Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:07:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Newbie - Please Don't Pod Me 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie - Please Don't Pod Me  (Read 25622 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

on: June 22, 2011, 08:10:33 PM

So I finally broke down and am trying this out.  I'm a true newbie here.

For the moment I'm not worried about the most efficient way to level or any of that.  I'll mess around and see what I like, but I figure I should at least go about setting myself a goal so I have a little direction.  I also know there's probably not a ship that uses all of these, but I'd like to focus on Drones, Lasers, and Shields.  What ships combine those to a reasonable extent?  I'll just be doing missions initially while I learn the in-and-outs, so it only has to be survivable, not the most awesome thing around.

Once I'm more comfortable with the game I'll worry about being cutting-edge.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:44:44 PM

Join the channel 'f13', get tips.  This game sucks if you try to play it by yourself.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:50:03 PM

Drone ships are the specialty of Gallente though they're generally more meaningful on larger ships and in a PvE context. The Gallente weapon is intended to be hybrid turrets but since they sort of suck you can readily put lasers on them.

That said, do the tutes (free ships and skillbooks!), idle in f13 channel and come join us when you feel ready. Eve without the politics and intrigue is a fairly dull game after a while.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:07:16 PM

I have two friends playing that are in a small corp, but I'll join the f13 channel for tips.

Gallente ships look ugly from the few I've seen.  I guess I'll have to look at them and see if there are any I like once in.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:21:49 PM

Amarr are about the only ships that use lasers I think, but most Amarr ships are armor not shields.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:29:05 PM

Gallente ships look ugly from the few I've seen.  I guess I'll have to look at them and see if there are any I like once in.

I agree entirely. Fortunately I hate pets so it worked out well.

- Simond
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:32:29 PM

Join the channel 'f13', get tips. bug Sam to answer a constant stream of questions. This game sucks if you try to play it by yourself.

Made some changes for emphasis.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 02:13:32 AM

What's your toon's name? I'll log in to and give you shit.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 03:15:14 AM

Amarr have some drone boats as well.  The arbitrator is a surprisingly good tech 1 cruiser.

Go Amarr over Gallente.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 03:40:47 AM

Gallente ships look ugly from the few I've seen.  I guess I'll have to look at them and see if there are any I like once in.

Unfortunately every ship in the game is ugly outside of Amarr.

Also post your character name to receive isk.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 05:01:08 AM

What's your toon's name? I'll log in to and give you shit.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Trigona
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 05:37:35 AM

I think it takes a few months to get a character that is good fun, although there is lots of content for a newbie.  My advice is to pick a ship you want for PvE and concentrate on the skills required to fly it with the appropriate modules.  There is lots of info on various forums about the best way to fit any ship.  Once you have a PvE ship that makes you isk, then concentrate on a PvP ship using the same technique.

Excellent PvE ships include Ishtar (drones ftw), dominix (drones again) and Tengu (probably the best all rounder).  Drakes are a useful pit stop on the way to a Tengu and can be used in 0.0 to good effect.  I hate doing PvE with an underpowered ship, I would aim to get in a Drake as fast as possible and start blitzing missions

The worst mistake a new player makes imo is not being focused and wasting time on skills that are not on the "critical" path.  

You actually have the option to join Bat Country (probably, although it's not my decision).  This is really really good.  Bat Country are PvP focused and will look after you as a newbie.  The goons (which BAT are a part of) supply skill books, ships and lots of advice, they even have a 60 day training scheme which will create a useful character.  I would join them sooner rather than later if I had the choice.

One good skill to have in 0.0 is salvaging in a destroyer - a good way to make isk.  As soon as you can do that I would apply to join.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 05:56:37 AM

One of the unfortunate realities of Eve is the designers are more concerned with walking in stations and nerfing jump bridges to tend to anything like... balance. So while you may be attracted to a certain race, it's a game where minmaxing (or perhaps better put Minmatar-maxing) is virtually necessary.

I'd train for a Rifter and join BAT.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 07:26:48 AM

The worst mistake a new player makes imo is not being focused and wasting time on skills that are not on the "critical" path.  

I tend to differ. While you are in empire it's worth exploring lots of parts of the game and training up a bunch of stuff to experiment. The stuff that takes massive amounts of time to train is level V and especially level V of skills that will come later. In the meantime train up some industry skills and build something, shoot an asteroid, play with the different weapon systems. You won't know what you want to focus on initially and waiting makes early eve boring.

That said, a good ratting boat is going to be funding everything else :)

- Simond
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 07:42:01 AM

Never stop flying Rifters.    They're ridiculously fun.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 07:56:48 AM

Hurricanes are hilarious for podkillings. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 08:19:27 AM

I tend to differ. While you are in empire it's worth exploring lots of parts of the game and training up a bunch of stuff to experiment. The stuff that takes massive amounts of time to train is level V and especially level V of skills that will come later. In the meantime train up some industry skills and build something, shoot an asteroid, play with the different weapon systems. You won't know what you want to focus on initially and waiting makes early eve boring.
I'm an explorer by heart, so while I may have a couple of areas I focus on, I will dabble in other areas.  That'll keep me interested.

Kylantha Fulgens.  Mimitar (the tinkers appealed to me).

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:55 AM

This game sucks if you try to play it by yourself.

Made some changes for emphasis.

Honestly, it's not much better when you play it with others either.  The forum?  Those can be fun.  Vent?  That can be a blast.  Heck, even chat has it's moments.  But the game itself?  Not so much.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 09:31:35 AM

Watching videos of other people flying around in EVE gives me more entertainment per min than anything I ever did in Eve, save the few Bat Country "let's kill random people" events I went on.

I don't even bother to login when they send me free time anymore, and I used to do that just to ooh and ahh at my ships.  They're very pretty, too bad anything fun requires huge time sinks.  (And yes, refitting a ship is a time sink.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 10:28:55 AM

Kylantha Fulgens.  Mimitar (the tinkers appealed to me).

If i'm online ill be in the f13 channel and will gladly answer any questions I can. Ether Morfiend Va or Alex Vaunt.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 01:11:25 PM

Sure.  Tip question one, is how do I get into the f13 chat channel?

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 02:09:52 PM

Sure.  Tip question one, is how do I get into the f13 chat channel?

If you look to your chat window. Top right of the window there should be a little white chat bubble looking button, click that, then it will open a new window, in that window type "f13" then click the button that says Join.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 02:41:17 PM

The only thing I would keep in mind with training for the Arbiter, is it can be a 'dead end' for a drone user. Amarr doesn't have any other frames that run drones outside of the Arby and it's T2 spin offs. I seriously doubt you'll actually play that long for it to matter, but it's a consideration.

Other wise the only two realistic drone boat options are the Arbiter (Amarr) and the Vexor (Gallente), both are affordable cruisers that are amazingly flexible and will easily carry you through most any activity you'd want to do in your first few months.

The two ships are virtually identical, the key differences are the Hybrid Turret bonus on the Vexor and it's four turret slots, compared to a disruptor bonus on the Arby (which you won't care about for awhile probably) and it's two turret slots and 1 missile slot. The Vexor is going to be a better miner and put out more damage with the right guns, but the arby will let you fiddle with a little of everything EVE has to offer ship wise, something your snowflake nature will love   Ohhhhh, I see.

One thing to note, is both Amarr and gallente ships usually favor armor tanks, instead of shield tanks, but you should be able to make a shield tank work on the Arby since it has an extra Mid slot. Still probably better as an armor tank though, lasers + shields on a ship without bonuses for either might over tax your capacitor.

If you intend to go into bigger ships, the big drone boats are the Myrmidon and the Dominix

If you intend to stay in the smaller classes, then you'll be looking at the Tech2 frames for the Arby and Vexor, which are very very expensive last I checked.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 08:43:16 PM

I don't know how much ships have changed since I gave the game a try years ago, but the most fun I had while playing was flying my little Ishkur.  Basically a Vexor in a much more nimble frigate shell.  It would take a lot longer to train for, though. 

I also had a passive shield tanked Myrmidon, which was basically a Gallente ghetto version of a Drake that killed things with drones instead of missiles.  It was slow and boring but with small lasers on the hardpoints (because I hated dealing with ammo, the small ones didn't hurt the passive tank and they were only there to kill frigates anyway) it could run any mission except for the harder level 4s pretty easily.  At least it could a few years ago.

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 10:11:45 PM

The Ishkur is a rad little frigate that can handle a surprising amount of content, but it's skill requirements are probably not in reach for the time being and it costs like 4-6x's as much as a Vexor or Arby and it doesn't really handle anything that the other two couldn't. The few deadspace pockets (dungeons Lanty), that the Crusiers won't fit into, aren't going to be worth the effort for anyone flying a Ishkur either way.

It's also way more constrained in terms of drone bay and cargo space and fitting, doesn't really come into it's own until your skills really start hitting those high marks.

Under sizing the guns on the cruisers is probably a good idea either way, to help with fittings and the simple fact lvl 1 and 2 missions are 99% frigs regardless.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 12:20:52 AM

My favorite ship for the week or so I played was this one: http://eve.wikia.com/wiki/Thrasher

90% of my love for it was because the bow looked like a diesel locomotive.   But it was handy for salvaging, and I was able to get it pretty quickly.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 06:16:20 AM

So far the Slasher is fun.  It's a total newbie ship, but I like the look.  I should have a Rifter I can fit into today.  That'll hold me until I can get some of the certs I need for bigger ships and drones to play with.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 08:50:10 AM

So far the Slasher is fun.  It's a total newbie ship, but I like the look.  I should have a Rifter I can fit into today.  That'll hold me until I can get some of the certs I need for bigger ships and drones to play with.

I believe you get a free Rifter when you finish the newbie combat tutorial, but that might have changed.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 09:31:15 AM

You get a ton of free ships and skillbooks in the tutorial.  At least in the caldari one, I even got a free Cormorant.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 12:21:24 PM

The Ishkur is a rad little frigate that can handle a surprising amount of content, but it's skill requirements are probably not in reach for the time being and it costs like 4-6x's as much as a Vexor or Arby and it doesn't really handle anything that the other two couldn't. The few deadspace pockets (dungeons Lanty), that the Crusiers won't fit into, aren't going to be worth the effort for anyone flying a Ishkur either way.

It's also way more constrained in terms of drone bay and cargo space and fitting, doesn't really come into it's own until your skills really start hitting those high marks.

Under sizing the guns on the cruisers is probably a good idea either way, to help with fittings and the simple fact lvl 1 and 2 missions are 99% frigs regardless.

The Ishkur isn't about efficiency, it's about fun!  I was able to do L3s in it, when I didn't feel like sleepwalking through them on the Myrmidon.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 12:23:32 PM

I used whatever the noob-ish Caldari destroyer was (Cormorant?) which was probably terrible but looked cool.  awesome, for real

That was way before whatever the new newbie experience is now, perhaps I will give it a try at some point again.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 12:27:21 PM

All the horror stories about 0.0 being nothing but supercap blobs kills whatever small chance there was of me giving it another go.

Over and out.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 12:49:01 PM

All the horror stories about 0.0 being nothing but supercap blobs kills whatever small chance there was of me giving it another go.
It's only supercap blobs if you get into SOV slapfights, or moongoo slapfights. We've got hilarious battlecruiser roams which work just fine.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 08:26:04 PM

You get a ton of free ships and skillbooks in the tutorial.  At least in the caldari one, I even got a free Cormorant.
I've got freighters coming out of all my ports.  One crafting tutorial quest has you build a Burst, but the print can do five if you're paying attention.  So I have two Slashers, six Bursts, a Rifter, and two Wreaths.  Since I have one tutorial and the final few missions on another to go, I've probably got more ships on the way.  I qualify for the Rifter in two hours. Grin

A lot of skill books as JWIV says, too.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 08:46:07 PM

Didn't I read somewhere they got rid of the Learning skills?  If that's so, you're very lucky.

Over and out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Newbie - Please Don't Pod Me  
Jump to: