Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:14:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992930 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #175 on: August 12, 2011, 09:44:39 AM

It leads to this:

I would not recommend using this practice to set your passwords. Look up dictionary attack if you are curious why.

The "four random words" proposal from xkcd is not vulnerable to dictionary attacks in the same way "one random word" or even "one random word transformed with some numbers and punctuation" is due to the size of the search space.  Combining a larger pass phrase and a larger alphabet (not just all lowercase characters) further increases the search space and thus the time to attack.

A good illustration of this: https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #176 on: August 12, 2011, 01:05:22 PM

Our AD network forces an exactly 8 character long password.  Guess how hard that is to brute force?

I am learning that AD is a pain in the ass, or maybe just Vintella, but probably AD.

Last time I was working on a degree, the online scene was a wasteland of expensive paths which could use any of my prior education history.  I might look to see what I can find now, preferably cheap and easy that I can also import much of my previous 6-7 years of college into.  In the meantime, I think I am going to lie to Dice and say I have a 4-year degree.

The reason I came to this thread, though, was that I wanted to know the best way to learn PM skills, outside OJT, without enrolling into some PMP cult.  I'm rewriting my resume for IT Architect positions and PM skills would be helpful.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: August 12, 2011, 01:11:28 PM

Have you ever had to shepherd some process or plan through planning-startup-steady state-close?  Say, planning a data centre move or upgrade?  That's project management. 

It's really ridiculously easy to see how much stuff actually fits under project management when you realize being a PM is simply head cat herder or something.  Planned a major travel vacation for a family of 5?  Completed your goals without getting DCFS or a marriage counselor involved?  That's some project management.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #178 on: August 12, 2011, 01:14:56 PM

Our AD network forces an exactly 8 character long password.  Guess how hard that is to brute force?

Given that by default AD puts you in a 10 minute lockout after 5 incorrect entries it really isn't a big deal. Unless you've got that turned off *and* have some front facing place that uses an AD login, I wouldn't worry about it.

EDIT: I would add though I don't know why your Windows people would change it from the default on max password length.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:16:30 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #179 on: August 12, 2011, 01:25:31 PM

Have you ever had to shepherd some process or plan through planning-startup-steady state-close?  Say, planning a data centre move or upgrade?  That's project management. 

It's really ridiculously easy to see how much stuff actually fits under project management when you realize being a PM is simply head cat herder or something.  Planned a major travel vacation for a family of 5?  Completed your goals without getting DCFS or a marriage counselor involved?  That's some project management.

Oh, believe me, I know that and I do a lot of it.  Primarily because the HP PMs are all doofuses, while I am not nearly as much of a doofus.  Interestingly, the weekend that caused me to finally decide to get out of here was a datacenter migration of the single most important SAP system in the corporation.  The PM on that... sheesh.

The main reason I am asking is because there is a position which prefers "Familiarity with Project Management methodologies and tools" and I was suddenly suspicious.  Tools?  I can run a project, have done it before and will likely do it again unless I get fed up and leave this job to become a professional basketweaver, but I use MS Excel;  not MS Project if I can avoid it.  I now suspect that there is some set of codified principles, much the way Kepner-Tregoe codifies common fucking sense for problem solving, and ITIL codifies all the boring shit it codifies.  I can give a nod and dismissive hand-wave regarding KT and ITIL, but I want to make sure I know what I'm being dismissive of before I try it with PM.

Basically I want to know where the Cliff Notes are for the PMP cert.  I don't need the PMP cert, I just need to know how to talk about PM stuff.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #180 on: August 12, 2011, 01:26:14 PM

EDIT: I would add though I don't know why your Windows people would change it from the default on max password length.

Somehow, UNIX compatibility springs to mind. why so serious?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: August 12, 2011, 01:34:00 PM

Ah, it must suck having to worry about that.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: August 12, 2011, 02:20:54 PM

Basically I want to know where the Cliff Notes are for the PMP cert.  I don't need the PMP cert, I just need to know how to talk about PM stuff.
Just cruise the Adobe Live Cycle and IBM's site skimming for buzzwords until your mind melts.  It's all about mastering the art of managing production w/o knowing how to produce anything.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: August 12, 2011, 02:39:31 PM

If you can find a study guide for PMBOK*, or something that explains it, I'd just read that over and get the basics terminology down.

Now I'm curious who the PM was, because I worked with a few based out of Marietta and some of them were.. yeah..  swamp poop

The PM tool that we use around here, besides MS Project Server, is.. common sense?  I'm not sure what else someone would be talking about, although there is other PM software out there besides PS, but I've not been exposed to any of it.  

Not sure how you feel about Linkedin, but there are some PM related groups there which can have decent information as well.

*Project Management Book of Knowledge

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #184 on: August 12, 2011, 02:54:42 PM

Heh, if you want me to talk about people, PM or email me. Ohhhhh, I see.

Also thanks for the advice.  I'll see if I can find stuff on PMBOK.  I know I can do the work, but it's about convincing others that I can do it.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #185 on: August 12, 2011, 04:47:52 PM

Well - if you live on the East Coast between VA and NY, currently unemployed and looking for some temp work, and unafraid of 6x12 hr shifts on the other side of a union picket line, I've got an opportunity for you.

lol

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: August 12, 2011, 09:48:22 PM

Heh, if you want me to talk about people, PM or email me. Ohhhhh, I see.

Also thanks for the advice.  I'll see if I can find stuff on PMBOK.  I know I can do the work, but it's about convincing others that I can do it.

Send me a PM, I can send you copies of the powerpoint shit from my PM class. It covers all the PMBOK buzzword stuff.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #187 on: August 13, 2011, 11:26:04 PM

So, anyone have experience working for Amazon?

me
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #188 on: August 20, 2011, 10:08:42 AM

Verizon strike is over.  Our employees return on Tuesday.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #189 on: August 20, 2011, 10:11:05 AM

Got a friend of mine in Atlanta who is looking for a tax associate. If you are a CPA type who wants a job doing taxes, that's open.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #190 on: August 20, 2011, 06:15:48 PM

Results? Employees forced to capitulate on everything? Actual compromise?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: August 20, 2011, 06:18:21 PM

Union took a 15% pay cut but each member gets to mount the T-Mobile girl.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: August 20, 2011, 07:17:28 PM

Nothing but management speak on the official internal channels, so it'll probably show up in the news before employees actually are informed of anything.   Short form is that some progress and compromises were made that that the Union felt comfortable enough in working without a contract (technically under the terms of last years contract), until they can come to an agreement on the new one.
Strazos

Reply #193 on: August 21, 2011, 06:45:51 AM

Union took a 15% pay cut but each member gets to mount the T-Mobile girl.

Worth It!  why so serious?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #194 on: August 21, 2011, 06:49:52 AM

Verizon strike is over.  Our employees return on Tuesday.

Union asked to come back to work.  There were 2 options - let them come back under a return to work agreement or perform a lockout.

Company really could have gone either way.  It was decided to let them come back under Verizon terms.  In a nutshell - They are not allowed to call another strike for 30 days and must submit 7 day notice before going back on strike, old contract is in effect for the time being, and no amnesty (this is a big one) for actions taken during the strike.  

http://www.cwa2202.org/pdf%20files/Agreement[1].pdf  ->may have to copy/paste this into your web browser

Bargaining is exactly where it was at 2 weeks ago (before strike started).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:57:59 AM by Cheddar »

Strazos

Reply #195 on: August 21, 2011, 07:15:38 AM

That agreement doesn't look horrendous. However, what sort of "misconduct" are we talking about?

Fear the Backstab!
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: August 21, 2011, 07:59:59 AM

My understanding is that VZ tried to cut pay and benefits so they went on strike.  Now pay and benefits are unchanged while they negotiatie, so it seems to me like VZ blinked.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: August 21, 2011, 12:16:09 PM

That agreement doesn't look horrendous. However, what sort of "misconduct" are we talking about?

Cheddar's got better info going than I do, but if I had to guess, it's probably a reference to various incidents of sabotage or the like during the strike.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #198 on: August 22, 2011, 04:57:38 AM

My understanding is that VZ tried to cut pay and benefits so they went on strike.  Now pay and benefits are unchanged while they negotiatie, so it seems to me like VZ blinked.

Negative.  The union came to the table asking if they could come back to work - we agreed as long as they signed the return to work agreement stated above.  You have to have a contract otherwise it opens up bad stuff when things are finally settled.

The no amnesty means those who commited sabotage will not be allowed to slide (cutting cables, burning CO's, physically assaulting contingent workers/management).  Historically the company has been forced to provide amnesty as part of the settlement.  The actions from a small sector of the union were extremely egregious. 

Strazos

Reply #199 on: August 22, 2011, 07:20:20 AM

The no amnesty means those who commited sabotage will not be allowed to slide (cutting cables, burning CO's, physically assaulting contingent workers/management).  Historically the company has been forced to provide amnesty as part of the settlement.  The actions from a small sector of the union were extremely egregious. 

As much as I'm normally a pro-Union guy, I'm actually 100% OK with the above, especially the assault bits.

Fear the Backstab!
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #200 on: August 22, 2011, 07:26:52 AM

As much as I'm normally a pro-Union guy, I'm actually 100% OK with the above, especially the assault bits.

Ironically, managing in a Union Environment has made me nuetral with regards to my feelings for the Union.  There are tons of pro's and con's.  Before, when I was on the other side, I had negative feelings towards them.

One of the older ladies I worked with a couple years back was spit on and knocked down/stepped on during the recent events.  Police had to intervene - I am 100% pleased there is a no amnesty clause.

Some of the events are even falling under an official FBI case.  This go round was incredibly bad. 

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #201 on: August 22, 2011, 08:50:05 AM

Unions are always seen as one of those carpetbagger things round these parts.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #202 on: August 22, 2011, 02:48:53 PM

Along with books, science, and de-segregation.

why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #203 on: August 22, 2011, 08:45:35 PM

HEY! The Bibles a book, and I'm pretty sure guns run on science.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: August 25, 2011, 03:53:36 PM

I AM OFFICIALLY SKY JR. NOW!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: August 25, 2011, 03:55:40 PM

Congrats, try not to get any hairspray on the library terminals.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: August 25, 2011, 06:19:49 PM

YAY!  Congrats, Chimpy!

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: August 25, 2011, 07:15:55 PM

Whats up with this HR recruiter calling me, setting up a time to chat, I confirm, never get confirmation back, and then she doesn't call? 2nd time now.

- Viin
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: August 25, 2011, 07:22:20 PM

I had the opposite problem recently when interviewing people for a position - half of the candidates who confirmed for interviews never showed.  Head scratch

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #209 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:16 PM

Woohoo! I hope you get as much satisfaction out of the job as I do. Nice to spend all day helping people in the community, even if they don't appreciate it 90% of the time.

And I haven't worn hairspray outside of that one summer in 1987...that unfortunately was the same summer senior pictures for the yearbook were taken  Rock Out
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: