Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:06:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Spartacus: Gods of the Arena 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spartacus: Gods of the Arena  (Read 45284 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #140 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:41 AM

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #141 on: February 23, 2011, 08:06:10 AM

It effectively translates to "Aww, look at the cute newbie" - generally because of expressed and possibly misplaced or impractical enthusiasm. There isn't much of a mocking undercurrent. It's the opposite of the jaded cynic.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #142 on: February 23, 2011, 09:06:48 AM

Isn't Starz pay TV and therefore can get away with it?

Correct.  Premium pay TV, even.  I don't think you can get boobs on basic cable.
I think the line is blurring pretty fast.  I haven't had a cable package since college that hasn't included Starz.  Showtime/HBO/Cinemax I consider the premiums you pay extra for.   Starzs was the fake movie channel they always stuck into every package to make you feel like you were getting a premium movie channel like HBO, but weren't.  I actually laughed out loud when I first heard this show was on Starz.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: February 23, 2011, 09:31:40 AM

Isn't Starz pay TV and therefore can get away with it?

Correct.  Premium pay TV, even.  I don't think you can get boobs on basic cable.

Umm.  I know our Euro brothers like to picture the US as a country that viciously persecutes any sign of a bare breast or sex, but...

The Premium or pay channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, etc) pretty much don't have limitations and are widely subscribed.  HBO is the largest and has between 30-40 million subscribers (out of 115ish million), and which obviously doesn't count people stealing it.

Basic cable varies depending on the demographic but generally doesn't do frontal or gratuitous nudity, edits out the most graphic violence, and you can say pretty much anything but "fuck" or "cunt".  Comedy Central was running unedited movies/shows late at night on the weekends, and FX has been pushing the boundries for years for basic cable for years. 

The networks (what used to be "free tv", but now don't most people get this as part of basic cable/sat?)) are aimed at the biggest demographics, so they tend to edit down even more.

Americans don't get pissed at nudity/violence/swearing.  They get pissed at nudity/violence/swearing where they don't expect to experience nudity/violence/swearing.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: February 23, 2011, 11:10:10 AM

Whoever builds the 1st ancient Roman theme park is a rich man.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: February 26, 2011, 12:18:02 PM

The build up to the primus was pretty epic and after that they did a good job tying this prequel in. Quality work if you're into this.

Personally I think they could have done without the last scene. Stopping after the last thing Batiatus said would have been perfect but I guess they opted for a bit of a teaser for those who hadn't seen 'blood and sand' and some candy for those who love the overly dramatic.

All in all, this prequel did not disappoint.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: February 26, 2011, 03:09:49 PM

OMG Baitiatus!

Really enjoying the show.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: February 26, 2011, 11:01:21 PM

Tannhauser, are you still watching the first show?

I really liked the whole prequel, very good stuff. They even managed to trick me in the end.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: February 26, 2011, 11:27:41 PM

The final was fucking great.
The build up to the primus was pretty epic and after that they did a good job tying this prequel in. Quality work if you're into this.

Personally I think they could have done without the last scene. Stopping after the last thing Batiatus said would have been perfect but I guess they opted for a bit of a teaser for those who hadn't seen 'blood and sand' and some candy for those who love the overly dramatic.

All in all, this prequel did not disappoint.
It fit perfectly I thought.  Remember that the very first episode of this series started with them showing Baitiatus getting killed and laying on the ground, then zooming into his eyes and flashing back to show how it all started.  It fit that the last scene ended with it flashing back to him dead in his own pool of blood.  Ties it all in.  Of course, that sort of rips off the beginning/end sequence for lost as a series, but I still liked it.

In short, where have the fucking writers of this show been all my life.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: February 27, 2011, 03:50:01 AM

The writers of this show will soon: A) Die in a plane crash.  B) Die of drug overdoses. C) Be assassinated.

Writing this good can't be allowed to continue.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: February 27, 2011, 07:15:29 AM

I was skeptical when they annouced this prequel but it was fucking awesome. Now on to season 2!

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: February 27, 2011, 08:40:08 AM

Yes, I distinctly remember that it was mentioned, Muffin. Don't know the episode, though. It was one of the reasons he was on the side of Spartacus (as much as this weasel can be on anyone's side beside his own).

And yes, this prequel was as awesome as the first season. That last episode was on fire (pun intended).
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: February 27, 2011, 09:09:22 AM

I was skeptical when they annouced this prequel but it was fucking awesome. Now on to season 2!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:11:00 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: February 27, 2011, 03:23:13 PM

Well

I am the .00000001428%
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: February 27, 2011, 03:34:58 PM

Hmm I figured he was just a random made up character for the show, don't know why I assumed that. I also see a couple of articles now saying that he will be in season 2.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: March 02, 2011, 06:54:41 AM

I just finished the prequel.  God damn it was good. 

Do you think we'll see Gannicus again?  I think we might.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: March 02, 2011, 07:21:26 AM

Is there only 6 episodes in goods of the arena?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #157 on: March 02, 2011, 07:24:56 AM

Yup. 6 glorious episodes.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: March 02, 2011, 07:33:40 AM

Simply awesome.  They once again defy my best guesses and finish things off in a way I don't expect them to.

I can't believe we are going to have to wait like a year for more of this.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:46 AM

I just finished the prequel.  God damn it was good. 

Do you think we'll see Gannicus again?  I think we might.
Well

-Stephen Colbert
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: March 05, 2011, 03:15:34 PM

Ok, just finished Blood and Sand and am pumped GotA features House Baitiatus!  John Hannah and Lucy Lawless deserve Emmy's for their loving, yet ruthless power couple.  I know Quintus was supposed to be a jerk, but damn if I didn't admire his character's ruthlessness, cunning and even tenderness.  Great character. 

B&S was so well written and acted.  Iliythia and the boy was  ACK!, didn't expect that!  So much scheming, I love it!  Andy Whitfeld really held the show together as Spartacus and showed his legend in the making.

Now on to GotA!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: March 06, 2011, 08:15:07 AM

The shows quality did not suffer in the least for the lack of Andy Whitfield in GotA, it's just as good or better than the first season.  I am concerned that the third season will suffer without John Hanna and Lucy Lawless though.

I am the .00000001428%
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: March 06, 2011, 10:18:39 PM

I just watched through both the full season and the 6 episodes of Gods of the Arena on Netflix.

Overall I enjoyed it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: March 06, 2011, 10:30:01 PM

The shows quality did not suffer in the least for the lack of Andy Whitfield in GotA, it's just as good or better than the first season.  I am concerned that the third season will suffer without John Hanna and Lucy Lawless though.

Pretty sure Lucy still has a chance to be alive.
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: March 07, 2011, 12:58:38 AM

As much as I enjoy seeing Lucy Lawless naked, scheming, or naked and scheming at the same time, I really can't see how keeping her around would be a good thing. The story will move on beyond Capua and what part could the wife of a dead and disgraced Ludus owner play in that?

Her character got a dramatic sendoff. Bringing her back will just make the end of Season One less awesome.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: March 07, 2011, 05:21:32 AM

As much as I enjoy seeing Lucy Lawless naked, scheming, or naked and scheming at the same time, I really can't see how keeping her around would be a good thing. The story will move on beyond Capua and what part could the wife of a dead and disgraced Ludus owner play in that?

Her character got a dramatic sendoff. Bringing her back will just make the end of Season One less awesome.

If I've learned anything from this show, it's that they can make anything awesome.  If they brought her back (which I don't believe they will), they'd find a way to make it great, I've no doubt.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: March 07, 2011, 08:49:41 AM

Waite, what? Season 3 is AFTER season one? There is still lots to tell between GoTa and BaS.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: March 07, 2011, 09:00:35 AM

Lots? What didn't they cover in GoA?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:00 AM

The only thing that didn't get neatly tied up was how Crixus became the champion of Capua, unless it was by default.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: March 07, 2011, 09:18:01 AM

The only thing that didn't get neatly tied up was how Crixus became the champion of Capua, unless it was by default.

No they did.

Yeah, lots, there is quite a bit of time between the end of GoTa and when Spartacus shows up. Is there some link that says that the next season will be post BaS?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: March 07, 2011, 09:26:50 AM

It has been stated that Season 2 has a new guy playing Spartacus on the wikipedia page because the guy in the original series has cancer. Thus, Spartacus will be in the show, which leads one to believe it will be after the first season (which they alluded to with the last 30 seconds of ep 6 of Gods of the Arena).

There really is not much time or stuff to tell between the two seasons. Maybe a year or two where the drought begins and Crixus becomes champion.

The show is about Spartacus after all. My guess is season two is about the expansion of the revolt.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:28:36 AM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: March 07, 2011, 09:31:35 AM

Then yes, the show will suffer with out John Hanna and Lucy Lawless. John Hanna kind of made the show. Hes one of the strongest actors and characters in the show, he really set the stage for all others.

I foresee lots of flash backs or something.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: March 07, 2011, 10:26:40 AM

Head Batiatus, you heard it here first! awesome, for real
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: March 07, 2011, 11:52:31 AM

The good thing about Spartacus (and also why I can read this without worrying about spoilers) is the hugely strong story that can be mined for both characters and drama/tension.

They don't even have to bring Hannah in in any lame ways :  The Story of Spartacus is a great ride.  Personally, I can't wait until Roman Legions start getting their arse handed to them.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: March 07, 2011, 12:02:03 PM

Yeah...I mean, they steal have Glaber to deal with.  And that means Ilythia.  Lovely, wonderful Ilythia doing naughty stuff, and just generally being herself.  They need to find Nevia again (or whatever Crixus's girl was named).  They have to find and recruit   They have to deal with Ashur.  They have that whole rebellion thing to do.

Shit, they've enough material to go for a while yet.  I only regret that it will take so long to see anything new.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Spartacus: Gods of the Arena  
Jump to: