Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 02:25:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 College Football  (Read 219816 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #245 on: July 19, 2011, 05:27:36 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6784149/ncaa-hits-lsu-one-year-probation-recruiting-restrictions

Did not see this coming.. could have been worse, and in terms of NCAA sanctions, this is probably the least penalty the Tigers could have got - and from the article, it seems the LSU athletic dept are responsible for not getting the team fucked. And all because of an assistant coach...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #246 on: July 19, 2011, 05:38:20 PM

It's pretty much how you should handle the situation. Go figure that LSU would be the one to learn that the coverup is always worse than the crime.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: July 22, 2011, 02:35:57 PM

Columbus Dispatch: NCAA finds no new violations in Ohio State investigation

(alternative title: Suck It, OSU Haterz)

Well I'll be damn. This doesn't mean there won't be more sanctions, come Aug 12.  But, if the NCAA didn't find anything new in their investigation, maybe they'll take what's already been self-imposed, add to that their own looming hypocrisy on the matter, and call it a draw.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #248 on: July 22, 2011, 03:00:13 PM

I agree with that finding. There's no evidence it was anything other than Tressel ignoring the rules. That said, they still can't let them off for playing ineligible players all season with no suspensions or scholarship loss.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #249 on: July 22, 2011, 08:24:25 PM

Remember when I told you OSU wouldn't be getting a big penalty........?   Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #250 on: July 23, 2011, 10:21:15 AM

Remember when I told you OSU wouldn't be getting a big penalty........?   Ohhhhh, I see.

I never believed it was a lack of institutional control. That's a bigger deal. This was Tressel fucking the system, and they should be held accountable for not doing anything about that. I don't think they should be given the same penalty as USC. I think they should lose 3-10 scholarships, get a 1 year bowl ban, and a 3 year probation.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #251 on: July 23, 2011, 10:43:38 AM

I never believed it was a lack of institutional control. That's a bigger deal. This was Tressel fucking the system, and they should be held accountable for not doing anything about that. I don't think they should be given the same penalty as USC. I think they should lose 3-10 scholarships, get a 1 year bowl ban, and a 3 year probation.

But it was a lack of institutional control.  There are verified instances of Tressel being chastised by the University for lack of "self reporting" incidents around the program.  That, combined with Tressel fucking the system, is the very definition of lack of institutional control. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #252 on: July 23, 2011, 11:31:55 AM

I think it's a lack of common sense, not control. They obviously were doing their job of internally investigating and making their stuff known. Short of firing him earlier, I'm not really sure what they could have done from an institutional standpoint. They weren't ignoring it, they just kept expecting him to stop. Some could say, well you're fucking idiots for not realizing he wasn't paying attention. That could be true, but it's not an issue of control. They were doing the due diligence to say, look dude, cut this shit out.

If it were for a couple of years, I'd say the NCAA would accept their "punishment" and move on. I think the fact that they kept giving him second and third chances after so many years will probably cost them more. Thus, the bowl ban and loss of scholarships should be part of the equation. However, I don't really expect they will get the bowl ban for a year. I absolutely believe they will lose some scholarships. That's standard operating procedure in these cases.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #253 on: July 23, 2011, 01:09:39 PM

I've got to disagree with you here.  They knew that Tressel wasn't reporting known violations or keeping good tabs on his players.  That is a lack of institutional control.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #254 on: July 23, 2011, 04:08:12 PM

I've got to disagree with you here.  They knew that Tressel wasn't reporting known violations or keeping good tabs on his players.  That is a lack of institutional control.

I can see where you would make that leap, but I'm not sure that it matters if it's contained to one guy.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #255 on: July 23, 2011, 05:03:25 PM

The most important guy.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #256 on: July 23, 2011, 05:12:00 PM

One guy does not make an institution though.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: July 23, 2011, 05:51:05 PM

The most important guy.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Lack of institutional control has to do with athletic department oversight and compliance, not with the head coach. It's sorta like government regulations in some respects. For example, a mechanic cutting corners and not following procedures for an airline can result in an FAA fine. If the FAA finds that the airline in question willfully disregarded the mechanic's shortcuts or lacked the system to properly oversee him and prevent that sort of thing it gets a massive fine and all of its aircraft grounded.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #258 on: July 23, 2011, 06:22:30 PM

I think we can all agree that they knew Tressell was screwing up and tried to reign him in, but they couldn't. I think we also know that his winning blinded them further. The reality is that while it wasn't a lack of control, they should certainly be punished for what happened under their watch.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #259 on: July 23, 2011, 08:41:12 PM

They still aren't going to do anything to OSU.  That's the overriding point.  And it stinks of favoritism. 
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: July 23, 2011, 09:30:34 PM

I gotta agree with Ghost here for the following bolded reason:

I think we can all agree that they knew Tressell was screwing up and tried to reign him in, but they couldn't. I think we also know that his winning blinded them further. The reality is that while it wasn't a lack of control, they should certainly be punished for what happened under their watch.

To me, that's textbook lack of institutional control when you can't get your head coach to quit breaking the rules.   Regardless of whether CJT was winning or fucking the football in his spare time:  they knew.  I don't blame institutions or coaches for what boosters or fans do (see Alabama/Albert Means case).  I do blame them when they (specifically "they" being the compliance staff) know and do nothing about what their staff is doing.  I see your point as well and to some degree I agree with you, but I just can't see how this ISN'T LoIC. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #261 on: July 23, 2011, 10:00:59 PM

I'm actually shocked that Paelos is sticking up for tOSU.  I mean fuck, it's goddamned Ohio State.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #262 on: July 23, 2011, 10:40:37 PM

They still aren't going to do anything to OSU.  That's the overriding point.  And it stinks of favoritism. 

You don't know that. There's a meeting in August to determine the outcome.

I can really see 3 sides of the case here. There's the rules, there's what should have been common sense, and there's what we think should be the rules.

- On the first case, Ohio State violated the rules, but the NCAA rules it's not lack of institutional control. Meetings next month will finalize the punishments.
- On the second case, common sense would dictate that if you were telling you coach to stop violating rules and reign things in, you should have fired him rather than keep issuing warnings
- On the third case, I think Ohio State knew they were covering their asses by issuing formal warnings but it was understood that as long as Tressel won nobody would give a shit. However, at the moment the NCAA showed up they could be like, OH LOOK AT THE WARNINGS! ALL THAT GUY! HE'S GONE NOW SO WE'RE GOOD RITE?!?!

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #263 on: July 24, 2011, 12:19:09 AM

One guy does not make an institution though.

Tell that to the Bear.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #264 on: July 24, 2011, 07:44:01 AM

- On the second case, common sense would dictate that if you were telling you coach to stop violating rules and reign things in, you should have fired him rather than keep issuing warnings
- On the third case, I think Ohio State knew they were covering their asses by issuing formal warnings but it was understood that as long as Tressel won nobody would give a shit. However, at the moment the NCAA showed up they could be like, OH LOOK AT THE WARNINGS! ALL THAT GUY! HE'S GONE NOW SO WE'RE GOOD RITE?!?!

You have described a lack of institutional control. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #265 on: July 24, 2011, 07:55:50 AM

Can't prove it though. That's the problem.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #266 on: July 24, 2011, 08:25:15 AM

OSU proved it themselves.  They sent letters to Tressel officially reprimanding for not self reporting known violations.  Then they did nothing about it until they were already in trouble.  AND, they weren't even going to fire him until their feet got super hot. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #267 on: July 24, 2011, 08:36:50 AM

The NCAA Committee on Infractions provides the following list as a roadmap for institutions to avoid a finding of a lack of institutional control:

* The NCAA rules applicable to each operation are readily available to those persons involved in that operation.
* Appropriate forms are provided to persons involved in specific operations to ensure that they will properly follow NCAA rules.
* A procedure is established for timely communication among various university offices regarding determinations that affect compliance with NCAA rules.
* Meaningful compliance education programs are provided for personnel engaged in athletically related operations.
* Informational and educational programs are established to inform athletics boosters of the limitations on their activities under NCAA rules and of the penalties that can arise if they are responsible for rule violations.
* Informational and educational programs are established for student-athletes regarding the rules that they must follow
* An internal monitoring system is in place to ensure compliance with NCAA rules.
* An external audit of athletics compliance is undertaken at reasonable intervals.
* The chief executive officer and other senior administrators make clear that they demand compliance with NCAA rules and that they will not tolerate those who deliberately violate the rules or do so through gross negligence.
* The institution and its staff members have a long history of self-detecting, self-reporting and self-investigating all potential violations.

They maybe flubbed the second to last one, but it's up for interpretation. The rest, it's hard to fault them for. That's my point.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #268 on: July 24, 2011, 08:48:20 AM

The last two have been broken by them and those are clearly the most important.  Other schools have been tagged with LOIC for less.  If it wasn't Ohio State they would be under a lot more scrutiny. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #269 on: July 24, 2011, 08:59:44 AM

I disagree they broke the last one. They reported more than any other program for the last decade.

Lets not let our dislike of the program change the facts of the situation, Common Sense is not a bylaw.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #270 on: July 24, 2011, 09:03:02 AM

However they clearly reprimanded their coach for not self reporting known violations.  So they obviously didn't report enough.  Note that in the rule it says all violations.  Not just the ones that they want to report. 
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: July 24, 2011, 10:13:23 AM

However they clearly reprimanded their coach for not self reporting known violations.  So they obviously didn't report enough.  Note that in the rule it says all violations.  Not just the ones that they want to report. 

Andy Geiger's reprimand was for not reporting violations in a timely manner, not for not reporting them at all. That was also six years ago, though Gene Smith's lack of written reviews doesn't give me warm fuzzies and I still think he should have gone along with Tressel.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #272 on: July 24, 2011, 11:09:02 AM

Don't get me wrong, there will be blood over this. Just not as much as I think people who dislike the program's previous smug attitude would like. There won't be the dramatic fallout. It will be a few lost scholarships and probation. I doubt much more.

There should be a bowl ban for a year, but that's wishful thinking on my part.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #273 on: July 26, 2011, 06:52:20 AM

37 DAYS!

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #274 on: July 26, 2011, 07:42:26 AM

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #275 on: July 28, 2011, 07:01:19 AM

Davis gone at UNC . . .

Oddly enough, it seems more a line of thought that he had to know rather than proof he did know... makes me wonder how Oregon has hung on to Kelly this long.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #276 on: July 28, 2011, 07:04:11 AM

The NCAA has been up UNC's butt since the third week of last season. I'm shocked they didn't move him out earlier.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #277 on: July 28, 2011, 07:17:28 AM

UNC is a huge bunch of smug assholes.  I'm surprised they didn't can him immediately.  So now I guess they're a bunch of smug, hypocritical assholes. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #278 on: July 28, 2011, 07:49:14 AM

TV National Schedule for the First Week of CFB:

Thursday September 1st:
Murray State at Louisville 6:00 p.m. ESPNU (HD)
Mississippi State at Memphis 8:00 p.m. FSN (HD)
UNLV at Wisconsin 8:00 p.m. ESPN (HD) / espn3.com
Kentucky vs. Western Kentucky (Nashville) 9:15 p.m. ESPNU (HD)

Friday September 2nd:
TCU at Baylor 8:00 p.m. ESPN (HD) / espn3.com

Saturday September 3rd:
Akron at Ohio State 12:00 p.m. ESPN (HD) / espn3.com
Miami (Ohio) at Missouri 12:00 p.m. FSN (HD)
Northwestern at Boston College 12:00 p.m. ESPNU (HD)
Utah State at Auburn 12:00 p.m. ESPN2 (HD) / espn3.com
Louisiana Monroe at Florida State 3:30 p.m. ESPNU (HD)
Minnesota at USC 3:30 p.m. (ABC or ESPN2 / espn3.com) (HD) *7
South Florida at Notre Dame 3:30 p.m. NBC (HD)
UCLA at Houston 3:30 p.m. FSN (HD)
Western Michigan at Michigan 3:30 p.m. (ABC or ESPN2 / espn3.com) (HD) *7
BYU at Ole Miss 4:45 p.m. ESPN (HD) / espn3.com
East Carolina vs. South Carolina (Charlotte, NC) 7:00 p.m. FSN (HD) / espn3.com
Florida Atlantic at Florida 7:00 p.m. ESPNU (HD)
Boise State vs. Georgia (Atlanta) 8:00 p.m. ESPN (HD) / espn3.com
LSU vs. Oregon (Arlington, TX) 8:00 p.m. ABC (HD)
Tulsa at Oklahoma 8:00 p.m. FX (HD)
Colorado at Hawaii 10:15 p.m. ESPN2 (HD) / espn3.com

Monday September 5th:
Miami at Maryland 7:00 p.m. ESPN (HD) / espn3.com

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #279 on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:11 AM

Wow. There are actually quite a few games in there that should be awesome.  LSU versus Oregon.   Heart
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football  
Jump to: