Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:46:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Supreme Court To Determine Drug Dog Limits... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Supreme Court To Determine Drug Dog Limits...  (Read 1761 times)
CmdrSlack
Contributor

on: April 06, 2004, 11:23:32 PM

An interesting case has come out of Illinois, and the Supremes just granted it certiorari on Monday.

The case is Illinois v. Caballes, and it involves whether an officer can use a drug dog in an ordinary traffic stop when no reasonable suspicion exists that the driver is doing anything wrong.

Basically, if the cops don't think you're doing anything wrong, can they use a drug dog, "just to be sure?"

The local news has an article from AP here.  I also have a writeup on my site, not super in-depth, but perhaps that's for a later opinion piece.

The Court will basically be interpreting its earlier cases that involved drug dog sniffs (although they were secondary to the main issue in the case), and coming to a final determination on whether police need any level of suspicion to use drug dogs in traffic stops.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 06:46:15 AM

Guess I should stop driving with bacon.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Supreme Court To Determine Drug Dog Limits...  
Jump to: