Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992789 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3395 on: April 12, 2018, 10:29:02 AM

First rule of private chat club is you do not talk about private chat club.

I'm in a couple of different private shitposting channels at work, and at my last job before Slack was a thing I ran my own XMPP server to get the same effect.  But the whole point of a secret chat clique is that nobody else knows it exists.  Letting your bosses know something existed that they weren't invited to was a blunder.
Be careful — those channels are no longer really private if your company has the Plus plan.

Yeah, nothing incriminating gets said there.  I'm aware that a Slack admin can get in there whenever they want.  But it's safe enough for cynical smack-talk.

The incriminating stuff is on a whole separate Slack instance.   Or here.  why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3396 on: April 12, 2018, 11:14:49 AM

There is literally no place safe for me to say/type anything that my employer can’t get into to monitor me.   0.0 DPS

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3397 on: April 12, 2018, 01:00:41 PM

You could probably have vented all your problems to some obaasan at an onsen while you were hiking.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #3398 on: April 13, 2018, 02:53:56 AM

Hmm, might have worked.  Though many of the lockers were near the baths at some of those places, so peoples phones might have still picked up the convo.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3399 on: April 13, 2018, 06:30:56 AM

I typically don't chuckle at names but today I ran across someone named Peter Dichard.  I'm trying to figure out some angle to become his friend.

Thanks to the millennial generation, I have become a well-respected person that is considered extremely competent.  Along those lines I have been asked to turn around a failing project, and so things are going to get very awkward very fast.  Typically I'd say "awkward for the other guy" but I've been looking at leadership principles, as well as the project timeline, and I've determined that I need to somehow take this project away from someone that I also need to keep working on the project.  By the end of this, I'm sure I'll have learned a few things.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #3400 on: April 13, 2018, 07:50:59 PM

Thanks to the millennial generation, I have become a well-respected person that is considered extremely competent.

and a willingness to live in georgia
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3401 on: April 15, 2018, 07:26:23 PM

Thanks to the millennial generation, I have become a well-respected person that is considered extremely competent.

and a willingness to live in georgia

I fall into the same gap. Hell they put me in charge of the entire companies finances.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3402 on: April 16, 2018, 09:21:07 AM

I'm skipping going to Georgia for the second year in a row. 2 months of being home with no income is better than spending the time in Fairburn.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3403 on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:56 PM

I'm skipping going to Georgia for the second year in a row. 2 months of being home with no income is better than spending the time in Fairburn.

Anything in Georgia that's below I-20 is usually terrible. Except Savannah.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3404 on: April 20, 2018, 09:18:21 AM

There is Georgia and there is Metro Atlanta.  I'm here because this is where my money is.  Wife's family business is ingrained here.  Personally, I'm not tied to anything or anyone except my wife and son. I'd love to go somewhere with lower pollen counts, lower spider counts, and lower human counts.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3405 on: April 20, 2018, 09:19:24 AM

Slightly related, I find myself replying positively to AWS recruiters.  Someone talk me out of that.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #3406 on: April 20, 2018, 09:32:48 AM

Join the Dark side.  Because good is dumb.

-Stephen Colbert
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3407 on: April 20, 2018, 09:39:46 AM

Anything in Georgia that's below I-20 is usually terrible. Except Savannah.

Ahem. Anything above I-20 is usually terrible. Except no exceptions.

Look, Georgia is a state full of godawful except for all the pockets of pretty cool -- just like most everywhere else. Personally, I'm in a pocket of pretty cool, and have even done a bit to make it that way.

Damn, don't know why I felt the need to stand up and represent. I don't even really disagree, I just don't like to paint with that big a brush.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3408 on: April 20, 2018, 10:11:31 AM

Well I was being funny for the most part. I like certain small towns all over Georgia. Macon's not bad, Dublin's pretty fun and has some cool areas, Greensboro is a great little town near a lake, Dahlonega has a great mountains area and cool wineries, Savannah is antebellum history in a city, St. Simons and the Gold Cost Islands are amazing.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3409 on: April 20, 2018, 12:13:01 PM

Well I was being funny for the most part. I like certain small towns all over Georgia. Macon's not bad, Dublin's pretty fun and has some cool areas, Greensboro is a great little town near a lake, Dahlonega has a great mountains area and cool wineries, Savannah is antebellum history in a city, St. Simons and the Gold Cost Islands are amazing.

Yeah, no idea why I knee-jerked into "defend the home turf" mode. But to your list I'd add college towns, especially Athens and Carrollton. And it's ancient history now, but the music scene through the mid eighties to the mid nineties was a blast.

I am prejudiced to smallish towns too though. Atlanta and metro are fun to visit, but not for long.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3410 on: April 20, 2018, 02:46:54 PM

Well, this is positive - my current employer okayed the conversion, so that's moving forward.  The benefits are going to be so damn sweet, especially that whole paid vacation and holidays thing.  That's going to do wonders for my mental health right there.  And I was told my current salary should be in the range, so even better.

Happy Friday, y'all!

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3411 on: April 20, 2018, 02:53:23 PM

gg
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3412 on: April 20, 2018, 05:25:33 PM

Way to go Rhysssa.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3413 on: April 21, 2018, 04:11:12 PM

Sounds good.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #3414 on: April 21, 2018, 09:16:55 PM

4 months into my new job and the company I work for probably won't last the summer. The company finished a huge investment last year that cost way more than it should have and repayment of loans is killing liquidity. At 4pm on friday I got a mail regarding depreciation of that investment and if liquidity doesn't do the job insolvency will finish things off. The only thing that can save things is a new investor but I don't think anyone is stupid enough to jump on board at this point.

At least I shouldn't have much problem finding myself a new job after summer.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:19:19 PM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3415 on: April 22, 2018, 08:30:46 AM

Sounds like also you're in the position of being able to keep collecting paychecks for a few months while shopping for your next job, which is IMO ideal.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3416 on: May 15, 2018, 07:30:50 AM

So it actually happened.  Had my new employee orientation yesterday and am now officially an employee at the place I've been a contractor for 7.5 years.  In addition to the fantastic benefits (3 weeks vacation to start, 10 holidays going to 11 next year, 3 personal days) the company has both a 401k and a pension. AND I can turn in a vesting form, showing how long I've worked here as a contractor, and have that count towards my pension vesting (meaning while there's nothing in there atm, I am officially fully vested in my pension, lol!).  Love it!

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3417 on: May 15, 2018, 08:04:37 AM

That's great Rhyssa. Congratulations!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3418 on: May 15, 2018, 08:40:31 AM

That's a pretty sweet deal.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3419 on: May 16, 2018, 05:35:57 PM

Thumbs up!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3420 on: May 17, 2018, 01:18:33 PM

Good for you, I'm glad the numbers worked out!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3421 on: June 08, 2018, 04:25:39 AM

We're hiring a data analyst. Ideally you'd have some experience in games but that's not a hard requirement if you speak fluent Excel and can talk about SQL and KPIs for hours. You would need to relocate to Bangkok but the company will help with your visa and relocation.
Specific experience that would be very useful:
- Mobile
- Monetisation
- Liveops
- Economy balancing

If you want to know more feel free to drop me a PM.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3422 on: June 11, 2018, 12:16:16 PM

We have enough tech people here that I think this might be useful to many: https://regexr.com/

WayAbvPar

Reply #3423 on: June 15, 2018, 04:04:37 PM

So- just finished school and am now back in the market for one of these job things. Looking to get into networking. Have CCENT and Net+ (and A+ and some MTAs), and will be testing for CCNA and Sec + by the end of the month. If anyone has advice or a line on something in the Seattle area (preferably south King County), shoot me a message!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3424 on: June 15, 2018, 05:00:29 PM

Congrats on finishing school. I'll drop stuff your way if I come across it. I look pretty regularly on the King co and Seattle city sites and there's usually a post or two there.

I need to find something junior front end stat. I got laid off last year and did a contract in the interim, but that dried up and I haven't had many hits. I feel like a damn bard, lots of general knowledge but I never specialized in any part of the stack so I fumble my interviews. I'm having self confidence issues now - which doesn't make the damn search easier.

I kinda wish I would have just stayed in IT instead of going the front end route, but now I'm in my 40s and it really doesn't seem like I should be taking a different path (again). 
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3425 on: June 15, 2018, 06:45:43 PM

Keep looking, we just hired a jr front end guy. The hard part is finding the gigs that are open - we are a everyone-is-remote company, so our job postings end up in random metro areas looking for talent that wants to work from home full time.

- Viin
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3426 on: June 15, 2018, 08:50:59 PM

Thanks, that's good to hear. If anything pops up in the future, hit me up please. I would love to apply. Remote work is a definite bonus for me.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3427 on: August 15, 2018, 10:56:29 AM

Reading resumes again, insomnia cured.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3428 on: August 28, 2018, 12:58:03 PM

My current manager, the only manager that has actively done shit for my career, just told me today that she accepted a job elsewhere in the company. So, I'll be finding out very soon which manager gets to not understand (and not care) what I do every day.  This also leaves me with no idea where I'm working next year (AGAIN).

Yay.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3429 on: August 28, 2018, 04:39:05 PM

My current manager, the only manager that has actively done shit for my career, just told me today that she accepted a job elsewhere in the company. So, I'll be finding out very soon which manager gets to not understand (and not care) what I do every day.  This also leaves me with no idea where I'm working next year (AGAIN).

Yay.

By this time next year? Probably Lenovo :p

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: