Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:19:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: End of Nations (MMORTS) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: End of Nations (MMORTS)  (Read 72199 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 09:32:05 PM

Using traditional co-op RTS maps as a gateway into PvE for an MMORTS is a bit of genius imo.  Very nice design choice.  Realize that most coop campaigns are already somewhat RPG in nature, 'specially titles like DoW.  The persistence is already built in, so translating that into a larger global-map metagame (for PvP) is fairly nobrainerish.

Your ability to own the map for your faction after that will then be somewhat dependent on your co-op PvE skill, since gear in RTS's is ridiculously important.  My main concern is how they'll provide enough campaign material to make it worthwhile.  Is PvP the endgame? 

I'm willing to bet they'll do a model similar to BattleForge, whereas you merely scratch the surface by completing a coop PvE map (on normal difficulty); the difficulty slider is the great equalizer and offers totally different gameplay opportunities.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 04:37:55 AM

Using traditional co-op RTS maps as a gateway into PvE for an MMORTS is a bit of genius imo.  Very nice design choice.  Realize that most coop campaigns are already somewhat RPG in nature, 'specially titles like DoW.  The persistence is already built in, so translating that into a larger global-map metagame (for PvP) is fairly nobrainerish.

Your ability to own the map for your faction after that will then be somewhat dependent on your co-op PvE skill, since gear in RTS's is ridiculously important.  My main concern is how they'll provide enough campaign material to make it worthwhile.  Is PvP the endgame? 

I'm willing to bet they'll do a model similar to BattleForge, whereas you merely scratch the surface by completing a coop PvE map (on normal difficulty); the difficulty slider is the great equalizer and offers totally different gameplay opportunities.

My understanding is that there are missions that act like dungeons do, so you would probably end up farming them or whatever in the end game, at least PvE wise.  Perhaps different ones will be available to you based on what zones your side controls or some jazz.  I also hope the zone control doesn't do something like WAR where you have to coax everyone on your side to doing the perfect combination of PvP, PvE and so forth just to flip a zone.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 12, 2010, 09:35:30 PM

Shattered Galaxy is like 10 years old now.

Game Informer...yeah...

Also Shattered Galaxy was great fun.

Indeed SG was amazing despite looking like a 10 year old game even during beta.  If someone actually made a western version of SG they'd probably rake in some serious cash.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 07:11:35 AM

New update on the websit: http://www.endofnations.com/en/game/pve/army-building.php

Highlights:
One of the most satisfying wages of war is building your army from a basic, effective unit into a crack force of high-tech vehicles that’ll give your enemies night terrors. End of Nations offers literally hundreds of units you can build, salvage, or recruit into your ever-expanding arsenal. How you build your army will vary according to your command style.

Lowlights:
Many units you collect will be part of a coherent set, a group sharing a theme and focus that you can deploy together for a bonus.

End of Nations also sports rare units: unusually powerful vehicles more effective than their points cost would indicate. These range in rarity from uncommon, high-performance models to prototypes that can turn the course of battle on their own. Rare units are both more powerful and visually impressive than common units of the same cost. Everyone will know just what you had to do to get these elite vehicles, even before you open fire.
ACK! ACK! ACK!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 04, 2010, 08:36:28 AM

So it's Battleforge mixed with diku style 'armor sets.'  Kinda neat actually, not really a lowlight imo.  And bonus' between particular unit types in a strat. game is nothing new really.
I mean, it's F2P right?  They gotta pay for it somehow and the biggest problem for these newer collectible strat. MMOs has been actually making the game WORTH collecting for.

So far, my biggest issue with game is simply the theme (for collectibility sake).  Just dont like it and most 'normal' folk certainly wont drop coin on some bland minis-style military units.  The game really needed to be based on a more sci/fantasy-based IP.  If the latter isnt possible then they should probably choose a different payment model.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 09:36:53 AM

So it's Battleforge mixed with diku style 'armor sets.'  Kinda neat actually, not really a lowlight imo.  And bonus' between particular unit types in a strat. game is nothing new really.
I mean, it's F2P right?  They gotta pay for it somehow and the biggest problem for these newer collectible strat. MMOs has been actually making the game WORTH collecting for.

So far, my biggest issue with game is simply the theme (for collectibility sake).  Just dont like it and most 'normal' folk certainly wont drop coin on some bland minis-style military units.  The game really needed to be based on a more sci/fantasy-based IP.  If the latter isnt possible then they should probably choose a different payment model.

They haven't announced the pricing plan, most people assume normal monthly fee.  This is a diku RTS, if such a fucking this is possible.  What a joke.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 10:48:02 AM

I'm confused.  Rarity is the diku diceroll?
How the hell do you balance such a thing?  (assuming there's meaningful stats attached)  Kind of a nightmare.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 11:36:29 AM

I'm confused.  Rarity is the diku diceroll?
How the hell do you balance such a thing?  (assuming there's meaningful stats attached)  Kind of a nightmare.

Yeah, combined with the fact that they are going to have bosses that drop these new units (or the item that allows you to get them, or whatever), I really just don't understand what they are doing.  PvP could quickly get out of hand with rare units ruling the battefield because they will be better per cost.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 08:58:16 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011, 09:10:41 AM

The PvP territory control meta game sounds really cool.  There seems to be a lot of RTS Diku in there too though, I'm hoping I don't have to farm bosses to get the loot I need to PvP.

edit: There had been murmurings about the territory control meta game for a long time, but I think this may be the first official confirmation.  It sounds more global agenda AvA than EVE Online AvA, but I can make that work I think, as long as there are enough people doing it to keep it fun.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:16:48 AM by Malakili »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 12:30:46 PM

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:32:42 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 05:51:08 PM

I want to know how many players they plan to have per battle.   I really hope they plan to go with something like Shattered Galaxies system where you'd have up to 40 people in a battle and you'd control like 6~12 units (depending on their power).
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 06:15:03 PM

I want to know how many players they plan to have per battle.   I really hope they plan to go with something like Shattered Galaxies system where you'd have up to 40 people in a battle and you'd control like 6~12 units (depending on their power).

They've said 50+, the armies are going to vary in size based on the map or mission or something.  It sounds like a warhammer esque you get to bring X points of units each mission.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 06:54:01 AM

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 08:01:26 AM

Surprised it has taken someone 10 years to re-do Shattered Galaxy which was a perfect blueprint for any future MMORTS. Was also a very fun game.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 08:04:03 AM

My main problem with this game is a still don't have a good feel for how its actually going to play.  Whats the pace of combat, what can I expect to do in a typical session when I log in.  Lots of vague stuff, very few specifics, and frankly I'm losing interest. I wish they would release a bunch of gameplay videos.  There are only a couple floating around and they are probably so outdated to be irrelevant at this point.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 08:13:35 AM

I believe this has been playable at a few shows, so there are testimonials and first impressions out there.

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 11:18:40 AM

Can I start the 2 player faction vs. 3 player faction argument yet?
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 11:19:29 AM

technically they are 3  awesome, for real
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 22, 2011, 11:21:37 AM

Feel free, this thread is going to be dead otherwise.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 22, 2011, 12:53:59 PM

There are three + player made.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 22, 2011, 03:58:23 PM

This game only needs 1 faction since you can't control whole armies anyways.   I was actually a bit annoyed when they announced two factions.    Now not only do they have to deal with per unit balance they have to worry about faction balance.  Plus you get the joy of not being able to use half the units.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: July 22, 2011, 04:55:23 PM

There are three + player made.

I'm confused, the video seemed to suggest 1 big NPC faction and 2 different Player factions both hating the NPC faction (not 100% sure the player factions fight each other as well, but assume yes).  But quite possible I've got it all wrong.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 22, 2011, 07:09:53 PM

I'm confused, the video seemed to suggest 1 big NPC faction and 2 different Player factions both hating the NPC faction (not 100% sure the player factions fight each other as well, but assume yes).  But quite possible I've got it all wrong.

No you got it right.   Not sure how the hell player made factions are a faction in this context.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 24, 2011, 02:08:38 PM

There will be a player tournament at gamescon apparently.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 24, 2011, 02:21:11 PM

There will be a player tournament at gamescon apparently.

Don't really understand why they are trying to push that kind of competitive format in this game.  SC2 has it all wrapped up.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 24, 2011, 03:46:55 PM

Competitive rts doesn't end at SC2.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 24, 2011, 03:54:33 PM

Competitive rts doesn't end at SC2.

No it doesn't, but the huge huge HUGE majority of that  community is with SC2 and will be staying with it for the forseeable future.  I'm happy they are showing it simply because I'm eager to see some "real" gameplay, but it doesn't strike me as their actual target audience.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 24, 2011, 05:09:41 PM

How can an mmorts be a competitive rts at the same time??   Head scratch

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 24, 2011, 05:19:48 PM

Beats me. While I am interested in this game, I've kind of checked out in terms of staying up to date with it, maybe they have something interesting planned.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 24, 2011, 05:21:58 PM

Well, the first news that came out of a game called a mmorts was about how awesome it will be to run co-op missions against the evil AI faction. Even the first gameplay videos were only vehicles to show off the engaging player(s) vs uber enemy mob, with fortresses being boss battles. What would perk my interest in this game would be a pvp aspect, but i don't have high hopes for it. the real game to these devs is the co-op mission running aspect. Its not a bad move, SC2 is banking on the campaign only crowd to buy 3 more boxes of starcraft.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011, 05:28:51 PM

Well, the first news that came out of a game called a mmorts was about how awesome it will be to run co-op missions against the evil AI faction. Even the first gameplay videos were only vehicles to show off the engaging player(s) vs uber enemy mob, with fortresses being boss battles. What would perk my interest in this game would be a pvp aspect, but i don't have high hopes for it. the real game to these devs is the co-op mission running aspect. Its not a bad move, SC2 is banking on the campaign only crowd to buy 3 more boxes of starcraft.

Yeah, it is very much trying to DIKU RTS for the PvE part.  There were murmurings a while back about some kind of Global Agenda esque PvP meta game that sounded interesting if not especially compelling.  I guess we will see.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 24, 2011, 05:34:57 PM

I was shrilling for the global agenda metagame till i realized that global agenda makes a god aweful shooter. I hope end of nations won't give me the same bad taste.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 25, 2011, 02:20:02 AM

Anything can be competitive. People compete over which raindrop dribbles down the window first. From the video the dev says "it's about proving your faction should be the one to take down Order of Nations". My thought was maybe there's a leaderboard with Realm Points or some such and you get points for your side for each map completed (pvp or pve). Or there are lots of other ways they can do a two-horse race.

As for SC2 I doubt I'm alone in preferring SG's more lazy gameplay over SC's frenetic micromanagement. In SC a second I don't complete multiple actions is a second conceded to my opponent, in SG I could control click my group of cockroaches and send them to the other side of the map set to attack anything they meet then alt tab until the match was over. Not that I did that every match but it's a playstyle I infinitely prefer. Pressure, stress, fast accurate clicking - not everybody's cup of tea.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 25, 2011, 04:39:39 AM

What SG?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: End of Nations (MMORTS)  
Jump to: