Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gog.com 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gog.com  (Read 223569 times)
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 08:45:36 AM

So...I fired BG1 up this morning just to get a taste of it and I don't know if I can hang with the graphics.  It's worse than Diablo 2 (which is basically my tipping point nowadays).  I'm going to have to do the mod that lets you play in the BG2 engine I think.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 09:05:30 AM

Yep, and there's resolution hacks widely available.  Don't know how much more bearable that'd make it for you.

-Rasix
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 05:08:10 AM

Wow...all the Infinity Engine classics, no DRM...$50.

Are there widescreen/engine updates/patches/hacks for ALL of them or only BG1/2?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 11:45:46 AM

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 12:26:22 PM by Velorath »
Strazos

Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 03:20:11 PM

Has anyone tried their Temple of Elemental Evil? Good/Bad? I remember a bug at launch that could format your drives.... Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 21, 2010, 07:22:43 PM

Unless I'm misremembering, it was the Pool of Radiance abortion that no one in their right mind touched that did that, on uninstall, not Temple of Elemental Evil.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #41 on: November 21, 2010, 07:26:20 PM

TOEE was OK, but it's very esoteric if you have never played 3.5. It was riddled with bugs (I personally ran into one and could not complete the game) though I am sure most have been fixed.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 21, 2010, 07:27:25 PM

I think you're right, Ard - I vaguely recollect a Turbine coworker asserting "PoR = PoS." He also said the game was so bad that if he cut you with the disc, the wound would fester.

I never played it myself, though.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Strazos

Reply #43 on: November 21, 2010, 08:09:25 PM

I'm waiting for a good game to use 4.0.

Fear the Backstab!
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 21, 2010, 09:02:10 PM

ToEE is a turn-based 3.5 dungeon crawl first and foremost, with practically no story to speak of.   IMO, it's quite good at its narrow focus on dungeon crawling tactics.  I really enjoyed the combat, which is good, because that's all there is.  And I don't recall the bugs being too bad post patch.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #45 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31:15 PM

Google up Circle of Eight Patch mod. They fixed a lot of broken things with TOEE and even restored cut content.
I think it's a huge waste they made such a plot-less game. The engine is excellent overall, probably the most faithful to the table top system to date. Too bad Troika couldn't get make another game with that engine.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #46 on: November 22, 2010, 11:48:14 AM

He also said the game was so bad that if he cut you with the disc, the wound would fester.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Descent to Undermountain?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 22, 2010, 12:08:50 PM

Descent to Undermountain wasn't good, but it wasn't nearly as bad as Pool of Radiance.  I'm a sucker for dnd games, and the demo for it was the first one that ever made me go "What is this shit?  Who thought this was a good idea?".  At least the demo didn't destroy your hard drive, so I was able to dodge that bullet.  It's a game that was so bad, most people don't even remember it existed, and with good reason.

That said, maybe I should go fire up ToEE over the holiday weekend.  I need more masochism in my diet.

edit: and I suppose I should quantify my hatred by stating that I like DnD: Tactics for the PSP, even with as clunky as that game is.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:11:00 PM by Ard »
WayAbvPar

Reply #48 on: November 22, 2010, 01:20:56 PM

ToEE is fun of you are into 3.5e turn-based content. I am not wild about the UI or the travel, but it is solid for what it does. Sure wish someone would take the engine and run with it for all the old school modules. God that would rule.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 09:13:35 AM

Ok, so I sucked it up and took the plunge into BG1 for the first time.  I rolled a human mage named Bartleby.  He has some pretty ridiculous stats (14 STR/16 CON/18 INT/18 DEX/8 CHA/13 WIS) but hey, if the game lets you re-roll repeatedly then I'm going to take advantage of that. 

The graphics were almost too much to bear at first, but after about 30 minutes, I was at peace with the muddy resolution.  The graphics/art actually remind me of Ultima Online.  Which is both good and bad. 

Gorion died (spoiler alert!) and then Imoen found me in the forest and she was a welcome addition to my party because I had 6 hit points and could (and did) die in one hit to random assassins that accost me at every inn I happen to grace with my patronage.

Also, as an aside, I can't even fucking believe ADnD mages start with 1 fucking spell.  Insane. In fights, I basically cast sleep, hope it lands, then chuck darts for all I'm worth.  If this game divvies up experience based on damage dealt/last hit then my mage is fucked.

Anyway, made my way to the Friendly Arm Inn, met up with a fighter/druid and a fighter (Gorion's buds) and then journeyed south to Naskel to figure out what's up with the iron shortage.  I'm level 2 now and can cast 2 spells.  I'M A GOD.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 26, 2010, 10:30:20 AM

If this game divvies up experience based on damage dealt/last hit then my mage is fucked.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Shadow Keeper time.

(You're using the BGII engine, right?)
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 27, 2010, 11:02:26 AM

Neg, keeping it real.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 27, 2010, 04:51:23 PM

XP should be split evenly amongst your party I thought.  #1 thing about BG1 to make it immensely easier:  Use ranged weapons on everyone.

As for the resolution.  Is the widescreen mod installed?  http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

I'm playing through BG1 again as well...and to be honest it might as well be for the first time.  The last time I played this game was probably 12 years ago.  Chaotic Neutral dwarven cleric.  He'll be a little bit loony.
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 27, 2010, 09:36:35 PM

AD&D mages until they get fireball are just an investment by the rest of the party.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: November 27, 2010, 10:20:44 PM

Even with the limited options of a video game, there's a lot better things for a mage to do in nearly all situations than to waste their spell slots on something like Fireball.  If AoE damage is important, wands are the way to go about it, in general.

One of the most fun tactical challenges that series presents is playing a solo mage from beginning to end.  Especially if you do it with the original xp limits in place, so you can't get higher level than the game allows in each segment (so no ToB powers in BG2, for instance).

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #55 on: November 29, 2010, 06:06:25 PM

XP is evenly divided in BG, no fear about that.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 29, 2010, 11:03:10 PM

Even with the limited options of a video game, there's a lot better things for a mage to do in nearly all situations than to waste their spell slots on something like Fireball. 
etc...

Wands (or most magic items really) were extremely rare in the campaigns I played, I wasn't talking about Baldur's Gate particularly.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 30, 2010, 12:45:53 PM

XP is evenly divided in BG, no fear about that.

...But the amount required for a level varies with each class, with mage leveling the slowest, and hitting the experience cap at a lower level than everyone else.  I remembered there was something godawfully punitive about the way they handled mages, just took a while to recall.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:50:57 PM by Sheepherder »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 30, 2010, 12:47:35 PM

At first. They accelerate past some of the other classes through the middle levels. There's not a lot of rhyme or reason to 1/2e AD&D leveling.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 30, 2010, 12:52:14 PM

Ranger and Paladin.

I dug out a FAQ.  God that shit is messed.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 30, 2010, 01:29:21 PM

Nothing compared to druids. They level insanely fast at first and then just... stop.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 01, 2010, 11:12:38 AM

I kind of dug the asymmetrical nature of AD&D.  The nature of DnD is that is doesn't require the kind of fine-tuned balance other games might.  There's a fucking DM who is supposed to calibrate encounters.  All that is required is that each class have a sufficient draw so that people will find it interesting to play.  Once you start balancing with a fine-toothed comb things can get "samey" in a hurry.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 01, 2010, 12:07:14 PM

I kind of dug the asymmetrical nature of AD&D.  The nature of DnD is that is doesn't require the kind of fine-tuned balance other games might.  There's a fucking DM who is supposed to calibrate encounters.  All that is required is that each class have a sufficient draw so that people will find it interesting to play.  Once you start balancing with a fine-toothed comb things can get "samey" in a hurry.

A million times this.  Unfortunately it seems like they've tried to make 4th edition using video game ideas, and the result has been a little bland.  I'll take imbalanced 3rd or 3.5 anyday (or more likely pathfinder at this point).  I do actually like the way that combat works in 4th, it has a nice flow to it and every class has something useful to do every round, but on the flip side, I've found it a lot less interesting overall than 3rd or 2nd.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #63 on: December 01, 2010, 12:25:10 PM

I'm playing NWN2 Gold using the 3.5 version, and it's pretty fun for a guy who never played any pnp games or D&D systems before. My only complaint is that it's pretty linear and insanely long. It's not the good kind of long either. It's the kind of long where I'm told I need to get into a certain part of the town, but the cockblocking guard captain makes me her bitch over and over again. And just when you think you can't possibly have to do more quests for this whore, you do 3 more.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 01, 2010, 01:06:49 PM

A million times this.  Unfortunately it seems like they've tried to make 4th edition using video game ideas, and the result has been a little bland.  I'll take imbalanced 3rd or 3.5 anyday (or more likely pathfinder at this point).  I do actually like the way that combat works in 4th, it has a nice flow to it and every class has something useful to do every round, but on the flip side, I've found it a lot less interesting overall than 3rd or 2nd.

Yeah I don't get that.  Is there now PvP in DnD or what?  I stopped knowing anything about it after 2.0.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 01, 2010, 01:43:06 PM

4.0 seemed to be built with the idea of porting it to a simple computer game.  It feels like playing an MMO.  On your table.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 01, 2010, 02:03:28 PM

Really, really do not agree. I've had this argument so many times though that I don't want to do it again. If it feels like a video game, then it feels like a tactical RPG, not an MMO.

Strazos

Reply #67 on: December 01, 2010, 05:55:00 PM

I really did not want to try 4.0...but once I did, I was hooked. I feel like I have more options with my characters. It kind of feels like a SRPG, but I'm ok with that; one of my favorite games of all time is FFT.

But frankly, I like PnP in general, and could probably enjoy a very large variety of systems with the right folks.

Fear the Backstab!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 01, 2010, 09:35:09 PM

I tried 4.0 for the first time. It feels a lot more like a tactical board game combined with magic spell-cards. Which isn't actually a bad basis. An amazingly painful number of short-lived stacking modifiers though which was a pain. And ultimately the cards are so specific they still end up feeling repetitive and focusing attention too much on the combination of the cards rather than the action in-game.

What I don't like is the combination with WotC's marketing strategy. Endless rulebooks that get more and more exotic and push the power curve. Being the only human in a group with a drow skirmisher, half-dwarf psionic tank, minotaur rune-priest and some even weirder combinations (which didn't actually leave a strong image of what they were) felt worlds away from the strong archetypes of original DnD.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #69 on: December 02, 2010, 02:08:11 AM

I tried 4.0 for the first time. It feels a lot more like a tactical board game combined with magic spell-cards. Which isn't actually a bad basis. An amazingly painful number of short-lived stacking modifiers though which was a pain. And ultimately the cards are so specific they still end up feeling repetitive and focusing attention too much on the combination of the cards rather than the action in-game.

What I don't like is the combination with WotC's marketing strategy. Endless rulebooks that get more and more exotic and push the power curve. Being the only human in a group with a drow skirmisher, half-dwarf psionic tank, minotaur rune-priest and some even weirder combinations (which didn't actually leave a strong image of what they were) felt worlds away from the strong archetypes of original DnD.

That's pretty much been the marketing strategy since 2nd Edition.  Honestly though, I'm not sure what other product strategy RPG publishers could use.  Modules and campaign settings don't sell to the sizable portion of the audience that comes up with their own stuff.  Rule supplements have more broad appeal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gog.com  
Jump to: