Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:44:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Summer Expansion - Incarna 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Expansion - Incarna  (Read 112290 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: May 25, 2011, 10:38:03 AM

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=914

Walking in a-small-room-making-no-contact-with-other-players.

On the upside the existing station menu is intact alongside the WoD tech demo, so the only impact is the inevitable extended loading time when you dock.The implication is that they'll only make you use the 1990s style buttons-hidden-in-furniture interface as they add new station functionality.

CCP are also claiming that the new 'walking' functionality is built on an extensible and well documented platform so they can additional functionality in future expansions. Laffo.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:48:09 AM

About time.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:55:52 AM

Add ability to be a furry or gtfo.

Hic sunt dracones.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:59:39 PM

Those bastards are trying to nerf our station spinning!
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 02:44:25 PM

The Future is Dark. And Brown! And Badly lit! I have enough money to buy a planet but I can't get the station cleaner to upgrade my light bulbs.

Pretty impressive that they are adding in a feature that makes me less want to signup again.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 03:00:34 PM

It's a "feature" that nobody wants, that nobody believes will improve the game in any way, and that is obviously sucking up a huge amount of Eve development resources for no purpose except to move the cost of developing the underlying technology from R&D for their other projects to the Eve budget.  Eve managed to dodge the bullet for a long time, but the inevitable decline has begun (it's just been plateaued for a long time before this).  Combine with the "fuck it, we'll just nerf Jumpgates" fix for what nobody thought was a problem, and this is how a game dies.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 03:05:57 PM

Walking in Closets. Also it makes the install fuckhuge.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 03:23:53 PM

Maybe a decline for Eve was inevitable.  But this isn't that decline.  This decline was self inflicted.

"Me am play gods"
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 07:03:19 PM

Maybe a decline for Eve was inevitable.  But this isn't that decline.  This decline was self inflicted.
In the end, they always are.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 06:08:30 AM

Eve managed to dodge the bullet for a long time, but the inevitable decline has begun (it's just been plateaued for a long time before this). 
--Dave

Seems someone says this almost every patch.  I think this is the first time I actually believe it.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 07:40:06 AM

It's a "feature" that nobody wants, that nobody believes will improve the game in any way, and that is obviously sucking up a huge amount of Eve development resources for no purpose except to move the cost of developing the underlying technology from R&D for their other projects to the Eve budget.

It is tech from their other game.  They had a graph at Fan Fest that showed 70%-80% of their tech is designed and built as MMO platform, (support, billing, accounts, patching, content pipeline, etc), that they will not be licensing out.

I am impressed they have 600 people working on three games, just off the income of Eve.  They want to spend tme and money on some of their own features so be it.  They already stated the future of Eve is not the players currently playing but the ones not playing and they need new features to draw them in.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 10:33:21 AM

As a game designer and businessman, it's hard to say they're making the wrong call, it long since became clear that the niche Eve occupies doesn't have any kind of explosive growth potential.  It makes sense for them to turn to other projects for their future business.  Eve's design clearly peaked with the expansion that brought in Jumpgates, although there were potential routes to move forward, either they just didn't commit the resources it would have taken to execute them, or they took a wrong turn, or they just weren't as promising as they looked, and Eve has been on a plateau of design ever since.  The sovereignty overhaul just didn't really deliver *new* gameplay, but it didn't take any away, either.  Neither did T3, or Wormhole Space, and everything else has just been fiddling in the margins.

And that's fine, and a lot of people have had a lot of fun with it in this form.  But the jumpbridge nerf was the first major step *backwards* in design, the first time they have outright thrown in the towel and said "we just don't want to deal with the complexity anymore, so we're going to simplify it whether you like it or not."  And Incarna is just fluff, it would have been a nice bit of ornamentation around the edges but as the focus of the yearly expansion (which has always meant entire new areas of gameplay being added) it's underwhelming, and becomes even less impressive the closer it gets.

Hey, it had a good run, did better than any other game of the type ever had.  And it's not going to die overnight, there will still be fleets flying around for years.  But this is the turning point, it's all downhill from here, and the days when legends stalked the jump lines and everybody had a chance to be the "first" at something are gone.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 10:48:44 AM

Wormhole space introduced new gameplay.

And incursions are the only worthwhile group pve they've ever attempted.

Both features are woefully underdeveloped ofc.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 10:56:47 AM

It's a "feature" that nobody wants, that nobody believes will improve the game in any way, and that is obviously sucking up a huge amount of Eve development resources for no purpose except to move the cost of developing the underlying technology from R&D for their other projects to the Eve budget.  Eve managed to dodge the bullet for a long time, but the inevitable decline has begun (it's just been plateaued for a long time before this).  Combine with the "fuck it, we'll just nerf Jumpgates" fix for what nobody thought was a problem, and this is how a game dies.

--Dave

No one wants to get out of the ships?

News to me. Its a main reason I don't play.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 11:23:14 AM

So walking around your captains quarters and a station will make you play?

Or is it that the game is "internet spaceships" and you don't like internet space ships, but not being a person based game is the symbol of that.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 02:48:36 PM

Plenty of people are going ape shit over how great this will apparently be.

My only particular gripe with it is the amount of developer resource being wasted on a project that has no actual gameplay even planned for it.

If the line was 'We're building an fps into eve, you play planetside as part of the station capture cycle', then I'd still think this is dangerously diluting the core game, but whatever, I can at least see the plan.

As it stands what is going to happen is that Vampires in Stations fans are going to get annoyed when they realise that this is just a buttons-in-furniture interface, and the rest of us are going to continue to get more and more irritated by the halfassed content being served up into EVE Online : A bad game about internet spaceships.

UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 03:24:25 PM

My only particular gripe with it is the amount of developer resource being wasted on a project that has no actual gameplay even planned for it.

Iterative development.  They will release something sooner rather than wait till it has full complete game play.  Much like Sony with EQ expansion raid zones from a decade ago.

Contraband trading is going to be in person only.  Once walking about is in place they will be adding more gameplay to it.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 03:26:56 PM

Wormhole space introduced new gameplay.

And incursions are the only worthwhile group pve they've ever attempted.

Both features are woefully underdeveloped ofc.
When you compare them to the massive expansion of gameplay potential that accompanied T2, or capital ships, or the original Sovereignty introduction, or jumpgates....

Eve in 2003 was a much simpler, less exciting game than Eve 2005, which had the same relationship to Eve 2007.  But Eve 2007 and Eve 2010 were very much the same, and the nerfing of jumpgates is going to make Eve 2012 more like 2005.  But you'll be able to walk around in a closet.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 04:07:44 PM

No one wants to get out of the ships?

[/quote]

Really? Methinks you looking for game that eve never was and never will be, avatars or not . If EvE had combat like in black prophecy I would sub right away.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 06:37:37 AM

So walking around your captains quarters and a station will make you play?

Or is it that the game is "internet spaceships" and you don't like internet space ships, but not being a person based game is the symbol of that.

The path to making you more than "Just a ship" is a good one. I love me some space flight games, but I am sick of just being a ship. It was cool when Wing commander was new. But even that series TRIED to make it feel like you were not just a ship. TRIED.

One of my other reasons for not playing eve is no twitch combat. But thats another topic.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:39:38 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 06:41:00 AM

The path to making you more than "Just a ship" is a good one. I love me some space flight games, but I am sick of just being a ship.

Become a bad poster. Like I did.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:43:15 AM by Gets »
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 07:10:55 AM

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=913

Microtransactions. PLEX can be turned into Aurum (latin for gold, really CCP?).
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 07:27:28 AM

Iterative development.  They will release something sooner rather than wait till it has full complete game play.  Much like Sony with EQ expansion raid zones from a decade ago.

Contraband trading is going to be in person only.  Once walking about is in place they will be adding more gameplay to it.

I don't think that will be in? And even if it was it is not gameplay so much as a bribe to use the new facility. Because they know that if they just release the "avatar spinning" expansion without it giving a benefit to gameplay people won't use it. Most games that have tried to enforce a social space do something similar (and XP boost in fallen earth, SWG Fatigue, WoW's original bonus XP).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 07:52:56 AM

I am impressed they have 600 people working on three games, just off the income of Eve.

Makes you think just how much money they are making off selling PLEX, dosent it?
Then again you have to remember that the Russian mafia started the second great war over the money they were making off RMT.

Speaking of which...

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=913

Microtransactions. PLEX can be turned into Aurum (latin for gold, really CCP?).

Hey, its even easier to sell real life cash...

Hic sunt dracones.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 07:56:51 AM

The over-riding impression that I got from CCP at the winter summit was that they had no idea how to iterate on Incarna once it was implemented. Questions about 'what sort of content will be added to give this feature value' were handwaved away. You will have 'Incarna content' which will be extremely limited in scope and then you'll leave it behind whenever you take part in the core gameplay of Eve: A Game About Flying Spaceships.

The PLEX thing I'm not surprised about at all. A single PLEX is not a very flexible unit of currency. You won't want to swap ~$12 worth of game time for an ingame hat. As long as CCP stick to their word about it being for account level services and vanity items only I don't much care about that.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 08:01:22 AM

CCP:"PLEX prices won't be affected significantly."

PLEX just went up 10%.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 10:07:36 AM

The spike is being caused by pubbie speculators. It'll overcorrect downward over the weekend in all probability (all prices in EVE fall at the weekend).

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 10:12:35 AM

Quote from: Person talking out of their ass
The problem with customizability, however, is the amount of time and resources needed to produce unique items and variations. Bear in mind that our HQ is a renovated fish processing plant, not the Wonka factory, and we're fresh out of Oompa Loompas to build these incredible things. So we're left with the question of how to give you the customizability and uniqueness you want without simply raising the subscription rate.

So, how many additional developers/artists are being hired for EVE Online : A Bad Game? Because if the answer is zero (the answer is zero), then this is a lot of bullshit.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 09:17:23 AM

I think the speculation further up the thread is right: CCP knows there's no more growth potential in EVE (at least not a significant amount). The best they can hope for is getting people to sub MORE accounts, which seems to be past it's peak as well - the only way to increase multiple subs would be to introduce "features" that require multiple accounts to use most effectively.

Why are they trying to add tech from another game into EVE? Not for EVE, it's probably so they can test the new tech for performance and bugs on a significant pool of users readily available.

Best bet for them is to release a new game with a different focus targeted at gamers that don't currently play Eve (especially those that never will due to the nature of the game).

- Viin
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 28, 2011, 09:52:29 AM

EVE 2: Tanks In Space.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 08:54:05 AM

You know what would help eve?

Allowing people to get out of ships, and adding customization options ETC....

Removal of drones and implementation of Twitch combat for the fighter sized ( AKA Drones ) ships. You can leave the spreadsheet to the cap-ship players.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 09:22:38 AM

How would this completely new game help Eve?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 09:32:56 AM

Meh, I still want boarding actions.

Failing that, I'll continue to manipulate currencies and bankroll dirty deeds.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 09:34:26 AM

Probably in a similar fashion that DUST is allegedly going to do...allow people to play a different game that impacts the other game.

Allowing people to get out of ships, and adding customization options ETC....

Removal of drones and implementation of Twitch combat for the fighter sized ( AKA Drones ) ships. You can leave the spreadsheet to the cap-ship players.
So, Jumpgate with EVE DirectX 11 coat-of-paint?  I like it Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 09:44:19 AM

For starters. It would be better. No one said anything about a completely new game.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Summer Expansion - Incarna  
Jump to: