Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:12:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: UXO, WoW, or EQ2? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UXO, WoW, or EQ2?  (Read 33476 times)
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #35 on: April 07, 2004, 07:26:50 PM

Quote from: SirBruce
I don't understand the EQ2 hate because someone didn't like EQ.  EQ2 appears to be totally different in gameplay and style from EQ.

As a (nearly)5 year EQ vet, I agree...  I have no interest in EQ2, both because it'll be different, and it'll be the same.  I have no expecations of them changing anything that annoys me with EQ...  They're changing everything that keeps me IN EQ, instead.  I'll no longer have a level-maxed character, I'll no longer have the guild/friend base I do, since game-switches for guilds don't seem to go too well, imo, and it'll run even worse than EQ does on my geforce2.

My concern with WoW is precisely that this is Blizzard's first MMOG.  While a company's second MMOG is no guarantee of quality (AC2), I'm more inclined to think EQ2 and/or UXO will have sufficient content and be responsibe enough to player problems based on learning from past games.  WoW I can see really coming up short.

I agree with the person who said that Blizzard's glacial slowness in content creation may work against them...  but if what they've got is fun, I'm all for it.  I'm never in the bleeding-edge catass-brigade anyhow, character was 31 at kunark launch, did most of the 50's and 60's in planes of power, I've been on fewer than 20 ldon missions, and haven't yet bought GoD.  EQ's lost it's fun for me, mostly.  If WoW can get 'fun' right, I'll be there.

I'm a bit surprised at almost no interest in UXO, but that appears to be largely the result of a lack of pre-release buzz.

I never played UO 'till IPY...  I played on IPY for a few hours, when there were about 1500 people online.  I wasn't impressed.  Server lag was bad, graphics were bad, interface was unclear.  It didn't help that because of differences between the emulated server and live servers, none of the help docs were helpful at all...
I never played any of the Ultima series, I have no attachment to the franchise at all.  No reason to follow it.

Frankly, CoH coming out soon might pull me from EQ for a few months, what I've seen of it looks amusing.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 08, 2004, 05:13:47 AM

I'm a bit surprised at almost no interest in UXO, but that appears to be largely the result of a lack of pre-release buzz.

It has nothing to do with pre-release buzz.

It's because the game design has more in common with online Gauntlet than it has with a traditional RPG. (And because the Ultima name holds no interest for people who are looking for something other than a MMORPG).

Also because a sizable portion of people here aren't even convinced it will ever launch.

And UOX is made by EA.

And the other two have a realistic shot at coming out this year.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 08, 2004, 08:25:14 AM

All of the above are just glimmers in the eye of everyone but the few in beta of WoW.  So for me it is CoH.  It is a fun game NOW.  Should last me till the next game at least.  And it just might keep me for the long haul.  Long haul being 3+ years for me.
XplOrOrOr

Email
Reply #38 on: April 17, 2004, 10:17:30 AM

I've pretty much decided against Lineage 2, and I doubt MEO, D&DO,

Heh, as of right now UXO is out of the running. It's shoelaces are untied and it is busy retying them while EQ2 and WoW are already headed towards the finnish line.

BTW, what exactly makes you have such a dislike for Lin2?
XplOrOrOr

Email
Reply #39 on: April 17, 2004, 10:28:02 AM

Quote from: Faust
Has anyone been concidering DragonRealms?

I know very little about the game, other than they keep sending me newsletter that I don't read.

I used to play DragonRealms! It was my first ever online game right after I learned how to use the internet a few years ago.
 It is a MMORPG, but with no graphics. Kind of like a modern MUDD.
It's one of the oldest still going MUDDS/MMORPGs around.
 If you enjoy using your imagination in place of graphics, if you enjoyed/still enjoy playing Dungeons and Dragons with Pen and Paper, then you will enjoy DragonRealms.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 17, 2004, 10:49:17 AM

Quote from: XplOrOrOr

I know very little about the game, other than they keep sending me newsletter that I don't read.

I used to play DragonRealms! It was my first ever online game right after I learned how to use the internet a few years ago.
 It is a MMORPG, but with no graphics. Kind of like a modern MUDD.
It's one of the oldest still going MUDDS/MMORPGs around.
 If you enjoy using your imagination in place of graphics, if you enjoyed/still enjoy playing Dungeons and Dragons with Pen and Paper, then you will enjoy DragonRealms.

I think he means http://www.codemasters.com/dragonempires/
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #41 on: April 17, 2004, 11:00:57 AM

Are you sure you're not thinking of Dragon Empires?  Or is DragonRealms actually sending people newsletters... I don't know why I find that hard to believe.  If you ARE talking about Dragon Empires, I'm rather interested in that game.  It's being made by Codemasters and is their first real MMOG.  Well, besides The Realm, which they own though didn't write, and picked up for a song.  Codemasters has a good rep, they really pay attention to detail and produce games that are very popular in Britain (mostly sports).  Toca Race Driver, Indycar series and all those football (soccer) games are theirs.  I've been keeping up with Dragon Empires for some time and it looks pretty good to me.

The only worry I have for a lot of the MMORPGs coming out is... whether or not  they will even make it to release.  Will the ones that actually launch sell enough product or have enough subscribers to sustain them?

It looks like the market is heading for a bit of a glut this coming year.  It might be bad for all of them, except those with the HUGE wallets (SOE, Microsoft, etc) or names (MEO, Everquest, etc) behind them.  Allthough Codemasters is a company that always does well, it does well mostly in Europe.  Dark and Light, RoT (or whatever their foolish name is now) and quite a few others, just might not gather enough support to actually stay in business.

EDIT:  I went to make a pot of coffee and Sairon beat me to the punch!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #42 on: April 19, 2004, 08:44:26 AM

I would imagine it has something to do with Lineage 2 sucking more cock than Jenna Jameson, but don't quote me on that.

As for Dragon Empires, the one thing making me really gunshy about it is the fact that Piers Anthony wrote some of the backstory. PEDOPHILIA FOR ALL!

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 19, 2004, 09:43:29 AM

Quote from: HaemishM

I would imagine it has something to do with Lineage 2 sucking more cock than Jenna Jameson, but don't quote me on that.

As for Dragon Empires, the one thing making me really gunshy about it is the fact that Piers Anthony wrote some of the backstory. PEDOPHILIA FOR ALL!

Piers Anthony isn't making me gunshy, it's the gameplay that is. After seeing that fun gameplay can be done in an MMOG, I am highly skeptical about the gameplay of all of the upcoming crop.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Faust
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 19, 2004, 01:20:41 PM

Yes, Empires.  Sorry

Kin Rha
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #45 on: April 19, 2004, 04:45:01 PM

Quote from: Soukyan

I am highly skeptical about the gameplay of all of the upcoming CRAP.

That line needed a little touch-up.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #46 on: April 19, 2004, 05:37:00 PM

Ha, this is funny to me, because Im in the exact same boat. they have been sending me Newsletters for like the last year or so. Its funny, I dont want to cancel, just incase they give us some thing special, but I dont care enough to actually, you know, read the newsletter.
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: April 19, 2004, 05:44:31 PM

Quote from: Morphiend

Ha, this is funny to me, because Im in the exact same boat. they have been sending me Newsletters for like the last year or so. Its funny, I dont want to cancel, just incase they give us some thing special, but I dont care enough to actually, you know, read the newsletter.

Agreed. The subject of the newsletter would have to be like: "Beta Test for newsletter people now! First 6 months free - and a blowjob from a hot asian chick - who happens to have just turned 18"

Then I would read the newsletter.
Jacob0883
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 21, 2004, 08:03:54 AM

Of these three games, which one(s) seem(s) to be allowing the most solo fighting.  I am not the biggest fan of grouping, and if all three games are going to invovle the need for grouping... I am going to give up on MMOG's.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #49 on: April 21, 2004, 08:23:48 AM

Quote from: Jacob0883
Of these three games, which one(s) seem(s) to be allowing the most solo fighting.  I am not the biggest fan of grouping, and if all three games are going to invovle the need for grouping... I am going to give up on MMOG's.

Depends on how you define 'need' for grouping.  I won't speak for UXO because I haven't been reading up on it since I have little faith in the game.

Can you solo in EQ2 and WoW? Yes.  Both dev teams have indicated their intent is to allow all classes to be able to kill monsters alone.  However, it's NOT going to be the most efficient form of play in either game.   EQ2 is, like EQ, being balanced around needing a party to minimize the downtime and maximize XP. WOW is being balanced so that questing is the most efficient form of XP gain, BUT those quests usally need a party (or two) to complete them.

MMO designers are out for the whole grouping dynamic.  It's a part of the genre now.   I don't expect we'll see another game as solo-friendly as i've heard AC1 was for a long time, if ever again.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 21, 2004, 08:27:46 AM

Of these three games, which one(s) seem(s) to be allowing the most solo fighting. I am not the biggest fan of grouping, and if all three games are going to invovle the need for grouping... I am going to give up on MMOG's.

You could always play CoH instead.  Lots of archetypes can solo in that.  Blasters, and tanks/scrappers for sure (the only two I have personally played extensively)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #51 on: April 21, 2004, 08:39:27 AM

Quote from: Alluvian
Of these three games, which one(s) seem(s) to be allowing the most solo fighting. I am not the biggest fan of grouping, and if all three games are going to invovle the need for grouping... I am going to give up on MMOG's.

You could always play CoH instead.  Lots of archetypes can solo in that.  Blasters, and tanks/scrappers for sure (the only two I have personally played extensively)

I'm not sure blasters can really solo at the higher levels unless you take a secondary tree that includes some type of root/snare (like the web grenades.)   They seem sturdy enough at the low levels we all are, because all archtypes have similar HPs early on.  From what I've read they get pretty fragile later on as the archtypes diverge. - Think like EQ, where everyone started with about 30hps, but at the end warriors have 3k and enchanters have 900.(unequipped)

schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: April 21, 2004, 08:42:18 AM

Quote from: Merusk
I'm not sure blasters can really solo at the higher levels unless you take a secondary tree that includes some type of root/snare (like the web grenades.)   They seem stury enough at the low levels we all are, becalse all archtypes have similar HPs early on.  From what I've read they get pretty fragle later on as the archtypes diverge. - Think like EQ, where everyone started with about 30hps, but at the end warriors have 3k and enchanters have 900.(unequipped)

Holy shit. Did you just come back from an all night bender?

Quote from: Repeated for Emphasis
They seem stury enough at the low levels we all are, becalse all archtypes have similar HPs early on.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #53 on: April 21, 2004, 08:45:46 AM

Quote from: Repeated for Emphasis
They seem stury enough at the low levels we all are, becalse all archtypes have similar HPs early on.

No, that's some shitty ass typing skills there. That's what that is. But thanks for not going all elite cockjockey spelling nazi on me.

schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: April 21, 2004, 08:53:25 AM

Heh, doesn't bother me. At least you're consitantly awful in the post. I was just worried you might have a few neurons misfiring due to an outside influence.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 21, 2004, 11:53:00 AM

Yeah, but almost all the blaster secondaries ahve some kind of snare.  Even fire secondary has fire ring and primaries like fire rain do as much for disorienting and scattering the enemy as they do for damage.  Hard to say until you are there though.  I can still easily solo at 15 at least.  grouping is just more fun.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 21, 2004, 12:07:51 PM

All blaster secondaries either have a root or at very worst have like energy big knockback/knock down melee attacks. That sounds bad but just throw it on auto cycle and anything that gets in range of you goes FLYING.

Wow I think will be an interesting game. The thing that really worries me about it is max level at release is supposedly 60. Apparently leveling in it at least up to 30 is a joke with people hitting it in a day or two tops that are really playin. I fear and some other testers have also expressed the fear that the game while fun is just to easy and will not have lasting power.

UXO I don't believe this game will get released. I feel it will probably get the axe like UO2. Maybe I will be wrong but I have no expectation that this game will ever see the light of retail daylight.

EQ2 Has a real shot at being something good and I am looking forward to trying it. It looks good and the concepts seem solid but I defer any opinion until I get my mitts on it.

Many things that look good on paper come out very sucky. Some things that look very suspect on paper such as COH turn around and surprise the hell out of me. That is why I try to at least play a game before forming an opinion hell I have lineage2 a couple day shot to see if my initial distaste was warrented.

kaid
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 22, 2004, 08:53:33 AM

Quote from: kaid
I fear and some other testers have also expressed the fear that the game while fun is just to easy and will not have lasting power.
Once the villains expansion is out there will probably be PvP to keep the punters entertained. If they do it properly with user-built sekrit bases and stuff it might add quite a few months of interesting gameplay.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #58 on: April 22, 2004, 09:03:31 AM

I agree... PvP will probably be the 'next big thing' in this game.  I'm sure there are other distractions in the mix, too.  Several times I've seen devs apologise for having to bail on a group they were playing with to attend to business.  If the devs have a difficult time dragging themselves away from the game, I have a feeling they'll be into making it more and more interesting for everyone.  Well, if they don't spend TOO much time playing and not enough time developing, that is.

RipSnort
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 22, 2004, 10:15:48 AM

I'm hoping on of these three will be next winter's addiction :
 Darkfall Online
Dark n Light
WarHammer Online

Especially Darkfall
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 22, 2004, 11:44:54 AM

Quote from: AOFanboi
I fear and some other testers have also expressed the fear that the game while fun is just to easy and will not have lasting power.
Once the villains expansion is out there will probably be PvP to keep the punters entertained. If they do it properly with user-built sekrit bases and stuff it might add quite a few months of interesting gameplay.

Kaid was CLEARLY talking about Worlds of Warcraft and not CoH in that comment.  Please quote in context.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 22, 2004, 02:41:44 PM

Hhehe I was talking about WOW not coh. Trust me I have played the high end game in coh you are not going to whip past those levels at ANYWHERE near the rate WoW currently progresses. Coh honestly has a very old world eq level of progression level wise for speed. You don't really notice it that much because the game is fun and most of the time you are to busy moshing things and flying,running,jumping around to notice.

The max level in beta for coh is 40. Since the last character wipe almost 3 months ago there are just now a bare handful of folks who are level 38 to test out the hamidon enounter. I think they were able to scrape up 8 folks to try it and this is after 200 or so folks had been level bumped to 34 3 weeks previous.

Shortly after it goes live the level cap is going to 50 which is going to take folks a good long time to get to.

As contrast in wow people after the most recent patch hit the cap of 35 in a weekend of play. I don't care what exploits or powerleveling you do in coh at the moment anything comparable to that just is not possible. WoW progression seems very fast and very easy and many are even commenting on the blizzard boards about things seeming to go very quickly.

Now if it is a fun game that is not a big deal but I am concerned that WoW may be a tad on the easy side.

Kaid
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 22, 2004, 02:56:01 PM

Or if there is something to do at the endgame that is really fun.  We shall see what shakes out with their pvp ideas and how their raiding really works on release.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 22, 2004, 03:25:13 PM

Now if it is a fun game that is not a big deal but I am concerned that WoW may be a tad on the easy side.

If it is as fun as CoH to play and the leveling is even faster, I will certainly play. As it stands now, based on the amount of time I have to play, CoH will probably take me around 6 months, more like a year, to max out a character. That's a bit on the long side as I get tired of any game faster than that (with a few very outstanding exceptions, none of which are MMOGs).

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #64 on: April 23, 2004, 10:28:04 AM

Isn't it funny how the original topic of this thread was which of 3 games (WoW, EQ2 or UXO) were going to be worth playing, and yet most of us are now talking about none of these 3 but instead talking about CoH?

Sleeper hit, y0. If people are hitting level 30 in a few days in WoW, they are going to have a helluva time either providing enough content for the punters, or arching the leveling speed way down and getting inundated with bitching.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 23, 2004, 12:25:14 PM

Remember that the SOP for MMOGs is to keep leveling fast during beta and ratchet it up at the end. You can't really judge leveling speed based on a beta at ANY stage.  Some like the infamous planetside changed it the freaking last day of beta.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: UXO, WoW, or EQ2?  
Jump to: