Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:31:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Summer Sale 2011 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Summer Sale 2011  (Read 80419 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 01, 2011, 11:13:39 AM

I want Shogun but not at that price.   Who knows when I'll have time to play it so I might as well wait.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #71 on: July 01, 2011, 11:15:24 AM

$5 is worth a flyer, but IMO they've all been sort of crappy since 3.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #72 on: July 01, 2011, 12:06:45 PM

I want Shogun but not at that price.   Who knows when I'll have time to play it so I might as well wait.

Same. I have waited this long; I can wait until the inevitable holiday sale this fall and get it for $19.99 or less.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 01, 2011, 12:17:30 PM

A bunch of Star Wars games are on sale today, too.  Knights of the Old Republic and Battlefront 2 are $2.50 each, seems like a solid buy if you don't have them already.  The Force Unleashed 2 and Empire at War are on the block, too.
Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: July 01, 2011, 12:54:01 PM

Steam is nickling and diming me to death with all this 66-75% stuff ... curse you and your successful business model!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #75 on: July 01, 2011, 01:45:52 PM

Yeah, picked up Battlefront II.  I remember the first one being fun, but never played the sequel.  Same with KOTOR, but they, sadly, don't have KOTOR II.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #76 on: July 01, 2011, 03:05:59 PM

I'm spending a lot of money. So many new games!

Warning about KOTOR: It doesn't play nice with windows 7 64bit. If you're running this, don't bother buying.

I have a huge list of games that I'm going to buy on the last day, but my take so far:

Yesterday:
Oblivion
DoW2: Retribution
Telltale Pack (Sam & Max, Monkey Island, BttF, strongbad)

Today:
Spacechem
Devil May Cry 4
Dark Messiah might and magic (from the pack, it was $2 and apparently the only really good buy in there as I already own HOMM5)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:09:23 PM by bhodi »
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: July 01, 2011, 04:02:38 PM

Warning about KOTOR: It doesn't play nice with windows 7 64bit. If you're running this, don't bother buying.

Fiddled around with this a bit and got it working by disabling the hardware cursor (should be a program in there called swconfig that lets you set the config options without launching the game).  It's a bit tetchy, but it runs.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #78 on: July 01, 2011, 05:29:47 PM

DoW2 tempts me, but I'm hoping for a sale later where I can get the complete package for a similar price.  the THQ complete pack appeals for this reason, but has a bunch of games I probably wouldn't ever play.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #79 on: July 01, 2011, 05:45:39 PM

Not only can you get KotOR working with 7 64, there's a widescreen hack.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #80 on: July 02, 2011, 07:05:40 AM

DoW2 tempts me, but I'm hoping for a sale later where I can get the complete package for a similar price.  the THQ complete pack appeals for this reason, but has a bunch of games I probably wouldn't ever play.

I got the THQ pack last year and it was pretty much the best deal. Metro, dawn of war, company of heroes (dawn of war in WW2), red faction guerrilla were all fantastic games. Titan quest was OK. I see they switched up the pack though and added homefront and MX, and removed some other games, I dunno. Anyway I think it's a good deal by far just for dawn of war and all the exps alone.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 02, 2011, 07:08:13 AM

I'm spending a lot of money. So many new games!

Hmm I'm running it on Vista 64 bit no problem.   I have a brand new ATI card too which is the worst possible card to have for running those games.

Also for anyone who likes MTG I'd like to say Spectromancer + all DLC for 5 bucks has turned out to be a damn nice deal.   I haven't even tried it online yet and it's already been worth it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:10:07 AM by Amaron »
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: July 02, 2011, 07:43:18 AM

So many packs I'd consider if I didn't already own half the games.  swamp poop

Bought KOTOR for my wife last Christmas I think and she really liked it, but then it started crashing and glitching all the time on Win 7 64 and I could never get it smooth no matter what patches and mods I tried.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 02, 2011, 08:08:03 AM

I tried to like Blood Bowl, but I couldn't find the fun. Likewise I really struggled to get into KOTOR which I picked up last time it was on sale; I just found the game to be paced really slow, the world uninteresting and the interface and gameplay slightly unintuitive.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 02, 2011, 09:28:35 AM

I tried to like Blood Bowl, but I couldn't find the fun. Likewise I really struggled to get into KOTOR which I picked up last time it was on sale; I just found the game to be paced really slow, the world uninteresting and the interface and gameplay slightly unintuitive.

KOTOR does start VERY slowly, and it is a bit ancient now.  Its pretty darn good if you stick it out though. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 02, 2011, 09:55:48 AM

Battlefield bad company 2 $7.50
AvP $4.99
Fable 3 $24.99
Darksiders $4.99
Plants v Zombies $3.39
Bioshock 2 $4.99
Magicka $3.39
Football Manager 2011 $9,99
HL2 Ep2 $5.39
Super Meatboy $7.49
Hoard $2.99
Resident Evil 5 $14.99

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #86 on: July 02, 2011, 10:04:17 AM

How was RE5. I never really liked the RE series of games, just not a huge fan of the original style of game play, I thought I had heard that RE5 was more like FPS gameplay than the previous games.

Any truth to that?
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 02, 2011, 10:06:23 AM

I played RE5 for 30 minutes and I hated how clunky it was.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #88 on: July 02, 2011, 10:11:04 AM

How was RE5. I never really liked the RE series of games, just not a huge fan of the original style of game play, I thought I had heard that RE5 was more like FPS gameplay than the previous games.

Any truth to that?
Nah, it's like RE4. RE4 was amazing back in the day because it did away with the static camera angles and had more action. However it's still tank controls and "press button to take firing stance, then press another button to fire" thing. It's positively clunky compared to any cover-based shooter you've ever played.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: July 02, 2011, 10:12:51 AM

I'm seeing Bad Company 2 as 5.00, not 7.50.  In North America if that makes a difference.   Might buy Darksiders for 5 bucks, anyone know much about it?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #90 on: July 02, 2011, 10:14:07 AM

I picked up Darksiders, Magika, and Hoard

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #91 on: July 02, 2011, 10:24:46 AM

I would buy Darksiders, but it's a part of the THQ pack, and I intend to purchase that at the end of the sale.

I'll probably cave later in the day and buy Magicka Complete.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #92 on: July 02, 2011, 10:33:52 AM

Might buy Darksiders for 5 bucks, anyone know much about it?

I enjoyed it on the console. It is the same style gameplay as Ocarina of Time or the Windwaker, but with skulls and guns. I really liked it. Controls on the PC might be a bit funky, but thats just a guess.

Totally worth $5 if you like that sort of gameplay.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: July 02, 2011, 10:50:16 AM

I thought Darksiders was ok. I liked it at first, but it just got to be too much of a hassle. If you do play it, I recommend doing it at the easiest setting and breezing your way through.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:05 AM

Fable 3 is tempting.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #95 on: July 02, 2011, 11:00:21 AM

Passing on today. Already own BF2, magicka, PvZ, didn't like hoard or darksiders. Super meat boy is just frustration in video game form.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #96 on: July 02, 2011, 11:26:59 AM

I also would like to post this in the "old CRPGs" thread, but hey, no problem:

- Eschalon I (Euro 3,74) and Eschalon II (it's a sequel...Euro 4,99) are now heavily discounted on Steam for the summer sale. There is also a free demo of Eschalon I and you can check out the manuals as well, of course.

Store page:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25600/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: July 02, 2011, 12:38:29 PM

Battlefield bad company 2 $7.50
AvP $4.99
Fable 3 $24.99
Darksiders $4.99
Plants v Zombies $3.39
Bioshock 2 $4.99
Magicka $3.39
Football Manager 2011 $9,99
HL2 Ep2 $5.39
Super Meatboy $7.49
Hoard $2.99
Resident Evil 5 $14.99

I'm seeing Battlefield at $5.00 and HL2 Ep. 2 at $1.99.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: July 02, 2011, 01:05:47 PM

- Eschalon I (Euro 3,74) and Eschalon II (it's a sequel...Euro 4,99) are now heavily discounted on Steam for the summer sale. There is also a free demo of Eschalon I and you can check out the manuals as well, of course.

Yep those are the US prices too.    Definitely picking up Book 2 at that.   The first one was so good I almost feel guilty buying the 2nd at only 5 bucks.  Man you really have to use search a lot on this sale.   These two were not on sale earlier when I checked.  I've seen a LOT of stuff heavily discounted (penny arcade games were only like 1.20).

Anyone played Hoard?  How many hours would I get out of it really?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #99 on: July 02, 2011, 01:10:48 PM

Picked up 4 copies of SW:BF2 to de-disc it, since it's a game friends still like to play local co-op-style MP against bots now and then, plus an extra as a gift for one of them. Would have gotten HOMMV to de-disc mine, but the discount's just not deep enough. Also Garry's Mod. Because wtf.

Anyone got a link to the KOTOR hacks for Win7-64

Now I'll probably buy Magika complete. Maybe 2 copies so I can co-op it with the wife.

I was about to go for Bioshock 2 at $5, but then I decided to check for AIDS:
Initial installation requires one-time internet connection; Ability to save game, earn achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE; software installations required including Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries, Games for Windows LIVE client, Games for Windows LIVE Client Patch, Sony DADC SecuROM,

It's still pretty infected.  Ohhhhh, I see.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: July 02, 2011, 01:27:06 PM

I'll throw in my hat for Darksiders. It has an RPG-style upgrade system for your weapons, and has a slightly bigger emphasis on combat. But otherwise, it's Zelda in a modern setting with HD graphics.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #101 on: July 02, 2011, 01:28:14 PM

Appreciate the heads up on Eschalon.  I spotted them about a year ago and thought they'd be perfect for me, but decided to wait until I had more time and then completely forgot about them.  Definitely grabbing both at that price.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #102 on: July 02, 2011, 01:32:38 PM

I found hoard boring after an hour. You can try the demo of it.

Here's my list of shit I'm probably going to buy on the last day, cribbed from reading the steam SA thread, this place, and others. I already own the telltale pack and spacechem as of yesterday, and shatter from previous sales.

Frozen synapse
portal 2
spacechem
space empires 4 (5?)
Divinity II: Ego Draconis

penny-arcade adventures

AI War: Fleet command

gratuitous space battles

Disciples 2 is freakin' great tbs game

Eschalon: Book I

Zen Bound 2 - $1 - A very pretty, relaxing puzzle game, great for wind-downs after play sessions of very intense games (and for when you're  ).

The Maw "Mawsome Pack" - $3 - Pretty much a Pixar movie in game form. It'll only last you a couple hours, max, but it's an unforgettable experience.

Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please! pack - $1.25 - The most hilarious modern adventure games out there. Get them if you're even remotely interested in classic LucasArts adventures or British humor.

Madballs In... Babo: Invasion - $2.50 - A more-than-competent 3rd-person shooter with a robust online mode. Plus, fucking madballs.

Hammerfight - $2.50 - 2D physics-steampunk-flying-machine-bashing game. I know that sounds weird but seriously get this shit.

Stubbs The Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse - $2.50 - You are a zombie named Stubbs. You must kill everyone, eat their brains, and add to your zombie horde. Originally an Xbox 1 game, but don't let that stop you.

NyxQuest Kindred Spirits - $2.50 - A puzzle-platformer based loosely on Greek mythology that makes great use of keyboard and mouse controls. It's also short, but it's cheap.

Frozenbyte Pack - $7.50 - Includes three games. If you find the Alien Shooter games too button-mashy, then the Shadowgrounds isometric shooters are your antidote. Also includes Trine, a wonderful Lost Vikings-style 2D puzzle-platformer.

The Longest Journey + Dreamfall - $6.24 - About three bucks and change each for two of the best "serious" adventure games ever created. Just make sure you have a tolerance for long cutscenes.

Shatter - $2.50 - You like Arkanoid, right? 'Course ya do! Well, have some Arkanoid on crack.

Children of the Nile Pack - $3.12: Tilted Mill is a solid city builder developer and Children of the Nile is an entirely competent Caesar/Pharoh clone. Maybe the best deal right now if you like historical city builder sims. Scratch that, Tropico Reloaded is currently the best deal in this category, but Children of the Nile is a good game for a really cheap price.

I know it's been said in past sales but whenever the Telltale pack is on sale it's always an incredible deal.

Back to the Future: The Game Is better then any BTTF4 movie will ever be.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:34:28 PM by bhodi »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #103 on: July 02, 2011, 01:48:55 PM

Aside from the endless stream of $5 indie games, I can't find enough stuff to fill up my wishlist with. Between my 360's titles and previous Steam sales, I've struggled to find 10 games to put on it. And that's with Magika, Magika: Vietnam and Trine all added - all of which I'm likely to buy before the sale ends. Hell, I even put Black Ops up there to take up a slot.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 02, 2011, 02:00:35 PM

Thats quite an impressive list Bhodi

At the end of this I hope to have

Fallout New Vegas (probably only if it goes on further sale)

Civ 5 DLC (regardless)

Anything else is firmly in the impulse buy range for me.  Decided against Darksiders for today, but anything that goes into the 5 dollar and under range I'm at least considering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Summer Sale 2011  
Jump to: