Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:13:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1338734 times)
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #3850 on: October 23, 2017, 04:38:54 PM

Right, Slow News Day and P2P! Thank you.

Corp News I actually did remember, its visual theme was tied to the name, but it hadn't been one of my main stops. 

edited to fix "it's"
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:14:19 PM by Severian »
schild
Administrator

Reply #3851 on: October 23, 2017, 05:08:49 PM

Right, Slow News Day and P2P! Thank you.

Corp News I actually did remember, it's visual theme was tied to the name, but it hadn't been one of my main stops.

Many of them were convinced I would implode into a singularity of bad taste within six months.

I don't think they even lasted until I got hyped for I am Legend.   awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3852 on: October 23, 2017, 06:12:30 PM

Corpnews was where the bulk of the trolly/ mostly-angsty people resided. Boogaleboo, Rasputin, Pika, Zen, etc. It was around from the LTM days forward, just had more or less popularity depending on the Lum-spawn sites' current status. I understand it originally started only as a way to scam Press passes to GDC; The Moorlocks was the site that had any real 'legitimacy' for that crew.

Lum became SND when Scott took the gaming job. Then SND had the drama wherein Eldin stole all the money and it imploded and splintered. Most went to P2P, run by Angel and Grimwell started a site in there somewhere, which was short-lived as mentioned. Saddened me as Grim's site was far better than Angel's, IMO.

Then Waterthread started and folks picked it up from wherever and migrated here where it then became F13.

Thus ends my brief recounting of the history.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3853 on: October 23, 2017, 06:16:09 PM

Everybody is forgetting The Morlocks.  Heartbreak

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3854 on: October 23, 2017, 06:45:56 PM

I did not. I just misspelled them.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3855 on: October 23, 2017, 06:48:34 PM

I did not. I just misspelled them.

Fair enough.  That was easily my favorite of the splinter sites, though.  Some of you guys are still here tho, which is pretty rad.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #3856 on: October 24, 2017, 01:48:47 AM

Conspiracy theory du jour is that it was all just a 4chan "op" that led to NeoGAFs demise and not, you know, the conduct of ist owner.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3857 on: October 24, 2017, 06:22:13 AM

That was easily my favorite of the splinter sites, though.  Some of you guys are still here tho, which is pretty rad.
I liked the Morlocks, EFP was probably my favorite poster there. I still have so many registration emails and correspondence from that era. It's a shame to think I wasted all that time back then. Getting my home server hacked by a disgruntled forum poster wasn't cool though...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3858 on: October 24, 2017, 07:39:20 AM

EFP... THAT"S who I couldn't remember the other day.

He was that era's RK47. Miss that guy... and RK, too, now that I think about it. Where the hell did he go.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3859 on: October 24, 2017, 08:02:49 AM

No idea, but I know that wherever they are, they float.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #3860 on: October 24, 2017, 10:25:01 AM

CorpNews was a way for Poppinfresh to scam E3 passes as a gaming journalist.

The astounding thing is that it actually worked for a few years.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3861 on: October 24, 2017, 11:43:37 AM

I thought that was what front pages were /for/.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3862 on: October 24, 2017, 12:47:26 PM

It WAS back when E3 was something worth attending.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3863 on: October 24, 2017, 01:05:47 PM

Ah right,  it was E3 not GDC. I’m old.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #3864 on: October 24, 2017, 02:09:34 PM

For a recent reminder of how video game publishers see their audience ( as money dispensers mostly) watch Jim Steling‘s latest Jimquisition about a company called „Scientific Revenue“ that wants to „turn players into payers“.

It’s basically everything we ever thought would eventually happen rolled into one large shit sandwich. Including targeted pricing, data mining the shit out of player behavior, strategies to turn “more players into whales and dolphins”, the evil playbook of “player retention strategies” with a side of machine learning and cloud services. Packaged as an “easily integrateable” plugins available for all major game engines and middleware frameworks.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3865 on: October 24, 2017, 02:30:43 PM

Jim Sterling's been banging that drum for a while.  Meanwhile, I never got the free E3 pass that was promised to me years ago and I'm still bitter about it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3866 on: October 24, 2017, 02:40:08 PM

Jim Sterling's been banging that drum for a while.  Meanwhile, I never got the free E3 pass that was promised to me years ago and I'm still bitter about it.
True, but that shit combined with Activision's microtransaction-based matchmaking is pretty goddamn egregious.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #3867 on: October 24, 2017, 03:02:22 PM

Why is every Silicon Valley company run by literal Bond villains and like a real version of S.P.E.C.T.R.E? What part of the typical Ivy League education turns large swaths of college graduates into clinical sociopaths?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3868 on: October 24, 2017, 03:25:00 PM

Why is every Silicon Valley company run by literal Bond villains and like a real version of S.P.E.C.T.R.E? What part of the typical Ivy League education turns large swaths of college graduates into clinical sociopaths?

It's a symptom of late stage capitalism, a lack of diversity in their upbringings and the constant drumbeat that "greed is good" from fratbro fucks who think that Gordon Gekko was a role model instead of a fucking warning.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3869 on: October 24, 2017, 03:30:06 PM

Too many dudebros reading Atlas Shrugged.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3870 on: October 24, 2017, 05:32:23 PM

CorpNews was a way for Poppinfresh to scam E3 passes as a gaming journalist.

The astounding thing is that it actually worked for a few years.
weak

I got passes to everything, including federal technology expos.

also the free stuff never ends, I still get sent shit
schild
Administrator

Reply #3871 on: October 24, 2017, 05:33:11 PM

It WAS back when E3 was something worth attending.

there was really never a time, unless you were an alcoholic.

I had more fun at GDC SF because the CCP parties are really something.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3872 on: October 24, 2017, 05:36:19 PM

Meanwhile, I never got the free E3 pass that was promised to me years ago and I'm still bitter about it.

hat trick

anyway, there's way better things to be bitter about with me, my track record in general is garbage
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3873 on: October 24, 2017, 07:35:14 PM

It's funny seeing industry people come out like, "oh thank god NeoGAF is dead, that place fucking sucked and no one liked it".

I mean, yeah NeoGAF was really fucking bad and should've died forever ago but it's still funny hearing that Devs hated it.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #3874 on: October 24, 2017, 08:09:17 PM

Of course devs hated it. Any professionals in any industry fucking hate anything that behaves like a brutish hive mind.

Communities are, for the most part, bad. They turn on you and that's the ball game.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #3875 on: October 26, 2017, 12:38:43 AM

Of course devs hated it. Any professionals in any industry fucking hate anything that behaves like a brutish hive mind.

Communities are, for the most part, bad. They turn on you and that's the ball game.

Turning on them is a bad way to put it. When you had MS devs/execs astroturfing GAF or high profile devs either lying about stuff (Dyack) or just being belligerent (Bezlinski) they got what was coming to them.

This forum as small and tight knit as it is still goes after certain developers because their BS wouldn't and shouldn't be tolerated.

Where NEOgaf screwed up is a failure in moderation scaling well enough to match its size and police the obnoxious gamer backlash over some of the more innocuous things that can and will go wrong in game development. Basically the forum became too big to manage and devs were being attacked by a large enough group for disclosing features that were removed, why certain bugs couldn't be fixed anytime soon or how they tricked players to have a better gaming experience.

It didn't matter if half the people were level headed about these discussions, the other half were relentless and simply couldn't be stopped due to how a messageboard works without some really strict posting rules in place.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #3876 on: October 26, 2017, 04:00:30 AM

The GAF OTs are usually good - except when a controversial developer made the game or a controversial reviewer person reviewed it.

The rest not so much. One aspect is that they never quite knew how to deal with the general negative aspects of internet forums. The shitposting, threads that veer completely off-topic, frequently asked questions and frequently re-opened topics, people only contributing sarcasm or irony or bad memes to threads etc.. The normal forum stuff that needs to be stomped out hard.

It's not fun to read an OT for a popular game when it's 30 pages of memes, shitposts, "jokes" and people talking about everything except the game and GAF moderators rarely ever policed that aspect of GAF.

Then there's the controversial people in the industry or the controversial topics or the controversial publishers and those threads regularly went completely off track. Reading the hundreth *person of interest is a stupid poopy face* with "insert sexism and x-phobia here" is exhausting. It also bleeds over in game threads since it always someone's fault that games are too SJW or too easy or too something.

Reading GAF was for me always depressing in that it's exactly like all of the other sites that deal with user generated content, a few Islands of good content mired in a sea of shit nobody is dealing with, like 9GAG or Reddit or all other places that are overrung with 4chan edgelords and bots posting hateful shit.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3877 on: October 26, 2017, 07:02:08 PM

I can't think of a single thing I've ever seen on GAF that was readable.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3878 on: October 31, 2017, 05:52:07 AM

In other news, apparently Papers Please: The short Film is a thing. Made by Russians because duh. Still official, though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mhuh6ojc0I

(I also found this musical-like thing in Pope's twitter feed...)

schild
Administrator

Reply #3879 on: October 31, 2017, 06:21:06 AM

Papers Please: The Short Film is just 15 minutes of fixed camera footage at the border of Georgia and Chechnya.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3880 on: November 03, 2017, 12:37:11 PM

Seriously bummed Runic Games was shut down by Perfect World today. I was really hoping for Torchlight 3. I would run into Runic employees at least once a week downtown.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3881 on: November 03, 2017, 02:15:04 PM

Maybe if runic tried to make a game instead of toolsets this wouldn't have happened

Not like blizzard didn't leave a room for competition
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3882 on: November 04, 2017, 05:01:47 PM

I was playing Torchlight 2 last week and wondering why it didn't turn out better.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3883 on: November 13, 2017, 05:04:20 AM

No idea where else to put this, so:
Are there any PvP games for PC out there that are basically an implementation of WoW Arenas? So, a fantasy-genre implementation of the World of Tanks/Warships/.... type fixed game length, progression based, lobby style? I think there's some implementations of that for Mobile, but none on PC that I know of.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3884 on: November 13, 2017, 05:12:56 AM

No idea where else to put this, so:
Are there any PvP games for PC out there that are basically an implementation of WoW Arenas? So, a fantasy-genre implementation of the World of Tanks/Warships/.... type fixed game length, progression based, lobby style? I think there's some implementations of that for Mobile, but none on PC that I know of.

Not really fantasy or very Warcraft-like but Total War Arena is as WoT as you can get with similar tech trees and you control Roman/barbarian/Greek troops (3 units/player) Total War style on a multiplayer map (10vs10).
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: