Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:37:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Webcomic thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Webcomic thread  (Read 120920 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 09:49:02 AM

I didn't mention Girl Genius because it's been mentioned previously.. but in "The Webcomics" thread, I guess that was kind of foolish. Yes, great strip so consider that a 2nd from me.   The illustrator should also be well-known by those who had Dragon magazine back in the early 80s.  It's Phil Foglio who did, "What's New with Phil & Dixie"

FANS I /was/ a fan off until the author stopped writing it a few years back and put it behind a pay wall because he'd gotten a TV gig and thought he was too big a deal to just give his work away for free.   Plus the whole idea got really wacked as this collection of geeks turned into the world's most awesome international/ interdimensional super-spies.   Ric just isn't that smart or believalbe as the super-genius tactician he's portrayed as when that all starts up.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 11:26:45 AM

I'm pretty sure half or more of the illustration in GG is done by Kaja Foglio actually. (Her style is pretty similar to his in any case.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 11:41:58 AM

I start every workday at Dinosaur comics. It works for me. I know its gonna be a good day when the devil shows up.

www.qwantz.com

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:36:01 PM by Bann »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 12:05:25 PM

I'm pretty sure half or more of the illustration in GG is done by Kaja Foglio actually. (Her style is pretty similar to his in any case.)

She does the final detailing and coloring, I believe.  Since she's been in and out of the hospital a few times over the last couple of months he's put up non-colored & detailed pages when she wasn't able to work.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 05:47:30 PM

Something I stumbled over recently was Gunnerkrigg Court (www.gunnerkrigg.com), which I have really enjoyed.  The art goes through some pretty heavy evolution during the first 5-10 chapters, and I think it improves a bunch.  It's a long format story and benefits from starting at the beginning.

I really enjoyed Narbonic (www.narbonic.com), another fine Mad-Science themed comic, though Shaenon's artwork is really really rough especially in the first year or two.  I happened upon it midway through, went back and picked up the beginning later, and followed until the end.  She did a fantastic job of doing a 4 panel daily with a joke or two in every strip that also is a 6 year long-form comic (broken into a bunch of major stories).  Currently it's re-running as the "director's cut" with commentary, but you can read the whole original archive front to back if you want.  The commentary does contain story spoilers at times.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 06:48:41 PM

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 07:46:00 PM

Something I stumbled over recently was Gunnerkrigg Court (www.gunnerkrigg.com), which I have really enjoyed.  The art goes through some pretty heavy evolution during the first 5-10 chapters, and I think it improves a bunch.  It's a long format story and benefits from starting at the beginning.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Oh well, your description is much more detailed any way.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 10:43:36 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Oh well, your description is much more detailed any way.

Doh, completely missed your post somehow!

GC reminds me a lot of Sandman in that it borrows existing myths and mythical figures and shapes them into its own version for its world.  Lots of subtle hints and foreshadowing along the way, and the world, while strange in many ways, seems to have its own internal consistency. 

+1 to John Allison.  I enjoyed ScaryGoRound massively and BrokenMachinery has been good stuff.  It's especially fun watching him play with different art styles over the years, going from all-digital to hand drawn and back several times, adjusting along the way.  Also, John writes fantastic dialogue.   I just love the way his characters talk to each other.

DresdenCodak is perhaps the pinnacle of just utterly amazing art (especially his insane landscapes) and even more insane (ly slow) update rate.

Evan Dahm delivers the epic long-form tales in Rice Boy (http://www.rice-boy.com/see/), Order of Tales (http://www.rice-boy.com/order/), and Vattu (http://www.rice-boy.com/vattu/).  I didn't find OoT quite as engaging as Rice Boy, but Vattu is taking things back to pretty epic levels of story telling and awesome color work:
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 03, 2011, 09:49:12 PM

Though frequently disturbing, Oglaf is awesome.
One of the best cartoon artists I've ever seen. The stylization is amazing.

The content... ACK!

My wife happened to wander by as I was perusing Oglaf, I thought it was awesome, she just thinks I am even more disturbed than she originally estimated.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 12:47:50 PM

This thread is disappointing.  I just want to click on a thread and read some comics.  Now I have to go all crazy and click on links.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 01:28:46 PM

It's not a real webcomic until you start clicking on the archive buttons and an hour disappears.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 06:21:25 AM

It's not a real webcomic until you start clicking on the archive buttons and an hour disappears.

Exactly. Someone mentioned Something Awful above - I haven't looked at it in almost a year, because every time I do I end up wasting two hours of what should have been "work" time.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 09:54:21 AM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 01:12:01 PM

Ok, for some odd reason I laughed out loiud at this one:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=119#comic

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 01:15:49 PM

With SMBC don't forget to mouse over the red button for a bonus punchline.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:20 PM

Another forum I read linked to one I'd never heard of before today - The Oatmeal (language is somewhat NSFW).  This one and this one too entertained me, sifting through more now.

An old favorite of mine that runs on and off is FLEM.  Not safe for work, significant others, or anyone with any taste whatsoever - but J. Grant does understand Texas heat and humidity (and apparently now tech support as well).   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #51 on: May 20, 2013, 06:55:39 AM

PBF is drawing again, btw.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #52 on: May 20, 2013, 10:04:39 AM

This is a thing of beauty:

How to suck at your religion.

Teaser:

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 20, 2013, 11:37:20 AM

I don't think they had to straw man the actual beliefs and philosophies of christians to make it funny. Especially as it invalidates it as something I can send to taunt actual christians.

My mother decided a couple weeks ago to have the Jesus talk with me. It didn't go well. For her. "I wish I could debate things, you seem to think of everything and I just can't keep up." No kidding.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 11:59:26 AM

Faith avoids reason by definition, so one of you is doing it wrong.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 12:11:08 PM

Yep, it's why I don't bring up the subject. I feel really bad that she's going to die thinking I'm abandoning her for eternity and will suffer forever in fire despite leading a good life. Thanks, religion!

To lighten it up, for fun try mentally exchanging the word 'Faith' for 'Bacon' in your next discussion or debate about theology.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 12:52:49 PM

I like telling people to rephrase without using the word "should".  That pisses off some people quite a bit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 02:00:11 PM

Jews on Bikes panel was funny.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #58 on: May 20, 2013, 02:55:05 PM

I'm newish to the Oatmeal.  It's an amazingly funny experience. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 05:08:38 AM

I dunno, I would call that one more ranty than funny. And I'm an agnostic, so it doesn't touch me on a sensitive part.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 06:15:45 AM

I dunno, I would call that one more ranty than funny. And I'm an agnostic, so it doesn't touch me on a sensitive part.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 06:58:26 AM

I think you've discovered the Oatmeal.  Apparently that's a large chunk of what it's about. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:41 PM

I'm an atheist, but I hate calling myself an atheist because it means I have to deal with people who think I'm throwing my lack of religion in their face. I'd much rather pretend that whole sphere of society doesn't exist at all.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52:36 PM

I'm an atheist, but I hate calling myself an atheist because it means I have to deal with people who think I'm throwing my lack of religion in their face. I'd much rather pretend that whole sphere of society doesn't exist at all.
I'm pretty much an ignostic which seems to piss off both the believers and the atheists why so serious?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 02:16:20 PM

I'm an atheist, but I hate calling myself an atheist because it means I have to deal with people who think I'm throwing my lack of religion in their face.

I hear you.  I hate getting asked about it.  "Where do you go to church," is always a treat. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #65 on: June 26, 2013, 02:14:06 PM

Wow.  PvP has gotten really, really shitty.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #66 on: June 26, 2013, 02:41:43 PM

Wow.  PvP has gotten really, really shitty.   Ohhhhh, I see.
PvP has gotten really, really shitty.

PvP has gotten really, really shitty.

PvP has gotten really

PvP has gotten

has gotten

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #67 on: June 26, 2013, 02:51:18 PM

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #68 on: June 26, 2013, 03:25:30 PM

Isn't this the webcomic thread?   Ohhhhh, I see.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #69 on: June 26, 2013, 03:30:25 PM

Oh, I was commenting on the grammar bullshit. 

PVP has been awful since.. I can't remember the last time it was good.  Does he even write gaming strips anymore?

-Rasix
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Webcomic thread  
Jump to: