Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:42:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992923 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3080 on: January 13, 2017, 06:32:38 PM

The Ruby recruiters hit me this week. Both emails ended with "have you been keeping up with Elixir/Phoenix?", heh.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3081 on: January 16, 2017, 10:53:38 AM

Two new meteorological postings.  I don't think you lot are in the field, but letting you know.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3082 on: January 17, 2017, 04:47:32 PM

Working Chipotle currently. It kinda sucks.

Y'all are smart. What's a super easy to get job that either pays a decent bit more than $10 an hour, or is less physically demanding, or both?

Extra Info: I've got a BA in Sociology (that I'm kinda regretting at this point) and am generally not an idiot (3.6GPA), but have no easily marketable skills like programming. Experience wise, I have eight years in Restaurant Management, which I'm really trying to avoid getting back into, and a couple in childcare, which ditto.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3083 on: January 17, 2017, 04:56:05 PM

Can you use Photoshop? Do you know HTML/CSS?
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3084 on: January 17, 2017, 04:58:15 PM

No and no. The internet usually takes care of my Photoshop desires in advance (Read: Garbage Memes) and I've never had the desire to build a website.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3085 on: January 17, 2017, 05:22:36 PM

Easy to get, pays well and less physically demanding than Chipotle but requires no skills.

Have you tried whoring.

Other than that telemarketing, customer service, and sales jobs or administrative positions. However people don't seem to actually ever hire male admin assistants so find a local call center and start working up the ladder. The wife made $13-$15 an hour at starting pay when she did it for banks and cable companies. Collections is apparently decent money if you can be heartless.

If you get an associates in medical coding there's some choice positions there and it opens up more options. Wife is now an admissions coordinator at a local hospital because of that and her experience working for Humana before their near buy-out.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3086 on: January 17, 2017, 05:34:35 PM

(am i allowed to make coal mining jokes?)

(do you live somewhere with in'n'out burger? go the management route. not kidding)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3087 on: January 17, 2017, 11:01:43 PM

Y'all are smart. What's a super easy to get job that either pays a decent bit more than $10 an hour, or is less physically demanding, or both?

Extra Info: I've got a BA in Sociology (that I'm kinda regretting at this point) and am generally not an idiot (3.6GPA), but have no easily marketable skills like programming. Experience wise, I have eight years in Restaurant Management, which I'm really trying to avoid getting back into, and a couple in childcare, which ditto.

You could work for a bank; even starting fairly low in the chain, you'll probably make more than $10/hour do back-office support of some sort.

Or you could apply to the Foreign Service - it worked for me. why so serious?

stealthedit: The key is to sell the skills you acquired while getting your degree, not necessarily the degree itself.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #3088 on: January 18, 2017, 08:10:54 AM

I have an Art Studio degree. I cant imagine there's worse out there in terms of getting jobs.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3089 on: January 18, 2017, 08:48:57 AM

I have an Art Studio degree. I cant imagine there's worse out there in terms of getting jobs.

Communications Major.  awesome, for real (not me obviously, as I have an art degree as well).

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3090 on: January 18, 2017, 10:14:04 AM

Pretty easy to spin a communcations major into a marketing job. Art, on the other hand, is only useful for graphic designers (eg: the gophers of marketing)

- Viin
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3091 on: January 18, 2017, 07:08:49 PM

Where do you live?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3092 on: January 18, 2017, 07:12:33 PM

I might look at getting a CS or shift Mgr role at Amazon.  There's a long term program called pathways that promotes people up from those roles into corporate.  Start with Benefits etc. Hawkbit might have good advice.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3093 on: January 19, 2017, 11:29:44 AM

DevOps keynote speaker.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3094 on: January 20, 2017, 05:18:27 PM

I heard Verizon Wireless CS pay starts at 38k per year with full benefits.  Entry level, but you ain't out in the sun.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3095 on: January 21, 2017, 11:12:50 AM

I would definitely look into going the management route within a restaurant. Maybe look for a small single-owner white tablecloth restaurant, something that's more human and relatable, that needs a business manager, or something of that kind?

Another thought might be to look for a non-profit community group of some kind. That's often a good way to take management experience of some kind and tie it to some more programmatic or applied agenda.

Advertising/marketing is another thought.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3096 on: January 21, 2017, 11:39:20 AM

As someone in the advertising/marketing field professionally, don't. The industry has been shitting itself constantly since the 2008 crash, marketing budgets are just fucking evaporating almost as quickly as IT and customer service budgets, and most of the advertising shops still in existence are smaller than they were a decade ago and will never be that large again. Unless you are versed in the digital/social media aspects of A/M, there is no growth in the industry.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3097 on: January 21, 2017, 11:52:02 AM

As someone in the advertising/marketing field professionally, don't.

I agree. As someone in adtech, don't go this route. It's not worth it to your mental well being.

Do you like Saturday morning 3am PST Slack messages because some shitty $20k campaign isn't tracking clicks? It's bonkers. We're watching our direct sold campaigns dwindle as everything switches to programmatic.

The only people who give a shit about advertising are people in advertising. 2017 is my year to get out - I told my wife if I don't have something new by July I'm going to become a barista.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3098 on: January 21, 2017, 05:26:36 PM

I agree. As someone in adtech, don't go this route. It's not worth it to your mental well being.

I use to work a bit in adtech, but on the implementation side for a property - curious to know where you work! (if you care to share or PM)

I've always hated working for a company that supported itself with advertising sales, the good revenue can be very ephemeral and has little to do with anything the business itself does.

- Viin
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3099 on: January 21, 2017, 07:17:37 PM

I work on any site listed here, plus 20+ more that are smaller: http://www.meredith.com/national-media/digital

I started with Allrecipes in Content & Marketing but got scooped up by the ad teams when I finished school. Specifically I'm a product manager, though I work a lot more in code than an average product person. I also do a lot of design work in Celtra.

It's thankless work and I don't like being this close to the money. It's okay work, just not for me.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3100 on: January 21, 2017, 07:31:50 PM

A product person that codes? Man, they have you wearing way too many hats!

<-- Director of Product Management

- Viin
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3101 on: February 01, 2017, 10:10:33 AM

Dilemma time - so I spoke with a recruiter who found my info on LinkedIn (I'm set so recruiters can see I'm open to opportunities).  She has a project coordinator position that would fit me pretty well. I'd be doing more actual project support work than financial reconciliation stuff, which is fine with me, BUT the position is only 6 months with a possibility for extension and maybe conversion to permanent.  Higher hourly wage, recruiting company has a pretty darn good benefits package. Commute would be about the same, really, which kind of sucks but eh, it's Chicagoland.

And it's that damn length of contract that's a sticking point.  I'm the primary breadwinner and can't afford to be out of work at all.  I feel like yelling at the husband to get any kind of job at this point, beyond what he makes as a swimming/water polo official (~$12K/year) to help out, but I don't want to have that argument (because it'll turn very very petty on my part really quick).

So stuck. I don't absolutely hate my job or anything, but I'm so not happy here any longer either.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3102 on: February 01, 2017, 11:15:17 AM

Sounds pretty risky, particularly in our current political environment.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3103 on: February 01, 2017, 11:26:33 AM

So stuck. I don't absolutely hate my job or anything, but I'm so not happy here any longer either.

This sounds like 90% of the people in my office. We are mostly on maintenance mode right now... held in place by the security of our jobs and uncertainty about moving on in this climate.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3104 on: February 01, 2017, 11:44:41 AM

The length of the contract would put me off as well. With the coming Trumpocalypse ready to shit all over the economy, I'd take steady and "secure" over a guaranteed "no job in 6 months" gig.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #3105 on: February 02, 2017, 06:36:28 AM

I did contract work for about 3 years in the run-up to the dotcom boom.  Even in that relatively good period, I always had 1-3 months of downtime between jobs.  God help you if your contract ends mid-year.  There's lots of hiring at the beginning of the year (when folks have new projects), and lots at the end ("We gotta finish before the end of the year!").  But if you're done in May or June, you might be looking at a bit more of a 'vacation' than you want or need.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3106 on: February 06, 2017, 05:42:14 PM

The recruiters seemed to have been unleashed in the last few weeks.

Amazon is desperately looking for product managers to move to Seattle, and some of the products sound pretty cool! Too bad my wife would kill me if I forced her to move to Seattle.

- Viin
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #3107 on: February 06, 2017, 06:30:30 PM

Unless Amazon has made radical improvements to their work environment, they may be desperate because nobody sticks around if they can help it. I knew someone who paid back a $30K signing bonus because he quit 5 weeks before his first anniversary--he just couldn't take it anymore.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3108 on: February 06, 2017, 06:48:30 PM

I really can't recommend Seattle as a place to live for incoming people. It's simply too overpriced, $500k homes are pretty much the norm now. Anything more affordable will require substantial updates, which is what we're dealing with now. We're trying to add on to our house and it will be a minimum year wait for an open contractor and the best bids we're getting are in the $300k range. So fuck that, I can buy a vacation house on the coast for a little more than that.

The transit/infrastructure solutions are 10-30 years out, homeless people and needles everywhere. I love living near the water, but I have to really question if its worth it. I think we're starting to look at our exit plans, the kid is finished with High School in six years and depending what she does we may leave then.

Regarding Amazon, people I've met that worked there almost always fall into two categories: Lifers that came in through college and know how to deal with the bullshit, and the other larger group I've met have nothing nice to say about their time there. It does pay very well and the experience tends to look good on CV. I know someone that received a two-year signing bonus that equals what I make over an 16 month period. As tempting as that sounds, I'd rather keep my free time.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3109 on: February 06, 2017, 07:02:57 PM

There's a bunch of F13'ers in the Seattle area.  I bet we'd all agree to what Hawkbit said about the area.  Personally, I want to leave as soon as my wife finishes her degree.  Maybe 2 years.  It is really becoming unsustainable.  Small family starters are up near $1M in Seattle proper with the Eastside soon to follow.  Basically, it's becoming SF.  Plus the traffic is getting worse .  And thanks to Amazon the downtown will soon have another 20k people commuting.

As for Amazon, I'm still there and happy to answer any questions.  I don't recommend it if you have a young family or plan to start one while working there.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3110 on: February 06, 2017, 07:51:02 PM

I certainly don't have any plans, though you guys are right - working at Amazon would look good on the resume. I'll stick to visiting in the summer.

- Viin
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3111 on: February 06, 2017, 10:14:47 PM

Yeah, seriously, the housing market is getting absurd fast.  If we'd had waited even a year more to buy our house we'd probably still be renting, and it's already gone up in value since we bought it, and I live no where near downtown.  As much as I love it here, I would not even recommend considering moving here unless you make well into six figures, and even then expect to not save much.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3112 on: February 06, 2017, 11:05:43 PM

It's getting harder nationally to recruit people into public safety (police/fire). With a sociology degree you would be on a pretty fast track to a rank promotion if you have any interest at all in that sort of thing (which many don't these days, hence the recruit shortage).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #3113 on: February 08, 2017, 07:58:26 PM

F13ers are allowed to move to Austin. Anyone else can bugger right off.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3114 on: February 09, 2017, 07:22:14 AM

If I wasn't tethered then I'd consider it, but my experience with Austin is only in the city.  I'm not likely to live in the city.

By contrast, I don't see a scenario where I'd ever want to move to Chicago.

I think it's a bit ironic that the world's leading cloud provider wants new hires to move to Seattle.

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: