Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:11:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2012  (Read 49726 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 12:29:33 AM

Most of the fights are basically 'going through the motions' is the thing these days.

For every legitimate fight, their are half a dozen that happen because 'welp we are down 3 goals better do "something" now!'.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 04:05:42 AM

For every legitimate fight, their are half a dozen that happen because 'welp we are down 3 goals better do "something" now!'.

That's a big part of why I think it's irritating.  But then again I don't like deliberate violence either.  Boxing and MMA are pretty barbaric, in my opinion. 
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 06:34:53 AM

Even most fans of fighting in hockey don't support the "orchestrated" "rally our team" type fights. You take fighting out completely though, and you'll see it replaced by cheapshots and slashes instead. I'm all for it when its part of the natural flow of a game.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 06:56:15 AM

I've seen much more dangerous incidents from pucks to the face than fights in my decade+ of watching the sport before the strike.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 07:00:08 AM

My (limited) experience watching hockey with my brother-in-law has demonstrated that 99.9% of hockey fights are like a bad cat fight with hair pulling and shirts over heads and other nonsense.  Then there's the 0.1% of fights that are some of the more brutal, bloodthirsty shit you can see.  I suppose I understand about the cheap shots, but that could be remedied as well, with suspensions if necessary.  Hockey is a violent sport, similar to american football, but at least then it's usually in the flow of the game. 
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 09:06:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8rCFe6VdPs

That's a 'proper' fight, for the right reason.

Write up on that moment: http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2008/11/clark-mcsorley.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:12:50 PM by Fordel »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 07:19:16 AM

I suppose that is a good reason to fight, but if you're going to go stick up for your guy you should have a better showing than that.   ACK!
WayAbvPar

Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 08:35:35 AM

Saw that one live...what a war.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 08:44:36 AM

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 10:03:36 AM

Bananas.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 01:14:48 PM

I immediately think of the darkies when I see bananas.  I guess I don't get it. 
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 02:30:40 PM

I suppose that is a good reason to fight, but if you're going to go stick up for your guy you should have a better showing than that.   ACK!

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/10/mcsorley-black-eye.html  Ohhhhh, I see.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 22, 2011, 09:27:27 AM

You guys hear about this Crosby kid? Looks like he might be something good one day.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
WayAbvPar

Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 09:51:01 AM

I don't know- it is pretty hard to play good hockey with every sports journalist in the country attached to your genitals by their lips.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 11:44:34 AM

Seriously though, for all the God damn hype he gets, he DOES live up to it.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #50 on: November 22, 2011, 11:57:26 AM

They need to protect that kid if hockey wants to be relevant this season.

Now or never. The NBA is completely fucking this up, and NHL is going to be the only real game in town.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #51 on: December 09, 2011, 11:53:29 PM

Crazy season so far - how about this crazy alignment? Atlantic division us just going to get Even More Difficult

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 14, 2011, 09:00:32 AM

Crazy season so far - how about this crazy alignment? Atlantic division us just going to get Even More Difficult

I don't feel real passionate about it either way.  I think the 4 way bracket thing in the playoffs could be interesting.
WayAbvPar

Reply #53 on: December 14, 2011, 09:40:26 AM

They really need to name the 4 conferences the old division names. Smythe 4 Lyfe, yo!

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #54 on: December 16, 2011, 01:51:15 PM

So...this is the Year of the Concussion, right?

Pronger AND Giroux? FFS  swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WayAbvPar

Reply #55 on: December 16, 2011, 02:35:48 PM

Hard to feel any sympathy for Pronger. He has been a cheapshot artist his entire career.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 17, 2011, 06:33:55 PM

Relevant? : http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/11/nhl-suspensions.html

Dammit Pronger!  why so serious?

Still lots of hockey left, but the Leafs have managed to play down to expectations and work themselves out of a playoff spot slowly.  cry

WayAbvPar

Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 10:54:10 AM

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #58 on: January 10, 2012, 06:28:27 AM

Marchand gets five games for clipping Salo. Shockingly well explained by the NHL here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610834

Watch that, then go read the Bruins GM's comments that Marchand was trying to protect himself. (from a guy who's never had a fight or suspension in his 15 year career)  swamp poop

WayAbvPar

Reply #59 on: January 10, 2012, 08:36:01 AM

The Bruins are a classless organization. They fit the majority of their fan base well.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 08:41:41 AM

Marchand gets five games for clipping Salo. Shockingly well explained by the NHL here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610834

Thanks for that video.  I have a friend that coaches youth hockey and he found that to be good as a potential instructional tool. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:17 AM

They going to do that for all suspensions now?

I hope they do, it really puts a lot of these retarded 'debates' to rest about what or why someone was suspended.

-edit-

Specifically, when they show the dude punching the guy in the back of the head just before the hit. That pretty much shuts most people up.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:02:42 AM by Fordel »

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 10:02:57 AM

I think Shanny has been doing that for all suspensions since the beginning of the season. It's pretty cool.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 10:05:40 AM

Really how any and all sport suspensions should be handled. Really takes the guess work and media/public interpretation of a reaction and gives you the line on how the rules committee saw the infraction and why it came to its conclusion. Unlike other sports where they lock the doors and do who knows what.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:03 AM

After watching the video and reading the definition of clipping they gave, isn't that just a hip check? You can see tons of video of similar hip checks where the player is upended and there are no penalties let alone suspensions.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17:12 AM

After watching the video and reading the definition of clipping they gave, isn't that just a hip check? You can see tons of video of similar hip checks where the player is upended and there are no penalties let alone suspensions.

I thought a hip check was mid thigh and not below the knee.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 10, 2012, 10:19:51 AM

It's the height at which you do the check that is the issue I think.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 10, 2012, 10:26:01 AM

It's almost as if it was a failed hip check and his shoulder ended up making the check. The height to me looks fine, it was above the knee.

WayAbvPar

Reply #68 on: January 10, 2012, 10:39:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2WHmijaPRw

Those are hip checks. Notice how they bend at the waist, and don't bend their knees? Also notice that the recipient of the check either has the puck, or has just passed it? Also notice that almost all of them hit the guy in the front or side of his legs, and not in the back of the knees?

Now watch the Marchand hit again.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #69 on: January 10, 2012, 11:22:46 AM

It wasn't straight on to the knee, but it was no more than a few inches above it. Hip checks contact the hip. Salo turned part way at the last second to avoid having his knee blown out, and ended up with his ass going over Marchand's back. A proper hip check would have caught him in the ass, not a foot below it.

Yes, some of the "old-time" hip checks would probably now get called clipping, as if you go too low, it gets very dangerous, especially to the knees. Salo has a concussion because he turned and went over Marchand backwards. If he hadn't turned, he might not be walking.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2012  
Jump to: