Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civ 5 requires Steam? or Gabe Newell touched me riiight... there. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civ 5 requires Steam? or Gabe Newell touched me riiight... there.  (Read 92748 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #175 on: October 03, 2010, 10:01:35 AM

Sinij, do you post prolifically on civfanatics? All your complaints are mirrors of a very vocal minority on there. Most 50+ year old shut ins, as far as I can tell.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: October 03, 2010, 03:39:30 PM

No, I don't post on civfanatics, but that doesn't make my issues any more/less valid.

2K games are yet get back to me on refund process. I am not amused.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:41:30 PM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #177 on: October 03, 2010, 03:59:10 PM

I am.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: October 03, 2010, 04:00:31 PM

So...if I'm reading this thread right, Sinij is a pirate who hasn't paid for a game in two years and is now bitching because The Man is trying to make a living?

Didn't notice first time around. No, I am not a pirate. My computer doesn't have a single pirated program or even P2P client installed.

I simply didn't buy or play any of DRMed games. Last game I purchased before Civ5 was Elemental.

I did the same thing with my music - when RIAA started suing and/or harassing people for copying music they *purchased* I stopped buying. If you don't play nice, you don't get my money.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:01:58 PM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #179 on: October 03, 2010, 06:34:57 PM

I simply didn't buy or play any of DRMed games.

That he knows about.   why so serious?
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #180 on: October 03, 2010, 09:29:22 PM

Thanks Cal. I'll make her try it out and see if it's a purchase!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 04, 2010, 05:26:44 AM

Impulse, Gamersgate and GOG 4eveh. Why do you think Steam does specials? Because the other sites started doing them and they had to compete. Most of the good Indie stuff on steam you can get on the other download sites anyway, and anything that's not I can live without.

Actually that's wrong.  Steam started doing sales because they did a experiment of putting Left 4 Dead (only available on steam) on sale for something ridiculous like 50% or more off for a single weekend and realized they can make more money by discounting games than by selling them at full price.  After that they got other publishers on board and learned how to do constant sales correctly.

It has nothing to do with competition, they know how to convince you to get your money.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: October 04, 2010, 05:31:15 AM

Rather, they learned how to do it. Which is something pretty rare in this industry  awesome, for real.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: October 04, 2010, 06:25:50 AM

Rather, they learned how to do it. Which is something pretty rare in this industry  awesome, for real.

I think they realized that people just aren't going to pay full price for a lot of games, but that doesn't mean they won't pay ANYTHING for a lot of games.   There is a certain critical level where I'll buy almost anything I'm remotely interested in, but I won't touch most of it for full price.

If this becomes standard in the industry, i think it can only be a good thing.  I'm fine with shelling out full price for a game I REALLY want, and will play long term, and will play on day 1.  Other than that though, I have a hard time justifying.  Hell, you can get Global Agenda right now for 20 bucks and I still haven't pulled the trigger even though its one of the only games even attempting MMO FPS at the moment.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: October 04, 2010, 06:28:31 AM

I simply didn't buy or play any of DRMed games. Last game I purchased before Civ5 was Elemental.

I did the same thing with my music - when RIAA started suing and/or harassing people for copying music they *purchased* I stopped buying. If you don't play nice, you don't get my money.

I am Jack's massively overinflated sense of entitlement.

Just as there is no right to listen to music there is no right to play a game.  Suck it up and buy the goods and services that are offered to you that you want or don't.  This endless whining over something inconsequential is borderline psychotic.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: October 04, 2010, 06:42:31 AM

I think they realized that people just aren't going to pay full price for a lot of games, but that doesn't mean they won't pay ANYTHING for a lot of games.   There is a certain critical level where I'll buy almost anything I'm remotely interested in, but I won't touch most of it for full price.

In my case (and judging from other posts on here) they are also good at putting games cheap enough so people will buy games they will actually never play.  They know the impulse prices for games and how to execute it.  I know I've spent about a good $100 on game sales on steam that I have yet to touch.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: October 04, 2010, 06:51:15 AM

I've tons of indie games I've barely fired up, if that. I've just bought them because, hey it's cheap, hey it looks kinda interesting, and hey it's an indie developer :shobon:.

There are also a few games I'm waiting for when they go below 20 euro or thereabouts before I buy them, even if they're "AAA" games, simply because I know that I'm currently too stuck with eve and minecraft to really waste money on full-price games I might not like.

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: October 04, 2010, 07:11:36 AM

In my case (and judging from other posts on here) they are also good at putting games cheap enough so people will buy games they will actually never play.  They know the impulse prices for games and how to execute it.  I know I've spent about a good $100 on game sales on steam that I have yet to touch.

Bingo.  I have at least 30 Steam games that I have yet to install.  Developers have received money for games I may never play.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #188 on: October 04, 2010, 07:23:54 AM

I'm willing to give anything a shot on steam is it's remotely interesting and under $20. That's been proven several times with games like King Arthur and Mount and Blade. I think it's a great thing that these guys get a shot.

Hell, I think if the Minecraft dude ever "finishes" his product he should go on Steam and sell it for $20 a head. He'd make enough to be set for life.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: October 04, 2010, 07:54:26 AM

Bingo.  I have at least 30 Steam games that I have yet to install.  Developers have received money for games I may never play.

I can't say I've gone to this degree yet myself.  Even if something is under 5 bucks I won't buy it unless I intend to play it.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: October 04, 2010, 08:05:04 AM

Not even "I've no idea what that is, but it looks like it might be interesting, and it's cheap as fuck. I'll purchase it and see how it is."?

That's dangerous, that is.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: October 04, 2010, 09:25:13 AM

I can't say I've gone to this degree yet myself.  Even if something is under 5 bucks I won't buy it unless I intend to play it.

It's not really that I buy games with no intent to play it.  It's just that I have the desire to play it when I get a chance, and it's on sale for cheap enough that I might as well get it now for later playing.  .... And then I just never get around to it.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #192 on: October 04, 2010, 10:47:52 AM

It's not really that I buy games with no intent to play it.  It's just that I have the desire to play it when I get a chance, and it's on sale for cheap enough that I might as well get it now for later playing.  .... And then I just never get around to it.

Yeah I've totally done this myself. I INTEND to play the game, then I never really do.

God Save the Horn Players
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: October 04, 2010, 11:43:24 AM

I'm willing to give anything a shot on steam is it's remotely interesting and under $20. That's been proven several times with games like King Arthur and Mount and Blade. I think it's a great thing that these guys get a shot.

Hell, I think if the Minecraft dude ever "finishes" his product he should go on Steam and sell it for $20 a head. He'd make enough to be set for life.

He's making 350,000 a DAY. I think he's already well at that point.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #194 on: October 04, 2010, 12:13:24 PM

Nah, it's nowhere near that much. He's made about $3.2M if he's selling it for $10 a head in revenue. That's only 320,000ish copies. It's a great amount for one dude, but not nearly the kind of sales you'd get off Steam, distributed to a set audience, with solid word of mouth. He could easily crush 1M copies sold and live off interest for the rest of his life.

Gotta think big!

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: October 04, 2010, 01:09:28 PM

I could live off 3.2M for the rest of my life easily.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: October 04, 2010, 01:15:25 PM

I could live off 3.2M for the rest of my life easily.

This.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: October 04, 2010, 01:22:10 PM

You clearly have more modest needs re: hookers and blow than many of us.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #198 on: October 04, 2010, 02:09:37 PM

You clearly have more modest needs re: hookers and blow than many of us.

Pretty much. Also, why not go for the gusto? It's not like he's paying anybody. Toss that sucker on steam, let them have their 50% cut or whatever, and watch the numbers while you kick back in your money hat.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: October 04, 2010, 03:26:47 PM

I suspect once you've invested yourself in a project like that, you can't walk away from it easily. I'm glad he's done well out of it.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #200 on: October 04, 2010, 03:30:29 PM

The Minecraft guy is expanding his operation, hiring people, leasing an office, etc.  I don't know if it's primarily because he wants a bigger money hat or because he wants to make the game better faster than he could on his own.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: October 06, 2010, 01:32:18 PM

All I know is that I was able to by the entire Xcom collection for $9.99 with the patches and windows compatibility and all of that. So  I could finally toss the floppies.

Although I'd kill for a ported version of Darklands with a graphics font and resolution that I can actually read.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
WayAbvPar

Reply #202 on: October 06, 2010, 01:58:54 PM

All I know is that I was able to by the entire Xcom collection for $9.99 with the patches and windows compatibility and all of that. So  I could finally toss the floppies.

Although I'd kill for a ported version of Darklands with a graphics font and resolution that I can actually read.

Oh god please! I tried playing it with DOS-Box but it was buggy as hell and only played in a tiny window. I loved that damned game.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: October 06, 2010, 02:22:43 PM

Nah, it's nowhere near that much. He's made about $3.2M if he's selling it for $10 a head in revenue. That's only 320,000ish copies. It's a great amount for one dude, but not nearly the kind of sales you'd get off Steam, distributed to a set audience, with solid word of mouth. He could easily crush 1M copies sold and live off interest for the rest of his life.

Gotta think big!
Well, he has made about half of that. The rest is taxes.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: October 06, 2010, 03:31:40 PM

Oh god please! I tried playing it with DOS-Box but it was buggy as hell and only played in a tiny window. I loved that damned game.

You can still find the 1.7 patch which makes it playable. But man. I just can't read that gothic font in whatever crappy resolution that is any more. :/

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: October 06, 2010, 05:24:58 PM

Well, he has made about half of that. The rest is taxes.
I'd still be set for life with that much.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
WayAbvPar

Reply #206 on: October 07, 2010, 07:30:09 AM

You can still find the 1.7 patch which makes it playable. But man. I just can't read that gothic font in whatever crappy resolution that is any more. :/

Yeah, it is pretty tough on the eyes. I had a bug too where the entire screen on the text options would be black, but I could clear it with the cursor enough to read it. It eventually became too much of a pain in the ass to bother. Would love to see someone update it with new graphics and a better UI. The core game itself was awesome.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #207 on: October 07, 2010, 08:45:30 AM

Where is this 1.7 patch?  I have Darklands on "COMPACT disc DIGITAL DATA" media.  When I was playing it, it would always crash as soon as a demon appeared in combat.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: October 07, 2010, 09:00:58 PM

Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: October 07, 2010, 09:06:53 PM

Yeah, it is pretty tough on the eyes. I had a bug too where the entire screen on the text options would be black, but I could clear it with the cursor enough to read it. It eventually became too much of a pain in the ass to bother. Would love to see someone update it with new graphics and a better UI. The core game itself was awesome.

I have been a smidge tempted by the idea of extracting the game files and wrapping it in ObjectivC or something. But then I remember I have a life and I'm not in college any more.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civ 5 requires Steam? or Gabe Newell touched me riiight... there.  
Jump to: