Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:47:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Firefall - Red 5 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Firefall - Red 5  (Read 94828 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: July 15, 2013, 03:07:06 PM

Basically because PvP is seen as relatively "cheap" content I think. It's an extremely competitive area though and I'm not sure firefall is competitive there either.

... It makes me wonder if the eventual winner will come from the other direction. World of Modern Warfare Online?

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: July 15, 2013, 03:14:16 PM

Basically because PvP is seen as relatively "cheap" content I think. It's an extremely competitive area though and I'm not sure firefall is competitive there either.

... It makes me wonder if the eventual winner will come from the other direction. World of Modern Warfare Online?

I don't know why they'd bother when they can already sell a brand new game every for 60 bucks to a billion people.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: July 20, 2013, 08:54:59 AM

I'm enjoying this. The first few sessions I had very little idea what I was doing, but in a good way. I keep hearing just how much this changed over development, in ways more profound than I'm used to hearing from a beta crowd. I like the GW2-stylle open-grouping thing coupled with the mixed use of SWG-style resource discovery and POIs. Combat feels like a slightly tigher TR, maybe Neocron-ish? And I really like the Engineer battleframe. I never even bother switching BFs.

Not a game that'll keep me for very long, but fun while it lasts.

Questions on crafting:

- I see that I can build attachments for any battleframe, including my own. I think I need to Research upgrades to each attachment which then grants the recipe to craft that thing. But is there any reason I'd ever build anything for a BF I don't use other than the market? It looks like there's ways to use certain resources to allow one person to make a better version of the same attachment than another person. Is that right?

- Gas: where do I get it? Same Thumper/Extractor trick or is there a different system for extracting?
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: July 20, 2013, 05:24:46 PM

The only reason to switch battleframes is variety or earning pilot points to purchase Tier-2 frames. If you are not using a battleframe no reason to craft for it.

"Gas" is a category of the resources you can mine or get as rewards. So for an upgrade where says "gas" you click on it and decide which of the "gas" resources you will throw into the pot. Apparently an earlier version needed huge amounts of a specific resources and that was considered excessively punitive.

- Simond
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: July 20, 2013, 08:18:41 PM

Ah cool thanks. And I figured out the whole Gas thing. It looks like the cost to hit a pilot token is pretty negligible if I try each of the BFs to Tier 5 in at least one of the three lines. If I stay interested, I may take that approach. Or I may power through Engineer to top tier in one line and tier 5 or 7 in the other two. I really want that multi-turrent smiley
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: July 20, 2013, 10:49:20 PM

The multi-turret is part of the Tier-2 "Bastion" suit. So you need the 10 pilot tokens to buy that. As you say the easiest way to get those being taking the 5 starter frames up to the first or second set of stars.

I found that before I got the 10 pilot tokens I'd already gotten bored of the "content" and a tier-2 suit wasn't going to make it more interesting.

- Simond
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: July 21, 2013, 09:55:18 AM

Honestly the Bastion is really only a side grade....speaking from experience.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #217 on: July 21, 2013, 11:01:43 AM

Gotta agree. The Bastion's useful but not essential.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: July 21, 2013, 04:39:04 PM

Yep. but it's also the suit with the multiple turrets ability. So there's no way you can get that without the bastion.

It's an upgrade, as far as I understand it, in that it can use all the base class gear and abilities as well as it's own. Whereas the reverse is not true. So while it doesn't bring more power it has more capacity. I also read one comment suggesting you need those suits for tier 4 weapons, but I didn't get remotely close enough to determine if this was true.

The wiki already has T3 wargear marked in, I can only imagine the grind required to get that.

- Simond
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: July 26, 2013, 09:43:52 AM

I may power through Engineer to top tier in one line and tier 5 or 7 in the other two. I really want that multi-turrent smiley

The grind to increase base attributes (CPU/Mass/Power) escalates rather steeply past 7, and some of the biological components required for Class II/III/IV items are a total pain in the ass to acquire.

The game is fairly fun (hugely helped by having a small crew that I can roll with regularly), but it really needs more content.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: July 26, 2013, 07:18:57 PM

I made a 'We really need more content' post over 2 years ago on the beta forums. Yes, I've been in the beta for this for THAT long. The game has changed entirely 4 different times. I still have the same character along with an assortment of bugged alpha/beta items.

Still needs more content today. Still the main problem. It's still like if WoW released with stranglethorn as the only zone. Sure, it's a nice zone. But you need to have more than one.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: August 01, 2013, 03:56:28 PM

I'm not even sure why these guys are bothering anymore.  Defiance has 5 times more content, basically the same gameplay, and its barely surviving (from my perspective) as it is.  They need some guy to show up in the office with some donuts and tell them to give up and go home.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: August 01, 2013, 04:36:07 PM

Pretty much. Though the human capacity for optimism for the future and denial of the present reality is pretty impressive.

- Simond
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: August 03, 2013, 04:36:11 PM

I got an email a few days ago.

A Letter from the CEO:
Firefall fans, we owe you an apology. When Open Beta commenced on July 9th, our servers were overwhelmed. There were several issues that prevented people from logging in, completing the tutorial, or using calldowns and garages and printers. As I stated on the forums, this was our fault, and we take full responsibility. Stage 1 of Open Beta was meant to stress our system, and we gained many, many players during that time that did, indeed, stress our servers.
We have also taken many steps to improve the way the service handles load. While we still have more to do, we have greatly stabilized the service and restored functionality. Some specific fixes include:
Login Works
- We have resolved the vast majority of login errors, including 503 errors, and have raised server capacity in all regions to better handle the load.
Blackwater 5-man instance & Melding Pockets Online
- Nearly all issues with visiting these new zones have been resolved. Players can reliably reach these new areas now.

Printer & Garage are Greatly Improved
- The responsiveness of these terminals are greatly improved and enhanced. The vast majority of UI glitches have been fixed with these stations. Tutorial videos have been added to help explain how to use the garage and crafting system.

Calldown Menus are Back
- Players no longer lose their calldown menus and do not have to relog to get their 5th ability slot to work. Players can now reliably access their thumpers, daily mission crates, scanhammer, etc.
Dropships Resume Regular Flights
- Dropships are now working consistently and can be found ferrying passengers all over New Eden.

Tutorials are Unstuck
- Players who create new characters no longer get stuck on the secondary weapon or jet crafting missions. Most charactesr who were stuck should be able to resume play normally, or have customer support restore their character. Our support staff has cleared their tickets and are now back to running at nominal 24-48 hour response time. We expedite all stuck character issues, so often this issue will be resolved the same day.

Please accept our apologies for the rocky start, and while we are not past all of it yet, things have improved tremendously and we are working on resolving the remaining issues.
Meanwhile, please join us for a series of new content and features that are rolling out regularly. Its been an incredible experience and only made possible by you, the community. Thank you and see you in Firefall.

- Mark Kern
CEO & CCO, Red 5 Studios

"We're sorry our beta sucked ass, please don't hold it against us?"

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: August 03, 2013, 04:40:19 PM

Eh, they're just channeling what Betas used to be (and should still be) smiley
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: August 13, 2013, 12:55:47 PM

I've been playing quite regularly for a week now.  It still gets buggy at peak times, otherwise runs well.  I'm having fun for now and even tossed them $20 for a starter pack.  I don't see this lasting for me for more than a few months, but it was worth that much from me.

I can't help but be reminded of Global Agenda for the most part.  The crafting has me kind of hooked (my kind of thing.)  The soloability strikes a cord with me too.  I get scooped into groups reguarly which helps, but isn't necessary.  PvP is what I expected.  I don't have my frames developed enough to be competitive so my first go was as bad as I predicted.

I am an altaholic so I like the warframe concept.  I can develop different "classes" without having to swap out chars, inventories, etc.  The game even rewards trying different frames, so that fits me too.
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: August 19, 2013, 07:52:48 PM

I've been playing this a bit in my free time, when the spergs of PS2 burn me out. It's pretty enjoyable, and I like how temporary groups are and how easy it is to team up with other players. The crafting is a bit daunting though, that's my only real gripe. The rest of it is just a jetpack romp through a pretty island where I get to shoot bugs.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #227 on: August 19, 2013, 08:30:40 PM

As I've been unable to get into DayZ since my 'doze install shit the bed, I've been playing this a bit more. I don't like all the changes since alpha, but very little of that has been gameplay, so that's still fun.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: August 19, 2013, 10:38:12 PM

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: August 20, 2013, 12:36:42 AM

I can't remember the last time so little game received so much promotion...

- Simond
DayDream
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: August 20, 2013, 12:40:25 AM

that's domb as hell.

i'm a stick in the mud, though, so whatever floats boats, i guess.
JRave
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: August 20, 2013, 01:39:34 PM

I did not realize West Coast Customs was still a thing. 
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #232 on: August 20, 2013, 08:28:22 PM

That's awesome and all, but I wouldn't want to be inside it.

After about 20 minutes, it'll smell like cheetoes and week-old weaboo gamer BO.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #233 on: August 25, 2013, 02:03:34 PM

A new battle frame drops on Tuesday, along with an upped frequency of melding and chosen activity and the first signs of life outside of New Eden.

Increased Chosen and Melding Activity.

Warning, we are also detecting increased Chosen activity with key elite troop movements. Some isolated reports are now reporting new types of Chosen, never seen before. We believe they may be attempting to steal the new Arsenal Battleframe technology, so all ARES teams should be on the lookout for tougher and larger numbers of Chosen forces during the Omnicon event!

Melding Tornadoes Spiking New Energy Patterns!

The Accord has also noticed a change in energy readings being reported from the Melding Tornadoes. Aero and the Accord science teams believe that additional wormholes are opening up, leading to new locations. We expect the energy pattern to reach their peak on Tuesday. Coincidence, or part of a massive Chosen initiative to sabotage Omnicon? Stay vigilant!

SIN Improvements mean New Global Perspective Online!

With the effort of ARES teams who have been working diligently to restore SIN to New Eden, we have managed to significantly enhance the speed and reliability of all SIN related terminals including inventory, garages and printers. Also, the Accord has managed to reactive a few of the remaining SIN satellites in orbit, allowing us to see first hand the scope and extent of the Melding attack on our world. Work is preceding feverishly on a new global SIN map for pilots everyone. Read more details on our blog!

And beta stage 2 has officially kicked off too. Apparently, you actually will be able to affect the world in some ways.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:04:54 PM by Surlyboi »

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: August 29, 2013, 12:04:25 PM

Still playing this a bit.  Stability has improved.  The game got hit pretty hard with players trying out the patch and still was able to craft, change frames, etc. decently.  Compared to 2 weeks ago many nights were unplayable even outside of peak times.  Big improvement.

The new frame is meh.  The increased activity is nice.  I don't have to chase down objectives only to find out somebody else got to it first much now.  I haven't done much with expanding the world yet, so can't comment.

Decent sized improvement from my perspective.  Still not worth spending more than $20 on for me.  YMMV
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #235 on: August 29, 2013, 01:44:23 PM

I've gotten more shit done with the new frame in the last two days than I got done with almost all my other frames combined. It's versatile as fuck. I've also got a solid crew of three and we fuck shit up. They've upped the difficulty somewhat, so you can't solo everything anymore, but it's still been a lot of fun.

Until I can figure out why DayZ continues to not work for me, this'll be my go to game for when I'm hammered and bored.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: December 28, 2013, 03:51:42 AM

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: December 28, 2013, 04:49:27 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: December 28, 2013, 05:27:43 AM

Break out the popcorn GIFs, gents!  It's been quite a while since we've had some MMO drama 'round here  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: December 28, 2013, 05:59:40 AM

Read through the DRILLING AND MANLINESS Reddit post.  Between that and Mark Kern trying to save face on Twitter and Reddit has made my morning.  And probably will keep me entertained for the duration of my 12 hour shift here at work as the day unfolds.  May the DRILLING AND MANLINESS continue!

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: December 28, 2013, 07:14:58 AM

That fucking bus.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: December 28, 2013, 07:23:47 AM

I haven't had this much fun since Schilling. It's a christmas miracle!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: December 28, 2013, 08:02:55 AM

I normally ignore reddit links, but that post was gold. Thanks for the link in the Useless News thread, luckton.

Popcorn

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #243 on: December 28, 2013, 09:20:53 AM

Took them long enough.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #244 on: December 28, 2013, 09:46:51 AM

That horrible bus looks like it was made out of marzipan.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Firefall - Red 5  
Jump to: