Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 03:13:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 82 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cracks starting to show?  (Read 561661 times)
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #2240 on: July 31, 2011, 09:13:04 PM

No levelling *and* people aren't trying to learn a totally new playstyle due to a complete talent/class rewrite.  The first heroic went down the first week, and the % success for encounters is much much higher than it was for the initial encounters in the last tier.  Rag at 14%, that's higher than Cho'gal was when they were talking about releasing Firelands the first time.

Firelands is mechanically easy, but loads of people are phoning it in, being passengers, or just waiting on other releases.  I don't think the live team has made any intentional change to the raid difficulty.  As with the first tier the raids are unforgiving, you still need 8 people doing the right things and there are many 1-shot kill or 1-mistake wipe mechanics in play.  They've also worked themselves into a corner with shield users block capping in this tier, makes life horrible for Druid or DK tanks on fights with a frenzy mechanic where 2-3 unmitigated hits are death.

The challenge in the encounters has been spread across the raid; there is a higher situational awareness requirement than in past expansions.  We got through a lot of the last tier by placing all the critical elements on 1 or 2 players to mitigate the lower situation awareness of our raiders, but this tier has less leeway in that regard.  My gujild was more successful last tier, but we're being spastic and that does not reflect on any differences in difficulty in the encounters.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2241 on: August 02, 2011, 04:07:40 PM

Quarterly financial report soon, isn't it?

Also:
Go here - http://tess2.uspto.gov/
Basic Word Mark Search (New User)
Type "Pandaria"
Click 'Submit Query'

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2242 on: August 02, 2011, 04:15:55 PM

The only stuff they have done trademarks like that to date for are full games, expansions, and trading card game expansions, and this one doesn't have the right codes/keywords to be a TCG thing. So I guess we're looking at an expansion name, unless they've suddenly decided to start trademarking the names of content patches.

EDIT: I'm probably jumping the gun speculation-wise. It could be something like a Facebook game, too. Or mobile. That would make a lot of sense I think.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:18:42 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2243 on: August 02, 2011, 04:36:59 PM

I think the fact that there is no info on the next patch is kind of shitty.  Not that I care really, I am soooo done with WoW when SWTOR comes out.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2244 on: August 02, 2011, 05:04:24 PM

Quarterly financial report soon, isn't it?
Yes, tomorrow -August 3- at 1:30 according to the AB site.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2245 on: August 02, 2011, 05:04:32 PM

Panda expansion = shark jump

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2246 on: August 02, 2011, 05:06:43 PM

I would guess that "Mists of Pandaria" is some side-project and not the next expansion. I hope I'm wrong though. I'd really love Pandaran as a playable race, and Brewmaster seems like a class with a lot of potential.

Panda expansion = shark jump

Fuck you ;p
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2247 on: August 02, 2011, 05:10:37 PM

Hey, it'd be a fun expac and I'll prolly get it but fuck man, it's the most obvious shark jump ever.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2248 on: August 02, 2011, 05:23:23 PM

Other Western MMOs have done "Asian-themed" expansions without feeling too ridiculous. I'm not sure what the big story would be convincing a bunch of level 85s that just killed deathwing that they need to go to Pandaria.

Old gods obviously. They're fucking up the Pandarian now!  Ohhhhh, I see.

The only other obvious expansion ideas I've heard have all seemed extremely boring. A continuation of the Burning Legion story line? Tired. Demon-hunter would be the obvious hero class choice there, and they said they wanted the next hero class to be a healer iirc.

I would be greatly surprised if the next expansion had new races, that's another factor that makes "Mists of Pandaria" an unlikely expansion. One can hope though, this would be a really refreshing concept for a WoW expansion.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2249 on: August 02, 2011, 05:36:12 PM

For those too lazy to follow the earlier searching instructions:

If this 'is' a WoW expansion, then yeah, Shark Week isn't a big enough event to cover how LOL this jump will be.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2250 on: August 02, 2011, 05:41:13 PM

There will be no more hero classes.  They originally said they'd do a healer next, then 2 years of balancing DKs and trying to find a unique role for them always getting it wrong* and then trying to balance them again after release made them say "Know what.. no. It'll be races because classes fucks up too much other stuff."  That was at Blizzcon 2009, IIRC during one of the Q/As.

If it were a new Xpac involving the Pandarens, though, you'd see much bitching without -at the very least- a Monk or Brewmaster class. So I'd wager Ingmar was more correct that it's an offshoot product.  It makes more sense and doesn't toss a lot of extra work onto the maintenance project that is WoW.

*(Hint: they're still massivly overpowered at low gear levels they just scale horribly)

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2251 on: August 02, 2011, 05:50:45 PM

DK Balance was compounded by the "Every spec can tank!" design. Something a bit more straight forward would be less of a pain in the ass to balance. Also, I think in a lot of ways they were referring to PVP balance which I don't give a shit about.

We already have two healer/dps hybrids (shaman, priest), and frankly the brewmaster kit from WC3 was like a WoW shaman, so maybe not :-\
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2252 on: August 02, 2011, 05:53:22 PM

Basically everything interesting from the War3 hero units has already been cannibalized into existing classes at this point.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2253 on: August 02, 2011, 06:05:03 PM

Other Western MMOs have done "Asian-themed" expansions without feeling too ridiculous. I'm not sure what the big story would be convincing a bunch of level 85s that just killed deathwing that they need to go to Pandaria.

Old gods obviously. They're fucking up the Pandarian now!  Ohhhhh, I see.

The only other obvious expansion ideas I've heard have all seemed extremely boring. A continuation of the Burning Legion story line? Tired. Demon-hunter would be the obvious hero class choice there, and they said they wanted the next hero class to be a healer iirc.

I would be greatly surprised if the next expansion had new races, that's another factor that makes "Mists of Pandaria" an unlikely expansion. One can hope though, this would be a really refreshing concept for a WoW expansion.

While I'd be cool with a Pandaria expansion, I don't find the Burning Legion storyline particularly tired, not like I find the Old Gods to be. And yes, I know the two are probably intertwined somewhat (of course they are), but still. I'd not mind at all having a good, solid demon expansion, telling us more about what Sargeras' problem is, what the hell the Titans are even up to, etc. The problem, of course, is their writing still sucks monkey nut, so the likelihood of it being satisfying is pretty low. They need to get off the goddamn Old God theme though. They aren't interesting, they aren't scary, they're just a boring plot device that needs to go away for an expansion or two.

God Save the Horn Players
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2254 on: August 02, 2011, 06:15:02 PM

There will be no more hero classes.  They originally said they'd do a healer next, then 2 years of balancing DKs and trying to find a unique role for them always getting it wrong* and then trying to balance them again after release made them say "Know what.. no. It'll be races because classes fucks up too much other stuff."  That was at Blizzcon 2009, IIRC during one of the Q/As.

If it were a new Xpac involving the Pandarens, though, you'd see much bitching without -at the very least- a Monk or Brewmaster class. So I'd wager Ingmar was more correct that it's an offshoot product.  It makes more sense and doesn't toss a lot of extra work onto the maintenance project that is WoW.

*(Hint: they're still massivly overpowered at low gear levels they just scale horribly)

DKs are hardly the only class that's massively overpowered at low gear levels.

Over and out.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2255 on: August 02, 2011, 06:15:42 PM

I remember back when AQ40 came out and C'thun/the old gods actually seemed badass.

That was a long time ago.

TBC had a big enough focus on demons that I just don't see there being a lot of new ground to cover with an expansion based on the burning legion again. Hell, TBC had a bigger emphasis on demons than Wrath did on undead.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2256 on: August 02, 2011, 06:16:08 PM

What blatant pandaring to the base.

Thanks folks, I'll be here all night.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2257 on: August 02, 2011, 06:17:51 PM

I can bearly contain my excitement.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2258 on: August 02, 2011, 06:37:54 PM

What will Lantyssa do if she could actually play a panda, but had to play WoW to do it?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2259 on: August 02, 2011, 09:02:19 PM

I remember back when AQ40 came out and C'thun/the old gods actually seemed badass.

That was a long time ago.

TBC had a big enough focus on demons that I just don't see there being a lot of new ground to cover with an expansion based on the burning legion again. Hell, TBC had a bigger emphasis on demons than Wrath did on undead.

Honestly, during TBC, while we fought a lot of demons, it didn't really feel like it ... talked about them much. There was a lot of "oh hey, non-fel orcs" (and hello to you, Garrosh!) and "huh, Kael'thas is up to shit" (but you'll never really get to see what unless you raid, you just have to accept he's doing shit, okay?) and "why the fuck does the Alliance even give a shit about any of this " (because shut up that's why), but pretty much nothing about "what demons are, where they come from, and wtf they want." It was really more about Illidan and Outland than demons. They were involved, of course, especially in the blood elf storyline, but it didn't develop them. They exist, they're EEEEEEE-VUL, annnnnd ... that's about it. Nothing changed about them and what we know about them. They are in the exact same place after TBC as they were pre-TBC.

WotLK, on the other hand, had the Lich King hanging over everything, and that story went somewhere. Which was good! Its clearer focus was part of what made that expansion so much better than TBC. We learned about who Arthas was and how he came to be the Lich King (lots of people who play WoW didn't play WC3, remember), how he fucked various people's lives and how they dealt with it, if he could be redeemed, what would happen without him (stupid or not (and it was), it was still a development), and then the Arthas Chapter was definitively resolved. And the Scourge is now in a very different place after WotLK than they were pre-WotLK.

The Burning Legion could use a WotLK-caliber treatment, frankly.

God Save the Horn Players
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2260 on: August 02, 2011, 09:05:12 PM

Ha, dear lord.

MISTS OF PANDARIA being the expansion would be going from cracks to full-blown dam-breaking fissures.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #2261 on: August 03, 2011, 06:29:42 AM

Ha, dear lord.

MISTS OF PANDARIA being the expansion would be going from cracks to full-blown dam-breaking fissures.

I'm not saying it's a good idea but I'm a bit curious how you think some clown shoe lore is going to break WoW's back at this point.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2262 on: August 03, 2011, 06:42:08 AM

What will Lantyssa do if she could actually play a panda, but had to play WoW to do it?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
It won't be a red panda, so I'm safe.

It's not like I didn't give in to the Goblins and Worgen, even if it was for an excessively short time.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2263 on: August 03, 2011, 07:06:35 AM

Ah, but my prediction is that Pandaran will be available to *both* sides.  See, when the cataclysm hit the catastrophe caused a schism in what used to be the peaceful isle of Pandaria.  You see, [blahblah, wave hands, hey what's that over there!] and that's why the black and white Pandaran will join the Alliance and the never before seen red Pandaran will join the Horde.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2264 on: August 03, 2011, 07:41:48 AM

You're talking about these guys as a playable race, right?

Yeah, fucking clownshoes. Entire expansion would be one big joke.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2265 on: August 03, 2011, 08:16:19 AM

I'm hoping it's a joke.  Why do mmo designers always feel the need to release an asian themed expansion with a monk class when they run out of other ideas?
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2266 on: August 03, 2011, 08:33:45 AM

"We took our game and drew a beard on it, now play it for the next two years."

"Haha, pandas, awesome.  But no thanks."
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2267 on: August 03, 2011, 08:53:26 AM

Doesn't the Chinese government have all kinds of rules about how pandas are supposed to be portrayed?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2268 on: August 03, 2011, 09:04:16 AM

Doesn't the Chinese government have all kinds of rules about how pandas are supposed to be portrayed?

That's been a rumor for years, but Kung-Fu Panda 1&2 were both released in China with nothing more than protests.

Like most thing, I'm going to say it all depends on who you bribe, and if the bureaucrat in charge is OK with it.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2269 on: August 03, 2011, 10:04:30 AM

You're talking about these guys as a playable race, right?

You realize this is wow right? Of course it would be a joke and of course, they'd still do it.

Truth be told this is just another desperation move to retain players/grab new ones.  They are just running out of things the fans have been asking for now they added goblins,worgen and deathwing, pandaren are really the last unexplored bit in the whole wowverse besides sargeras and he'll be the last expac anyways.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2270 on: August 03, 2011, 10:37:30 AM

I'm hoping it's a joke.  Why do mmo designers always feel the need to release an asian themed expansion with a monk class when they run out of other ideas?
Because they've run out of other ideas? Was that a trick question or summit?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2271 on: August 03, 2011, 11:23:59 AM

So anyone get in on the investor call?  Paelos, you seem to have spare time.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2272 on: August 03, 2011, 11:24:35 AM

That's been a rumor for years, but Kung-Fu Panda 1&2 were both released in China with nothing more than protests.

Like most thing, I'm going to say it all depends on who you bribe, and if the bureaucrat in charge is OK with it.

I've told this story before, but I have a friend who worked in the marketing department at Blizzard at the time that they were planning TBC and he swears the Chinese government/pandaren thing was true. They had their first presentation ready to go for the expansion reveal, which was going to be about Pandaren, and then ended up having to scramble to get something presentable about the Blood Elves instead because they didn't have *anything* to show for the Draenei, not even much concept art was ready by the time the first info was scheduled to be released. I have no reason to think he was lying about it. They've probably had Pandaren stuff waiting around ready to go for whenever the Chinese govt. changes their tune.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2273 on: August 03, 2011, 11:44:20 AM

They've probably had Pandaren stuff waiting around ready to go for whenever the Chinese govt. changes their tune.

I think they're already in the game. Take a look at the Tuskarr and see if you can tell me honestly that they're blatantly not reappropriated Pandaren models. Tweaked a bit, new textures slapped on, voila! A rotund race that uses up a wasted art resource. The quality of animations is very much PC over NPC, too.
I like the Tuskarr, mind you. But I'm certain they're Pandaren mk I.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2274 on: August 03, 2011, 12:02:44 PM

I heard that the real issue about pandaren wasn't that they were panda-men, but Japanese panda-men (seriously, look at all of Samwise' earlier fursona Pandaren art. Katana and sake everywhere). As you might imagine, that probably wouldn't go down that well in China.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 82 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show?  
Jump to: