Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:30:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: I'm bored and want a coding project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm bored and want a coding project  (Read 7882 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

on: June 24, 2011, 04:02:38 PM

This probably belongs in the Game Development forum, but I'm going to toss it out here:

I'm bored and want a coding project. I've played around with Google App Inventor, which is neat enough I suppose but I can't think up anything terribly exciting. Plus, the interface and development structure just isn't making me tingle.

I've had a hankering to actually play with and learn the basics of modern graphics -- basically either dick around the guts of it (like use OpenGL and build something interesting, if simple, from scratch) or grab a decent open-source engine and build something semi-Game-like.

I've basically two rough ideas, enough so that I'm thinking about them and might scope them out and see how far I can get before I want a real life back. Both are inspired by Dwarf Fortress, honestly and perhaps a bit of Minecraft. I've dwarves on the brain.

The first is basically a simple terrain generator. I liked the whole 'world generation' bit at the start of Dwarf Fortress and was considering trying to generate a sizeable area (randomly, procedurely, haven't worked that out) and then once I've generated it, aged it (you know, adding in river patterns and whatnot), turn that into a 3D world (skins, whatnot) to wander in. No gameplay, just a moveable camera in a sizeable area.

The other is to take a graphics engine (I was thinking maybe Esenthel?) and take the OTHER part of Dwarf Fortress I liked -- which was building lairs -- and try a very simple Sims Dwarf. (Ridiculously simple). You know, 2-D layout that gets turned into a 3-D 'Fortress' you can walk about in. That I mgiht add more stuff to that would make it a bit more 'gamey'.

I just want to learn one or both of them, how they work and how they're used, and the best way for me to learn that sort of thing is to, well, try something interesting. Success or failure isn't really the issue, and I don't plan on doing anything other than seeing if I can make it work. Or semi-work.

Anyone have any suggestions? Like "I don't think you realize how difficult that is, how about trying something simpler like X instead?" :)

Edited to add: My other idea was, basically, "I wonder if I can create a 3.5 character generator?  Or maybe a simpler version, simplify combat a lot, and then create an evolutionary algorithm to min-max it for me? Hmmmm...."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 04:05:32 PM by Morat20 »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:21:24 PM

Want to write my zombie MMO for me?   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:20:07 PM

Want to write my zombie MMO for me?   awesome, for real
Most of the work is done. They called it "Left 4 Dead". They just need to expand the multiplay a bit.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 03:39:53 PM

Tempted to dig out my design for that card game...

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:45:12 AM

FYI, I think I settled on "fucking around with Panda3D". I was also going to learn Python, and then decided I already know C++ and just moved to a new job that swapped me from "web developer" back to "applications developer" (in C++) and the double practice would probably make work easier.

Plus, I still might try to make a simple 3D engine myself.

Also, I think I love Eclipse. Haven't gotten to put it through it's paces to compare it to Visual Studio 2010 on C++, but looking forward to seeing how it runs.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:48:42 AM by Morat20 »
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:26:22 AM

UOX3 needs coders Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:44:45 PM

UOX3 needs coders Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Let me play with this before I start offering to help out other people. I may loathe it or suck at it. :) Admittedly, that's sort of the whole point of projects like this. It *sounds* fun to me, I'm not aiming to sell a product or anything. I just want to screw around with the stuff that "Makes games happen". I want to know what it's like behind the curtain, so to speak.

Plus, it's just ridiculously cool in general. I still get the warm fuzzies when I make software do something clever.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:19:58 PM

any reason not to check out HTML5 and <canvas>?   there is work ongoing to port OpenGL to the Web for 3d.

If you are looking for something compiled, Ogre might also be worth playing with.  BW may have some suggestions.

Edit: URLs
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:46:15 PM by Soln »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 10:24:04 AM

I'll look into them both. The reason I made the original post was I have no idea what's out there. My expertise in development is science and engineering based applications (some web, some not). The most complex graphics we do is called "a graph".

I don't know game development or 3D graphics or engines or any of that. (One reason I wanted to learn). The selling point on Panda3D was that it was open-source and professional quality, giving me a limited feel on what the real deal gets to see and do. (Obviously not any of their custom tools, classes, and sadly not their art department....)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 10:32:21 AM

WebGL is likely dead in the water.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:58:40 AM

One of my friends who works at Opera seems insistent that WebGL is here for good.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 12:05:27 PM

Not if the security issues are not addressed, and, hate to say it, Microsoft supports it. It will got the way of VML , VRML and the like.

Its very much the next version of VML with all the exploit-ability of activeX.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:07:21 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 12:21:31 PM

His argument was that security issues be damned, game developers want to use 3d in web browsers so it will come to adoption by brute force if needed.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 12:31:35 PM

There are much more robust options for that.

Time will tell.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 12:47:34 PM

I'm not an expert but I'm not sure what else is out there that will play with HTML5 and get people the 3d shineh they want.  Good links BW, thanks.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 12:51:46 PM

In HTML5? Not much. However many, many engines now have web players as a packaging option, there are also older mainstays like flash and the like. While getting users to install XYZ plugin they don't already have is a hassle, is normally a more secure environment with the added bonus of an opt-in. Even Google, who supports web3D had a competitor plug-in. Firefox has disabled support in 5.0. You have to manually enable it now.

The problem with anything being handled by the browser level, and not by a plugin, is getting browser venders to adopt it, security issues fall in behind that is not out right block it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:00:54 PM by Mrbloodworth »

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 01:11:51 PM

There are much more robust options for that.

Time will tell.

No there won't.  WebGL's security issues stem from allowing web pages to send opengl commands to your pc, and that buggy 3d graphics drivers can allow for security issues.  There's no easy way to work around that.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 02:06:17 PM

"No there won't."  what?

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 02:23:51 PM

I should stop posting today.  Misread what I quoted as you saying there will be more robust options.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 12:51:57 PM

One of my friends who works at Opera seems insistent that WebGL is here for good.
Did anyone else chuckle at someone from Opera predicting what's going to become popular?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 01:08:51 PM

Did anyone else chuckle at someone from Opera predicting what's going to become popular?

Oh trust me, the irony didn't escape me as I wrote it, or when I first read him talking about it :P
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: I'm bored and want a coding project  
Jump to: