Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585285 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1330 on: March 26, 2014, 03:39:47 PM

Thanks Goldenmean: I think I'll probably go for "deduction" (and also, for a more "antagonistic" game for a change) and choose Letters. After all, although it's been ages (more like geological eras, but anyway...) since I've played it, I loved Scotland Yard back in the day.

Anyone in here ever played "Seasons"?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1331 on: March 26, 2014, 04:38:19 PM

Whitechapel is a great game. Plays two very well, but can also play 6 as a more convivial experience.

Season's I've heard has a bit of a steep learning curve, but I've not played it.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1332 on: March 26, 2014, 04:45:54 PM

One day I hope we manage to extend to a proper gaming group with some of our friends/relatives, but for now it's just the two of us. I was kinda reluctant on both Mansions and Whitechapel because they looked and sounded fun only for 4+ plus players no matter the min. requirement of two. (but I guess the concept applies to a lot of boardgames: the more the merrier?)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1333 on: March 26, 2014, 04:46:23 PM

Yep. It's a solid game if you like drafting mechanics. As with most drafting games, you'll probably be a bit lost the first time you play. Hard to properly weigh cards when you only have the vaguest idea of how the game works.

I'd almost suggest just randomly dealing the cards out the first time you play and just play a round or two to get hang of the mechanics before going back and actually settling in to play. I think that actually might be a variant mentioned in the rule book come to think of it.

It's probably a good step along a trajectory from Dominion. It's more random, but also a lot more interactive.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1334 on: March 26, 2014, 04:51:08 PM

Yep. It's a solid game if you like drafting mechanics. As with most drafting games, you'll probably be a bit lost the first time you play. Hard to properly weigh cards when you only have the vaguest idea of how the game works.

From the tutorials I watched on Youtube, I think the manual actually suggests some pre-made sets so you're not lost for the first few games you play, and I think we'll definitely take that approach. And DAMN, the art on the box and on the cards looks gorgeous.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1335 on: March 26, 2014, 07:12:17 PM

One day I hope we manage to extend to a proper gaming group with some of our friends/relatives, but for now it's just the two of us. I was kinda reluctant on both Mansions and Whitechapel because they looked and sounded fun only for 4+ plus players no matter the min. requirement of two. (but I guess the concept applies to a lot of boardgames: the more the merrier?)

Whitchapel is great two player. My GF quite enjoys it. In many ways two player is the 'best' experience.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1336 on: March 27, 2014, 08:44:27 AM

Ok, purchased DungeonQuest and Seasons (without the expansion). A friend came along with me (consider that the nearest shop specialized in boardgames is around 80-100km away, and it's basically the only one in all northern Italy :P) and he bought Carcassone basic set; then, just for some light-hearted fun (and because we both only read about it or watched some videos on Youtube), we also picked up Munchkin.

Anyways, he already owns Domaine, I have Dominion, so we can start switching and lending games to each other (although territory control/resources is not my kind of game).

And damn, while I was in the shop, I'm sure all those Descent boxes were calling my name, but I resisted  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

schild
Administrator

Reply #1337 on: March 27, 2014, 09:40:40 AM

Seasons is so good. I should really get the expansion. Drafting it is super fun and can be done 2-player.

Oh, also, I gave the Tokaido folks $110 of my American Dollars for Samurai level on their kickstarter. That game is like a screensaver for the brain.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1338 on: March 27, 2014, 12:55:39 PM

Seasons is so good. I should really get the expansion. Drafting it is super fun and can be done 2-player.

The expansion has some good stuff in it. It looks like they've got a second expansion that snuck out without me noticing it a couple of weeks ago as well. I will have stern words with my Friendly Local Game Store for not having that in: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/148166/seasons-path-of-destiny

Oh, also, I gave the Tokaido folks $110 of my American Dollars for Samurai level on their kickstarter. That game is like a screensaver for the brain.

I really hope I don't end up kicking myself for missing that at some point down the line. I've almost jumped on Tokaido a couple of times, but then I read all the reviews describing it as soothing and "very light" and I back away again.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1339 on: March 27, 2014, 01:10:15 PM

Also joined the Tokaido KS and the Meeplesource one.  Tokaido KS was too good to ignore.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1340 on: March 27, 2014, 02:58:17 PM

You can play Tokaido on boardgamearena if you want to see what you're missing. Seasons too.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1341 on: March 27, 2014, 08:26:16 PM

My FLGS is redeemed.

They did have the second Seasons expansion... And the new Descent expansion, and the new Netrunner data pack, and Lewis and Clark.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1342 on: March 28, 2014, 11:13:08 AM

I don't buy games at my FLGS because CoolStuffInc is America's FLGS. And also like 10% above wholesale.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1343 on: March 28, 2014, 02:29:09 PM

I don't buy games at my FLGS because CoolStuffInc is America's FLGS. And also like 10% above wholesale.

There's something to be said for supporting brick and mortar in your community, especially if they provide a space to play games as well as selling them. I view the extra money I spend as reinvesting back into the local community as a whole. Plus, I worked at a game store when I was younger, so there's nostalgia to speak for.

With that said, I will absolutely throw money at digital retailers rather than waiting for a local store to get it in, and more and more frequently I'm kickstarting games before they're even produced.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1344 on: March 28, 2014, 02:40:52 PM

I play at a brick and mortar on a weekly basis.  For every hour I spend there, I allocate a buck to my special game budget.  Then, I look at the games I want online and figure out what they cost.  Then, I buy stuff at the FLGS when I have enough money in my special game budget to make up the difference in costs.  That seems to be a good level of FLGS support to me...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1345 on: March 28, 2014, 03:27:11 PM

In Australia our cheapest prices (way more than the US) are all with online stores. However most of the ones I shop with also have ways to pick up locally. In Vic I just go to the shop they have (just a shop, no gaming space) and in Sydney the owner just delivers the games to the games night.

The other games spot is also at a store, but their prices are absurd and their range not as large, so mostly I just buy water... If they had a better range of sleeves I'd maybe buy them there.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #1346 on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:54 AM

Around 80% of everything I buy is from CSI (also just ordered the reprint to Lewis&Clark and some card games). The prices like Dr.Schild said are the most competitive.  Almost always better than Amazon (and they pay me).  Free shipping on orders >$100 also makes it worthwhile.  I still drop money at random FLGS, but I don't like the wall of Ravensburger puzzles plus Hasbro stuff so many of them clutter together.  Card Kingdom will always get my money.  They just need a better website.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1347 on: April 01, 2014, 01:50:20 PM

I tried a solo run of DungeonQuest: if you know the game, you'll probably guess how it ended  awesome, for real (more specifically, I was bit by a Vampire and slowly met my demise with lots of suffering involved).

Never played the original (1985, published by GW). I swear I remember the art of the original box, I might also have tried it, although my father said we never owned it (back in the middle of the eighties, he introduced me to Fantasy tabletop with Talisman and the "red box" D&D), but I must say the production value of the FFG edition is great: very nice quality of all the components (cards are a tad small, though).

Super random game, but great fun to see how you and your friends are gonna die  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? . Yeah, well, not really the "Dark Souls" of fantasy tabletop, but pure mindless fun (although it might get repetitive if played throughout consecutive sessions).

I mean, it's just great for what it is (and it's a pity there's no online version beside this very rough one, based on the 1st edition: http://superluminal.byethost9.com/dungeonquestV314/index.html) and I can't wait to play with more like-minded people.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1348 on: April 01, 2014, 03:14:13 PM

cry

Is there any way to still pledge on that?  Or are they perhaps selling more copies (At a higher price I'd imagine) to the general public after they ship the kickstarter copies?  Really bummed I missed that....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1349 on: April 01, 2014, 03:47:39 PM

When games you want to get are out of print is sucks.

Played El Grande last night for the first time. I am so predictable to myself it seems; thought I'd love it: loved it. Now annoyed it's not for sale anywhere. Trying to see if I can pick up a second hand copy of the decennial edition for about $75.

Got in more games of Tammany Hall - love it. I also got in a couple of game of A Study in Emerald, which I feel is a great game that might be hampered by needing a group of people who 'get it' for it to truly shine. Also played some Chicago Express and Age of Steam, just to show I can enjoy non-area control games too (though some spatial elements help).

Of that lot it seems that A Study in Emerald is probably the least cutthroat, which is pretty funny given it's the one where you can most directly attack other players.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: April 02, 2014, 09:49:11 AM

Is there any way to still pledge on that?  Or are they perhaps selling more copies (At a higher price I'd imagine) to the general public after they ship the kickstarter copies?  Really bummed I missed that....

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1144812/will-the-collectors-edition-be-available-for-retai

Looks like eventually you'll be able to buy everything except 18 kickstarter exclusive miniatures. In my experience though, there's generally a market for people selling their kickstarter exclusives or selling their kickstarter pledges when the pledge manager opens. It tends to be pretty gougey though

Avoiding that is how I justify throwing stupid money at every kickstarter that sparks my interest to myself.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1351 on: April 02, 2014, 10:03:47 AM

Played El Grande last night for the first time. I am so predictable to myself it seems; thought I'd love it: loved it. Now annoyed it's not for sale anywhere. Trying to see if I can pick up a second hand copy of the decennial edition for about $75

Pretty much the best area control game in my opinion. It's been way too long since I've played that. I should pull it off the shelf and put it back in rotation. I'm not even sure I've touched my Decennial Edition yet.

You're not a huge worker placement fan, are you? If you were, I'd recommend Belfort. Played it for the first time a couple of weeks back, and really enjoyed it. It's a worker placement/area control/card management hybrid with a fantasy city building theme.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1352 on: April 02, 2014, 10:19:55 AM

As a follow up to a conversation a couple of pages back, I finally got around to playing Madeira. It's definitely a very interesting game, and the random factor didn't bite me as much as I was afraid it would. It does feel like there's just too many aspects to each decision to properly analyze, but further plays would help mitigate that.

We did screw up one rule that would have made it a lot better. In the last two scoring rounds, you score multiple tiles, which can theoretically have the same scoring condition. We missed that if you score multiples you need to score with different things, you can't just say "These 3 ships score for this tile, and these same 3 ships score for this identical tile". As is, we all kind of picked our strategy early and just made sure to acquire tiles that scored off of it to collect lots of free points. If we'd been playing properly we would have had to diversify strategy more.

Anyway, I keep thinking about it, which is my sign of a good game. If you like complicated "blender full of different mechanics" games and don't mind some randomness, it's worth checking out.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1353 on: April 02, 2014, 03:29:54 PM

Played El Grande last night for the first time. I am so predictable to myself it seems; thought I'd love it: loved it. Now annoyed it's not for sale anywhere. Trying to see if I can pick up a second hand copy of the decennial edition for about $75

Pretty much the best area control game in my opinion. It's been way too long since I've played that. I should pull it off the shelf and put it back in rotation. I'm not even sure I've touched my Decennial Edition yet.

You're not a huge worker placement fan, are you? If you were, I'd recommend Belfort. Played it for the first time a couple of weeks back, and really enjoyed it. It's a worker placement/area control/card management hybrid with a fantasy city building theme.

The further a game goes from spatial shared/conflict elements the less likely I am to enjoy it, I find. Though of course there are always exceptions (I love card games and partnership card games especially). I like board gaming because it's social, so I enjoy games that make use of player interaction, and because it's also physical, so I enjoy games which have spatial elements (like area control). Fiddly involved things I find have better (much better) experiences available in computer games, and so I'm not really interested in them as board experiences.

Belfort I've read up on a bit. It's on my 'like to play' list, though I'm not sure I want to spend the money (it's like $70AUD here) to buy it myself before having played it. If a game has player boards (which aren't simple notation or text/rule reminders) I'm immediately looking at it with a skeptical eye.

I'd put El Grande on a level with Tammany Hall and Chaos in the Old World at the moment. All very similar in fundamentals, but different in emphasis in fun ways.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1354 on: April 02, 2014, 10:22:24 PM

Belfort I've read up on a bit. It's on my 'like to play' list, though I'm not sure I want to spend the money (it's like $70AUD here) to buy it myself before having played it. If a game has player boards (which aren't simple notation or text/rule reminders) I'm immediately looking at it with a skeptical eye.

I'd put El Grande on a level with Tammany Hall and Chaos in the Old World at the moment. All very similar in fundamentals, but different in emphasis in fun ways.

Yeah, based on your preferences, I doubt that Belfort is worth the money to you. It's much more of a worker placement with a touch of area control than it is an area control with a touch of worker placement.

I should take a look at Tammany Hall. Haven't played that one.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1355 on: April 03, 2014, 12:48:01 AM

Whoa, I've seen a tutorial of "Merchants and Marauders" and it seems really really good  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

schild
Administrator

Reply #1356 on: April 03, 2014, 03:52:42 PM

Played it last week, it's not bad. Art is inconsistent. Some of the design choices are a bit iffy. Never had to engage in combat.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1357 on: April 03, 2014, 04:06:56 PM

Played Francis Drake. Was.. ok? Found it a little too bloated maybe.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1358 on: April 03, 2014, 05:29:04 PM

Played it last week, it's not bad. Art is inconsistent. Some of the design choices are a bit iffy. Never had to engage in combat.

Combat is...ok. (Played it once)  The boarding mechanic seems really off.  Once you start a boarding attack one side will be destroyed completely every time no matter what and you can't counter it, but the way the mechanics work it takes very little luck for a very small ship to board a very large ship and just completely wipe it out.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #1359 on: April 04, 2014, 02:40:18 AM

Can someone recommend a good and detailed walkthrough for PACG?  I'm no longer convinced I know how to play.  Losing to the clock a lot, for example.  Happening way too often. No idea how to play Lini.  And suspicious that every character has to be a meathead to win.  I like playing Lem, but all I'm doing is playing him with offensive spells and developing him just for ranged combat. That seems dumb, unless these other skills like diplomacy or acrobatics are never really useful?  Is the game just combat grinds? I just don't have the wherewithal to read 3000 threads, like Selinker claims he's done. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1360 on: April 04, 2014, 10:28:23 AM

Diplomacy is often used for gaining allies, Acrobatics for defeating barriers, etc. But yes, your combat stats are probably most important. It's a card game approximation of D&D, after all.

How many people/characters are you playing with?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1361 on: April 04, 2014, 11:39:04 AM

I wish the difficulty in mmo could ramp up as well as you add more players as it does with PACG. I need to get back to it and do the next adventure pack but minecraft.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1362 on: April 04, 2014, 04:50:18 PM

I'm looking for a game that my family can play. Boy is 5, girl 10. Something with movable pieces, but themed, that the kids would enjoy.
Ideas?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1363 on: April 04, 2014, 07:04:14 PM

My daughter likes:  forbidden island, king of Tokyo, rampage,  lords of waterdeep...
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1364 on: April 04, 2014, 09:29:36 PM

I'm looking for a game that my family can play. Boy is 5, girl 10. Something with movable pieces, but themed, that the kids would enjoy.
Ideas?

We just got Hey That's My Fish.  It's a somewhat abstract with cute little penguin figures.  It takes about 20 minutes to play and it's not too expensive. 
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: