Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340886 times)
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: March 07, 2012, 01:46:25 PM

I'm reminded of T&C Surf and was hoping for a Thrilla Gorilla Surfer
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: March 07, 2012, 02:01:57 PM

Very cool, though if I'm completely honest, I'd rather they did Future.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
schild
Administrator

Reply #562 on: March 08, 2012, 12:27:32 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #563 on: March 08, 2012, 12:33:29 PM

If it ever comes out for the Vita.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: March 08, 2012, 12:33:59 PM

So Fez developer Phil Fish has capped off his GDC week that started with him humiliating and embarrassing a Japanese developer at what was meant to be a respectful panel to discuss an indie game film by crowing about the Indie Games Festival tossing him an award for the game he has yet to release:

https://twitter.com/#!/PHIL_FISH/status/177739081843875840
@CrowTGamer i just won the grand prize at IGF tonight. suck my dick. choke on it.

https://twitter.com/#!/PHIL_FISH/status/177740040393334787
@Grabcocque i think it was a shameful, corrupt joke until i won it, and made it legit. you're welcome.

https://twitter.com/#!/PHIL_FISH/status/177742654518476802
no but seriously, suck my dick.

https://twitter.com/#!/PHIL_FISH/status/177821531479605249
you guys thought i was an egotistical asshole before...

That's probably enough to get me to not buy Fez when it finally maybe comes out eventually sometime.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:36:28 PM by koro »
schild
Administrator

Reply #565 on: March 08, 2012, 12:36:51 PM

Fez was announced years ago, it's still not out, and any company that WANTED to copy it in an even better style could have done so by now.

There's nothing exceptional to see here.

(Edit: Like, seriously, I stopped caring about that thing in 2009. It's like Bob's Game to me now.)
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: March 09, 2012, 06:06:03 AM

CryEngine3 Trailer

It's just beautiful.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #567 on: March 09, 2012, 07:23:15 AM

Is this going to shorten or lengthen development times?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: March 09, 2012, 01:54:38 PM

There's nothing exceptional to see here.

Apparently there's something to see here; whether or not it's exceptional is up to debate, but it's something interesting at least.

Fez, a novel puzzle-platformer in which you shift between 2D perspectives, may not be coming to PC any time soon but the game is significant in a wider sense. Significant because it has been nominated for two prizes at this year’s Independent Games Festival awards when a few vocal critics have argued it really shouldn’t have been.

The controversy is summarised thus: In 2008, Fez won in the Excellence in Visual Arts category at the IGF. It certainly is a lovely looking game, I can personally testify to that. In 2012 it remains unreleased and subsequently re-enters the IGF for that year (and is eventually nominated for both the Technical Excellence award and the Seamus McNally Grand Prize).

I smile at the prospect of indie conspiracy theorists. Four of the people who have worked on Fez were jurors in the 2011 competition – Rich Vreeland, Paul Robertson, Renaud Bédard and Phil Fish himself. To some, they are members of a magic circle – the indie Illuminati. To Phil, they’re a group of friends. He laughs at the idea that there’s anyone somehow pulling the string of the indie scene.

Yes, I’m good friends with Brandon Boyer and he’s running the IGF but I don’t think he’s gonna let that…you know, he’s not going to be biased towards us. The guy, he takes this very seriously. It’s just, yeah, we’re a bunch of friends but it’s not like because we’re a bunch of friends we’re all secretly helping each other out to trump the even littler – littlest – guys. There’s so many people on TIGSource that feel like they’re being fucked over by the indie elite. There’s no such thing! The fact that indie games has become a scene just pisses me off. Because now there’s all this scene drama and jealousy and enemies…”

Fez then goes on to win the $30,000 grand prize (which will be a massive help to Fish who has Microsoft breathing down his neck and is six figures in debt due to his inability to finish Fez) in what will probably be the last year that someone will be able to submit their game a second time to the IGF's competition. Exceptional? Probably not. But interesting.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: March 10, 2012, 04:30:41 AM

Is this going to shorten or lengthen development times?

Has any technology shortened development times?

It seems like the answer should be yes and there are some things that have made things faster purely mechanically, for example better UV unwrapping tools, but the answer is really kind of no.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #570 on: March 11, 2012, 07:40:49 PM

I'm not digging it. The closer we get to reality, the further we fall into that uncanny valley.

Skin looked like rubber, rocks looked like legos.

Just don't dig it. This isn't a case of "pointy knees." I actually mean this as I say it.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: March 11, 2012, 09:52:55 PM

Yea I couldn't care less about them showing off how good they think their skin textures are, I want to see solid facial animations.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #572 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:00 PM

I want to have fun.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: March 14, 2012, 01:01:14 AM

The more they focus on their graphics, the less fun their games turn out to be.  Their first was still their best, IMO.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #574 on: March 14, 2012, 01:44:26 AM

The more they focus on their graphics, the less fun their games turn out to be.  Their first was still their best, IMO.
Oddly enough, this seems to correlate with a lot of AAA games these days.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: March 14, 2012, 01:53:56 AM

Yeah, probably.  I just thought it was particularly egregious in this case.  Reason being, in the original Far Cry, despite the fact that the game got rave for the graphics, it's actual shooting mechanics were brilliant.  I fired off my fair share of military weapons back when I was in the Army, and they hit it pretty close to the mark.  Subsequent games from Crytek improved the graphics for sure...but the actual shooting mechanics became worse and worse.  Preparing for their console releases, no doubt  Ohhhhh, I see.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #576 on: March 14, 2012, 03:27:17 AM

Yeah, probably.  I just thought it was particularly egregious in this case.  Reason being, in the original Far Cry, despite the fact that the game got rave for the graphics, it's actual shooting mechanics were brilliant.  I fired off my fair share of military weapons back when I was in the Army, and they hit it pretty close to the mark.  Subsequent games from Crytek improved the graphics for sure...but the actual shooting mechanics became worse and worse.  Preparing for their console releases, no doubt  Ohhhhh, I see.

I think they were pretty much forced to put more focus on consoles after Crysis tanked at launch (which was their own fault for making a game nobody could play at max settings).
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: March 14, 2012, 04:46:20 AM

They could've just realized that graphics do not make games, and they haven't done so for a long while. We got over a certain level, and anything beyond that, while nice, isn't vital.

Or, I guess that's not really relevant for the younger generation, who for some reason seems to go all ga-ga over graphics still. vOv

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: March 14, 2012, 06:11:27 AM

They could've just realized that graphics do not make games, and they haven't done so for a long while. We got over a certain level, and anything beyond that, while nice, isn't vital.

Or, I guess that's not really relevant for the younger generation, who for some reason seems to go all ga-ga over graphics still. vOv

While I generally agree, I think it depends a little on the genre.  FPSs, in my opinion, haven't benefitted from better graphics since possible COD 3.  Or maybe even back to HL2/Far Cry.  Which isn't to say they couldn't still improve, I just think it doesn't matter much anymore at this point.

MMOs still have quite a bit of graphical envelope to push, and I would like to see better graphics from them in general.  They are not even close to realism yet.

Racing games may have nearly maxed out.  It is hard to imagine how there could be any significant graphical leaps from the current crop.

Your big open world sandboxy games, ala GTA, still have a ways to go and could used some major improvements.  Maybe they suffer from some of the same issues that MMOs do, because of the sheer size.

Then you get Skyrim, which proves that RPGs had a ton of potential improvement.  Even Skyrim can be much better.  It looks a treat on highest possible settings, but it suffers plenty of issues.  It has a bunch of performance improvements that can be made, and it is generally way ahead of other RPGs.

And so on.  Sometimes graphics still matter, and can noticeably improve a game.  But your game better be fun to start with, or your fucked.  Pretty alone will no longer cut it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #579 on: March 14, 2012, 07:17:57 AM

FPSs, in my opinion, haven't benefitted from better graphics since possible COD 3.  Or maybe even back to HL2/Far Cry.  Which isn't to say they couldn't still improve, I just think it doesn't matter much anymore at this point.
I would counter that something like FEAR would've totally sucked if not for the graphical portion. Flashlights and environmental effects add a lot to the game, for me. I care more about immersion, though. I'd rather have a really immersive experience with mediocre mechanics (Amnesia) than something that had perfect mechanics but was just a bland setting (Rift, I guess, I don't play shooters anymore).
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: March 14, 2012, 07:49:32 AM

FEAR wasn't really very awesome graphically when it came out, it was actually rather middle-range, and I've absolutely no problems with playing that game today, and not even think about the graphics.

Then again, the main reason I'm not really into playing Doom or even Wolfenstein 3D, today, is because improvements in the FPS controls have made me cranky when trying to play wolf3d and doom, but them's the breaks.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #581 on: March 14, 2012, 03:41:00 PM

Atmosphere doesn't have much at all to do with graphical quality.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: March 14, 2012, 11:55:00 PM

FPSs, in my opinion, haven't benefitted from better graphics since possible COD 3.  Or maybe even back to HL2/Far Cry.  Which isn't to say they couldn't still improve, I just think it doesn't matter much anymore at this point.
I would counter that something like FEAR would've totally sucked if not for the graphical portion. Flashlights and environmental effects add a lot to the game, for me. I care more about immersion, though. I'd rather have a really immersive experience with mediocre mechanics (Amnesia) than something that had perfect mechanics but was just a bland setting (Rift, I guess, I don't play shooters anymore).

I think we are actually saying basically the same thing.  You are probably just lumping FEAR into my FPS example, but I was thinking about the typical dime-a-dozen multiplayer shooter when I was making the point.  In summary, in some cases it makes a huuuuge difference.  In other cases, almost none at all.  News at 11.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #583 on: March 15, 2012, 12:12:03 AM

Yep.

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #584 on: March 15, 2012, 06:48:52 AM

Depends on how you define quality. There's technical prowess and there's creative leveraging of an engine. Something like FEAR or Amnesia is the latter and what I was talking aboot.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: March 15, 2012, 09:44:15 AM

Regarding the recent Obsidian layoffs and game cancellation I give you what is pretty much the saddest thing:

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #586 on: March 15, 2012, 11:18:48 AM

How can anyone be so crazy as to tie their payment of royalties to a goddamn Metacritic score? That just seems the height of stupid business plans.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #587 on: March 15, 2012, 11:43:10 AM

Regarding the recent Obsidian layoffs and game cancellation I give you what is pretty much the saddest thing:

From the spoiler: "I would of thought..."  *Sigh*  I guess it is easy to turn off your brain wihen using Twitter.

I have never played WoW.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: March 15, 2012, 11:43:32 AM

Well when you're desperate, you'll agree to pretty much anything, I guess.

And in other news, Giant Bomb's been sold to CBS and will be folded into Gamespot and will even be moving back into the same offices with them.

Welp!
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: March 15, 2012, 11:59:37 AM

How can anyone be so crazy as to tie their payment of royalties to a goddamn Metacritic score? That just seems the height of stupid business plans.

Even more retarded is how can they do that then not finagle another point through any means possible.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #590 on: March 15, 2012, 12:22:24 PM

Hell, just tying any sort of revenue to METACRITIC or any critical score is just "Smash my balls with a hammer" stupid. Tie it to revenue, sales numbers, magic unicorn storms over the Baltic Sea, ANYTHING else.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: March 15, 2012, 12:27:06 PM

re: Giant Bomb

I am actually optimistic when it comes to the Gamespot/CBS thing.

Given what John Davidson has started to do to turn around Gamespot and CBSi intent to have good Tech related reporting.. I'm not going to worry. And so far, the word is that it won't be folded into each other, per some of the higher ups at Whiskey Media.

They've (CBSi) pretty much left CNET alone (for whoever you might feel about them), but several people did leave CNET after that whole thing, so who knows.

The current president of CBSi is very tech related and seems to be interested in leaving web based content around tech stuff alone.

beer geek.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: March 15, 2012, 12:43:36 PM

Considering that Gersmann being let go from Gamespot was pretty much what killed my interest in those kinds of sites, and that Giant Bomb is the only one I currently read, I'm highly skeptical of this ending well from my point of view.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: March 15, 2012, 12:53:02 PM

John Davidson was not the VP of Gamespot then. He was still over at 1Up/GFW/whatever before THAT went all to shit. BTW, almost the entire GB team was at Gamespot when that Gerstmann stuff went down. I really can't imagine them signing on with something at this point that they were not comfortable with.

beer geek.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: March 15, 2012, 01:03:10 PM

I'm amused/saddened that they not only tied their bonuses to metacritic, but also didn't seem to have any legitimate sliding scale. Just "meet this very high target or gtfo"

As I understand it though, publishers absolutely adore metacritic ratings. Possibly because it lets them be lazy and not actually read reviews or look at the product.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: