Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:31:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online  (Read 165433 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #560 on: January 16, 2012, 12:05:24 AM

That would be fraud.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #561 on: January 16, 2012, 02:19:13 AM

Layoffs At THQ's uDraw Division
This year the company expanded the uDraw line with new tablets and games for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The new lineup debuted on American shelves on November 15, but sales have been far lower than projected -- so low, in fact, that the company has reduced its financial outlook for this crucial holiday quarter by around 25 percent.

Recent statements by financial analysts, however, suggest that there could be more problems at THQ than the company is letting on: according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, the downfall in revenue would account for nearly every uDraw unit the company is estimated to have shipped, suggesting that sales were either fiercely lower than anyone had anticipated or the company has problems it has not yet disclosed to investors.

I bought the udraw tablet for the Wii for my daughter for Christmas, if I'd researched it first and noticed the lack of games I wouldn't.  I think it's a pretty good product for very young kids on the Wii but seems like a terrible decision to expect it to be popular on the xbox and playstation.

Hope DMO is eventually cancelled, it was going to be shit anyway.  Releasing the license means it will let someone else try it.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: January 16, 2012, 06:22:55 AM

I would love to see it as a FPS/RTS MMO hybrid, something new. Just another low budget WAR/WoW in space will fail.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #563 on: January 16, 2012, 06:23:05 AM

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #564 on: January 16, 2012, 06:45:51 AM

THQ's been on the skids for years.
Space Marine's launch was a disaster on every platform except the 360,

How so?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #565 on: January 16, 2012, 05:00:08 PM

Reputedly it sold poorly. Reviews of it were okay, but 2011 was a fantastic year for games so "okay" didn't cut it.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: January 16, 2012, 10:59:10 PM

THQ's been on the skids for years.
Space Marine's launch was a disaster on every platform except the 360,

How so?

Multiplayer, mainly. The PC version had a bunch of problems with it and the PS3 version's didn't work, period. "Disaster" may have been a bit of hyperbole, but the game did not do well at retail at all.

At any rate, even if THQ isn't (publicly) aligning themselves for a buyout, they still haven't been doing as well, financially, as they make themselves seem.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:00:55 PM by koro »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #567 on: January 29, 2012, 11:14:52 PM

Yeah, I have it on PC and it does indeed have serious issues - particularly with Multiplayer. Didn't know that about PS3. Definitely a disappointment overall. I looked for sales figures awhile back but couldn't find anything at all.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #568 on: January 30, 2012, 04:59:29 AM

THQ may have let go another 14 people from the Australian office and may be shuttering the Japan studio.

They have an shareholder conference call on Feb 2 where apparently they'll elaborate what is going on.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: February 01, 2012, 07:31:59 PM

"What is going on" is apparently the laying off of 240 employees and the CEO getting a massive pay cut. Their Japanese studio is also being shuttered, and they're ending their children's game product line. So no more Spongebob shovelware dollars.

I'm kind of surprised that the CEO was making under $1m a year, but what's less surprising is that THQ's on the verge of being delisted on NASDAQ.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:48:18 PM by koro »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #570 on: February 02, 2012, 04:14:57 PM

I wonder if THQ's Australian PR guys who denied the rumours still have their jobs?  awesome, for real

EDIT: THQ looking for help to fund W40K: DM. I'm sure the line of suitors for a struggling MMO that's years out from completion from a struggling publisher is long and varied.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:38:32 PM by UnSub »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #571 on: February 03, 2012, 09:15:21 AM

That sounds like just the sort of thing SOE specializes in.  awesome, for real

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: March 29, 2012, 11:49:08 AM

Well, I guess this is no longer an MMO now:

AGOURA HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar. 29, 2012-- THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) today announced that it has refocused Warhammer® 40,000®: Dark Millennium™ from a Massively Multiplayer Online game to an immersive single player and online multiplayer experience with robust digital content, and engaging community features. Further product details, platforms and release timing will be announced at a later date.

“As previously announced, we have been actively looking for a business partner for the game as an MMO. However, based on changing market dynamics and the additional investment required to complete the game as an MMO, we believe the right direction for us is to shift the title from an MMO to a premium experience with single and multiplayer gameplay, robust digital content and community features,” said Brian Farrell, President and CEO of THQ Inc. “Because we believe strongly in the high-quality and vast creative work that is in production, this is the right decision for both our portfolio and for gamers devoted to this powerful property.”

“We are genuinely excited about the new direction that THQ is taking with Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium, and we are sure that this will be a great addition to the ever growing stable of authentic and engaging Warhammer 40,000 video games,” said Jon Gillard, Head of Licensing for Games Workshop.

As a result of this change, team sizes at two THQ internal studios will be reduced by 79 full-time employees at Vigil Games in Austin, Texas, and 39 employees at Relic Entertainment in Vancouver, B.C.

Vigil Games will continue to focus on both this game and the critically-acclaimed new title, Darksiders® II, scheduled for release this summer. Relic Entertainment continues to focus its development expertise on THQ’s franchises including Company of Heroes® and Warhammer® 40,000®: Dawn of War®.

So basically the questing portion of the game is now the single-player component and we'll probably be getting some kind of coop, Horde Mode, or deathmatch to replace the "MMO" part.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: March 29, 2012, 11:53:58 AM

poop.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #574 on: March 29, 2012, 01:11:20 PM

Huh. I'm actually MORE interested in the game now that it's not an MMO.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: March 29, 2012, 02:02:57 PM

Huh. I'm actually MORE interested in the game now that it's not an MMO.

This.  Now if they'd just make it more like Blood Bowl.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #576 on: March 29, 2012, 02:07:00 PM

Not I.  There are plenty of 40K games out, wanted to see what a new Space Battle MMO could do.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #577 on: March 29, 2012, 02:11:42 PM

I'd guess if they are cost cutting they might now have a slightly different/cheaper license deal with GW.  If so somebody else can pick this up once Blizzard release world of starcraft, so we'll get a WOS clone instead of a WoW clone.  Lot of if's but better than killing the online license dead for 10 years like Mythic did with WAR.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: March 29, 2012, 03:45:25 PM

They realized their original dev. plan was borked from the start (because they went diku-questy instead of wargamey action FPS) so now they're backpeddling.  Smart move actually.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #579 on: March 29, 2012, 03:50:48 PM

There was no way vajuras was going to pull off a MMO.   awesome, for real

-Rasix
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: March 29, 2012, 04:43:39 PM

ooo, a new dawn of war game
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: March 29, 2012, 07:16:25 PM

Wonder if this change is a set back or a set forward for release. 
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #582 on: March 29, 2012, 07:41:44 PM

They realized their original dev. plan was borked from the start (because they went diku-questy instead of wargamey action FPS) so now they're backpeddling.  Smart move actually.

No, this is THQ cutting costs as rapidly as possible and trying to get something out ASAP. They're firing 100 staff and the remainder are there to get the game to a place that it can ship. 

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: March 30, 2012, 05:56:12 AM

No, this is THQ cutting costs as rapidly as possible and trying to get something out ASAP. They're firing 100 staff and the remainder are there to get the game to a place that it can ship. 

Maybe they'll just make a sequel to Space Marine. Or a DLC expansion, called Space Marine: Dark Millennium. Matter of fact, I'd put money on that happening.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #584 on: March 30, 2012, 01:27:43 PM

As much as I would have liked a 40k MMO, this probably would have been all kinds of fucked up, so it's probably for the best. I have no faith in anyone but Blizzard to do MMOs anymore, and even with them I'm skeptical.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: April 20, 2012, 07:30:20 AM

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-10-thq-explains-dark-milleniums-new-direction

Sounds like they are turning it into a more actionish game, a kind of Space Marine++ with more depth and better multiplayer scene. Not necessarily a bad thing, probably going to be a better game than another WoW in space clone.

I like the way the guy tries to play it off with the "we didn't want a MMO anyways, they are so uncool now" explanation, pretending it wasn't a near-bankruptcy that forced the change and requiring them to rush out a less complicated game that could bring in desperately needed revenue.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #586 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:50 AM

Wow, that article sounded like complete and utter bullshit from word one. "MMOG DEVS THOUGHT IT WAS TEH AWESOME!!!!"

If it was that fucking awesome, it wouldn't have had trouble finding dollars, dipshit, especially on the heels of a successful entry from the franchise fresh in people's minds (Space Marine). Nobody wants to invest in a subscription-only MMOG because they'd be competing against the behemoth of World of Warcraft AND the mildly successful Star Wars Old Republic.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #587 on: June 25, 2014, 03:07:23 PM

Not even sure I am necroing the right thread, the game is possibly a different one, but it's still a MMORPG and it's still Warhammer 40k. And it's also STILL not a real game, but you can send 450$ their way if you want some shit cherry on top of your Chris Roberts dream cake.

https://www.eternalcrusade.com/founder-store

Here's a video from the alpha. Don't forget to hold space to bleed fasterwhy so serious?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #588 on: June 25, 2014, 05:12:45 PM

I'm not sure we have a thread for this actual game. From what I understand this is more of a Planetside type game than anything else?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: June 25, 2014, 07:02:30 PM

My best friend is working on it. It's real, I don't know many details (he respects his employee NDAs and shit), and it's ambitious. As in maybe actually groundbreaking ambitious. It's a small team, though, so it's all going down to if their ambition is within their grasp. Team is mostly made up of the best line rank and file from Funcom.

Think Space Marine (the video game) cross with Planetside 2 and you're on the right track, I think
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #590 on: June 25, 2014, 07:51:18 PM

Space Marine?!
What, this is an action RPG?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #591 on: June 25, 2014, 11:36:32 PM

My best friend is working on it. It's real, I don't know many details (he respects his employee NDAs and shit), and it's ambitious. As in maybe actually groundbreaking ambitious. It's a small team, though, so it's all going down to if their ambition is within their grasp. Team is mostly made up of the best line rank and file from Funcom.

Think Space Marine (the video game) cross with Planetside 2 and you're on the right track, I think

Tell him, that if they just re-skin Planetside with Warhams, they'll make a mint.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: June 26, 2014, 04:51:51 AM

I'm not sure if it's been announced as such but the Founder packs scream 'retail-box-F2P-with-micro-transactions'

I can get behind the lowest tier package but looking at the others they just don't seem to offer any value _unless_ you plan to/are able to play all 4 factions (as you get each factions paid-for ranged weapon). Other than that you just seem to get more 'rogue trader money' which you can already purchase as separate bundles.

The question that needs to be asked though is will you be able to obtain these items (or better) by playing (like PS2) and are just paying for immediate/early access to them or if these are pay-to-win (at least at the start of the game)?

Odd that the loyalist marines have the least items for sale currently, I'd have expected the reverse (I was going to play Chaos but Legion Of The Damned skin!)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #593 on: June 26, 2014, 06:52:42 AM

Not to beat-up your friend, but I've highlighted a few red flags.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: June 26, 2014, 11:05:59 AM

No, I know. It's not beating up on anyone. It feels a little different, I think, in that there's not a lot of obvious cretins on the team that I'm aware of. It's very lean but very talented. Sometimes very lean is the toughest mountain to climb with a big MMO.

I'm reasonably confident it'll at least be playable. That said, I'm not actually paying any more attention to it right now than I am in any other MMO at a comparable stage of development. I just don't do alpha/beta hype much anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online  
Jump to: