Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:03:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: 48÷2(9+3) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 48÷2(9+3)  (Read 7276 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 05:30:31 PM

Yeah, with virtually everything (even phones, now) having gigabytes of memory and CPU's running in the gigahertz range, those old bit-math tricks to save space and cycles just aren't worth the hassles of maintenance.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #36 on: April 09, 2011, 09:11:30 PM

Masking by using bit shifting is still clear, concise, and the best way of 'unpacking' a bunch of booleans from a single integer. Though, the cases where you'd need to actually do so are very niche. I had to use it in one application where our data pipe was very, very small. I guess you could do it in general, but there's no reason to, really, with modern compilers.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 08:14:29 AM

Poorly written.  I keep thinking about / instead of ÷, and so it looked to me like 48 was over everything.  I never had to worry about left-to-right with multiplication-division too much due to well-written syntax.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 09:15:55 AM

I'm used to using bitshifting, but then I learned it from MUD programming.  The flagging systems relied heavily upon it.  Because of that I still use them in that fashion.  (Having one field in a DB instead of ten also just seems more elegant.  I probably wouldn't think so without my background though.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 09:21:36 AM

Now I think I know where I missed that one question on the civil service exam I took last week must have been.

The grammar portion?  awesome, for real

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 10:26:43 AM

It was a math test.

So shush!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 03:22:09 PM

It was a math test.

So shush!

Well, now it all adds up . . .

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 03:40:40 PM

Poorly written.  I keep thinking about / instead of ÷, and so it looked to me like 48 was over everything.  I never had to worry about left-to-right with multiplication-division too much due to well-written syntax.
Yeah, one of my first thoughts was "who uses ÷ anymore?" In a computer science-y field you write 48 / 2 * (9+3) and in a math-y field you write $\frac{48}{2}(9+3)$.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 06:36:50 AM

Masking by using bit shifting is still clear, concise, and the best way of 'unpacking' a bunch of booleans from a single integer. Though, the cases where you'd need to actually do so are very niche. I had to use it in one application where our data pipe was very, very small. I guess you could do it in general, but there's no reason to, really, with modern compilers.

Our company uses strings for fake-bitshifting lol. 

We have a database field for what valuation methods an account has activated.  It's a string that's "00X00X00X", and if it's a 0 that means that the 3rd valuation method is disabled (I still have no idea how they figure out what the 3rd is, I have a scary feeling I don't want to know) and if it's an X that means the valuation method is enabled.......
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: 48÷2(9+3)  
Jump to: