Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:42:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Darkening Deeps Tonite? 3/9/11 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Darkening Deeps Tonite? 3/9/11  (Read 9851 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: March 07, 2011, 07:24:55 AM

Anyone in their low to mid 20's in Gloamwood that's interested in running DD tonite?
I'd say (since we have a pretty large west coast contingent), meet up in Gloam around 10p.m. EST.  If it needs to be later we can hang till people get there.

So far I have only 1 quest for it but I assume you pickup more on the way in.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:48:56 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:32:54 AM

Sounds dirty.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:44:24 AM

Sounds dirty.

Group action is always dirty.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Luda
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:55:12 AM

I'm in  awesome, for real  (Athenia)
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:46:49 PM

Too late for me  cry
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:53:06 PM

Too late for me  cry

What time is good for you?

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:53:46 PM

Count me in if you can use a 27 cleric

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:00:58 PM

Weekdays i could do 8PM to 10PM EST (I get up at 5:30 AM, 10PM is about the latest this old man can do).

Thurs and the weekend I can do later.  My dps warrior (riftblade main) is 22.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 05:30:13 PM

Any use for a lv24 Necromancer (or Pyromancer)?

I should be able to get home in time for this.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 05:42:58 PM

Sure.
Hopefully we can full up so we have no PUGGERS.

Luda
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 06:31:45 PM

my computer is having a melt down...... I've restarted 5 times now.  There's a good chance I won't be able to make it.  It won't let me get past start-up. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:13:52 PM

We ALMOST had this w/o having a MT once we got to the Werewolf.  Helluva tough boss and instance as a whole once past the trash mobs.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 10:20:10 PM

I now have a justicar build for tanking too, in case we lack a proper tank next time too

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 10:36:48 PM

That was fun and educational.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 11:07:05 PM

Oh yes, I just tanked the gloamwood trees for Rool, +300% threat, +90%end, +128% armor, and I can conviction heal myself, 25% of my dmg (which is minimal) aoe heals 10 raid members, and overheal done to me heals a designated target... /drool

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 03:40:51 AM

Sorry I missed this, but I play from 8-10EST as well.  I'm going to try to get in DD tonight, would love some company other than teh puggars.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 10:47:55 PM

That was fun!  I'd do it again.

Challenging, entertaining, and maybe needs a bit of luck if your party is not optimal/overlevel, but good times for all.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 10:52:34 PM

Nerve wracking but fun.  A lot of time I just couldn't keep up with damage.  It was a damn good learning experience though. 

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 07:48:24 AM

I like how they threw some randomness into the encounters.  Each boss has its tricks, but they dont always manifest the way you think.

Nerve wracking but fun.  A lot of time I just couldn't keep up with damage.  It was a damn good learning experience though. 

Gotta be one of the more fun times to play a healer for sure.

I learned that I probably need to spec a burst damage role, maybe with some AoE too.  Control builds are useless in all these fights.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 08:15:34 AM

I think it was a smart move to have roles switchable on the fly so you can adjust to encounters.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 08:22:14 AM

Well, for the trash mobs, it sure was nice having that nice, long squirrel that wasn't broken by damage.  I think we would have been OK without it, however, and I think we needed some more DPS in spots.

Nerve wracking but fun.  A lot of time I just couldn't keep up with damage.  It was a damn good learning experience though.  

Didn't help that I was specced more for AE aggro and mob grinding, not really damage soaking. I was missing an additional 16% damage reduction on blocks and 20% when I got below 30% health (that could have helped).  New spec will be better at that, but won't hit as hard or have a small heal from my reactives (healer should be able to cover the slack  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )

We did pretty good.  Game is new, we're new, and the encounter design in DD is a lot more involved than RoF.

And yah, I'll probably have a trash/grind spec and a boss tanking spec.  2 tanking specs.. alskdfj;asdlkfja;sdflkjasdf.  Argh!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:25:31 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 09:42:31 AM

Tbh, there's a lotta things I do that you guys prob. didnt notice.  Stuff like mez-pulls, drains, attk. speed debuffs, etc.  I started laying reflective presence when casters were around, which pretty much means no one takes dmg. from casters most of the time.  Priests Lament pretty much spells doom to any mob with a heal or buff of any kind (it silences them)... which SOMETIMES the boss' had.
But, like you said... for the trash mobs they're not always necessary, especially when overleveled.  Does little more than just speed up the encounters, which is nice I guess.   This kind of stuff people never notice.

I think I'm gonna try to load up ACT next time so we can track this shit better.  My dmg. isnt bad, it's just not flashy.  Once "split personality" opens up it's a different ballgame though.

The amount of tactical choice in this DIKU is more than I've ever seen before...  people harp on it as a negative, but after playing a while I dont see why.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 09:49:01 AM

Yah, I don't notice much when tanking.  I'm just trying to make sure everything's punching me if possible. There's already too much info to really see what sort of debuffs are landing on the mobs.   Having a strong support class is something that would always be nice.  Trouble is finding people that want to play them. 

I really didn't take a lot of damage outside of the bosses.  Then the spike damage got rather high.  Do most of your abilities work on bosses?  Guess I need to take a gander at dominator abilities.

-Rasix
Luda
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 09:59:39 AM

You guys ended up doing it again last night?  Did you actually get through it all? 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 10:10:42 AM

Yah, I don't notice much when tanking.  I'm just trying to make sure everything's punching me if possible. There's already too much info to really see what sort of debuffs are landing on the mobs.   Having a strong support class is something that would always be nice.  Trouble is finding people that want to play them.  

I really didn't take a lot of damage outside of the bosses.  Then the spike damage got rather high.  Do most of your abilities work on bosses?  Guess I need to take a gander at dominator abilities.

Some work on bosses, some dont.  I had to waste a lot of time figuring it out.
Accelerated Decay was a crapshoot.  It pretty much lowers the target's attk speed by 1/3, which really helps the tank, but sometimes they were immune, sometimes not.  Sometimes if the mob self-healed, SOMETIMES priests lament would work.  And on and on.  I'd lay charge shield on you as well, which at max. ability puts 33 dmg onto a target every time they hit you.  I believe it's the only ally-castable dmg. shield mages have (unless I'm missing something).

You guys ended up doing it again last night?  Did you actually get through it all?  

Uhh naw!  We died early and just quit.   my what do we have here?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:13:12 AM by Ghambit »

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 10:16:26 AM

You guys ended up doing it again last night?  Did you actually get through it all? 

Yup.  We wiped once or twice to each of the back three bosses, but made it through without too much pain.  I think everyone was interested in going back for more runs (I know I am).  Fun fights and decent rewards.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 10:23:21 AM

I'm more than happy to tank/dps/heal/moral support DD anytime

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 10:31:34 AM

I definitely need to redo my Pyromancer role to be a bit more group/instance useful.  It was my very first role before I had all souls unlocked, and Pyromancer/Stormcaller is not optimal.  Need a secondary that provides some way of doing mana reclaim and maybe some CC (I use Stormcaller for slows/pushbacks at the moment).   
Luda
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 01:04:48 PM

That's awesome that you guys made it through with no major hitches :)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 01:48:38 PM

Wanna try to run-through again tonite Luda?

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 02:33:06 PM

I definitely need to redo my Pyromancer role to be a bit more group/instance useful.  It was my very first role before I had all souls unlocked, and Pyromancer/Stormcaller is not optimal.  Need a secondary that provides some way of doing mana reclaim and maybe some CC (I use Stormcaller for slows/pushbacks at the moment).   

For 6 points in Elementalist you get Revitalize which exchanges Charge for Mana at a very efficient rate. As long as you get an out-of-combat break to use it, you will rarely be down mana.

That said, you can also spec to 6 points in Pyromancer for Smoldering Power (and Improved Smoldering Power) which cuts the mana cost of Fire spells significantly but forces you to stick to fire spells for the mana reduction benefit. It's a little trickier approach to manage than the ease of mana for charge exchange of Revitalize, but you can use it in combat fairly effectively to manage your mana (especially in long fights).

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 07:00:47 AM

Personally, I was never a fan of revitalize as a pyro because of the out of combat requirement. As a pyro, you may as well use smoldering powder at that point since you'll want all your casted spells to be fire anyways.

With regular use of smoldering powder (improved or not) and/or improved grounding (makes your ground of power spell increase mana regen) that should normally be enough. Since the main spec is pyro, being limited to fire spells when using smoldering powder should be fine. I'd suggest trying to make sure you're always using smoldering powder and improved grounding if you aren't already (as those combined should just about take care of any mana issues, normally) and go pyro/archon for higher group utility (buffs, shield, dispel at 8 points) and a slight boost to fire damage.

If improved powder/grounding aren't enough combined (which they should be), I'd suggest a secondary soul of a warlock. 6 points in gains a 15% health to mana conversion spell with the benefit of 25% increased charge on any spell, and that leads into speccing for instant-cant spell procs through the branch talent called Opportunity. The health to mana conversion should be more than enough (even without smoldering powder/improved grounding) and a bard or chloro's AE heals cover up the little bit of damage taken during conversion.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Darkening Deeps Tonite? 3/9/11  
Jump to: