Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340946 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1120 on: July 04, 2013, 04:56:49 AM

The board only knows your current avatar.  All your posts will use it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1121 on: July 04, 2013, 11:25:14 AM

The board only knows your current avatar.  All your posts will use it.

Ok I'm still sure my avatar is older than 2007 though :)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: July 04, 2013, 11:39:32 AM

The board automatically updates them.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: July 27, 2013, 09:49:03 AM

Dominions 4 is being released at the end of next month and seems to promise pretty much the same as Dominions 3 did (which is a highly moddable turn-based strategy game taking lots of time and with some real hardcore fans)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: July 28, 2013, 01:42:14 PM

I found an interesting article regarding how Company of Heroes 2 takes all the Soviet/Russian military stereotypes and makes a game out of them. There's talk of it being offensive to Russians, which is of course understandable because the game is full of the kind of stupid "shallow history" that gets thrown around as insight.

But what really annoys me is that the German ubermensch stereotype always gets a free pass. The Nazis treated their own soldiers just as bad as the Soviets, but the CoH series never touches on it. I don't think a single game does, they all prefer the image created by the Rudels and Wittmanns (Hollywood style games without any attempt at historical accuracy notwithstanding).

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/25/4553536/is-company-of-heroes-2-anti-russian
schild
Administrator

Reply #1125 on: July 28, 2013, 03:22:55 PM

I'm confused. People care about being offensive to Russians?
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: July 28, 2013, 05:00:16 PM

“Russia now outside of Germany is our largest continental European market,” Newell was quoted as saying.

They buy things now...

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1127 on: July 28, 2013, 07:23:43 PM

lol, Phil Fish got his feelings hurt by a videogame commentator, had a gigantic blowup on twitter, then cancelled Fez 2 and 'quit the industry'.

http://www.gamefront.com/did-phil-fish-just-angrily-cancel-fez-2-via-twitter/

Ahahahah I hope it's true. Part of me instantly wants to think he's playing at being Video Game Andy Kaufman just from his avatar but that'd really be giving him a lot of credit.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1128 on: July 28, 2013, 07:44:26 PM

Yep, way to make "indie" developers not look like children Phil.

The fact these people run or are in any shape involved with an actual business is laughable.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1129 on: July 28, 2013, 07:49:14 PM

I enjoyed the bit I've played of Fez and I think it's a quality game well worth the money I paid.  It's a shame to not have Fez 2, if this is true.  
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1130 on: July 28, 2013, 07:52:17 PM

You know how you don't get abused on Twitter?

You cancel your fucking personal Twitter account like a normal person. Get a marketing shlub to run PR for your company's account and never look at it again while you rake in the cash.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #1131 on: July 28, 2013, 08:16:18 PM

Indie Game the movie was one of the most hyperbole-filled pieces of shit I've ever seen. So, like, his response doesn't shock me at all.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: July 29, 2013, 12:43:41 AM

IG:TM looks incredibly obnoxious and cloying, a sort of distillation of the worst kind of indie pretensions.

"Ok now stare out a window and look pensive while musing about how you want to touch people on a human level with your game about farting cats."

It's a shame that a lot of the most prominent people in the indie games scene are giant douches, but I guess they become prominent largely via self-promotion so it makes sense.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1133 on: July 29, 2013, 03:44:55 AM

I'm confused. People care about being offensive to Russians?

It turns out there's life outside America after all. Who'd have thunk it?

---------

Regarding Fish, I think he's bipolar or something.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1134 on: July 29, 2013, 04:30:10 AM

Indie Game the movie was one of the most hyperbole-filled pieces of shit I've ever seen. So, like, his response doesn't shock me at all.

Yeah, they pretty much all come across as monstrous douchebags. For those who haven't seen, the main clip that's been going around in that respect is this.

It's a shame that a lot of the most prominent people in the indie games scene are giant douches, but I guess they become prominent largely via self-promotion so it makes sense.

Well that, and if you spend five years focusing on making one video game in relative isolation your social skills probably atrophy a bit. Phil Fish is like the Dave Sim of video games. He did some brilliant work, but working on it likely drove him batshit insane.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:35:59 AM by Velorath »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1135 on: July 29, 2013, 07:21:44 AM

I read that the Russian government will shut down pirates via ISP cooperation now, so I think regular Russians might end up buying games for a change.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1136 on: July 29, 2013, 08:15:30 AM

You know how you don't get abused on Twitter?

You cancel your fucking personal Twitter account like a normal person. Get a marketing shlub to run PR for your company's account and never look at it again while you rake in the cash.

Or you could just not get butthurt when people criticize you on the Internet.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1137 on: July 29, 2013, 11:22:32 AM

But what really annoys me is that the German ubermensch stereotype always gets a free pass.

Yeah don't hold your breath waiting for a nuanced portrayal of Nazis in a video game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: July 29, 2013, 12:25:49 PM

Personally, I would draw a line when people threaten to rape and murder my wife.

But maybe I'm oversensitive.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1139 on: July 29, 2013, 12:37:52 PM

Yes. Some might argue that Phil deserves what he gets since he threatened his ex-partner with violence as shown in the movie, if I remember correctly. However gamers are really broken when it comes to this sort of stuff. Penny Arcade has more here:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/swimming-in-a-sea-of-shit-the-internets-war-against-creatives
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1140 on: July 29, 2013, 12:57:47 PM

Personally, I would draw a line when people threaten to rape and murder my wife.

But maybe I'm oversensitive.

See, I don't even take those seriously because the Internet is full of hyperbolic douchenozzles who think their voice matters. Though I can see how that shit might be some folks a bit pissed. But the Fez stuff? He can take his special snowflakes and fuck right off.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: July 29, 2013, 01:06:43 PM

See, I don't even take those seriously because the Internet is full of hyperbolic douchenozzles who think their voice matters. Though I can see how that shit might be some folks a bit pissed.

I can imagine being legitimately worried.  If you're being inundated with that sort of hate mail, it has to eat at you that one of them might be a nut job who actually might hurt your family, even if 99.9999...% of them are angry 13 year olds that didn't like your video game.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: July 29, 2013, 01:13:55 PM

Then you get the police involved if you are that worried. Taking your ball and going home like a child is not the way to fix that.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1143 on: July 29, 2013, 01:15:05 PM

See, I don't even take those seriously because the Internet is full of hyperbolic douchenozzles who think their voice matters. Though I can see how that shit might be some folks a bit pissed.
I can imagine being legitimately worried.  If you're being inundated with that sort of hate mail, it has to eat at you that one of them might be a nut job who actually might hurt your family, even if 99.9999...% of them are angry 13 year olds that didn't like your video game.
Yes. People have shown themselves very capable of tracking down targets' personal information and it's not a big leap from there to a physical escalation. Mike Krahulik sic'd the PA mob on Ocean Marketing a few years back and this is the same sort of thing, though less organized.

Edit: fixed names
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: July 29, 2013, 01:29:19 PM

The only thing worse than twitter drama is games journos feeding on twitter drama.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: July 29, 2013, 01:48:01 PM

Then you get the police involved if you are that worried. Taking your ball and going home like a child is not the way to fix that.

I don't know that the police are going to do anything in 99% of cases of "someone threatened to kill me over the internet."

In my near total ignorance on the topic, I suspect it's less personal safety fears and more "fuck this shit" frustration.  It's one thing to be able to shrug off someone saying "fuck you" occasionally, it's another to be flooded with dozens or hundreds of messages from people who are specifically trying to piss you off, saying shit they designed to deliberately get you mad or sad or whatever, because it's mildly funny to them.  You can say "well, grow a thicker skin" but there's the counter argument that you shouldn't have to.  Dude's making video games, not deciding who lives and who dies, why should he have to put up with this shit?  Or maybe he's just bad at dealing with people in general and, realizing that, has decided that rather than fuck up by dealing with these kinds of people badly, he's just not going to deal with them at all.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1146 on: July 29, 2013, 01:57:36 PM

Here's the thing that makes Fez-boy so ridiculous. I know almost nothing about him other than he made a game and from the 5-minute clip of him talking about how "Japanese games suck" at GDC. But just from that little slice, I see a guy who thinks that he can say what he wants, no matter how insulting, about someone else's creative product but gets "take my ball and going home" whenever someone criticizes him.

If you want to talk shit, be prepared to get shit back in return. If you are going to go out there and say things like "Japanese games all suck" you better gird your loins for people saying some awful shit to you. If you can't handle what you are subjecting others to, maybe you SHOULD shut the fuck up and stay out of the public eye even if that eye is the jaundiced, Cheeto-encrusted Eye of Sauron that is the Interwebz.

None of that is to say that the rapey threats against a motherfucker's wife and kids is something one should just "brush off." The shit Fez-boy got pissed over? Not even in the same ballpark.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: July 29, 2013, 02:27:59 PM

I don't know that the police are going to do anything in 99% of cases of "someone threatened to kill me over the internet.

It depends. They would take a threat seriously if you had a reasonable belief you could be harmed. If someone uncovered information about you, and threatened you and your family directly on the internet, I think the police would at least take a look. If some random dude threatens to kill you then probably not. But then, I wouldn't be all that worried if some random Internet douche threatened to kill me.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1148 on: July 29, 2013, 02:59:54 PM

I'm kinda ok about being a dick on the internet.  We're all dicks at times.  But physical, real life threats?  That's above and beyond being a dick and I really don't think it should be tolerated.  I'm kinda conflicted.  I like anonymity of the internet and the freedom to say what you feel but I don't really think real life threats should be afforded the same protections.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1149 on: July 29, 2013, 04:01:27 PM

The shit Fez-boy got pissed over? Not even in the same ballpark.

Sorry for causing a quasi-derail. I agree with this - it's not in the same ballpark. I'm not informed enough to judge Fish as a person, but he's coming off as "precious."

There are some things I can't shrug off as "eh, internet," though, and that's what I was responding to. Hate me, insult me, threaten me? I'll try to keep calm and canter on. But do the same to my family, who have nothing to do with my work aside from it paying for their food and shelter, and I will take it seriously.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1150 on: July 29, 2013, 04:04:01 PM

I'm pretty sure that given enough time to search you could find an incident of someone threatening Fish's family or pets or something.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1151 on: July 29, 2013, 04:18:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that given enough time to search you could find an incident of someone threatening Fish's family or pets or something.

And vice versa. The guy is a thin skinned arsehole - it's not like he's an angelic snowflake who is being persecuted by the world.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1152 on: July 29, 2013, 04:22:32 PM

Fez was fun for about forty five minutes, then it got real tiresome real fast.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1153 on: July 29, 2013, 07:14:11 PM

Hipster indie trash TBH.
That game winning awards gives indie genre a bad name.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1154 on: July 29, 2013, 07:35:07 PM

For the most part the IGF Awards consist of guys giving awards to their friends.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: