Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:33:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Holiday Sale 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Holiday Sale  (Read 69140 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 07:28:08 AM

I was looking hard at BC2 and the FEAR bundle. Still tempted by FEAR 2, but I think I'll pass; and BC2, well, I don't really play online shooters anymore. After last year's gorging, it's much easier to pass on titles. Such a backlog of good stuff to get to (ie; get FEAR 2 or finally get around to Dead Space). Also, got the Eidos bundle last year, and hoping nothing tempts me too much because if I can make it to Jan 2 with $38, I get Vegas! It's like a cheesy game show.

Day 1 = nada.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 08:21:55 AM

Bought Deus Ex collection.  Likely won't play it, but for $3 I may as well. 

Found DA:O Ultimate edition for PS3 in my local Target clearance bin yesterday for $15.  Snatched that up right quick.  I have it on PC already but have waaay more than $15 in DLC to buy, so this is win.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 08:29:32 AM

Fuck me.  I bought Deus Ex like two days ago. 

Debating buying BC2 (mostly because I'm intrigued by the Vietnam expansion).  Since I'm not a fan of vehicles and snipers, I may pass.  It's hard to pass at that price.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:17 AM

My wife splurged on my Wishlist.  awesome, for real I told her it was better to wait for this week's sale.

Got Battlefield: Bad Company 2 finally and Blood Bowl Dark Elves Edition. Also added the Peninsular Campaign to Napoleon: Total War and got two of the expansions to Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. I will be gorged on games this year.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 10:04:12 AM

The Witcher for $5.00?! Get it if you don't have it - easily get your money's worth out of that.  I am actually playing through Defense Grid: The Awakening (tower defense game) now, as it was part of the Treasure Hunt deals and for $2.00 you can't miss.

Just trying to decided if Men of War: Gold Edition is worth it or not...anyone play these?
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 10:05:09 AM

Day two has started, good luck with your wallets ladies and gentlemen. That said, this is a little late from me but here is the daily breakdown so far:

Daily Sales

Day 2 – Tuesday 12/21
Resident Evil – 66% off = $10.20
Defense Grid: The Awakening – 80% off = $2.00
Burnout Paradise Ultimate – 75% off = $5.00
Gothic Bundle (1, 2, 3, and 4) – 50% off = $34.99
The Polynomial – 75% off = $2.50
The Witcher Director’s Cut – 75% off = $5.00
Aion: Assault on Balaurea – 75% off = $10.00
Lara Croft: Guardian of Light – 66% off = $5.10, or if you own any other Tomb Raider game it is 76% off = $3.60
Men of War: Gold Edition – 75% off = $8.75
Disciples 3 – 75% off = $7.50
Bioshock 2 – 50% off = $9.99
Puzzle Quest – 85% off = $1.50

Day 1 – Monday 12/20

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 10:10:10 AM

I'm passing today. I enjoyed defense grid as a tower defense game it's worth $2 if you like those games. I already own the witcher, that's worth the $5 IMO. Puzzle quest is probably worth $1.50 as well. I haven't played any of the rest.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 10:14:52 AM

Contemplating the Witcher, but have concerns that it's more "Action" than "RPG".  I'm not much of a fan of action games, but really enjoy RPGs.  Thoughts?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 10:15:59 AM

Contemplating the Witcher, but have concerns that it's more "Action" than "RPG".  I'm not much of a fan of action games, but really enjoy RPGs.  Thoughts?

It's more RPG than action.  Don't worry on that front.

-Rasix
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:06 AM

"Action" consists of facing your enemies, being in the correct stance (there are 3) and then left clicking once, twice, three times to victory when the icon turns red (this chains your attacks) Sometimes right click to cast a spell. There's a decent amount of combat though, and it's definitely the weakest part of the game, but the story is still pretty good.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 10:23:50 AM

Defense Grid is easily worth it.  It's a charming game with plenty of replay value.

I picked up puzzle quest.  I managed to avoid it previously, but I suppose for 1.50 I can give it a shot.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 10:33:23 AM

Not much of interest on sale for Macs.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 10:44:37 AM

Not much of interest on sale for Macs.

Best part of the Mac sales they are the cross platform game so you can pickup braid/trine/torchlight for cheap and use it on PC.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 11:19:11 AM

Steam sales really jade one. I'm tempted by Bioshock 2, but didn't care for the first one much. Also Disciples III but heard a lot of meh.

Witcher is definitely worth $5 if you haven't played it; skip the Gothic bundle, Risen > Arcania by all reports (and they had the 1-3 bundle wicked cheap last year, so it's a big price jump to just get Arcania, which wasn't made by Piranha Bytes). Burnout Paradise is a fun racer, I definitely got $5 out of it over the last year.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 11:21:11 AM

Defense Grid is easily worth it.  It's a charming game with plenty of replay value.

I picked up puzzle quest.  I managed to avoid it previously, but I suppose for 1.50 I can give it a shot.

It's a very good distraction game I enjoyed. I wouldn't recommend playing it more than an hour at a time due to the repetition.

The only thing that looked interesting to me on there is Disciples III, but there are major questions about the bugs/stability. Anybody have experience with that one?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #50 on: December 21, 2010, 11:42:15 AM

Its pure RPG. One of the best European RPGs to be released in a long while IMO. If you don't own it, and you enjoy RPGs this is a must buy right now. Actually, it was a must buy about 6 months ago even.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 12:42:01 PM

Its pure RPG. One of the best European RPGs to be released in a long while IMO. If you don't own it, and you enjoy RPGs this is a must buy right now. Actually, it was a must buy about 6 months ago even.

I grabbed it.  At $5 I can't complain.

Can't seem to get into Deus Ex.  Too "shootery" for my tastes.   I find that I'm also not fond of the whole "stealth" thing.  My grasp of stealth involves a knife to the face.   

-  Mark Twain
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 01:21:01 PM

I sure as hell wouldn't recommend Max Payne games for $14, $5 is pretty much too much to pay for them in these modern times.

If I hadn't already played it, I'd pay $5 for Max Payne 2 and be happy about it. It is however one rare case where I'm happy to have the disk, because the box art is awesome.

On today's offers, Defence Grid is worth it, you're only getting a really well executed tower defence game, but it is really well executed. Bioshock 2 can fuck right off. I already have polynomial, I can't make head nor tail of it, and it won't work with iTunes music, so that too, can fuck off. I'm picking up puzzle quest because people keep mentioning it elsewhere and it only costs 90 pence.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 21, 2010, 01:38:20 PM

Is Bioshock 2 worth playing on the PC?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 01:39:55 PM

Can't seem to get into Deus Ex.  Too "shootery" for my tastes.   I find that I'm also not fond of the whole "stealth" thing.  My grasp of stealth involves a knife to the face.   

At its core, yes, you could say it involves shooting, but the experience varies a lot based on how you want to approach each level.

- You can shoot with the pistol, opting for a straightforward, FPS-style approach, but Deus Ex becomes quite hard that way, and pretty unsatisfying, IMO ;

- But then, you can get around by using tranquilizer darts with the crossbow...Or picking enemies from distance with the Sniper Rifle, or...STICK WITH THE PROODD, like good ol' Paul said.

The beauty of it is really the freedom of choice, both on how you get through the levels, and the means you use to achieve it (lockpicking, computers, explosives and so on. What a fantastic game).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #55 on: December 21, 2010, 01:46:12 PM

I sure as hell wouldn't recommend Max Payne games for $14, $5 is pretty much too much to pay for them in these modern times.

Yeah, I'd be quite happy with $5 for the pair of them. More than that ...not so much.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 21, 2010, 01:48:02 PM

Anybody tried Lara Croft? RE5 good on the PC?
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #57 on: December 21, 2010, 01:49:16 PM

I bought Rail Road Tycoon 2 Platinum for less than 2 beans.  I'm going to become the most ruthless railroad baron of all time.  WATCH IT.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #58 on: December 21, 2010, 01:49:25 PM

Steam sales really jade one. I'm tempted by Bioshock 2, but didn't care for the first one much. Also Disciples III but heard a lot of meh.

Witcher is definitely worth $5 if you haven't played it; skip the Gothic bundle, Risen > Arcania by all reports (and they had the 1-3 bundle wicked cheap last year, so it's a big price jump to just get Arcania, which wasn't made by Piranha Bytes). Burnout Paradise is a fun racer, I definitely got $5 out of it over the last year.

Bioshock is $24.99 and Gothic Bundle is $34.99.. are they Aussie prices or the real ones? Both seem a tad high.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #59 on: December 21, 2010, 01:52:37 PM

I see Bioshock 2 at $9.99 (down from $19.99) but the same $34.99 as you for the Gothic bundle.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 21, 2010, 01:54:45 PM

Witcher for 5 bucks is tempting, but with Steam sales making it easy to acquire large numbers of games, the real issue isn't the cost, but rather if I'll ever have time to actually play the things I buy.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 21, 2010, 01:55:17 PM

Bioshock is $10USD, Gothic bundle $35USD. With 1&2 being a bit dated and 3&4 lackluster, and Risen being $22.50USD, I can't see recommending the bundle (and I'm a gothic fan who bought the bundle last year, it was way cheaper; money dig for Arcania this year).
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #62 on: December 21, 2010, 02:02:46 PM

Anybody tried Lara Croft? RE5 good on the PC?

I've heard OKish things about Lara, and bad about RE5. Unless that was RE4? Schild had an opinion on it, I recall.

Tempted by Defence Grid, Lara and Witcher, today...

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #63 on: December 21, 2010, 02:03:30 PM

RE4 awesome.  RE5 bad.

-Rasix
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 21, 2010, 02:04:23 PM

Witcher for 5 bucks is tempting, but with Steam sales making it easy to acquire large numbers of games, the real issue isn't the cost, but rather if I'll ever have time to actually play the things I buy.

I picked it up last year.

At $5 it is cool because although the combat mechanics suck monkey balls, the rpg character development is solid and way the story interaction is designed is excellent. It makes Bioware look like George Lucas.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #65 on: December 21, 2010, 02:12:56 PM

RE4 on consoles, awesome. RE4 on PC, trash.
RE5 on consoles, trash. RE5 on PC, merely tolerable.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #66 on: December 21, 2010, 02:20:36 PM

Also Witcher for $5 is good because Witcher 2 exists no?

I need to go look up the biif and any other mentions of Disciples and I think I'll pass on Bioshock 2, it did look fun but I couldn't find a difficulty worth playing in the first game (was either trivially easy or cheating hard) and the game itself got insanely boring as it progressed as most encounters were rinse repeat affairs.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 02:21:37 PM

RE4 on consoles, awesome. RE4 on PC, trash.
RE5 on consoles, trash. RE5 on PC, merely tolerable.

Two things I had major issues with re: RE5

1) The stupid way split screen was done on consoles.
2) I hate how Chris looks like some kind of freakish steroid monster instead of a real person now.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 02:22:09 PM

Edit: Hit the wrong button.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 03:13:58 PM

Is there a way to get/patch Steam's Witcher into the European uncut/unrated/whatever version? I've got the original Euro disc version here and would prefer to be able to put it away but keep/have the full version of the game on Steam.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Holiday Sale  
Jump to: