Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:01:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The name's McQuaid, Brad McQuad... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The name's McQuaid, Brad McQuad...  (Read 38362 times)
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 09:12:40 AM

The factoring isn't shown. hardcore + no hardcore = life + no life
hardcore + no hardcore; factor hardcore out and you get hardcore(1+no)  Much like x + xy becomes x(1 + y), etc
Of course, the opposite of hardcore is casual or, at best "not hardcore."  Raping English to force funny isn't cool.

No(t) is a not an operand. It's a unary operator. Or in boolean logic, apple + no apple is not mathematically 0 apples, it's 1 apple + (a grape maybe)

Or,

apple = (not pear)
pear = (not apple)

not

apple = banana * pear
pear = banana * apple

We don't know what "not apple" is, but it's not the same as "not pear" unless we have a relation to show that apple = pear. Which in this case would be to start with the relation hardcore = life.

Edit: Added quote. Also: We should also define the total set, which can be anything in this case, but even if we make it binary (hardcore, life) we've just proven that a = not b, b = not a, or a = a, b = b (compare 1 = not 0, which is true.)
<3

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 09:45:03 AM

Daffy's return will not end well.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 10:06:26 AM

Daffy's return will not end well.
No it will not. Anybody who uses that again as a avatar is going to get banned.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 10:30:06 AM

I have no pants on right now.

Neither does McQuaid and the investor he's... ahem... servicing.

I thought this was the useless conversation thread, my bad. I was just doing my part to add to the randomness. why so serious?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 02:31:44 PM

If there was some unspoken rule for not posting that gif again, I apologize.  Though I am confused as to how it came about.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 09:01:39 PM

Sky had it as his avatar for a while and about every other post of his during that period referenced that image somehow.

Edit: or at least that's what it felt like
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:03:57 PM by Trippy »
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 01:31:53 PM

Everyone suddenly wants to make a shitty facebook game.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 01:40:36 PM

It's almost as if they cost practically nothing to make in comparison to other video games and have significant returns on that minimal investment.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 03:04:35 PM

Social games are a new market. Much like iphone games a couple years ago and MMOs a few years before that, the first few to the gate do disproportionately well with comparatively little investment (but significantly more risk), and everybody and their mother flocks to the easy money, only to get there just as it dries up. This cycle repeats as each new market opens and is exploited. You only get the easy money if you're in the first wave. Mature markets act differently, and at this point I believe the first wave of social gaming exuberance has passed us by-- if you want that incredible return on investment, you need to find another untapped market. Sadly, that's astonishingly hard to do. They don't come along that often.

I believe that casual social gaming is real, large, and even growing. It's not a passing fad. But it's no longer easy money. You can't just outsource to rentacoder.com and magically make bank, you need to compete on a much higher level, and even then the risk is significant as nobody really understands how to effectively monetize social gaming without outright deceiving your customers, violating their privacy, or even ripping them off via trojaned browser toolbars and the like. You think Brad will succeed where Raph failed? Seems unlikely.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:09:57 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 05:08:36 PM

I think the strength of social gaming is that it doesn't compete entirely with the other video games in terms of the time slot it takes up. People who used to raid in WoW don't come home, have dinner, then log onto Farmville for 8 hours (on the whole). Instead it has extended gaming into previously non-gaming times like commutes, lunch hours, break time and (when the boss isn't looking) quiet times at work. As such it can't go away because people start making better MMO games for the PC. It only competes with activities like playing Solitaire, staring out of the window and gossiping at the water cooler. That's a low bar.

Garriott's excellent interview on Massively's 100th podcast saw the great man asserting a belief that this space would be colonised by veteran game designers making better more immersive games than the pioneer games. Sure the space is saturated, also game profits are now complicated by the desire of Facebook for a bigger share of the pie, but as the audience becomes more sophisticated the profits will go to people who make good games and have trustworthy reputations. People won't fall for spam your friends tricks and dodgy toolbars for ever.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 10:09:00 PM

You just have to synergize the Facebook gaming paradigm. With networking buzz and social dynamics.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #46 on: June 26, 2010, 06:52:40 AM

Bringing the thread back to Brad...  He's on LinkedIn now, and actively making contacts.  I got an invitation from him earlier this week and accepted.  Checked the next day, and his connections list had doubled in size. 

Lastly, please remember that games are made by teams of people.  Focusing on Brad and totally ignoring everyone else with respect to how Vanguard turned out seems a bit much...
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 26, 2010, 07:39:30 AM

And the cycle begins anew

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 26, 2010, 09:00:41 AM

Bringing the thread back to Brad...  He's on LinkedIn now, and actively making contacts.  I got an invitation from him earlier this week and accepted.  Checked the next day, and his connections list had doubled in size. 

Lastly, please remember that games are made by teams of people.  Focusing on Brad and totally ignoring everyone else with respect to how Vanguard turned out seems a bit much...

Dude.  Come on.

AKA Gyoza
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 26, 2010, 11:50:14 AM

Fine, I'll do the newb advocate thingy:

Musashi, you jaded scoundrel , you. Most of us have seen our pipedreams fizzle and die, and are intimately familiar with the notion that we have learned less than we should have. Encourage the man. The interactive entertainment industry is nothing if not a spectator sport. There will be laughs either way.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: June 26, 2010, 12:18:49 PM

So what you are saying is that a complete fuckup will attract even more complete fuckups to his side so they can completely fuckup yet another new property with someone else's money?

Ok, we'll go with that.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #51 on: June 26, 2010, 01:08:34 PM

can we stop fucking feeling sorry for millionaire game developers who get more chances and more attention in life than they very probably deserve?  for fuck sakes people take it TN or Massively
Cylus
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 30, 2010, 03:17:53 AM

So what you are saying is that a complete fuckup will attract even more complete fuckups to his side so they can completely fuckup yet another new property with someone else's money?

Ok, we'll go with that.
Jerrith is reasonably proud of his contributiion to MMOs via SGO (he had a big hand in the Bard, Blood Mage (I think?) and Disciple class, as well as others).  I believe his point is that you shouldn't shit on everyone that worked at SGO just because Brad is/was, well...Brad.

I apologize for the bump but I ran into Brad's request on LinkedIn tonight.
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #53 on: June 30, 2010, 04:53:02 AM

Jerrith is reasonably proud of his contributiion to MMOs via SGO (he had a big hand in the Bard, Blood Mage (I think?) and Disciple class, as well as others).  I believe his point is that you shouldn't shit on everyone that worked at SGO just because Brad is/was, well...Brad.

That's part of it, but it's more how this thread was sounding like, "Oh, if only Brad wasn't at Sigil - Not a single bad decision would have been made and Vanguard would have been amazing!"

BTW, odd little bit of trivia:  When Vanguard went to SOE, I believe they didn't actually shut down Sigil.  The company was actually renamed to something else and kept around, at least for awhile.  No idea if it's still around or not, but I find the concept of it someday being revived / used as a real company amusing.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 30, 2010, 08:16:25 AM

That's part of it, but it's more how this thread was sounding like, "Oh, if only Brad wasn't at Sigil - Not a single bad decision would have been made and Vanguard would have been amazing!"

I don't think anyone has said (or even thought) that Sigil minus Brad = awesome.

It's an absurd thing to say. Didn't Brad found Sigil? Would Sigil and/or Vanguard have happened without Brad McQuaid? Were they not one and the same, right up until he ran away crying because he couldn't bear to fire his employees in the parking lot?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 08:20:52 AM

People do tend to forget that development groups and game companies are made of individuals, and not the Borg.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 08:43:04 AM

People do tend to forget that development groups and game companies are made of individuals, and not the Borg.

I'll remember that the next time a development or programming team gets canned.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 09:51:46 AM

Yeah one of the most vivid parts of VG I recall was at the end how little he was around the final months and when it came time to sell it off to SOE those "individuals" were all let go in a pretty cowardly manner. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: June 30, 2010, 12:46:40 PM

No. Vanguard was fucked from the ground up.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 30, 2010, 02:42:13 PM

No. Vanguard was fucked from the ground up.

Brad is just the icon of it's fail.  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #60 on: June 30, 2010, 03:11:22 PM

Brad McQuaid - The Fail Whale of MMOG's.  why so serious?

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #61 on: June 30, 2010, 03:13:12 PM

I still have hard time believing that Vanguard would be made without Brad.  Who else would try to make an EQ-killer in the age WoW?

"Me am play gods"
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 30, 2010, 05:12:23 PM

Vanguard had tons of innovative ideas, they just failed on execution. It can't really be reduced down to "EQ next".

Well OK, some of those ideas were failures in design too, like diplomacy. But still, it was an ambitious title.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 30, 2010, 07:31:07 PM

If you have spectacularly poor leadership at the top the probability of the game being good plummets. So while Brad might not have personally made every bad decision as the captain and leader he still gets to take responsibility. And in practice he put the people in, let the project drift and didn't support / control the situation once things were clearly going seriously wrong. The final stage of taking everyone out to the car-park and firing them by proxy being enough to dry up any remaining sympathy.

That said, if he can get people to up the money so he can have another go that's all well and good. Maybe he'll hit pay-dirt this time. It won't be my money :)

BTW, odd little bit of trivia:  When Vanguard went to SOE, I believe they didn't actually shut down Sigil.  The company was actually renamed to something else and kept around, at least for awhile.  No idea if it's still around or not, but I find the concept of it someday being revived / used as a real company amusing.

The company was already gutted prior to the sale and the title has steadily diminished since then... to the point at which it must be on minimum life support. The probability of a company name with only one massive failure on its record being brought out again seems unlikely, but then this is SOE who have a very flexible definition of success.

Vanguard had tons of innovative ideas? I must have missed them... the foundation was pure EQ next. It was obvious some of the actual developers did their best. The game had some wonderful architecture, some nice class design and even the diplomacy and crafting showed that someone really cared for it. But it was too obvious that the scope was way bigger than the content and the pieces just didn't come together. Riding through the massive capital cities and realizing that all the custom art pretty much added nothing to game-play is a failure of project management and game design.

I do remember them being very impressed with the idea of public dungeons that would spawn content locked to the group... but I don't think it ever really worked or was widely applied. Also seem to remember them trumpeting the lack of zones which was only marginally true in practice.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 30, 2010, 07:54:36 PM

Hey, who wants to go work for him  Grin
Kovacs
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 30, 2010, 08:02:17 PM

Damned with faint praise much? 

The fact that he was not the end all and be all of EVIL at SGO does not detract from his transgressions.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #66 on: June 30, 2010, 08:06:38 PM

It's my understanding that SOE bought VG out from Sigil and then Sigil died. I'm sure someone still holds the paper to the name, but I don't think that it's SOE.

Grimwell
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #67 on: June 30, 2010, 08:16:07 PM

As I understood it, McQuaid and the upper management fiddled while Sigil burned, and the only reason Vanguard was a functional game at all is because those lower on the totem pole scrabbled nobly to pull it together in the last few months.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #68 on: July 01, 2010, 05:48:52 AM

It's my understanding that SOE bought VG out from Sigil and then Sigil died. I'm sure someone still holds the paper to the name, but I don't think that it's SOE.

Yes, I should have been more clear.  When Sigil sold VG to SOE, it was the IP, not the company.  The company let everyone go, but it still existed.  The remaining Sigil management/owners didn't actually shut it down.  At some point around / after that it was renamed.  I find the idea that the company still exists (and could be used to start something new (which is what Brad's doing at the moment)) amusing.

Quote from: Kovacs
Damned with faint praise much?

The fact that he was not the end all and be all of EVIL at SGO does not detract from his transgressions.
The key is "his transgressions".  I exaggerated in my last post, but basically, I think some (by no means all!) of the things he's blamed for are really areas where he acted reasonably and trusted the intelligent people under him with skills he didn't have to do the right thing, but they (for whatever reason) failed.  Those shouldn't be included in "his transgressions" or if they are, then just as "fail to find / manage someone to do <X> correctly".  That's all.

Quote from: Kageru
The final stage of taking everyone out to the car-park and firing them by proxy being enough to dry up any remaining sympathy.
I have to agree that was rather lame.  I was no longer at Sigil then, and so it's not as strong in my mind as the many things I was there for.  If I'd been a part of that, I might be much less likely to say anything positive.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: July 01, 2010, 09:14:36 AM

Part of project management is finding the right guys with the right skills, as well as making sure the right tasks are being given to the right people rather than clueless fucksticks who are just scrounging a paycheck. If Brad assigned someone to a task they couldn't do, that's on him too.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The name's McQuaid, Brad McQuad...  
Jump to: