Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Awesome Beer Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Awesome Beer Thread  (Read 97293 times)
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: March 09, 2014, 06:10:41 PM

$10 for six pack of Shiner Bock? I just bought some for $8. I love me some bock beers, just doesn't seem like there are a lot of breweries putting them out. I have not seen any Genessee here.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #246 on: March 09, 2014, 06:55:45 PM

Warning: Genny is a cheapo brand around here, hipsters and old alcoholic uncles only. But the seasonal Bock is the exception, oddly. It's not as good as Shiner and definitely not as good as Celebrator, but for the price it's amazing. As far as expensive Shiner, we had no Shiner a couple months ago.

Dopplebocks and dunkels are my favorites. I dig a Warsteiner Dunkel, not sure I've had a good american dunkel. Sam Adams did a Dunkelweizen I've only found twice that was nirvana.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: March 09, 2014, 07:05:56 PM

I'm big into the traditional German styles too. Could be because the first beer I had other than the Bud Light's of the world was Hacker Pschorr Weisse. It was a "Holy shit beer can taste good!?" moment for me.

i don't mind old alcoholic uncle beer, I end up buying Hamm's all the time because it is cheap and after I have 3 or 4 of the good ones I can't taste it anymore anyway so why not switch up to something cheap. $15 for a 30 pack.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #248 on: March 09, 2014, 09:36:21 PM

My neighbor just shared a http://www.spencerbrewery.com/ with me; the first and only trappist ale made in the US.  He spent a bit of cash getting it shipped here, so it was a nice treat.

It was pretty good, very Belgian-like but a bit dryer than I expected. 
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #249 on: April 23, 2014, 03:15:32 AM

Fellow beer lovers, I seek your Wisdom!

In two days I will be traveling to Belgium.  My intention is to drink as much beer as possible over the course of 3 days.  Please, give me suggestions on awesome Belgian beers I should try while there, as well as bars to go to (or any beer themed activity really).  I mean like, harder to find Belgian beers I should take advantage of getting while I'm in country.  Not good ones I can easily buy at any decent beer store.  And before you respond, the local Foreign Service co-worker whose house I'm staying at has already purchased a case of Westvleteren 12 which he promises to have on ice and ready for us as soon as we walk in the door.   awesome, for real

Also for that matter, if anybody here as any suggestions on things to do or see on this trip, I'd appreciate it.  Going to spend about 3 days in Brussels (but planning on taking the train out to visit other cities during that time for day trips), 3 days in Amsterdam, and 3 days in Berlin.  Beer, Food, and attraction suggestions for any of these cities is welcome, as I've only ever been to Berlin before this.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #250 on: April 23, 2014, 06:34:48 AM

You're on the right track with Westvleteren.  St. Bernardus Abt 12 is also outstanding.  Drink a lot of it.

Here are a few other breweries to try:

Brasserie Cantillon - If you like lambics, these are the champions of the style.  If you're in Anderlecht you can visit them for a fun afternoon.  It's next to Brussels.
Dupont - If you like saisons, it doesn't get much better.  Their Vieille Provision is unmatched.
La Trappe - They're in Netherlands, but still making great belgian style beers.  
Val-Dieu - They produce a great quad named Val-Dieu Grand Cru, and a Tripel as well.  
Brasserie Lefebvre - They make some good beers.  The Floreffe Prima Melior is supposed to be amazing, but I have sadly never had it.
Brouwerij Van Steenberge - Wonderful brewery.  Gulden Draak, Piraat, and Augustijn are standouts.
Affligem - Anything Affligem is good.
Brasserie St. Feuillien - They're doing great work and they are a smaller, independent brewery producing abbeys.

The Zythos Bierfestival is also taking place from April 26 to 27 in Leuven: http://www.zbf.be/index.php?lang=UK&page=1, which is right outside Brussels.

If you like gin, don't forget to drink some Jenever.  It's tough to find outside Belgium and Netherlands.

Edit: added the Bierfestival mention.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:57:01 AM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #251 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:24 AM

I live 3 blocks from the Elysian, and its beer used to be shitty. Well, not shitty, but definitely not something to make a trip for. Nice to know that's changed.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #252 on: April 23, 2014, 12:35:18 PM

Fellow beer lovers, I seek your Wisdom!

In two days I will be traveling to Belgium.  My intention is to drink as much beer as possible over the course of 3 days.  Please, give me suggestions on awesome Belgian beers I should try while there, as well as bars to go to (or any beer themed activity really).  I mean like, harder to find Belgian beers I should take advantage of getting while I'm in country.  Not good ones I can easily buy at any decent beer store.  And before you respond, the local Foreign Service co-worker whose house I'm staying at has already purchased a case of Westvleteren 12 which he promises to have on ice and ready for us as soon as we walk in the door.   awesome, for real

Also for that matter, if anybody here as any suggestions on things to do or see on this trip, I'd appreciate it.  Going to spend about 3 days in Brussels (but planning on taking the train out to visit other cities during that time for day trips), 3 days in Amsterdam, and 3 days in Berlin.  Beer, Food, and attraction suggestions for any of these cities is welcome, as I've only ever been to Berlin before this.

Tell him to skip the ice, a quad should be like served at like 55-60. (Or ~15 degrees C for there I guess.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: April 23, 2014, 11:36:45 PM

I live 3 blocks from the Elysian, and its beer used to be shitty. Well, not shitty, but definitely not something to make a trip for. Nice to know that's changed.

Heart their Men's Room Red.

I am also  Heartbreak about Strongbow dropping their traditional dry.

Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: May 07, 2014, 10:01:09 AM

Another delicious beer made its way through my fridge:

A really rich flavor and very smooth. I'm definitely going to be drinking more of it in the future.

Also gave this one a whirl:

Also very tasty, but I don't think I like it quite as much as the Oatis. It's a totally different style, but I'm finding myself drawn to oatmeal stouts and milk stouts recently.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:06:51 AM by Ozzu »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #255 on: May 07, 2014, 11:50:48 AM

Rogue beers are really sweet to me.  They all taste sickly sugary.  I recently had one of their 7 hop IPAs which was the only beer I've liked from them.  Try that one if you can. 

Seattle beer week begins tomorrow. 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #256 on: May 07, 2014, 11:57:41 AM

That Oatis is good stuff.  I don't like most of the Rogue beers, but their Shakespeare Stout is good.  I have a hard time finding a stout I hate, really; I go for roasted barley like hopheads go for hops.

Discovered this recently at a local Nicaraguan restaurant; there's one beer store in SF that carries it, thinking it might be my new lager of choice at home:

And on a recent trip to New York I discovered this, which is amazing but I still haven't found a local source:

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: May 07, 2014, 02:22:51 PM

I'm probably going over the top on this, but I don't drink Rogue beers anymore. After I heard how shitty they were to their employees, I decided to not waste my money on it. Plenty of good beer to drink elsewhere.

Article on their shittiness:

http://weirdtv.blogspot.com/2013/07/rogue-brewery.html

Apparently they are even up front about how shitty they are in their job postings:

http://www.reddit.com/r/beer/comments/1geunk/rogue_is_hiring_for_a_new_it_manager_expected/
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #258 on: May 07, 2014, 02:31:10 PM

That job posting is insane.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #259 on: May 07, 2014, 06:24:30 PM

Hahahah lol, they think they're doing something special. How adorable.

They make beer. Retards with a garage or messy living room make beer. It isn't rocket science.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: May 07, 2014, 11:26:30 PM

Jeez...

They seem annoying enough to avoid at this point. Good to know.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: May 08, 2014, 04:59:47 AM

Their beer is overpriced anyway.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: May 08, 2014, 07:14:54 AM

TIL rogue and douchebag are synonyms.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #263 on: September 20, 2014, 07:32:24 PM

Just did my first ever brew pub craft brewfest. After nine, got hard to tell them apart. Still, was fun. Words having a friend, er wweird, driving my car home right now. Now we shall stop at the store for veggie pakora, cause it's the best drunk food ever. Wait, my first ever drunk post. Err, mean woot.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #264 on: September 22, 2014, 06:17:47 AM

Yikes. I think there was a point to what I was going to post earlier in the evening, something about the absurdity of trying to identify a mystery beer's content by taste, but I didn't end up getting around to posting until about 7 samples later. Please ignore me.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: September 24, 2014, 09:00:12 AM

A few weeks ago I got a taste of Karbach's Sympathy for the Lager and I found it to be extremely tasty, never thought I would think of Houston folks as lucky.  

I also recently tried an Austin local brew (Twisted X's Fuego) that I am at a loss how to describe, it was as close to a journey as drinking a beer can be I suppose.  The first sip had me thinking oh shit I bought a six pack of this when I doubt I can finish the bottle.  Before I knew it I was reaching for another and by the end of that second one I was singing its praises.  I wont say it is the best beer in the world but I've never had a beer alter my palette so quickly or profoundly.  If you have a chance to try it commit to an entire bottle and don't throw in the towel after the first sip.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: September 24, 2014, 03:11:45 PM

I've been struggling to find a decent cider since Strongbow changed their formula. 2 towns ciderhouse brightcider isn't too bad I'm looking forward to their seasonal English traditional.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #267 on: September 24, 2014, 06:08:17 PM

Strongbow went to super-sweet, Blackthorn Dry is now unavailable for Herns. Kinda sucks that so many ciders are too sweet alcopops now. Once I finish this bottle of Woodchuck Dry Hop, I may just give up cider for a bit.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: September 25, 2014, 07:19:10 AM

It's my favorite time of year for beer. Anyone have an Oktoberfest/Marzen that is a can't miss?

So far this year I've had:
Spaten
Sierra Nevada
Schell's
Hofbrau

As far as how good they were, I would put them in that order. My favorite is Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, but I believe that is available year round. I also had Anchor Brewing Big Leaf Maple and that was pretty good as well.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: September 25, 2014, 07:50:20 AM

The local beer guy who refills growlers didn't bring enough Marzen to the farmer's market. I'm going to have to run out to his place and get one.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #270 on: September 25, 2014, 09:48:35 AM

It's my favorite time of year for beer. Anyone have an Oktoberfest/Marzen that is a can't miss?

So far this year I've had:
Spaten
Sierra Nevada
Schell's
Hofbrau

As far as how good they were, I would put them in that order. My favorite is Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, but I believe that is available year round. I also had Anchor Brewing Big Leaf Maple and that was pretty good as well.
I love Oktoberfest/Marzen beers as well!  I prefer Paulaner's Oktoberfest over Spaten's, but I prefer Spaten's version of everything else over Paulaner's.

Really bummed I spent two years over here and didn't get a chance to make it to Oktoberfest.  Was going to do it this year, but I've just run out of time to sqeeze it in.  Also, the amount of money I'd have to pay even just for a few days to stay over there......  ACK!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: September 25, 2014, 01:19:11 PM

I've never actually had Paulaner's which I should probably rectify. I also have some Left Hand Oktoberfest waiting at home. Marzens don't seem to get great reviews which baffles me. It is my favorite style.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: December 18, 2015, 10:32:37 AM

I figured I would just bump this instead of continually shitting on the Job Thread with this stuff.

Here we go again: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0U11ZM20151218

beer geek.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: December 22, 2015, 04:38:21 PM

*Edit* Clicked the wrong thread :(
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:41:48 PM by KallDrexx »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Awesome Beer Thread  
Jump to: