Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:09:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: City of Wonder 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: City of Wonder  (Read 3163 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: September 12, 2010, 01:50:30 PM

Up and coming from Playdom.  It's a civilization type game.  Research technologies, build cultural things to make the population happy, has a small military component.   A person can focus on trade, culture or military, or combination of all three.

Nicely done, cute animations (but not too cute).

Timely in that buildings get dirty and need to be swept every day or so, production can rot.  

edited to add:  this is a Facebook game.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:52:48 PM

Just checked it out; meh. Too much of that "need X friends to unlock" bullshit.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:05:53 PM

Just checked it out; meh. Too much of that "need X friends to unlock" bullshit.

Yeah, that's pretty much a dealbreaker for me.  I do like these dumb Facebook games but they're a guilty pleasure, to the extent that I don't want any of my Facebook friends to even know I play them.  And I also refuse to spend money on them for the most part.  I'm pretty much the exact opposite of their target market.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:44:15 PM

I am playing this one because it is the only online game an old D&D buddy of mine will play. There is enough Civ in it to keep his interests.

I find the game to be lacking in meaning. It has all the right parts but is missing that "I need to get to FB and update my city!" factor.

Were it not for that friend I wouldn't have made it past day two on this one.

Grimwell
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:49:08 PM

I am playing this one because it is the only online game an old D&D buddy of mine will play. There is enough Civ in it to keep his interests.

I find the game to be lacking in meaning. It has all the right parts but is missing that "I need to get to FB and update my city!" factor.

Ah geez.  I was going to see about joining this because of said (common) friend, because he seems to really be into it, but if it's that shallow... ugh.  Are you sure we can't convert him to FV?

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 03:48:21 PM

It feels incomplete to me.  For example, what is trade good for?  The trade buildings give crap coins, and there is no compelling reason to build them.  Trading with another civilization gives crap coins, too.  The only encounters that seem at all worthwhile are military and cultural, depending upon if one desires population or xp.

I like the research tree, but it does not seem very well put together from a game standpoint.  The animations are cute, and it's an attractive game but not compelling.

Civ Network should be out on FB sometime in the next few months, apparently.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:13:25 PM

Ah geez.  I was going to see about joining this because of said (common) friend, because he seems to really be into it, but if it's that shallow... ugh.  Are you sure we can't convert him to FV?

There are no goblins in FarmVille. Though we do have gnomes....

CoW is incomplete. I even have ideas of how to fix that and it wouldn't take that much effort... but too bad for them eh?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Grimwell
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 05:51:27 AM

I gave this another shot and I'm still pretty meh about it. Hit another brick wall in that I can't expand my borders because I don't have enough friends playing; I could buy it with Gold but I've only got 23, and I imagine I'd need them for the next one...and the next...etc. Building wonders I have the same problem: you need friends to click them and I don't have any playing actively.

I realize that games like this have players do their advertising for them, but it feels pretty cockstabby. It worked in Farmville because everyone plays Farmville.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: City of Wonder  
Jump to: