Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 509475 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: November 01, 2017, 08:31:02 AM

<insert tony stark robot fire extinguisher gif here>

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #946 on: November 01, 2017, 01:00:02 PM

I'm still reading this stuff!   Heart
this is my favorite thread on the whole site!

Love Letters Love Letters Love Letters

and yeah, toasty landing which I heard they quickly put out the fire, but how? barge is unmanned I thought, so robots or remote operated fire extinguisher or what?

Remote activated water cannon. Visible in the lower right corner below:

Here again at CCAFS (Cape Canaveral Air Force Station) Landing Zone 1:

Pretty simple design really.

Edit: SpaceX is now aiming for a Falcon Heavy maiden flight NET (No Early Then) 29. December 2017.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:33:58 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #947 on: November 01, 2017, 07:33:41 PM

The discussion and pictures of transporting rockets a page back got me remembering seeing a Saturn V booster on a barge, so I googled it and sure enough! It happened at least twice. Once back in the 60's:

and again last year!:

and then there was this which I saw several times flying over our school yard in Huntsville growing up:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:38:02 PM by Count Nerfedalot »

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: November 02, 2017, 08:51:25 AM

Those Saturn pictures are just wow! Especially the first. Thanks. Heart

I knew the Super Guppy because Airbus bought it from NASA to transport plane parts. They even acquired the rights and built two more that flew until 1998.

And there is the Pregnant Guppy, the predecessor.

After the idea was born (to replace slow barge-travel with planes) the first draft was created in 3 days (!) and presented to von Braun.
The man behind the concept mortgaged his house to finance the plane's conversion. Later von Braun himself test-flew to plane before acceptance.

It opened from behind:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:55:00 AM by calapine »

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: November 02, 2017, 08:20:58 PM

Somewhere I've got a pic of my Dad in the Smithsonian pointing to the SaturnV interstage ring at one of the components he worked on - I'll try to scare it up and link it here when I'm less lazy. He also worked on the Lunar Rover and Skylab as an electrical draftsman, self taught from correspondence courses plus an art degree. Not bad for the son of a subsistence farmer/church caretaker from Texas who literally had no shoes except hand-me-downs with cardboard inner soles for the first 15 years of his life!

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: November 03, 2017, 10:23:37 AM

60 years ago today, Laika became the first dog in space.

Sadly the temperature control did not work adequately and she died after 4-5 hours due to overheating and exhaustion.

If you want to learn more: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/sputnik2.html has an 8-article series, spanning the entire mission from planning to aftermath.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: November 03, 2017, 10:50:52 AM

And one video recommendation:

Sentinel-5P prepared for liftoff

A 4K timelapse-video by ESA, featuring some nice shots of Rockot. The launcher consists of two stages of an SS-19 Stilleto ICBM topped of with Breeze-KM 3rd stage, the same engine that is used on the Proton's upper stage.
You can see it's ICBM heritage by the fact that it's launched out of a container. The Rockot rocket (hehe) is going to be phased out next year, so this probably one of the last opportunities to see it launch.

I quite like the Synth soundtrack as well, the artists work is on Soundcloud

Quote from: ESA
This timelapse video shows Sentinel-5P satellite, from final preparations to liftoff on a Rockot launcher, from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome in northern Russia, on 13 October 2017.

The Sentinels are a fleet of satellites designed to deliver the wealth of data and imagery that are central to the European Commission’s Copernicus programme.

This unique environmental monitoring programme is providing a step change in the way we view and manage our environment, understand and tackle the effects of climate change and safeguard everyday lives.

Sentinel-5 Precursor – also known as Sentinel-5P – is the first Copernicus mission dedicated to monitoring our atmosphere. The satellite carries the state-of-the-art Tropomi instrument to map a multitude of trace gases such as nitrogen dioxide, ozone, formaldehyde, sulphur dioxide, methane, carbon monoxide and aerosols – all of which affect the air we breathe and therefore our health, and our climate.

With a swath width of 2600 km, it will map the entire planet every day. Information from this new mission will be used through the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service for air quality forecasts and for decision-making.

The mission will also contribute to services such as volcanic ash monitoring for aviation safety and for services that warn of high levels of UV radiation, which can cause skin damage.
In addition, scientists will also use the data to improve our knowledge of important processes in the atmosphere related to the climate and to the formation of holes in the ozone layer.
Sentinel-5P was developed to reduce data gaps between the Envisat satellite – in particular the Sciamachy instrument – and the launch of Sentinel-5, and to complement GOME-2 on MetOp.
In the future, both the geostationary Sentinel-4 and polar-orbiting Sentinel-5 missions will monitor the composition of the atmosphere for Copernicus Atmosphere Services. Both missions will be carried on meteorological satellites operated by Eumetsat.
Until then, the Sentinel-5P mission will play a key role in monitoring and tracking air pollution.

Sentinel-5P is the result of close collaboration between ESA, the European Commission, the Netherlands Space Office, industry, data users and scientists. The mission has been designed and built by a consortium of 30 companies led by Airbus Defence and Space UK and NL.

Edit: Oh and the red smoke is unburned Unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine aka UDMH. Quite toxic. Despite that fact it is (was) popular as rocket propellant due to being hypergolic ie. it spontaneously ignites when coming in contact with it's oxidizer. Reliable ignition was one of the major problems in early rocketry, so this was quite a big advantage. I also can be stored and tanked at room temperature, making a rocket design easier compared to using Liquid Oxygen or any cryogenic components.

Some example of launcher that use UDMH (or a mixture of it): Delta II, Titan IV, Proton, Rockot, Ariane 1 to 4, Long March 2F
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:13:58 AM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: November 04, 2017, 01:42:55 AM

Google 'Project Loon', the high altitude balloons that are tested right now providing LTE coverage (by connecting to geostartionary satelites) for Puerto Rico.

Looking at those flightpaths I think an automated Zepplin, able to stay on position, might be a good alternative...

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: November 04, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

I'm sure right now they are saying "shit we forgot about wind changes!" It would be cool to see mini-drone-blimps with sat to LTE, but probably would have to be huge to have the power to counter winds at a high altitude.

Facebook has a winged high flying drone that might work better to loiter over an area:

https://www.wired.com/2016/07/facebooks-giant-internet-beaming-drone-finally-takes-flight/

However, Iridium's NEXT might just make these a moot point in 5-10 years.

- Viin
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: November 15, 2017, 12:22:38 PM

Sorry for not supplying part 2 of the Black Arrow write up. Mostly due to personal reasons.

Here is something low effort, but still nice:

CNES (the French space agency) released a 4K-quality (with sound) drone video of future launchpad of Ariane 6 (due 2020).

Note the giant flame ducts. And regarding the mobile launch tower: Once done it will be 90 meters high, weigh 8500 tons and move at a top speed of 0.36 km/h.  smiley

Addendum: It's basically the reverse concept of Ariane 5 or the Space Shuttle. Instead bringing the launcher on a giant crawler or rails (Ariane 5), once erection and payload integration is done, the building moves away from the launcher.

I honestly haven't looked into why this way is more efficient, but it's listed as one of the reasons the time of Ariane 6 start campaign is cut down to 10 days instead of 30 days of Ariane 5.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:23:40 PM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: November 15, 2017, 04:15:07 PM

And I totally forgot the second video:

Dream Chaser Free Flight Test 2017

Dreamchaser released by helicopter, landing automated. Looks great.

Addendum: If you watch closely there Dreamchaser is wobbling somewhat in the later part of the video. These are actually controlled inputs to test lateral stability of the craft and how well the control system copes in such situations.

Edit2: Just noticed, they even announce them on the radio circuit as "PTIs" (Programmed Test Input)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:28:12 PM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: November 15, 2017, 04:40:24 PM

Some rambling background info:

There is a good chance that Dreamchaser will fly on European rockets as well. ESA and  Sierra Nevada Cooperation are co-operating. ESA is developing the docking mechanism that Dreamchaser will need once it it's flying COTS cargo the ISS. There is also the DC4EU programme aimed at using the unmanned cargo version of Dreamchaser as a science platform, launched and used by ESA.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: November 15, 2017, 05:11:15 PM

Wow, you can't even see the strings when they fake it

Hic sunt dracones.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #958 on: November 15, 2017, 05:42:14 PM

Addendum: It's basically the reverse concept of Ariane 5 or the Space Shuttle. Instead bringing the launcher on a giant crawler or rails (Ariane 5), once erection and payload integration is done, the building moves away from the launcher.

I honestly haven't looked into why this way is more efficient, but it's listed as one of the reasons the time of Ariane 6 start campaign is cut down to 10 days instead of 30 days of Ariane 5.
I would assume that it is harder to drop a building than a launch stack, and even if you did, it would probably be cheaper.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: November 15, 2017, 05:56:04 PM

I would assume that it is harder to drop a building than a launch stack, and even if you did, it would probably be cheaper.

--Dave

My guess is to remove the bumping and twisting forces of moving laterally from the stacked rocket.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #960 on: November 18, 2017, 10:45:11 AM

Bob could never cope with Mondays if it weren't for the industrial coffee dispenser:

That's how fuelling a Galileo (satellite navigation system) satellite  looks like. And no, you don't want to drink Hydrazine.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:47:59 AM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: November 19, 2017, 12:44:54 PM

OTD 48 years ago Apollo 12 landed on the Moon. And they did so in walking distance of the Surveyor 3 probe that landed there 2 years earlier....  Just fucking cool. headache

Edit: More context by me: Surveyor 3 landed on on the Moon 2 years before the first humans. The Apollo 12 crew partly dismantled it and brought home it's camera.

It today remains the only probe visited by humans on another world.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:06:25 PM by calapine »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #962 on: November 19, 2017, 02:37:40 PM

I did not know that. That is cool.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #963 on: November 19, 2017, 03:13:02 PM

I hope I am not spamming.

Apollo 16 - Farting on the Moon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuv6TVv0r44

((I love how "yokel" an Astronaut can sound)))

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #964 on: November 22, 2017, 03:31:33 AM

While NASA, the ESA and all of those fake (((globalists))) are trying to cover up the reality of the flat earth, one brave crusader is going to expose the truth.

Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.

Hughes’s ultimate goal is a subsequent launch that puts him miles above the Earth, where the 61-year-old limousine driver hopes to photograph proof of the disc we all live on.

“It’ll shut the door on this ball earth,” Hughes said in a fundraising interview with a flat-Earth group for Saturday’s flight. Theories discussed during the interview included NASA being controlled by round-Earth Freemasons and Elon Musk making fake rockets from blimps.

Hughes promised the flat-Earth community that he would expose the conspiracy with his steam-powered rocket, which will launch from a heavily modified mobile home — though he acknowledged that he still had much to learn about rocket science.

“This whole tech thing,” he said in the June interview. “I’m really behind the eight ball.”

That said, Hughes isn’t a totally unproven engineer. He set a Guinness World Record in 2002 for a limousine jump, according to Ars Technica, and has been building rockets for years, albeit with mixed results.

“Okay, Waldo. 3 . . . 2 . . . 1!” someone yells in a test fire video from 2012.

There’s a brief hiss of boiling water, then . . . nothing. So Hughes walks up to the engine and pokes it with a stick, at which point a thick cloud of steam belches out toward the camera.

He built his first manned rocket in 2014, the Associated Press reported, and managed to fly a quarter-mile over Winkelman, Ariz.

As seen in a YouTube video, the flight ended with Hughes being dragged, moaning from the remains of the rocket. The injuries he suffered put him in a walker for two weeks, he said.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #965 on: November 22, 2017, 06:13:01 AM

I hope he's successful and doesn't die.

1) I want to see the mental gymnastics when he's confronted with a ball vs. a disc.
2) A death will only fuel secondary conspiracies about Big Science having sabotaged him to shut him up.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #966 on: November 22, 2017, 06:19:50 AM

...... Can't he just buy a plane ticket and look out the window?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: November 22, 2017, 06:20:41 AM

1) I want to see the mental gymnastics when he's confronted with a ball vs. a disc.

1800 feet up and while in a rattling contraption? No way. He anyway can't be doing this for the reasons he's stating, just using a simple hot air balloon is safer and easier to do. It's pure PR.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: November 22, 2017, 10:29:31 AM

Mike Hughes is not actually a Flat Earther. He's just a daredevil that's found a demographic that will support his stunts, as long as he recites the party line on camera.

Before he began espousing Flat Earth he was literally only raising like 300 dollars on Kickstarters to support his hobby, now he's raising thousands and getting much more public attention.

He's also probably going to kill himself Saturday, since his sense of safety makes Evil Knievel look like Ralph Nader.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #969 on: November 22, 2017, 10:47:14 AM

1800 feet up and while in a rattling contraption? No way. He anyway can't be doing this for the reasons he's stating, just using a simple hot air balloon is safer and easier to do. It's pure PR.
In a lot of places you can get more altitude from an afternoon walk in moderately hilly country.

Here's a video to show just what he considers as a safe rocket flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3feaiPcv6yE

Try not to cringe if you know anything about handling possible spinal injuries at the end.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #970 on: November 22, 2017, 11:44:15 AM

Thinking about it further, I guess it was a shrewd move by Hughes. After all, how many people here (including me) knew anything about him before now, and he has a long history of throwing himself into the air in items of dubious engineering. For whatever reason (and I'm kinda happy about it) the media doesn't seem to pay as much attention to the old school daredevil anymore.

So points for changing with the times. Claiming he's going to prove the flat earth is getting him write-ups in places that should know better, so good job for Hughes.

He's still probably going to kill himself Saturday, but at least now somebody will actually know about it (and claim conspiracy! to boot).
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: November 26, 2017, 09:49:02 AM

To those bothering to keep up, Mr. Hughes "delayed" his Saturday suicide. Apparently there are permits or something, or there was a mechanical issue -- anyway he'll do it later.

In the meantime, he's available for booking (at somewhat inflated rates -- he's a celebrity now you know) at your local fair and/or tractor pull.

So give him credit for manipulating a still gullible media, and an even more gullible public.

Mike Hughes for President 2020?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #972 on: November 28, 2017, 06:38:23 AM

Are any of you using the GOES-East satellite?  There will be an extended outage of data while a new satellite is moved into place.
https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES-16

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: November 28, 2017, 09:41:32 AM

Soyuz had an oopsy today:

There was an issue with the 3rd stage Fregat. According to prelimary information the stage was in the wrong oriention when starting it's first burn, thus sending the payload into the Atlantic rather than orbit.

Victims are Meteor-M 2-1b, a polar orbit weather satellite and 18 smaller co-passengers from Norway, Sweden, Germany, Japan and the US.

This is also somewhat embarrassing because it was only the second launch from Vostochny, the new Cosmodrome in the far east of Russia, designed to eventually replace Baikonur.

For context: Baikonur left, Vostochny right:

Here is Meteor-M 2-1

2017 - 2017 RIP
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:46:22 AM by calapine »

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: November 28, 2017, 09:52:11 AM

Is the Soyuz mistake online anywhere?

Nm, found it.

Why don't you try our other games?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #975 on: November 28, 2017, 12:06:33 PM

Russia didn't have a year without launch failure since 2009

Kinda sucks for country that achieved so much in space.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:41 PM

A quick SPACE story I wrote. It's all true, too:

2003-2006 Students of the Russian Bauman University build their own micro sat
2006 Bauments-1 is lost when its Denpr launcher crashes

2012-2014 Students of the Russian Bauman University build their own micro sat
2017 Bauments-2 is lost when its Soyuz launcher crashes

Ohhhhh, I see.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: November 28, 2017, 01:33:30 PM

Falcon Heavy remains the eternal space Godot. Launch now in 2019 (was: Nov 2018)

Officially, it's just bumped to December 2017. (Also, I think you might be living a year ahead, or I'm a year behind -- it is still 2017 right?)

I was going by unoffical info. And considering that the next CRS flight to the ISS is now scheduled for December it seems to be a pretty safe bet. But yes, I was already one year ahead in my head and meant to say 2018.

It's offical now. SpaceX confirmed to Avation Week that Falcon Heavy slips to 2018.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:35:12 PM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: December 14, 2017, 02:56:14 PM

"Just a nice pic"

This weeks launch of an Ariane 5, bringing 4 more Galileo (navigation satellites, like GPS) into orbit.

This makes 22, another launch next year 26 and the constellation is complete. Any more after that will be in-orbit spares.

Launch video with a somewhat peculiar soundtrack

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #979 on: December 14, 2017, 03:10:58 PM

for a brief second I thought that was Microsoft Explorer logos.  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 47 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread  
Jump to: