Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:12:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Tell me what not to do. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell me what not to do.  (Read 11392 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

on: October 01, 2011, 11:17:18 AM

So I went ahead and got Rift on the steam sell.  Figured I'd play the free month and add the experience to my mmo repertoire.

Since this is going to probably be a quick'ish experience, I'd like recommendations on what and what not to do, rather than slowly trying to figure it out myself.   awesome, for real

1.)  What classes are most enjoyable to play?  I started a Bladedancer/Assasine/Riftalker.  Seems pretty good so far, though I had been thinking about a Marksman type char as well (how hard is it to drop and get new souls?).  Might also try a mage character.  Are there any souls that are boring/shitty that I should avoid?

2.)  I'll probably try another character on a PvP server.  Who sucks and who is good at pvp?

3.)  What crafting skills should I take?  Was looking at apothecary since that was always good/fun in WoW.  Any of the blacksmiths stuff worthwhile, or is it all completely useless without raid boss recipe drops like WoW?

4.)  I made my character on Threesprings since that's what the sticky thread said was the F13 server.  Is there a specific F13 PvP server?  Any other servers I should create on?

edit:  5.)  And how the fuck do I add extra rows of ability slots to the screen?  The 10 slots at the bottom and toggling between the rows isn't cutting it.  I found the place to change the UI by moving stuff around, but not how to make row 1,2,ect its own bar...

And yes, I saw the large amount of posts in this forum and decided I'd rather just start a new thread than try reading through them to find answers.   tongue
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:23:14 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 11:31:17 AM

1.)  What classes are most enjoyable to play?  I started a Bladedancer/Assasine/Riftalker.  Seems pretty good so far, though I had been thinking about a Marksman type char as well (how hard is it to drop and get new souls?).  Might also try a mage character.  Are there any souls that are boring/shitty that I should avoid?

That is actually a very good combination for leveling.  Make sure you go up to 13 in RS for the "unused combo points heal you" talent and in bladedancer up until the "unused combo points return energy" talent, then you become a farming machine.  Assassin is great for a bit of extra dps.

2.)  I'll probably try another character on a PvP server.  Who sucks and who is good at pvp?

Hard to tell at this point, there was a new major patch with lots of rebalancing.  I would say every single class has combinations that suck and combinations that kick ass.  As long as you are willing to play what works and not whatever you want then you won't have a problem with any class.

3.)  What crafting skills should I take?  Was looking at apothecary since that was always good/fun in WoW.  Any of the blacksmiths stuff worthwhile, or is it all completely useless without raid boss recipe drops like WoW?

Recipes come from marks you get from doing crafting daily/weekly quests, or random drops of five man instances.  As far as i know not from raids.  I can't tell ya whats good, i barely craft at all.  

edit:  5.)  And how the fuck do I add extra rows of ability slots to the screen?  The 10 slots at the bottom and toggling between the rows isn't cutting it.  I found the place to change the UI by moving stuff around, but not how to make row 1,2,ect its own bar...

Settings ---> interface ---> action bars

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 11:44:59 AM

So I went ahead and got Rift on the steam sell.  Figured I'd play the free month and add the experience to my mmo repertoire.

Since this is going to probably be a quick'ish experience, I'd like recommendations on what and what not to do, rather than slowly trying to figure it out myself.   awesome, for real

There are only 4 callings and they mostly follow the normal RPG conventions so it really just depends on what type of character you want to play. If you want to change callings to you need to create a new character, however. If you want to change the souls you have you can either purchase a respec or purchase another soul slot from a calling trainer.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 12:21:57 PM

There are only 4 callings and they mostly follow the normal RPG conventions so it really just depends on what type of character you want to play. If you want to change callings to you need to create a new character, however. If you want to change the souls you have you can either purchase a respec or purchase another soul slot from a calling trainer.
To clarify you can replace any soul that has 0 points allocated to it. So when you respec your current souls get set back to 0 points and you can swap any or all of them out for other souls that you own.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 12:41:26 PM

Respeccing is cheap as fuck and you can have up to five different specs, also in case you didn't know you have access to all of the souls for your class not just the ones you picked.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:43:27 PM

You have to buy them, though, at 20 gold each.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 08:15:46 PM

Thanks for the help guys!  That's actually pretty cool how you can be any class of the rogue category, by just respec'ing.  At first I thought the 20 gold to buy new souls was bad, but now I'm leveled up with almost 3 plat, so thats not a big deal, heh.  I'll have to fuck around with some other characters.  Its a really cool system.

Having said that, this game is almost top to bottom WoW, with newer graphics, and a few new features (like the rift invasions and the soul system).  I mean, I'm playing a rogue, and the skills/abilities are almost exactly the god damn same, right down to the whole combo point system.  Still, its a lot of fun, and I spent forever playing WoW, so of course I'm enjoying leveling up a char with in this, heh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 10:09:39 PM

I've personally been playing with ranger/marksman/whatever for the last couple days. It's just as easy as WoW Hunter if that's your things.  Quick kills, little risk.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 10:09:53 PM

This thread got me thinking about finally using the box I bought a while back but I had a question: is there any big difference between how many/what type of macros are used between Rogues and Clerics, specifically regarding PvE healing or ranged damage?

I have nothing against macros in general (I use tons of them in WoW), but mashing a big list of spells annoys me for whatever reason.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 10:31:35 PM

I've personally been playing with ranger/marksman/whatever for the last couple days. It's just as easy as WoW Hunter if that's your things.  Quick kills, little risk.
That's my rogue build. Easy leveling. Though I'm playing my necrolock right now, it's pretty much godmode. The other night I had maybe 7 or 9 equal level mobs on me and I picked the wrong rotation and died, because I forgot to feign death. I got a laugh. Hell, I've only used feign death maybe four times. The main problem with a necrolock is always having to backtrack to loot corpses.

I don't use macros, but I love that you can set the queue to completely remove mashing. On the necrolock, I really only use 4 main spells, two dots that are instacast because I hate casting bars, a nuke that I usually try to wait until it's instacast (triggered % when casting from a talent), and the channeled lifetap that is the gravy of the soul. Some ae stuff as needed, the warlock has some nice stuff but channeling can be a hassle.

I think this calc is out of date, but it's something like this (from memory): http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvwR.txoh0VVx.xkctVxz
Ralence
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 10:34:22 PM

I can't speak for the Rogue thing, but as a PvE cleric, I levelled as Shaman primary and had all of 1 button I had to press, with a panic button and a heal myself button, really couldn't have been easier.  As for PvP;  I'm running a heavy ranged build, and I had to create 5 different macros to combine spells for a nice burst combo, but other than utility stuff, it's really not a minigame of map the 50 abilities and remember where they are on the keyboard at all.

Some things that should be mentioned;

When you close a rift solo, its 10% of your level in experience, obviously this excludes the bonus stage, but at any level, it's a huge chunk.
You can buy additional "roles" at your class trainer, it lets you switch between specs out of combat almost instantly, I currently run a PvE healer build, a PvP range build and a PvE farming build.
I've found crafting to be completely worthless, for a first char, take 3 harvesting skills and sell the crap to the vendors, the AH isn't even worth it.  Butchering especially, since you don't have to go out of your way for it, and at higher levels the stuff is worth a ton.  (which also explains why there are skinning bots constantly running on my server in the same 3 or 4 places)
You don't ever have to buy anything except bags and a mount.  Almost every zone you do quests in will upgrade every piece of gear you have every 10 levels or so.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Tell me what not to do.  
Jump to: