1/144 scale models from Macross, Dougram, and Crusher Joe repackaged together. Fuck, I sitll have them unbuilt in the box somewhere. Also, it's not as if there haven't been a million fan designs that were just as good and didn't violate copyright. You can go to deviant art and find a dozen Maurader designs that look great. Same wih all the mechs for that matter. That should be a hint to the people publishing the books that they need to update the art and hire actual artists this time.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: July 26, 2012, 12:20:09 PM

In fairness, Bob, the art guy doing Mechwarrior Online is putting out some really good shit.

Not that it impacts on your point any.  You're quite right.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: July 26, 2012, 02:06:13 PM

No, they've made it clear that they're going to have it, but all the shots of the mechlab and even the video don't really show how it's classified.  In the Microsoft version, it was all different colours and sizes and was quite clear.  I'm just not seeing the differences here.

If you watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPoqjslGcO0&feature=channel&list=UL

You see that the mechs are divided into hardpoints.  When he goes to equip something (1:26 for instance) you can see the slots where stuff goes.  Below the slots it says "hardpoint restrictions" with 0/0 ballistic 2/3 energy etc.  So probably the variants have different hardpoint restrictions.  The video also shows stuff like gyros and engine or whatever so possibly some variants have gyros/dodads in different spots.  I assume you can't just throw the engine on an arm or whatever either.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:08:54 PM by Amaron »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: July 26, 2012, 02:28:06 PM

Instant Founder Access enabled.

HMmm.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: July 26, 2012, 02:29:23 PM

No, they've made it clear that they're going to have it, but all the shots of the mechlab and even the video don't really show how it's classified.  In the Microsoft version, it was all different colours and sizes and was quite clear.  I'm just not seeing the differences here.

If you watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPoqjslGcO0&feature=channel&list=UL

You see that the mechs are divided into hardpoints.  When he goes to equip something (1:26 for instance) you can see the slots where stuff goes.  Below the slots it says "hardpoint restrictions" with 0/0 ballistic 2/3 energy etc.  So probably the variants have different hardpoint restrictions.  The video also shows stuff like gyros and engine or whatever so possibly some variants have gyros/dodads in different spots.  I assume you can't just throw the engine on an arm or whatever either.

Oh Yeah.  Good Spot.

Thanks.

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: July 26, 2012, 02:41:29 PM

It looks to be a mix of MW4 with the color coded hardpoint restrictions and basic boardgame mech sheets and design rules (XL engines will wipe out 3 slots in each side torso, etc.).  The MW4 UI provided instant awareness of what kind would fit where, I think that is lost in this mechlab incarnation, though I'm much more a fan of this mode of freedom where you've got the freedom to put a few of these types into this area and no restriction on parts of that area (like no 2-slot ballistic only restriction within the Right Torso, which I remember from prior games). 

I guess the open question would be, do different variants actually change the mix of available weapons in the chassis' hardpoints, or are they just different weapon loadouts adhering to the same rules per chassis. 

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: July 26, 2012, 02:48:49 PM

I guess the open question would be, do different variants actually change the mix of available weapons in the chassis' hardpoints, or are they just different weapon loadouts adhering to the same rules per chassis. 

Yes.   awesome, for real
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: July 26, 2012, 02:50:33 PM

Btw, anyone who has bought a founders pack should be getting an invite today.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #610 on: July 26, 2012, 04:13:13 PM

This is true and correct.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: July 27, 2012, 03:34:43 AM

Purchased.  I am worthless and weak.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #612 on: July 27, 2012, 03:42:01 AM

roflcopter

What founder level did you go for?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:43:48 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: July 27, 2012, 04:04:21 AM

This is going to be such a regret-free purchase.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: July 27, 2012, 04:12:28 AM

I gave in and bought the founders pack (with a catapult)

(just couldn't help myself why so serious?)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #615 on: July 27, 2012, 04:35:47 AM

I bought the $120 a while back.  I have no regrets.

But you can't say so even if you got in earlier.  wink

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: July 27, 2012, 05:47:32 AM

I think I read somewhere that due to every founder now being officially in the beta, if you are a founder you _can_ say you are in the beta. This is to reflect the fact that founders have a tag in the official forums, so it would be ridiculous for them to pretend not to be in the beta.

But you still can't say anything else.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: July 27, 2012, 05:55:40 AM

But you still can't say anything else.

In your opinion, which may or may not be swayed by actually being able to play the current version of the game- is the founders package worth getting?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: July 27, 2012, 05:56:16 AM

The bare ass version, mechless.

I have downloaded the stuff and will see you all online.

Given that they've said this will happen, I'm quite sure it's not NDA breaking.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: July 27, 2012, 06:21:37 AM

In my opinion, it's absolutely mandatory to play this game.
I can't, in any way, suggest how much money should you spend on it considering you will still be able to play it for free.

I chose to pay 120$, in two installments. Do with that information anything you want.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:23:16 AM by Falconeer »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:04 AM

Purchased.  I am worthless and weak.
Woo! Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: July 27, 2012, 07:14:02 AM

SILENCE WOMAN.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: July 27, 2012, 07:47:38 AM

I can't hear you over the sound of my alpha strike.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: July 27, 2012, 07:54:45 AM

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: July 27, 2012, 08:18:34 AM

Meh, almost caved but reading the hardware requirements my old PC just slowly shook its head... Heartbreak

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #625 on: July 27, 2012, 10:53:44 AM

I just upgraded my graphics card a few weeks ago, my pc is from 2008, dual core E8400.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: July 27, 2012, 05:26:02 PM

Eh, people have been blaming them for 30 years now. It's time for people to move on and realiize that FASA did in fact just use pictures directly lifted out of anime art books and that the original official Battletech "miniatures" were literally 1/144 scale models from Macross, Dougram, and Crusher Joe repackaged together. Fuck, I sitll have them unbuilt in the box somewhere. Also, it's not as if there haven't been a million fan designs that were just as good and didn't violate copyright. You can go to deviant art and find a dozen Maurader designs that look great. Same wih all the mechs for that matter. That should be a hint to the people publishing the books that they need to update the art and hire actual artists this time.
The issue was they thought they had the rights (someone sold them...something) and various iterations of FASA, MS, Smith & Tinker et. al. have tried to untangle that legal mess but Harmony Gold doesn't want them to because being copyright trolls over everything that is even vaguely related to Robotech is the only thing keeping them in business as a company.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: July 27, 2012, 05:56:50 PM

Yeah, I am not from North America, but what the hell is Harmony Gold anyway? I mean, I know what they were and what they did in the early 80s, but are they seriously still in business? Companies come and go, economy died and resurrected a few times in the last thirty years, and they are still out there pissing on our Battletech? If Capitalism could ever do something good for me, would be to crush Harmony Gold to pieces (and of course I don't mean it. There's people working there and I don't want them to lose their jobs).

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: July 27, 2012, 06:34:57 PM

They still own the rights on some of their anime titles and movies, but I think they are more into real estate or something now.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: July 27, 2012, 07:21:32 PM

Are we going to get a private subforum to talk about this game while the NDA is still in effect?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 132 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online  
Jump to: