Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: 1.5: Let's give this one more hurrah... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.5: Let's give this one more hurrah...  (Read 117030 times)
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: September 29, 2011, 04:27:39 AM

Oh yeah the veteran rewards rock too, having 30 hours of 100% extra exp might even get me to roll another alt.

I am still using the 50% xp pots and like I said blew threw 2 full attunement bars last night, granted I had quests saved up but I still made 1.5 attunement bars after that from a few warfronts, pvp dailies and the chronicles.  Im going to chew threw those 100% xp pots but Im going to go find a killer grind spot first.  Im thinking elites are the way to go with grinding, takes me about 15 seconds to kill one with minimal dmg to me or just use pots to keep a constant kill rate.  With 100% xp pots a 50 elite is worth about 5K xp, kill 3 per minute thats 15k xp / minute so 34 mobs will take about 12 minutes for 1 attunement bar.  

Oh yeah, the warrior tears this patch are making for a mighty strong cup of javalol
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:48:23 AM by Shatter »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: September 29, 2011, 05:04:30 AM

Like they have anything to complain about, the new warfront announcements made it very clear last night that warriors are still on top of the hill.

I am the .00000001428%
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: September 29, 2011, 06:10:51 AM

Like they have anything to complain about, the new warfront announcements made it very clear last night that warriors are still on top of the hill.

These things frequently made no sense and they seem to be given out too frequently. And just to complain some more, it needed to be the Unreal Tournament guy doing all those. If they are going to go that way, they need to go all out ridiculous with it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #143 on: September 29, 2011, 06:15:00 AM

Not too ridiculous, frogdog.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: September 29, 2011, 06:48:05 AM

Not too ridiculous, frogdog.

I see what you did thar
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: September 29, 2011, 08:53:18 AM

He has a point though, the voice acting on those announcements is horrid. 

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: September 29, 2011, 09:04:46 AM

Reducing it to a simple 'man down!' or something might be ok, but not sure it would be useful at that point. Probably better off just shutting it off for death messages, or better yet, have a menu so you can toggle which notifications fire for you locally.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: September 29, 2011, 02:53:45 PM

If you are doing the chronicles make sure you look around for artifacts, even the white ones are selling for ridiculous amounts.

I am the .00000001428%
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: October 31, 2011, 07:17:10 PM

I got around to trying all the Chronicles this weekend. They felt pretty easy on my new 50 cleric, so I really don't think another person is needed unless you have a solo-unfriendly spec and are unwilling to change for the chronicles.

The GSB/HK chronicles were not especially exciting. It was cool seeing the environments, but the fights themselves weren't enough to make the experience interesting, and there was very little story to speak of. The 'celebration' chronicle was much better and the boss fight was actually pretty fun with one person. This is the way they ought to go for future chronicles, though I suspect the celebration chronicle was expensive to make and people really don't have any reason to run it more than once.

That's ultimately the problem with chronicles. Raids are expensive to make, but a single raid will keep raiders occupied and subscribed for months. Tailor-made chronicles would be just as expensive to make (maybe moreso since balancing for most souls to be able to solo any given fight is probably rough), but they're only going to last one play session unless they throw a reward timesink in or make the content more difficult. Neither of which will be appreciated by players that would be interested in chronicles.

It would be a ton of work for a part of the game most players have already moved past, but I've love to see chronicles used as the way for people to learn new souls. Have the chronicle take place in an instanced version of an existing area, which teaches you the lore behind the soul and also shows you how the first couple abilities can be used.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: November 01, 2011, 07:15:09 AM

Chronicles shouldn't be hard to make.  They are using existing art sets.  Heck, they are using pre-made zones, so you don't actually have to build anything really.  The major environment change of the two duo Chronicles is the different hedge maze in GSB.

The hardest part of all of them is the scripting of some of the RP in the events and then the ensuing QA.  The fights are designed to be more open, this much more easy to balance.  They are set to "do no punish".  What they really can do is create a single-player like environment there where you have to do some platforming or other game elements.  It could be an amazing content piece if they concentrate on it.

The celebration is the best one.  HK/GSB are pretty damn boring after 1 or 2 runs through.  They need to incentivise them better.  They need to up the consumable drop rate and the PA exp.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: November 01, 2011, 08:01:32 AM

They need to up the consumable drop rate and the PA exp.

The consumable thing would be really nice. They seemed drop fairly frequently at the start, but then not so much shortly thereafter.

PA is really odd. I would have expected chronicles, dungeons and raids to be fairly rewarding, but they aren't. PvP, Rift grinding or just straight mob grinding seems to be the most effective.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: November 01, 2011, 08:35:17 AM

they're only going to last one play session unless they throw a reward timesink in or make the content more difficult. Neither of which will be appreciated by players that would be interested in chronicles.
As someone interested in them, I'd say if it gave a fun dungeon crawl experience, I wouldn't mind repeating it...if the rewards were there. Making the content more difficult could follow the vanilla>heroic style of progression similar to the regular group dungeons. So you run the easier vanilla chronicles to gear up for the tougher chronicles, which lets you handle the easier heroic chronicles, which lets you handle the tough heroics. Which would then lead you into maybe mid-range group stuff?

I'm not a huge fan of gear progression, but if the content was fun to replay I wouldn't mind it as a byproduct.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: November 01, 2011, 10:00:07 AM

The crafters had a big problem with the consumable drop rates, rightly so i assume. Consumables are how the majority of them make money, killing the demand would be a big blow.  I as a pvp only player was doing the chronicles daily until they nerfed the exp, i felt the reward was fine for the time invested (also i was chugging 100% exp pots, which helped a ton).  Without pots and with the nerfed exp i see no reason at all to bother.

I am the .00000001428%
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: November 01, 2011, 11:39:15 AM

On the crafter thing, I could care less. Too many idiot crafters out there making things for under cost anyway that trying to make money on those things is a lost cause. And its not like you could farm up enough of these things with the variety of drops to fuel an entire week worth of raiding. At 3 nights a week for 4 hours, I need 12 flasks and 6 whet stones.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: November 01, 2011, 11:46:39 AM

I got around to trying all the Chronicles this weekend. They felt pretty easy on my new 50 cleric, so I really don't think another person is needed unless you have a solo-unfriendly spec and are unwilling to change for the chronicles.

Interesting, my vanilla 50 Rogue was beaten senseless by the elites in the Duo dungeons; so, I took them at their word that nudge-nudge "properly geared" folks could solo it...and canceled.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: November 01, 2011, 11:56:38 AM

Interesting, my vanilla 50 Rogue was beaten senseless by the elites in the Duo dungeons; so, I took them at their word that nudge-nudge "properly geared" folks could solo it...and canceled.

Proper spec is key.  What were you trying to solo as? At the bare minimum you need the improved proc chance leeching poison, the life refund on unused combo points in RS helps a ton too.

I am the .00000001428%
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: November 01, 2011, 12:10:51 PM

Chronicles shouldn't be hard to make.  They are using existing art sets.  Heck, they are using pre-made zones, so you don't actually have to build anything really.  The major environment change of the two duo Chronicles is the different hedge maze in GSB.

Well, that's the thing. We'll only see chronicles that re-use assets and probably don't have a lot of interesting fight mechanics because of this. In other words, we'll see more GSB/HK, not more Celebration.

The difficulty/gear progression would be hard to pull off considering the variety of specs out there. Then again, if they just balance them for two players it does save them some headaches.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: November 02, 2011, 01:28:56 AM

My rogue without any raiding gear at all has soloed them all, without leeching poison either.. I just went tank spec and took advantage of the. Talent that refunds  health for unused combo points to stay alive.  The. Hardest boss by far in the entire set of instances is the bomb guy in GSB because he doesn't have any adds at all to feed you health.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: November 02, 2011, 06:37:48 AM

I think I have pretty much beat the game, for me at least.  I got my rogue to rank 8, picked up 85% of the rank 7/8 gear, have the best item enchantments I can get, planars(lessers and greaters without raiding), etc.  All my armor is dyed how I want it, 200G in the bank without anything to spend it on.  Outside of wrapping up the final rank 8 piece and shard I need there would be no point to PvP anymore(other then to do PvP).  Once TOR beta is back up I guess I'll finally close this account.  I find it somewhat strange that Trion hasnt made any announcements for any kind of upcoming expansion(assuming one is coming).  I might keep the account open just for veteran rewards or something if I knew a solid expansion might be coming but meh.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: November 02, 2011, 07:36:51 AM

There are tier 2 lessers coming out next patch, as well as library of the runemaster rep vendors with stat/valor shoulder enchants.  Also tier 2 planar attunement.

I am the .00000001428%
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: November 02, 2011, 07:47:06 AM

I think I have pretty much beat the game, for me at least.

Hmm. I recently resubbed and while there are a lot of things I haven't done, I kind of feel the same way. I've done a raid, I've done the dungeons, and I've run more than plenty of Rifts. And while there's bunches of raids I haven't seen, I feel no compulsion to go do them. It just feels like I've experienced what I'm going to experience and explored all the systems and nothing seems compelling or exciting.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: November 02, 2011, 08:07:10 AM

They need to up the consumable drop rate and the PA exp.

The consumable thing would be really nice. They seemed drop fairly frequently at the start, but then not so much shortly thereafter.

PA is really odd. I would have expected chronicles, dungeons and raids to be fairly rewarding, but they aren't. PvP, Rift grinding or just straight mob grinding seems to be the most effective.

Yeah, I can fully clear Hammerknell except the final boss and get maybe... 1 PA level.  Maybe.

They need to increase the xp rate of boss in all content.  I should be able to farm older raids and gain 25-100% of a PA per kill.  Some significant chunk.  Same think with 5 and 10 mans.  It gives raiders a reason to do 5 mans, just like in WOTLK when raiders did it for badges.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: November 02, 2011, 08:09:49 AM

Well, that's the thing. We'll only see chronicles that re-use assets and probably don't have a lot of interesting fight mechanics because of this. In other words, we'll see more GSB/HK, not more Celebration.

The difficulty/gear progression would be hard to pull off considering the variety of specs out there. Then again, if they just balance them for two players it does save them some headaches.

Well, you're more likely to see chronicles that use the same assets.  I would assume in the future all new raid/dungeon/sliver content will also release a chronicle as well and they all will share the same art assets.

They can easily interject more fight mechanics if there is a demand for it.  Trion is all about demand of the player base, and they listen.  Trust me.  If you want it make a post about it on the official forums (if you care that much).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: November 02, 2011, 08:59:16 AM

I don't think it can be repeated enough what a great team they have at Trion.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: November 02, 2011, 01:38:26 PM

Yeah, a dev house this good deserves to succeed.  They've added several years and expansions worth of features and content to this game in a little over six months, i wish Rift wasn't so damn vanilla and was doing better.

I am the .00000001428%
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: November 02, 2011, 01:57:13 PM

I'm not going to post about chronicles changes on the forums because I'd rather be doing group content anyway. It was nice that I got to see GSB/HK as a solo player, but I'll probably enjoy them more as raids once I find a casual guild that I like.

It sounds like they're doing well, but it's possible they're exaggerating their success. I have to agree that they seem like a really excellent developer. Allowing free server transfers really shows you what type of company they are.

That's one of the reasons I decided to give the game another try, and I've been active for almost 3 months now with plenty of stuff still left to do.

I thought the dungeons were sort of mediocre while leveling, and I was disappointed end-game consisted of re-running harder versions of them. What I didn't realize is that T1/T2 dungeons often had whole new sections to explore with a bunch of new bosses. It means that leveling dungeons stay fast and easy, but end-game dungeons feel like a bit more of an adventure. Running Deepstrike Mine as a T2 was a completely different experience than the original version. It's just another example of really smart design.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: November 02, 2011, 02:57:02 PM

Proper spec is key.  What were you trying to solo as? At the bare minimum you need the improved proc chance leeching poison, the life refund on unused combo points in RS helps a ton too.

Thanks... yeah, I tried lots of specs (best thing about the game).  Ultimately just didn't have enough gear umph.  This character was 100% solo, so just Quest/Crafted/bought blues; but that was one of my pre-patch points... if I needed group (i.e. Dungeon) loot in order to do the "solo" content, then its not solo content.  They made it easier to discern when they explicitly called it Duo content, so I wasn't surprised... I just decided that the game was not going in a direction that would be fun for me.  For me, its not about getting a group - I had no issue getting groups in Rift - so designing content for 2 people is the same (in my eyes) as designing it for 1+x: once you add the "x" I don't care if it is 2x or 20x... its the x I don't want.  Or, more precisely, I like to group as an enhancement to my solo experience.  I just ran out of things to do solo and dropped the game after my 3rd 50.  I wish them well, it is a solid, well built game.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: November 02, 2011, 06:30:55 PM

When they came out i soloed them in rank 3 pvp gear, that does not require grouping.

I am the .00000001428%
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: November 02, 2011, 07:01:50 PM

There is also a solo path to obtain T2-equiv gear via inscribed sourcestone from zone events. I mean, those are inadvertently group events, but you can participate in them solo. There is some really easy to make crafted gear as well. I think I paid about 2plat for the mats per piece of armor, and then I just found someone in trade chat to make them.
devildog
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: November 03, 2011, 10:33:28 AM

As has been said, there are a couple of paths to go down for gear that will allow you to solo the chronicles. Rank3/4 pvp will allow you to do it without much of a problem as a rogue. I have done both solo in rank 4 pvp gear as both a 44 nb/ 22rs spec and the 51 assassin/ riftblade spec. I'm sure there a couple other spec also. The leeching poison with the heal from killing a mob is a big deal. I have also soloed them as a pvp r3 warrior and as a cleric. I haven't tried it on a mage, but i would assume it would be doable at a comparable gear level there too. You have the option of getting rings and a weapon made that are on par with rank 6 pvp weapons i think, though it takes a bit of doing to gather the mats. The sigil you can put together by participating in daily raid rifts or just doing rift events. You can put a simple one together easier, but a good one will take some time and a fairly hefty sourcestone investment. I think the biggest thing are the weapons and weapon enchants. You can put 5 dps stones on each dagger and go to town. There are also various epic crafted armor pieces or you can work your way towards doing pug t2s and gathering the equivalent of badges for raid gear.

I don't think it was a reasonable expectation that you would run into chronicles with crafted blues and solo it, but maybe that is just me. Also, you don't have to solo it. Finding other people in the same boat isn't too hard. I know with my mage i ran through in a duo for a while in blues, and it was pretty easy that way.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: November 03, 2011, 11:34:48 AM

So you need pvp or raid gear to solo the chronicles? Why wouldn't the first one be set up for fresh 50s in crafted/quest greens/blues (sans mats from raid events/zone event count as raids imo)?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: November 03, 2011, 11:54:14 AM

They are, two of them.  And honestly I seriously doubt most classes couldn't solo them even at that gear level.

I am the .00000001428%
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: November 03, 2011, 12:17:27 PM

So you need pvp or raid gear to solo the chronicles? Why wouldn't the first one be set up for fresh 50s in crafted/quest greens/blues (sans mats from raid events/zone event count as raids imo)?

The first one is for new 50s to solo.

The other two are for 'duo's or well-geared 50s to solo.

I had no problems soloing all 3 with level 50 blues, but it's very spec-dependent. March said that he was having problems with them regardless of spec, so we were pointing out a few gear paths for solo players.

Raid gear, for what it's worth, is total overkill. T1/T2-equiv gear should be enough to solo the chronicles if you are having problems.
devildog
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: November 03, 2011, 12:31:17 PM

For the record, i wasn't saying you needed raid gear to do the chronicles solo. It most definitely makes them easier, and you would be hard pressed to screw a chronicle up in rank 6+ pvp gear or t1 raid gear for example. The last 2 chronicles are set up for two people. By my experience running with a green and blues mage and a similarly geared warrior this means someone with some healing, of some sort, and someone with damage. At least that was my mileage. You would have to be wearing the quest items you got in the 20s to be a sadder duo than what we ran out there. It was a bit painful and slow, but still doable.

Also, if you are having a tough time there are consumables like powerstones, weaponstones,etc. that will help a bit. You can actually find some of these throughout the chronicles, which is part of the reason i still run them.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: November 03, 2011, 01:08:29 PM

I see what you guys are saying, and I'll leave off any further discussion since I haven't actually played through them so I lack first-hand experience.

I just think selling solo content that is duo or counts on group content for gearing is utter fucking bullshit. More about something for raiders/pvp folks to do while waiting in queue or bored than for true solo gameplay.

The horse is ground to bits, though...so as I said, I'll just keep my peace. It's definitely not the thing to pull this casual soloer back into Rift, and I'll leave it at that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: 1.5: Let's give this one more hurrah...  
Jump to: