Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Back to the Future 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back to the Future  (Read 3324 times)
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

on: December 23, 2010, 11:29:16 PM

The first chapter of Telltale Games' Back to the Future game was just released on Steam. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/31290

I'm not too far in, but so far I'm enjoying it.  I loved the movies growing up, so it's pretty neat to get to play around in this. 
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 12:05:58 AM

What kind of game is it?  The trailer didn't really tell me much about the game (plus, minor boo for the art style, though I almost bought it right there on the soundtrack alone) and the screenshots all look like cinematics.  Steam calls it an "adventure" game, a genre which evidently includes GTA4, Tom Clancy's HAWX-2, and Lego Harry Potter as well as "real" adventures like Monkey Island and Myst and so on.  It it an actual point and click, or what?
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 12:23:54 AM

It's of the point and click variety of gaming.  There's a built in hint system, which I believe you can adjust in the options.  

Telltale Games also did the more recent Sam and Max and Monkey Island games.  
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 05:11:25 AM

It's stupid but the terrible C64 version years ago put me off buying this game :-(
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:17:55 AM

I'm very tempted, love the franchise but don't like adventure games. Steam sale 2011!
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 09:58:45 AM

Sounds like it would be better suited for the iPad.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 11:46:29 AM

It's fun but very short. I beat it in 2 hours. I'm hoping the next episodes are either very cheap or free...

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 02:56:24 PM

From what I read elsewhere, I think on the Steam forums, the price gets you the entire package of episodes, and they'll just download automatically as they're released. 

Disappointing to hear about the length of the episode though.  I was hoping it'd be longer than that. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 12:09:04 PM

Yeah the price is the price for the full season, I don't think Telltale has sold any of their most recent adventure games episode-by-episode like they did with the first couple Sam & Max seasons.

I don't actually care for the franchise much, so I probably won't pick this up, but Telltale has done a nice job with their other franchises so there's no real reason to think this won't be faithful if you're a fan.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:26:12 PM

You two are right which is a relief. It was still fun and I guess when all 5 episodes are out we're looking at 10 or so hours of game.

Anyway, here's a mini-review:

Pros:
They got Cristopher Lloyd back!
They have a semi-reasonable explanation for why things are happening,
Meeting young Doc was great fun.
They touched on all the familiar notes ("hey McFly!" "Great scot!" "Slacker!")
The voice actor for Marty McFly sounds eerily like 80s Michael J Fox.

Cons:
Length (so far)
Some of the puzzles are a bit obtuse...(then again I find this about most adventure games)
The hint system is uneven. It seemed to either hand hold me past puzzles or give a very vague hint that didn't help at all.
I had one instance where my hint system/quest log were "stuck" on something I'd already done rather than moving on to what I was currently working on. It wasn't so helpful to tell me that maybe I should do X with NPC Y when I had already done so and was now on a completely different objective.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Back to the Future  
Jump to: