Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:40:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Justified 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Justified  (Read 58955 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

on: March 17, 2010, 09:58:14 AM

First episode last night on FX.  Getting rave reviews, and I really enjoyed the premiere.  It basically feels like an updated, modern Western combined with a cop show.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:55:46 AM

First episode last night on FX.  Getting rave reviews, and I really enjoyed the premiere.  It basically feels like an updated, modern Western combined with a cop show.

DVR'd it for friday night most likely. The trailers for it looked pretty good so I figured what the hell.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 11:16:54 AM

I liked it, will keep watching.  Its like Seth Bullock found a time machine.

I am the .00000001428%
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:21:25 PM

I liked it, will keep watching.  Its like Seth Bullock found a time machine.

Olyphant was really good, but the character is the opposite of Bullock.  As a character, Bullock was devoutly moral in an environment of immorality/amorality which caused much of his anger and frustration.  He was so moral, he tried to committ suicide by Swerengen over his guilt about having an affair with Alma.

This character almost feels like a psychopath who has found a loophole to legally get away with indulging his base desire to murder people.  But he is one charming, badass mofo.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 03:51:54 PM

Shane Vandrell Lives! 

This show definitely gets the "three episode grace period".  I found the direction and cinematography to be quite bland, and the characters lacking a bit of nuance, but the show has potential.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 12:33:17 AM

I just saw the show based on the forum's recommendation. Pretty good pilot. The problem I have is that the Kentuckian accents needs getting some used to. Due to that problem, I have some questions:

The show kind of gives the impression (IMO) that Lexington, Kentucky is a small rural town but I think its a rather major city.

Also how likely is it for a wife to be released on her own recognizance after killing a husband with a 30-06 rifle while he was having dinner (not in self defense).

Good show though - gonna follow it for a few episodes, hope they don't go too overboard with the "authentic" accents.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:38:37 AM by Ubvman »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 12:50:37 AM

I just saw the show based on the forum's recommendation. Pretty good pilot. The problem I have is that the Kentuckian accents needs getting some used to. Due to that problem, I have some questions:

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 07:59:52 AM

Yeah, she clearly got her shot off after he was already falling backwards and the gun kicked up.  And he was the instructor at the police training camp that taught recruits to always shoot for the heart, i don't believe for a second he missed.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:30:25 AM

Watched last night. I was not disappointed

Definitely getting the SEASON RECORD option on the DirecTV dvr.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 08:07:14 AM

This character almost feels like a psychopath who has found a loophole to legally get away with indulging his base desire to murder people.  But he is one charming, badass mofo.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. He and the BBEG had nearly identical lives up to adulthood and they were best friends. The difference though seems to be that the marshall found an accepable method for venting his rage at the world, while his friend chose to do the same by rejecting the idea that society and law matter.

Also, Lexington is a pretty big city (It reminded me a lot of Columbus), but 10 minutes outside of town it's a whole different world. Or at least it was in the mid-90's.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 04:04:08 PM

Just finished watching ep #2.  This has potential to be my favorite show on TV.  The writing is stellar and the acting is top notch so far. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 06:21:02 AM

Since I am a broke mo-fo, I have to work when this comes on; however, I have been recording this show and I may not erase it from the DVR. I am pleasantly surprised with how much I am enjoying watching this show.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 04:48:02 AM

Maybe I  should DVR it, but it just seems like a modern-day Deadwood.  T.O. seems to be playing another angry sheriff.  NOTHING must trample my love of Deadwood!  Do you hear me?!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 11:49:17 AM

Maybe I  should DVR it, but it just seems like a modern-day Deadwood.  T.O. seems to be playing another angry sheriff.  NOTHING must trample my love of Deadwood!  Do you hear me?!

Don't be silly; not only has there not been a single utterance of cocksucker, but there is no Swearingen character.

I like Timothy Olyphant's character much more in this than Deadwood, for some reason. I think it's that he has a sense of humor in this but lacked one in that.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 05:03:09 PM

That third episode really sucked.  Needs more Vendrell.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 03:39:36 AM

I disagree. The third episode screamed Elmore Leonard. And since Elmore Leonard wrote the character, I thought it fit.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 05:27:57 AM

The third episode felt too rushed for some reason. Seemed to be over without any build or any development. I still dig the show, but when it was over this week it felt like there was something missing - maybe the lack of a hook or something.

WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 10:40:53 AM

Have now watched this two Sunday nights in a row, and I think I am hooked. Have always liked Olyphant, and he doesn't disappoint here.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 01:25:27 PM

Yeah, I'm digging this show. Olyphant playing a pissed off badass lawman? Sign me up.

As for Lexington, I've never been, but it's the South. If it's anything like Mississippi, you can have fairly cosmopolitan cities (though not quite New York level cosmo) that suddenly turn to barren, redneck wastelands in the blink of an eye.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 03:13:26 PM

>Olyphant playing a pissed off badass lawman
And yet, I get this feeling of him being a social worker trying to help people even if "helping" them is putting them down like a rabid dog.  Certainly he likes the criminals more than anyone else in law enforcement.

"Me am play gods"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 03:27:21 PM

That's typical of Leonard's stuff.  The criminals are usually compelling characters and the nominal protagonist often straddles the line between them and the institutional "law". 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 03:48:29 PM

>Olyphant playing a pissed off badass lawman
And yet, I get this feeling of him being a social worker trying to help people even if "helping" them is putting them down like a rabid dog.  Certainly he likes the criminals more than anyone else in law enforcement.

Yeah, so far there's a human element to the "bad-guys" that is lacking in the other crime dramas... in those shows there seems to be a certain lust for depravity.

The episode where the old-timer escapes and locks Olyphant in the cooler was the hook that made me think there might be something to this show... the dialogue was extremely well done, and presented a much more interesting criminal/lawman dialectic.

If they can avoid the inevitable soap-opera relationship drama that seems to be lurking at the edges, the show might blossom.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 04:00:11 PM

Yeah, I'm digging this show. Olyphant playing a pissed off badass lawman? Sign me up.

As for Lexington, I've never been, but it's the South. If it's anything like Mississippi, you can have fairly cosmopolitan cities (though not quite New York level cosmo) that suddenly turn to barren, redneck wastelands in the blink of an eye.

Been to Lexington. Yeah, it was pretty much like that. Put a northern brown guy in there with his blonde, blue-eyed local girlfriend in there in the early 90s and watch the fun happen.  ACK!

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 08:37:13 AM

The show with his father was fantastic.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 10:27:23 PM

This show is really turning into a solid series. If you can catch up with it I recommend trying to do so.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 02:58:55 AM

I agree. The characters are developing quite well and I am liking the dynamic between Boyd and Raylan. This, House, and Dr. Who are the only things I religiously watch.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 04:29:35 AM

This is actually becoming our favorite show on TV right now. 

"...because I didn't order assholes with my whiskey."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 09:13:36 AM

I'm about 2 episodes behind now, but I am definitely loving this show. Walton Goggins as Boyd Crowder is doing a damn good job with his portrayal of the villain. I'm especially loving the "Trying to save your soul, Raylen" speeches he keeps giving.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 10:12:44 AM

Goggins is going to be on NPR's "Fresh Air" today.  Damn librul media tellin' me about TV stuffs.

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 10:28:44 AM

How do you guys find these things?  I browse to see what's on the telly and I've never even heard of half the shows you watch.  Are you all members of some secret tv society?  Can I join?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 12:00:14 PM

This is actually becoming our favorite show on TV right now. 

Same here.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 09:44:09 AM

Quote from: Raylan Gibbons
Dear Lord, before we eat this meal, we ask forgiveness for our sins - especially Boyd, who blew up a black church with a rocket launcher, and afterwards he shot his associate Jared Hale in the back of the head out on Tate Street Bridge. Let the image of Jared's brain matter on that windshield not dampen our appetites, but may the knowledge of Boyd's past sins help guide these men. May this food provide them with all the nourishment they need. But if it does not, may they find comfort in knowing that the United States Marshals Service is offering $50,000 to any individual providing information that'll put Boyd back in prison. Cash or check, You can make it out to them or... to Jesus, whoever they want. In Your name, we pray. Amen.

Fucking awesome. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I am the .00000001428%
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 07:07:24 AM

Another great episode last night.  This Bo Crowder arc with its satisfyingly tangled web, great stuff.

For a while this show was getting pretty weak, what with the single episode encapsulated plot lines and no larger story, but they have rescued it very nicely.

Why don't you try our other games?
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 08:05:18 AM

How do you guys find these things?  I browse to see what's on the telly and I've never even heard of half the shows you watch.  Are you all members of some secret tv society?  Can I join?

The FX channel consistently has the best TV shows these past few years. 

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 10:38:04 AM

Boyd is turning into a very interesting (anti-)hero.

I wonder if the conversion is genuine.  IMO, the show will demonstrate superior writing and longevity if they keep Boyd as a true believer in a Dark-Vigilante-Pentecostal sort of way.  If it devolves into the cynical (but obvious) arc of him using his "faith" to take over the family business... well, then, meh.

Oh, and while we're in wishful thinking mode... drop the relationship drama; the show hits a visible stutter when they drag out the triangle arc - it is simply too formulaic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Justified  
Jump to: